• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR or Oculus Quest 2?

supernova8

Banned
So I want back into VR but I don't want to spend a large amount.

I have:

PS4 (slim)

A PC with:
- ryzen 3900x
- RX 560 (2GB) GPU
- 32 GB RAM
- M.2 SSD

So the options are:

(A) buy a PSVR (used) for about $150-200 (depending on whether it comes with games)

or

(B) Buy an Oculus Quest 2 but then I probably need to upgrade my GPU too to something decent if I want PCVR.

The bean counter in me screams PSVR, but the long-term thinker says Oculus Quest 2.........

Any thoughts/help?

edit: if I upgrade my GPU what is the most barebones I can go while still running Half Life Alyx at a respectable framerate? Could I get away with a 1660 Super or something?

Last edited:

I have:

PS4 (slim)

A PC with:
- ryzen 3900x
- RX 560 (2GB) GPU
- 32 GB RAM
- M.2 SSD

So the options are:

(A) buy a PSVR (used) for about $150-200 (depending on whether it comes with games)

or

(B) Buy an Oculus Quest 2 but then I probably need to upgrade my GPU too to something decent if I want PCVR.

The bean counter in me screams PSVR, but the long-term thinker says Oculus Quest 2.........

Any thoughts/help?
Definitely need to upgrade GPU. Virtual desktop on sidkick/Oculus will let you play steam games wireless if you have a good wireless router. IMO, best of both worlds, but the buy in is much higher.

Resenge

Oculus Quest 2 hands down. Psvr is great starter kit but even if you had a ps5 the argument is tough to make without a new psvr headset. Its just a matter of 2016 tech vs 2020.
I love PSVR because has some of the best VR games, Astro Bot is pure joy from begining to end but its wired vs wireless. Quest has spoiled me and as time goes on I find it harder and harder to want to setup the PSVR, where as quest is as simple as pickup and turn on for that instant VR gratification.

PSVR still has things going for it, Firewall with the Aim controller is awesome and it has a ton of VR games but you don't even have a PS4 Pro which makes the best of VR. When it comes to big games PSVR has it covered compared to Quest 2 but that is changing, for future proofing Quest 2 has to be your choice imo.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
PSVR2 is at least two years away, while within the next year or so Oculus will probably release a Quest 3 with better specs, and by that time it is possible that you already had upgraded your PC to the point that you'll be able to experience high-end VR games on it, which you cannot do now unless you spend quite a bit of money on a better GPU.

So I say go with the PSVR for now, as some of the best VR games are available on the platform and some of them at really discounted prices by now: Resident Evil 7, Astro Bot, Star Wars: Squadrons, No Man's Sky, Skyrim VR, Blood & Truth, Beat Saber, Tetris Effect, Deráciné, Marvel's Iron Man VR, Farpoint, Firewall: Zero Hour, SUPERHOT VR, L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files, Rez Infinite...

Techies

PSVR2 is at least two years away, while within the next year or so Oculus will probably release a Quest 3 with better specs, and by that time it is possible that you already had upgraded your PC to the point that you'll be able to experience high-end VR games on it, which you cannot do now unless you spend quite a bit of money on a better GPU.

So I say go with the PSVR for now, as some of the best VR games are available on the platform and some of them at really discounted prices by now: Resident Evil 7, Astro Bot, Star Wars: Squadrons, No Man's Sky, Skyrim VR, Blood & Truth, Beat Saber, Tetris Effect, Deráciné, Marvel's Iron Man VR, Farpoint, Firewall: Zero Hour, SUPERHOT VR, L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files, Rez Infinite...

I just grabbed a 1080ti secondhand when the whole mining thing fell apart. The thing is once you've experienced the clarity of the Quest2 screen you will never be happy with a PSVR ever again.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I just grabbed a 1080ti secondhand when the whole mining thing fell apart. The thing is once you've experienced the clarity of the Quest2 screen you will never be happy with a PSVR ever again.
Another reason on why to go with PSVR first! That way, when he eventually moves to an Oculus Quest device, the transition will be perceived as a major improvement compared to his previous experience - something that clearly won't happen if he gets the Quest 2 now instead of PSVR.

Romulus

Another reason on why to go with PSVR first! That way, when he eventually moves to an Oculus Quest device, the transition will be perceived as a major improvement compared to his previous experience - something that clearly won't happen if he gets the Quest 2 now instead of PSVR.

I think at this point, the only reason to go with PSVR if he had a Pro. Maybe. The upgrade is pretty significant. He has a base PS4, which is just a horribly blurry experience that turns a lot of people off. Not the Pro is incredible by any means.

The tracking system, controllers are just god awful at this point too, it can turn people off from dealing with VR in general Quest 2 is built with the long game in mind. You could upgrade your PC a couple of times in the next 6-7years and still have a decent VR setup, PSVR was barely decent when it launched 4 years ago.

Last edited:

Arkam

ATM I would say PSVR or wait for PSVR2. Quest is now linked to your FB account. You deactivate you FB and you lose you QUest content. (or at least that is the warning presented when trying to deactivate your FB account). I have the OG quest and PSVR. LOVE the quest (despite limitations)..... but that tether to FB is a deal breaker for me. My FB's days are numbered.

Last edited:

Romulus

ATM I would say PSVR or wait for PSVR2. Quest is now linked to your FB account. You deactivate you FB and you lose you QUest content. (or at least that is the warning presented when trying to deactivate your FB account). I have the OG quest and PSVR. LOVE the quest (despite limitations)..... but that tether to FB is a deal breaker for me. My FB's days are numbered.

I would wager that the FB thing isn't a dealer breaker to the OP or he wouldn't have made a post.

I could be wrong

Resenge

Closing your account will result in the following
The closed account’s Online ID cannot be used to create another account.
You will lose access to any content purchased using the account. This content cannot be transferred to another account, and refunds can only be given in line with the PlayStation Store cancellation policy.
You will lose access to any subscriptions and their associated entitlements.
You will lose access to your PSN wallet. Funds in your wallet cannot be returned, as stated in the SEN Terms of Service.

I do not understand this argument, closing your PSN account will do exactly the same. Closing your account in most places means you lose your purchases does it not?

Last edited:

Arkam

I do not get this argument, closing your PSN account will do exactly the same. Closing your account in most places means you lose your purchases does it not?
Except I bought a Quest when it was not tied to a FB account. A bit different than purchasing, KNOWING that it is tied to a platform. And C'mon Man, who deactivates a PSN account? Totally different than FB who tracks and monetizes your every action.

I am just trying to help OP out. I REALLY wanted a quest 2.... but when I saw that warning when I went to deactivate my FB it killed that idea entirely.

From FB

Deactivating or Deleting Your Facebook Account
If you want to take a break from Facebook, you can deactivate your account. If you want to permanently delete your Facebook account, let us know.

Deactivate Account
Deactivating your account can be temporary.
Your profile will be disabled and your name and photos will be removed from most things you've shared. You will also not be able to access Oculus Products or your Oculus information. You'll be able to continue using Messenger.

Permanently Delete Account
Deleting your account is permanent.
When you delete your Facebook account, you won't be able to retrieve the content or information you've shared on Facebook. Your Messenger and all of your messages will also be deleted.
Deleting your Facebook account will also delete your Oculus information. This includes your app purchases and achievements. You will no longer be able to return any apps and will lose any existing store credits.

Last edited:

Resenge

Except I bought a Quest when it was not tied to a FB account. A bit different than purchasing, KNOWING that it is tied to a platform. And C'mon Man, who deactivates a PSN account? Totally different than FB who tracks and monetizes your every action.

I am just trying to help OP out. I REALLY wanted a quest 2.... but when I saw that warning when I went to deactivate my FB it killed that idea entirely.

From FB

Deactivating or Deleting Your Facebook Account
If you want to take a break from Facebook, you can deactivate your account. If you want to permanently delete your Facebook account, let us know.

Deactivate Account
Deactivating your account can be temporary.
Your profile will be disabled and your name and photos will be removed from most things you've shared. You will also not be able to access Oculus Products or your Oculus information. You'll be able to continue using Messenger.

Permanently Delete Account
Deleting your account is permanent.
When you delete your Facebook account, you won't be able to retrieve the content or information you've shared on Facebook. Your Messenger and all of your messages will also be deleted.
Deleting your Facebook account will also delete your Oculus information. This includes your app purchases and achievements. You will no longer be able to return any apps and will lose any existing store credits.
Facebook = Oculus. They are one and the same its not hard to understand that.

Do not missunderstand me though, I dislike facebook and was not happy being forced to make an account, I also had an Oculus account since the CV1 days, but its not as big a deal as you are making out. I am pointing out that if you close your account its obvious you will lose your purchases and its weak argument. There are better arguments against it like how Facebook have banned random accounts, and how you lose your purchase if that happens, I hear thats getting sorted though.

I and everyone else know what they are getting into when you buy a Quest 2, you need a facebook account. I have now made one and disabled all the crap, I have closed it down. Nobody can search for me, I have no friends linked to it, its basically an empty account with my information tied to it but Facebook already had that information as I gave it to Oculus anyway. I have not logged into or used the account since I made it and I wont use it. You are not forced to use the Facebook account, its just an account linked to my VR headset.

When I first heard I was forced to make an account I was super pissed, but ultimately Oculus had my info anyway so Facebook has my info. Making a locked down Facebook account is worth it for the Quest 2 imo.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

I have:

PS4 (slim)

A PC with:
- ryzen 3900x
- RX 560 (2GB) GPU
- 32 GB RAM
- M.2 SSD

So the options are:

or

Any thoughts/help?

edit: if I upgrade my GPU what is the most barebones I can go while still running Half Life Alyx at a respectable framerate? Could I get away with a 1660 Super or something?
Yeah lots of thoughts:

First, Quest 2 is hands down much better at delivering a real, full-featured VR experience. The tracking in particular is just night and day. Quest 2 can deliver full large-space roomscale, wirelessly, with really good hand-tracking. It's night and day compared to the front-facing, standing-in-place, kinda laggy PSVR. And the screens are massively better too.

Even as a stand-alone, Quest 2 is really better than PSVR. The graphics capabilities might be a little more limited but if you play games like Red Matter and Arizona Sunshine that are optimized for Q2 they get close. But Quest 2's stand-alone library while decent, is not as good as PSVR's. For that, yeah you need a PC. PC has a ton of great games, more than PSVR, for sure, but of course you need a PC that can run them.

Your GPU is not good enough, I won't lie to you. And a 1660, while technically enough to scrape by, is not ideal either. Quest 2's resolution is actually very high, higher than the Index, and 3.5 times higher than the original Rift. That means you need a GPU that is not just good enough to run VR games, but one with the overhead to run them at higher resolutions.

NVidia RTX cards also have hardware accelerated compression that will reduce latency and improve image quality over Link so I strongly recommend one of those. Maybe the new 3060Ti? Or a 2070.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PSVR barely qualifies as VR, just get a Quest 2. Plenty great games even if they don't have fancy graphics or come from Sony to get mainstream press/hype to get noticed by your average non VR gamer. I'd rather play a budget little Zelda-lite like Journey of the Gods over crap like Blood & Truth any day of the week but there are plenty fancier looking games too and even the games they share like Pistol Whip, Apex Construct and SUPERHOT VR are just so much better as experiences with actually capable independent hand tracking. Not to mention all the homebrew stuff that convert more full fledged titles like Half-Life and Return to Castle Wolfenstein to VR perfectly to the point they feel like (or almost like, it varies) native made for VR games thanks to some very dedicated developers. It's not a contest, Sony really hampered PSVR with retrofitting Move for it.

People obsessing over accounts and information I guess also don't use credit/debit cards or banks in general or buy shit digital/online and just put all their money in their mattresses while using smoke signals to communicate with other like minded people who do the same. On the other hand it's good Facebook accounts get some actually legit criticism (ie when they ban someone who didn't break the tos and there currently is no way to dispute that) so that it gets better and more consumer friendly, with features like being able to access your account and your purchases even if you're banned, with restricted use instead of disappearing. I don't think such features existed at all with Oculus accounts either though, so it makes sense they didn't consider them when transfering. I'm sure they'll eventually get on par, they have to now that they sell shit too.

Last edited:
So much bullshit with Facebook if you create an account without using your real identity:

Comparisons to PSN is asinine. Sony doesn't care who is behind the account once you create one. If you buy an Oculus, remember that you don't own it, Facebook does and get to dictate the terms,

Resenge

So much bullshit with Facebook if you create an account without using your real identity:

Comparisons to PSN is asinine. Sony doesn't care who is behind the account once you create one. If you buy an Oculus, remember that you don't own it, Facebook does and get to dictate the terms,
When people make an Oculus account do you think most of them used fake names? I don't think so, I know I didn't back in the CV1 days. I had an expensive headset and I wanted my name attached to the purchases.

Again Facebook = Oculus so they already had my name, address, phone number, Credit Card info. Just make a throw away Facebook account and do not use it. Facebook give you plenty of options to lock it down, make it unsearchable. For me the facebook account is just linked to my headset with no activity on the Facebook website at all.

I am not facebook apologist, but I can tell you that its not as bad as you think it is plus the Quest 2 is a superb peice of tech and worth it.

Last edited:

Kagero

I gots both! Oculus hands down. Also, you don’t need a PC for Oculus, and it’s wireless, and the screen is better. Everything is better. If PSVR isn’t a wireless stand alone product, it will not be able to compete with Oculus 3. The oculus is essentially a blueprint for everyone else to follow.

When people make an Oculus account do you think most of them used fake names? I don't think so, I know I didn't back in the CV1 days. I had an expensive headset and I wanted my name attached to the purchases.

Again Facebook = Oculus so they already had my name, address, phone number, Credit Card info. Just make a throw away Facebook account and do not use it. Facebook give you plenty of options to lock it down, make it unsearchable. For me the facebook account is just linked to my headset with no activity on the Facebook website at all.

Nonsense like this is such a turn off:

I'm not creating a bank account. It's all simple with PSN/Live/Nintendo. Create an account, don't hack your console, don't harass anyone, you're good.

I am not facebook apologist, but I can tell you that its not as bad as you think it is plus the Quest 2 is a superb peice of tech and worth it.

Not gonna lie, depending how Quest 3 turns out I may eventually succumb to this but I still don't like it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If PSVR isn’t a wireless stand alone product, it will not be able to compete with Oculus 3. The oculus is essentially a blueprint for everyone else to follow.
That's silly, there's plenty room for both stand alone stuff and home console/PC based VR too, just as there are phones, consoles, portables and PCs for regular gaming all in the same market and doing just fine with their audience. The highest selling VR games like Alyx and Beat Saber on Steam have 2x user reviews than anything on Quest (Beat Saber included) so the market's not decided one is so much more profitable than the other just yet, we just have more competition on other platforms so VR games don't just compete with other VR games but also with flat games we can play if nothing looks good enough in VR when on Quest VR is all you have if that's your system of choice and the store is still new with few titles in comparison, that will change over time and titles will be buried there too. Even games that have more user reviews on Quest like Pistol Whip still have a good chunk on PC so it's not an irrelevant market for those either. Wireless could be a feature for sure, it's very welcome if they can get it lagless, though a cable isn't as big a deal as some make it, but stand alone is not a must depending on their goals, if it's to bolster the PS5 or a different platform like Vita/PSP. Sony fans who care for VR look forward to playing the next mainline Gran Turismo and similar in VR rather than some portable spin off as sims in general are not something Quest has fostered what with not having mainstream peripherals like racing wheels yet. Even Facebook hasn't fully abandoned the potential of non stand alone VR what with coming up with the Link and still funding VR games like the upcoming Medal of Honor that may not even be able to be ported to the Quest 2 at all as they started with PC as a base (they will look into it after it's out).

Last edited:

faraany3k

Banned
Quest 2. The content available through Steam for VR is insane compared to PSVR. PSVR has handful of great exclusives, but PC scene is on another level.

Humble Bundle is offering 9 games including Walking Dead SnS for 17 dollars.
Asgard Wrath is free for Quest 2 owners with link connection.
Half Life Alyx possibly greatest VR game.

Quest 2 is brilliant.

Resenge

Nonsense like this is such a turn off:

I'm not creating a bank account. It's all simple with PSN/Live/Nintendo. Create an account, don't hack your console, don't harass anyone, you're good.

Not gonna lie, depending how Quest 3 turns out I may eventually succumb to this but I still don't like it.
I agree that it's shit and I agree that Facebook is sketchy, but can I offer a rebuttel.
Oculus%202%20Headset.png

This 299 peice of tech is worth making an unused Facebook account for.

Last edited:

Kagero

That's silly, there's plenty room for both stand alone stuff and home console/PC based VR too, just as there are phones, consoles, portables and PCs for regular gaming all in the same market and doing just fine with their audience. The highest selling VR games like Alyx and Beat Saber on Steam have 2x user reviews than anything on Quest (Beat Saber included) so the market's not decided one is so much more profitable than the other just yet, we just have more competition on other platforms so VR games don't just compete with other VR games but also with flat games we can play if nothing looks good enough in VR when on Quest VR is all you have if that's your system of choice and the store is still new with few titles in comparison, that will change over time and titles will be buried there too. Even games that have more user reviews on Quest like Pistol Whip still have a good chunk on PC so it's not an irrelevant market for those either. Wireless could be a feature for sure, it's very welcome if they can get it lagless, though a cable isn't as big a deal as some make it, but stand alone is not a must depending on their goals, if it's to bolster the PS5 or a different platform like Vita/PSP. Sony fans who care for VR look forward to playing the next mainline Gran Turismo and similar in VR rather than some portable spin off as sims in general are not something Quest has fostered what with not having mainstream peripherals like racing wheels yet.
I’m speaking from the point of view that VR needs to be mobile and untethered.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Quest 2 but I have a feeling PSVR2 will blow it out of the water as long as it’s wireless. I have a Quest 1 and never went back to PSVR it’s just a hassle being wired.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I had PSVR. I now have Oculus Quest 2.

A couple of thoughts.

I really liked PSVR. It is a great introduction to VR and the experiences available to it are top notch.
The headset it really comfortable and visuals are nice.

The tracking on the Oculus Quest is outstanding. The hand controllers are a massive leap forward compared to the move controllers. It really does make a massive difference.

The visuals on OC2 are extremely good. There is virtually no screen door. It really helps with immersion.

If you have a VR capable PC and a 5Ghz router then Virtual Desktop is stunning. I've just come off playing a couple of hours in Half Life Alyx with no apparent lag and stunning visuals and it's all completely wireless. It's a game changer for me. Just for that alone it's totally worth it.

The native games on OC2 look a lot better then I though they would. I'm playing the new Star Wars game and it looks as good as a lot of PCVR games. I was shocked how good it looked.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Quest 2. The content available through Steam for VR is insane compared to PSVR. PSVR has handful of great exclusives, but PC scene is on another level.

Quest 2 is brilliant.
Do you have a link for the humble bundle?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022

Quest 2 is brilliant.
PC only. Got it

reinking

Gold Member
IMO. Currently,

If you are not afraid of Facebook go with Oculus. My favorite VR game is Astro Bot but it is clear the current PSVR is on the way out. With the way it works on PS5 the breakout box is not HDMI 2.1 compatible so anyone with an HDMI 2.1 TV has to choose VR and 2.0 or 2.1 compatibility. If you plan to just stick with your PS4 that doesn't matter but it does point to PSVR being outdated and not to expect much more support for it.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
If you want to spend less than $299, I will sell you a quest 1 or brand new Psvr (opened but never used) with the PS5 usb cable. I don’t have any disc based Vr games however.
...now taking off my “personal profit” hat Quest 2 all day long.

This is the 2nd PSvr unit I have purchased after returning the first. I could never get it set up well in my media room and when I used it in my office the screen was not great.

Quest 2 is better in all theses areas IMO.

SF Kosmo

I agree that it's shit and I agree that Facebook is sketchy, but can I offer a rebuttel.
Oculus%202%20Headset.png

This 299 peice of tech is worth making an unused Facebook account for.
It really is. Facebook had the balls to pull this now because they knew they had a really good product at a price that seriously undercuts the competition.

Romulus

I've already said Quest 2, but Sony's first party stuff for PSVR2 could be very interesting. There were complaints from them about PS4 that I read about. Should not be a problem with PS5 and should open up a lot of doors.

SF Kosmo

I've already said Quest 2, but Sony's first party stuff for PSVR2 could be very interesting. There were complaints from them about PS4 that I read about. Should not be a problem with PS5 and should open up a lot of doors.
Sony has said PSVR2 is years away, if it happens. They're probably still in the R&D stage and haven't decided yet.

Romulus

Sony has said PSVR2 is years away, if it happens. They're probably still in the R&D stage and haven't decided yet.

Did you read the latest interview from Sony, not the older Jim Ryan one which sounded like he was out of the loop. And even then he said he believed in VR.

Griffon

Get the Quest 2 it's not even a contest.

The PSVR is a horrible headseat with utter trash motion tracking and low AF resolution. It's a miserable experience compared to modern headsets like quest 2.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

Interesting yeah once the RX 6800 and 30 series Turing cards are back in stock properly, I can probably pick up a real bargain.

supernova8

Banned
I would wager that the FB thing isn't a dealer breaker to the OP or he wouldn't have made a post.

I could be wrong

Yeah I understand the pushback against needing to link a Facebook account but it personally doesn't bother me. I hardly use my Facebook account anyway so it's not like I have loads and loads of sensitive information on there.

supernova8

Banned
Your GPU is not good enough, I won't lie to you. And a 1660, while technically enough to scrape by, is not ideal either. Quest 2's resolution is actually very high, higher than the Index, and 3.5 times higher than the original Rift. That means you need a GPU that is not just good enough to run VR games, but one with the overhead to run them at higher resolutions.

NVidia RTX cards also have hardware accelerated compression that will reduce latency and improve image quality over Link so I strongly recommend one of those. Maybe the new 3060Ti? Or a 2070.

:D Yeah I bought this RX 560 about a year ago to just have something to power my display and be able to do a bit of light gaming. I blew all of my available budget on the 3900X (not that I regret it, awesome CPU) so yeah I think it'll depend on what I can pick up for about max $300 in the next few months.

Whatever you choose, please make sure you at least play Astrobot for the PSVR. It really is a masterpiece. Everything from the level design to innovation, to the music, to the blatant Nintendo rip-offs is top notch 😁

finowns

My nephew wants this for Christmas and I was asked which one to get. Would the PSVR be better for a 10 year old?

PRiSMiWi

I have:

PS4 (slim)

A PC with:
- ryzen 3900x
- RX 560 (2GB) GPU
- 32 GB RAM
- M.2 SSD

So the options are:

or

Any thoughts/help?

I got both (with PSPRO), and I can only say that Quests 2 are MIND BLOWING.

Top Bottom