• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR or Oculus Quest 2?

unquestionably Quest 2

even Sony is killing PS3-tech psvr on PS5 and it's only backwards-compatible

Q2 is the latest and greatest in VR tech for cheap and will play awesome VR games all by itself. If later you feel like also trying pcvr games, you don't need big money on the best gpu out there, a RX 580 should do just fine

What do you play the oculus on is it for the pc? Sorry I’m a noob

Oculus Quest 2 is standalone, wireless, mobile VR headset. You don't need anything else to play many of the most popular VR games around. But its mobile chip while great won't play the most demanding pcvr games by itself - you need to hook it to a capable pc to play games like Elite Dangerous or Half-Life Alyx in VR, either wirelessly or with a USB cable.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Does any PC help with PCVR games or does it have to be a specific high end device? I have a Dell 7590 with a 1060. The Steam VR test says it is a moderate machine, but it only lists the intel integrated GPU. So is there any advantage for this laptop or would I have to get a eGPU for any PCVR gaming?

magaman

Banned
Does any PC help with PCVR games or does it have to be a specific high end device? I have a Dell 7590 with a 1060. The Steam VR test says it is a moderate machine, but it only lists the intel integrated GPU. So is there any advantage for this laptop or would I have to get a eGPU for any PCVR gaming?

I have a 1060 3gb. I play PCVR just fine.

finowns

Oculus Quest 2 is standalone, wireless, mobile VR headset. You don't need anything else to play many of the most popular VR games around. But its mobile chip while great won't play the most demanding pcvr games by itself - you need to hook it to a capable pc to play games like Elite Dangerous or Half-Life Alyx in VR, either wirelessly or with a USB cable.

I appreciate this! Thanks

sleepnaught

Quest 2. I own a Valve Index, but I use my Quest 2 almost exclusively now, mostly because it's wireless. Thinking of setting up my lighthouses in my living room so I can use the Quest 2 with my Index controllers. Either way, far superior to the PSVR. That headset is hilariously outdated and so cumbersome by comparison.

abcdrstuv

Banned
I’m not super into the idea of VR gaming (Tetris Effect sounds like a trip, though), but how good are the graphics if you run the Quest 2 off its internal processor? Intrigued by it and a 3/Pro, esp. for the potential non-gaming used and it’s affordable. No place to try one near me.

sendit

Have both. Oculus Quest 2 > PSVR.

PSVR is actually the most limiting of all the VR headsets due to the dildo wands with limited buttons.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Yeah, I figured Quest 2 but I mean like, *how* good is it? If I’m playing a VR version of a console game, or watching Netflix, or doing some Metaverse hangout zoom meeting crap?

Kuranghi

Quest 2. I own a Valve Index, but I use my Quest 2 almost exclusively now, mostly because it's wireless. Thinking of setting up my lighthouses in my living room so I can use the Quest 2 with my Index controllers. Either way, far superior to the PSVR. That headset is hilariously outdated and so cumbersome by comparison.

Do you know if there is a image quality difference between the cable and wireless when using it with a PC with a discrete GPU? Why would you pick the cable if there isn't, interference?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Have both. Oculus Quest 2 > PSVR.

PSVR is actually the most limiting of all the VR headsets due to the dildo wands with limited buttons.
Limited tracking is a big issue for PSVR too. It can't really effectively track 360 so you have to stand facing forward.

PSVR is very much min-spec VR, like it was cool at the time because it was nominally a "real" VR experience (as opposed to 3DOF mobile crap) at a relatively affordable price given that the only alternatives ran on expensive PCs.

But Quest 2 is light years ahead of that experience, with full roomscale tracking and good controllers, not to mention wireless.

It might have less graphical horsepower, but even there it gets a lot closer than you'd think. Games like Vader Immortal and Red Matter get in the ballpark of the kind of visuals we see on PSVR titles.

sendit

My nephew wants this for Christmas and I was asked which one to get. Would the PSVR be better for a 10 year old?

Your nephew should report you for child abuse if you get him a PSVR in this day and age.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

PSVR all day even with its low specs or wait for PSVR 2. Still highly immersive and perfectly fine for a first entry. Library is just AWESOME.

Avoid Quest 2 at all cost, there is a reason if ALL Oculus founders left Facebook.

Quest 2 is a pure Facebook crap and a downgrade from Quest 1 (OLED ? Nope), also, it's so uncomfortable compares to PSVR even with additional strap (which you have to buy) which is a joke also.

Alternative: buy a second hand RIFT S which Facebook shamefully discontinued (identical PSVR strap for confort), it works great but you need obviously an OK PC (using an GTX 1070).

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
PSVR all day even with its low specs or wait for PSVR 2. Still highly immersive and perfectly fine for a first entry. Library is just AWESOME.
PSVR probably has a better library than Quest 2 standalone right this second but certainly nowhere close once you factor in PC, and it's also essentially a dead platform, while Quest is getting new shit.

Avoid Quest 2 at all cost, there is a reason if ALL Oculus founders left Facebook.
Palmer Luckey was fired because he got caught trying to raise dark money for election-related disinfo campaigns on social media and then lied about it.

Carmack is still there. Abrash is still there. Rubin is still there. The people who matter are there. I guess Nate left when they re-organized.

Quest 2 is a pure Facebook crap and a downgrade from Quest 1 (OLED ? Nope), also, it's so uncomfortable compares to PSVR even with additional strap (which you have to buy) which is a joke also.

Quest 2 is way the fuck better than Quest 1, are you high? It's not like Oculus ever pushed true blacks on their OLEDs anyways, the contrast was always crunched because of all the mura correction they do, you're just talking bullshit about specs, and I'm guessing you've never actually used the thing.

There are some PSVR-style halo straps for Quest 2 if that's your whole bag. I do agree that the soft strap it comes with kind of blows, especially if you move around a lot, although I don't personally mind the "official" one.

Top Bottom