• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP3000 vs PSPGo screen difference?

I have an old PSP1000 and the screen is pretty scratched, the speakers are buzzing, and then today the analog nub broke, so I'm thinking about upgrading to a newer model.

The main thing that annoyed me about the PSP1000 screen was that it is highly reflective, even when I'm on the bus during the day I ofter have a hard time making out what is on screen.

So the question: how is the glare on PSP3000 or PSPGo, compared to the PSP1000?

Also, even if I think it's overpriced, I'm temped by the PSPGo... 3 free games right now and a bit more portable, and I love the digital aspect of it, I'm already buying all my PSP game digital on the PSN.

So what are the screen diffences between the 3000 and the Go?

I can't compare to the 3000 as I've never owned one, but games look gorgeous on the Go and if you don't value the screen size itself over everything else, and going by what you said about owning a lot of PSN games, I have to recommend the Go. The 3 free games are definitely a good deal and if you don't have a large UMD library there's really no reason to choose the 3000 over the Go.

Takao

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
Come to think of it I've never seen the PSP 3000's screen in person, but the Go does actually have a mild scanline/interlacing effect. Is the 3000 worse?

3000 has a worse screen than the Go in terms of interlacing. The 3000's screen is also a tad bit larger. Both don't do great with the sun's full force on it, but with the lowest brightness settings you can see what's going on.

I've had each PSP model at one point, and I can tell you, despite their faults the screens are miles better than what's in the 1000 and 2000.

Luigiv

All versions of the PSP use glossy screens, so you'll still have to deal with glare. (the best cure for this is to play were there is uniform ambient light behind you).

The difference between the Go's and the 3000's screens are particularly big. Other then the size difference (which is better is up to you) the Go also doesn't have the "interlacing" issue the 3000 does. That being said the interlacing issue isn't all that bad. You'll only really notice it if you look for it.

If Im not mistaken there was a thread comparing each PSP's Screen with the Go, and to me the 3000 and Go look pretty similar. Anyways, just bought a 3000 not too long ago and I dont regret it, I prefer having UMD's with a box and instruction manuals than looking for a wifi spot and buying games,

Massa

I upgraded from a 3000 to a PSP Go and I love the screen. It doesn't have the interlacing issue, it's brighter and the higher pixel density just makes things look a lot better.

bigswords

I have a PSP GO the screen is sharper due to it's slightly smaller size, but better contrast and colour levels with no interlacing.

But I feel kind of gimped going the digital route as the Asian marketplace for PSN is a totaly failure.

I only buy games digital from the PC from now on, unless this region shit gets fixed.

Luigiv

bigswords said:
I have a PSP GO the screen is sharper due to it's slightly smaller size, but better contrast and colour levels with no interlacing.

But I feel kind of gimped going the digital route as the Asian marketplace for PSN is a totaly failure.

I only buy games digital from the PC from now on, unless this region shit gets fixed.
Yeah, Aussie/PAL store isn't so flash either. I wish the PSP treated downloadable games the same way the PS3 does. Using multiple PSN accounts is way more of a hassle then it should be.

What's the state of the content on the PSN store?

Are all new PSP releases available on the PSN store, day one? And what about the back catalog?

B.K.

chesspieceface said:
And what about the back catalog?

It sucks. There are lots of games that aren't on there and probably never will be. If you have a lot of games on UMD, there will be games that you won't be able to get on the PSN.

Narcosis

B.K. said:
It sucks. There are lots of games that aren't on there and probably never will be. If you have a lot of games on UMD, there will be games that you won't be able to get on the PSN.

And this is the main reason the PSP Go is crap (extra cost would be number 2 reason)

It's bad enough Sony removed backwards compatibility with the previous gen on the PS3, but to make a device that can't play a good chunk of games from it's own generation mid-cycle is stupid and a total screwjob for any gamer who acquires the device.

[edit] To the OP, just buy a 3000. It's the best all around model of the PSP.

Played the shit out my 3000 and haven't noticed any interlacing issues. It's best to see one in person and decide for yourself whether or not this 'defect' bothers you.

The Go has a smaller screen at the same res so it should look a bit nicer. Get yourself a big memory card and a 3000, best of both worlds.

B.K.

Instead of choosing right now, you could always wait until the 4000 is announced and see how much of a redesign it will be.

SixStringPsycho said:
If Im not mistaken there was a thread comparing each PSP's Screen with the Go, and to me the 3000 and Go look pretty similar. Anyways, just bought a 3000 not too long ago and I dont regret it, I prefer having UMD's with a box and instruction manuals than looking for a wifi spot and buying games,
Thread wouldn't be all that useful unless it was all videos, you have to see things in motion to really see the effect.

outunderthestars said:
I thought that the psp 3000's screen was terrible. It really kept me from enjoying the games...

Really? Since getting my 3000 I am kind of in awe at how much nicer everything looks compared to my slim. Especially the colors, which appear much more vibrant overall. Oh well, different strokes I guess.

And to the OP, I am not sure about the Go's screen having never seen one in person. But the PSN is missing a few of my favorite games. MG Acid 1&2, Final Fantasy Tactics WOTL, Popolocrois, and even the beloved Crisis Core. So even if the Go's screen was nicer, I would be missing out on those games until Sony puts them up.

Niblet

chesspieceface said:
What's the state of the content on the PSN store?

Are all new PSP releases available on the PSN store, day one? And what about the back catalog?
As shitty as it is, no. For instance do not expect to see Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep to ever be available on PSN.

DonMigs85

GrumpyAlien said:
Really? Since getting my 3000 I am kind of in awe at how much nicer everything looks compared to my slim. Especially the colors, which appear much more vibrant overall. Oh well, different strokes I guess.

And to the OP, I am not sure about the Go's screen having never seen one in person. But the PSN is missing a few of my favorite games. MG Acid 1&2, Final Fantasy Tactics WOTL, Popolocrois, and even the beloved Crisis Core. So even if the Go's screen was nicer, I would be missing out on those games until Sony puts them up.
So you really don't notice the flickery effect on the screen? What if you bob your head up and down or move the unit around a bit?
Although the 1000 and 2000 screens may look a bit washed-out, at least the lines of resolution appear stable and perfectly fixed. And their's CFW, if you care about that.

Niblet said:
As shitty as it is, no. For instance do not expect to see Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep to ever be available on PSN.
...if you believe an uncomfirmed rumor started by a random tweet about an unnamed event, quoting licensing issues with Disney being the reason (even though Disney Interactive has released other games via digital distribution...)

DonMigs85 said:
So you really don't notice the flickery effect on the screen? What if you bob your head up and down or move the unit around a bit?
Although the 1000 and 2000 screens may look a bit washed-out, at least the lines of resolution appear stable and perfectly fixed. And their's CFW, if you care about that.

Still don't notice it much. Maybe on the main menu, but in-game I haven't really noticed. Certainly not going to ruin my games as it did to the poster I replied to. The positives have outweighed any negatives in my eyes. Not saying they aren't there, just saying they don't bother me. Oh well, for me it was a great purchase. I already have a CFW 2000 and love it too. Guess I should feel glad to have the best of both worlds.

Niblet

Dreamwriter said:
...if you believe an uncomfirmed rumor started by a random tweet about an unnamed event, quoting licensing issues with Disney being the reason (even though Disney Interactive has released other games via digital distribution...)
B E
L I E
V E

DonMigs85

Oh yeah, here's a pic I took myself comparing 1000 and Go screens:

4250122147_e9afd95c10_b.jpg

It doesn't look THAT washed out in real life, but it's pretty close.

x3sphere

DonMigs85 said:
Come to think of it I've never seen the PSP 3000's screen in person, but the Go does actually have a mild scanline/interlacing effect. Is the 3000 worse?
The Go is also kinda reflective, but a good screen protector should help with that. I recommed this PSP Go kit:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bf-77-1-49-en-15-psp+go+accessory-70-3lb7.html

There's no "scanline-effect" on my Go. Or if there is, I'm not seeing it. Maybe they switched LCD manufactures? o_O I bought mine at launch. Same goes for my 1000 and 2000. It is noticeable on the 3000 unit I have but only at a very close distance. I haven't investigated the issue in-depth, but from my understanding this is due to how the LCD pixels are arranged. The 1000 and 2000 screens have a washed out appearance so it is a trade off. The Go - as far as I can tell - has the best of both worlds. Vibrant colors and no scanlines.

To the OP: if screen quality is of utmost importance to you, I'd recommend picking up the go. All PSP revisions are nigh-impossible to see under direct sunlight conditions, though. So as far as the glare aspect is concerned there is no difference.

Takao

Banned
Niblet said:

no_shit.png

Credit goes to Seb for the capture.

And for the hosting because I'm a lazy ass.

i have a go and a 3000, i'll take some comparison shots tonight if no-one else has by the time i get home.

spoilers: if there's any difference between the go being slightly brighter and obviously sharper, i'm yet to notice. in any case, both are light years ahead of the 1000/2000 in response time, colour reproduction and overall quality, and while they're equally reflective the added brightness and colour space makes them both much more playable in sunlight than before.

screen interlacing is a total, total non-issue. if anyone wants to help me 'see' this terrible problem i'd be happy to take shots!

User Tron

outunderthestars said:
I thought that the psp 3000's screen was terrible. It really kept me from enjoying the games...

The interlacing on the 3000 is terrible. Thankfully I saw the screen before buying one. Went with the 2000 instead.

Withnail

Dreamwriter said:

Only games they've published themselves. The problem with KH is it's Disney IP in a game published by Square Enix, and the existing deal between the two companies didn't include digital distribution. Getting the legal teams of big beasts like SE and Disney to work up a new agreement is expensive, and I guess one or both of them thinks it would cost more than they could hope to make from PSN sales.

Still, I wouldn't completely rule out a PSN release of KH:BBS just yet, though it is very unlikely.

CryptiK

Takao said:
no_shit.png

Credit goes to Seb for the capture.

And for the hosting because I'm a lazy ass.
err what? Square/Disney stated they weren't releasing BBS on the PSN Store at all.

PSPGo screen is a tiny bit smaller other than that everything is the same as the 3000 Contrast, pixel density etc.

duckroll

CryptiK said:
err what? Square/Disney stated they weren't releasing BBS on the PSN Store at all.

PSPGo screen is a tiny bit smaller other than that everything is the same as the 3000 Contrast, pixel density etc.

They didn't actually state that. But before the game was released in Japan, a S-E rep at Jump Festa did confirm that the game would not be hitting PSN because the license holder (Disney) did not want it to. That's far from completely official word, but it's the only we have to go on.

Don't lose hope guys! Maybe you Go owners can still play the game come September!

User Tron said:
The interlacing on the 3000 is terrible. Thankfully I saw the screen before buying one. Went with the 2000 instead.

again, please show me how to see this problem

i have mine here, next to my go, camera in hand, and i'm happy to take beautifully clear photos - i just don't know what to take pictures of, because near as i can tell there is absolutely no problem whatsoever

The Go's screen is fantastic as is the overall hardware design. Much more portable and the analogue nub is about a 100x more useful.

V_Ben

Banned
brain_stew said:
The Go's screen is fantastic as is the overall hardware design. Much more portable and the analogue nub is about a 100x more useful.

agreed. It's a great system :D

i certainly prefer the go hardware to the 3000 overall, i just think anyone who'd take a 1000/2000 screen over the 3000's is high!

El-Suave

I upgraded from PSP 1000 to PSP 3000 recently and if I wouldn't have been aware of the scan line issue, I wouldn't have noticed it at all and even if I'm paying attention it doesn't really bug me.
What is a bit irritating about the device is that the on/off switch is located in a position that has made me accidentally turn the device off during gameplay. It happens rarely, but it does happen (to me).

Edit:
OP's choice should probably also be influenced by how big his UMD collection is, I have quite a few games - so the Go was never really an option.

V_Ben said:
agreed. It's a great system :D

Indeed, say what you will about the software and pricing situation, they're valid complaints (although here in the UK the Go worked out a much better deal for me with the 10 free game offer) but there's just no comparing the hardware design. The PSP GO hardware is simply superior in pretty much every way, if you value portability highly (and since this is a portable console I can only assume that you do) then the Go is the obvious choice, assuming you can put up with missing out on a few games.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Can't comment on the Go, but my 3000 screen has a lighter rim around the screen, which can be distracting. Mostly noticable during dark segments.

I just upgraded from a 1000 to a 3000 (MGS Green version) and the difference is huge to me, so much nicer. It's way lighter, the screen has way more color, I'm really happy with it. I have a ton of UMD games so the GO wasn't an option, but there is definitely an significant upgrade between 1000 and 3000 versions.

Majine

Banned
Jumped into the Go without ever having a PSP before, so the UMD aspect does nothing on me. The screen is gorgeous, I can sit watching the screensaver clock forever. :lol

Question for those who upgraded from 1000 to 3000 to Go:

How do you bring over your content to the new console? Can you just switch the memory card and every games I bought on PSN will be usable?

Goldrusher

chesspieceface said:
Question for those who upgraded from 1000 to 3000 to Go:
Can you just switch the memory card
Not possible.

old PSPs: memory stick duo
PSPgo: memory stick micro

Just copy your saves to your PC, then to the PSPgo.

chesspieceface said:
every games I bought on PSN will be usable?
Games are tied to accounts. And there's a maximum of 5 systems per account.
Better be sure and deactivate your old PSP first. (in Account Management somewhere)

V_Ben

Banned
Majine said:
Jumped into the Go without ever having a PSP before, so the UMD aspect does nothing on me. The screen is gorgeous, I can sit watching the screensaver clock forever. :lol

don't forget to press the L + R buttons on the clock screen. that gets mesmerizing :lol

x3sphere

I would be pretty shocked if KH:BBS doesn't see a PSN release. Legal mumbo jumbo aside, Sony will find a way to make it happen I'm sure.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
It's not on the Japanese store, for what that's worth. Isn't Dissidia the only SE PSP exclusive for download anywhere? (oh except some english training games in Japan)

Top Bottom