• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Price: $399/399/£349/¥44,980, no camera/move, launching October

Mathieran

Banned
I picked up the camera. Move controllers are also a good price but I don't know if I should wait in case they release an updated model? Anyone have any idea about that?

Carl

Amazon UK - Please be advised that PlayStation VR will go on sale at 11:00 GMT on Wednesday, 16 March, 2016. Due to limited stock we are only able to offer one unit per customer per address

hesido

plRXroy.gif

I still think the price is too high. The sweet spot for most consumers is $199 imo but I guess the market analyst know better. I know they have to get the early adopters on board as well but I worry about content shortage also.

Wrong gif, m8.

ZMSRKnB.gif

I got a bunch of these laying around. Will be adding more just because I can.

I'd have liked it to be 349 but I do understand the pricing and it's the cheapest solution with not necessarily the worst experience. Hoping it doesn't end up unused like Sony accessories or the Kinect.

Frodo

I can understand the argument of people already having the camera, and you are right to not want to pay for it again. But the first bundle you announce is not the one without all the necessary hardware to make the experience work. Today is the day that's getting all the media coverage. Today is the day that's getting all the hype and when all the news articles will be written. You should come out upfront with the full bundle as your main SKU, then later announce options for people who already have Move controllers and a camera. Doing it this way just means that the general consumer will be confused when they hear all about "Playstation VR" and then buy it and get pissed off that it doesn't work. It seems like they willingly are opening themselves up to market confusion just so they could get on stage and say $399.

Agreed. It is a weird, and slightly dishonest move to announce it this way.

taco543

So when it says it uses move controllers does that mean I need two of the controllers with the little bubble on it? Or does that mean I need a navigation stick and a move stick? Sorry if it's a noobish question never owned PS move.

Man

Solid price.
Not earth-shattering price.
Lower than what the media expected it seems.

900 000 PS4 cameras sold in the first six months following console-launch so I'm guessing the number is several millions now.

Launch should be pretty damn packed being October.

The same "concerns" arose when vive and oculus announced their prices, its all fluff everybody following these headsets knew what it was hitting for since their announcements. $399 is a great price.

bryanee

Cheaper UK price than I expected but a later release date as well but I can deal with that as the later release is to get games done.

jonno394

Hmmm this or the likely NX in November....Good price, intrigued by the tech, but unsure if I actually need it at launch or if I can wait a year or so.

About the price I expected, given the estimates around here. I already have a PS4, PS4 camera, and two Move controllers, so I'll probably go this route, since I would need to upgrade my PC's graphics card to run Rift/Vive, and maybe the processor, since it just scrapes by the minimum requirements (i5-4690, 4 cores at 3.5GHz).

Any word if this will let you play videos outside of the Playstation "bubble" (videos downloaded on a computer transferred over)? I need to know for research... >_>

Escalario

Banned
Sony are investing money in software, but the fundamental difference this time is indie devs. As long as VR is doing well, the software produced for OR and Vive will be ported to PSVR, which will ensure continued support even if Sony doesn't back it with a ton of AAA first party games.

Noone's gonna buy a VR headset for indie apps/games. Just look at Vita.

As expected, especially without the inclusion of the camera.

I'll be holding out for a little while to see what comes down the software pipe. At this time of my life, it's a bit much to go all in for.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Dangerball... ugh... I hated that breakout game demo on the Oculus where you controlled the paddle with your head.

Actually, I've hated all games where you control anything with your head.

Other stuff looks great though.

I can understand the argument of people already having the camera, and you are right to not want to pay for it again. But the first bundle you announce is not the one without all the necessary hardware to make the experience work. Today is the day that's getting all the media coverage. Today is the day that's getting all the hype and when all the news articles will be written. You should come out upfront with the full bundle as your main SKU, then later announce options for people who already have Move controllers and a camera. Doing it this way just means that the general consumer will be confused when they hear all about "Playstation VR" and then buy it and get pissed off that it doesn't work. It seems like they willingly are opening themselves up to market confusion just so they could get on stage and say $399.

100% agree

All the focus on the camera thing is silly when you consider that the Move controllers not being mandatory will mean devs won't support them.

Price is what I expected, although I expected them to include the camera with it since it is required. Maybe they should have just made it $449 and include the camera? This is about as silly as the N3DS not coming with a power adapter.

Sure, some people will already have the camera, but I doubt very many people do.

I understand they really wanted to drive price home with the announcement, but still.

I'd guess we will see another bundle with PSVR + Camera + Move for $499.

Hrm. given recent pricing history on the AU side for Playstation hardware, I'm gonna say $449AU at EBGames, with a $529 pack that includes the Camera, a set of Move controllers and one of the launch titles.

I can handle that, especially with the inevitable PC hack.

Freeman

Banned
Well price isn't great, but its the best so far. I'm ok with it.

No move redesign makes sense and is the safest bet, even if its not as exciting.

Monster year for the PS4.

alexbull_uk

£350 is about what I expected. Shame it doesn't include the camera, though.

I'll get one at some point but I don't think I need it day one.

Top Bottom