• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR will pass through 4K but not HDR to your 4KTV

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
wait, so you're going to run your VR games on the original console? but you'll be missing out on the Pro VR improvements

That's the plan for now, if it's something nuts I'll switch it but from what I understand only 1 game (farpoint) supports it. Don't think I was going to get that anyways.

Gitaroo

What is that guy name that designed all the PSVR, PS move etc? If he is on twitter maybe woujld can tweet him and ask if an software update is possible to fix this.

So the only way to avoid switching cable is to go from PS4 to a switch that goes either to psvr and tv ? And this one is hdr enabled for 4k60?
I can't speak for that last question. I don't have any sources that are 4k60 + HDR. What's a piece of content to test this scenario? Shadow Warrior 2?

f@luS

More than a member.
I've come up with a solution. Getting a PS4 pro next month, just gonna hook up my current PS4 as vr only. Using 2 inputs as is (swapping hdmi). I'll just keep my old PS4 instead of trading it in for the few $$ I'll get.

But really it's insane they fucked this up so much...
PSVR might get a lot improved with pro so ts not really the best solution

I'm still trying to figure how to do myself .... no more hdmi available on tv (cable box , ps4 and Xbox connected ). Now my PS4 is on my PSVR .... how to do to not have cables to switch ... and to be compatible up to 4k60 hdr

Beside take off my PS4 to PSVR cable every time I want to use my PS4 with hdr games straight to the tv

It's even more a fuck up from Sony than uhd. Two system releasing one month appart not fully compatible.

DjRalford

that won't work though. An hdmi splitter will default to the lowest resolution available, so both signals will default to hdmi 1.4

Surely you can get round that though by just unplgging the HDMI going to the PSVR from the splitter leaving just the one feed, still means unplugging a cable but less of a pain in the ass that swapping cables form unit to unit.

MazeHaze

Banned
Surely you can get round that though by just unplgging the HDMI going to the PSVR from the splitter leaving just the one feed, still means unplugging a cable but less of a pain in the ass that swapping cables form unit to unit.

A switch would be way cheaper and more convenient than that though.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
PSVR might get a lot improved with pro so ts not really the best solution

I'm still trying to figure how to do myself .... no more hdmi available on tv (cable box , ps4 and Xbox connected ). Now my PS4 is on my PSVR .... how to do to not have cables to switch ... and to be compatible up to 4k60 hdr

Beside take off my PS4 to PSVR cable every time I want to use my PS4 with hdr games straight to the tv

It's even more a fuck up from Sony than uhd. Two system releasing one month appart not fully compatible.

I hear you, can't be good swapping the HDMI all the time. I cringe a bit every time...

I would love a switch but that wont solve the problem of having to turn the PS4 back into HDR mode all the time. Also can't find anything that actually supports HDR...

Crazy they released this without 4k HDR pass thru.

Madness

No 4K Blu-ray on the Pro and now this? What the shit, Sony? That's incredibly inconvenient.

Especially when they hype the shit out of HDR and 4k with their televisions. Got an X800D and am obsessed with HDR demos and 4K demos and whatever Netflix offers. Can easily see the difference between HDR and SDR.

AGRacing

I finally decided to get a pricier alternative, but this is a splitter and not a switch, so I won't have to deal with changing any settings. Works with 4K@60fps and HDR.

https://www.deluxecable.de/audio-vi...gawo-3090060-hdr-hdmi-splitter-1x2/a-3090060/

How do you know this won't add any lag to the VR box?

It's been talked about by Sony in the past that it is very important to keep I believe under 20ms of lag between the time you begin moving your head and the time the display updates with that movement. If that delay is longer you feel sick. This is my concern about using a splitter. PSVR has a 18ms delay. I looked into a splitter to resolve this weeks ago and was told to expect up to 4ms of lag on the model I looked at - but most don't even talk about lag because usually 4ms wouldn't be a big deal.

Also , when using a splitter, will the PS4 even allow you to set the PS4 HDR setting turned on? My experience with splitters in the past has been you need to set the signal up for whatever the worst display is capable of displaying (in this case non-hdr psvr).

Sounds to me like a switch would be better because of these problems... But even then I'm not sure about the lag issue.

f@luS

More than a member.
I hear you, can't be good swapping the HDMI all the time. I cringe a bit every time...

I would love a switch but that wont solve the problem of having to turn the PS4 back into HDR mode all the time. Also can't find anything that actually supports HDR...

Crazy they released this without 4k HDR pass thru.
Better to turn on a simple option than switching cable ...

I guess ...

Anyway beside switching cable I have no solution right now

As I made hole for my cables to go to my PS4 Behind my tv stand , switching on PS4 isn't an option.
So I would need to take off the cable from PS4 to PSVR , take of the PSVR hdmi to tv and put the PS4 one to the tv

Fuuuuuuu Sony. This is how you do for people buying expensive tv, a second PS4 and your PSVR ?

Hoping to find a simplier solution ...

DjRalford

Better to turn on a simple option than switching cable ...

I guess ...

Anyway beside switching cable I have no solution right now

As I made hole for my cables to go to my PS4 Behind my tv stand , switching on PS4 isn't an option.
So I would need to take off the cable from PS4 to PSVR , take of the PSVR hdmi to tv and put the PS4 one to the tv

Fuuuuuuu Sony. This is how you do for people buying expensive tv, a second PS4 and your PSVR ?

Hoping to find a simplier solution ...

You could just get a coupler and unplug the 2 cables from PSVR box and connect them together, provided they are both high speed cables it should then just display straight to the TV.

f@luS

More than a member.
You could just get a coupler and unplug the 2 cables from PSVR box and connect them together, provided they are both high speed cables it should then just display straight to the TV.
Not a bad idea. Didn't know this. Any link ? Any drawback ? This would be the easiest. For i understand correctly it's just a kinda PSVR box to connect 2hdmi together ? Sorry for my lack of knowledge

f@luS

More than a member.
I guess as I don't have any more hdmi slot on my tv the best of what you recommended (coupler) that I will just switch with the PSVR box .... not the ideal but the best as my PSVR box is easy to access

Hdmi cable given with the PSVR unit is high speed ? If yes for sure there one that will be given with PS4 pro will be si I won't need to buy one

Since it's a splitter, it's going to be bound by the lowest-common-denominator HDMI spec.

I walked away from this thread right before work mulling the 4k60 + HDR compatibility of the Sewell switch. Again, I can't test that specifically, but I did run my Samsung KS8500 UHD-Blu player to the switch. Via Vizio's HDTV app, I confirmed I received 4k + HDR10 + 4:4:4 through the switch. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but those three formats together fall under HDMI 2.0a's specifications.

I've some bad news concerning the Sewell switch. I got around to diving into a PS VR game, finally, and the feed was ripe with sparklies (mostly red, but some white, as well).

Funny thing is, these anomalies only showed up on the PS VR headset during PS VR games. The feed to my HDTV was unaffected. And if I was viewing/playing standard video content (regular PS4 games or the dashboard), then there were no anomalies.

I removed the switch from the equation and direcltly connected the PS4 to the breakout box. Naturally, this resolved the issue.

I swapped out the HDMI cable from output 2 to the breakout box using two separate Amazon Basics cables, of the most recent style and the previous. I know these cables work within 2.0a specs (I confirmed this for a different project relating to the Pioneer SC-XX series receiver). Still encountered the sparklies.

I rebooted both devices and never powered on the HDTV. I was trying to rule out some type of handshake issue (was worth a shot). The sparklies were still there.

I directly connected my PS VR to the breakout box, rather than using the extender cable. Not only was I uncomfortably close to my television, the sparklies were still scattering about.

I also tried mucking with the video output settings. I turned off HDR and flipped between RGB Limited and Automatic. Still no resolution.

Sewell does have a customer support line. I think it's worth the ~15-30 minutes to talk to someone who knows the product a whole lot better than I do. I'll call them later today and provide an update.

It just blows my mind how this is only occurring inside the VR headset while only playing VR games. I would think that the sparklies would be apparent for both the PS VR headset and the simultaneous feed on the HDTV. So, one having it and not the other just seems bewildering. I am sure there's logic behind it, but I just can't see where.

More importantly, with the switch being dumb, what can possibly be happening to the signal? The grand total of cable between the PS4, the switch, and my breakout box totals 6 feet. That's well within normal operating length (by a long shot). Unless I just so happened to get a faulty switch.

Odd...

f@luS

More than a member.
Bummer. Gonna stick with that simple coupler then. Seems the way as inbred anyway to plug my PSVR headset to use it it's just the most convenient and easy

Bummer. Gonna stick with that simple coupler then. Seems the way as inbred anyway to plug my PSVR headset to use it it's just the most convenient and easy
I just got off the telphone with Sewell. The support rep I spoke to was very knowledgeable. He reaffirmed that it is a dumb switch. And, more importantly, it is a pin-to-pin switch. For all intents and purposes, this should do exactly what some of us have been needing.

I'm calling PlayStation tech support next. I don't foresee them as being as knowledgeable and insightful as Sewell was, but stranger things have happened. :p

f@luS

More than a member.
Good to know. But I don't have any more spare hdmi on my tv do I would need two switch like this ?

Hdmi 1 TV => switch > psvr + switch => PS4 + PSVR ?

Hope it's understandable.

I'll receive my simple coupler maybe it's the best solution ... no degradation at all ?

I just got off the telphone with Sewell. The support rep I spoke to was very knowledgeable. He reaffirmed that it is a dumb switch. And, more importantly, it is a pin-to-pin switch. For all intents and purposes, this should do exactly what some of us have been needing.

I'm calling PlayStation tech support next. I don't foresee them as being as knowledgeable and insightful as Sewell was, but stranger things have happened. :p

I can almost guarantee you they will tell you to not use it, since it's not a supported device in the chain.

Moreover, I'm willing to bet that since this is a dumb switch and pin-to-pin, it's literally pin-to-pin without any form of shielding whatsoever to prevent the signal from being mucked with, or the materials they use aren't terribly good. it's digital and all, but it's also subject to the materials being used causing problems with the signal. Since the PSVR is doing work on the signal to split resolution lines apart, that the signal issues become more easily apparent when you're putting hem back together again in the headset.

Horohoro

That's the plan for now, if it's something nuts I'll switch it but from what I understand only 1 game (farpoint) supports it. Don't think I was going to get that anyways.

All games released on ps4 have to support it released on or after the PRO release date... I still don't get why ppl think its only some games. Also Robinson has been confirmed to have PRO enhancements.

I can almost guarantee you they will tell you to not use it, since it's not a supported device in the chain.
Assuredly. And they are exceptionally unhelpful/not very knowledgeable in this instance (I am on the telephone with them now). I'm actually on the verge of pulling my hair out talking to this rep.

Moreover, I'm willing to bet that since this is a dumb switch and pin-to-pin, it's literally pin-to-pin without any form of shielding whatsoever to prevent the signal from being mucked with, or the materials they use aren't terribly good. it's digital and all, but it's also subject to the materials being used causing problems with the signal. Since the PSVR is doing work on the signal to split resolution lines apart, that the signal issues become more easily apparent when you're putting hem back together again in the headset.
Literally pin-to-pin is the perfect signal pathway to take, in this case. I can't refute your claim on build quality, because, of course, I didn't make the switch. However, nothing about holding it in my hands screams "cheap" or "corners cut."

The PS VR processing the video signal is completely independent of the PS4. The PS4 hands the signal to the processing unit (PU), and then the PU does what it needs to. The handshake would be the only bidirectional signal occurring between the PS4 and the PU.

I think this is very interesting and enjoyable to discuss and try to work out. Though no matter how we approach the problem, the end result is always the same:

Sony done fucked up

Assuredly. And they are exceptionally unhelpful/not very knowledgeable in this instance (I am on the telephone with them now). I'm actually on the verge of pulling my hair out talking to this rep.

Literally pin-to-pin is the perfect signal pathway to take, in this case. I can't refute your claim on build quality, because, of course, I didn't make the switch. However, nothing about holding it in my hands screams "cheap" or "corners cut."

The PS VR processing the video signal is completely independent of the PS4. The PS4 hands the signal to the processing unit (PU), and then the PU does what it needs to. The handshake would be the only bidirectional signal occurring between the PS4 and the PU.

I think this is very interesting and enjoyable to discuss and try to work out. Though no matter how we approach the problem, the end result is always the same:

Sony done fucked up

Wow, I just caught up on this thread. Thank you for not only being the guinea pig, but for doing all this trouble shooting! I was so excited when I read your first post about it working, and was about to order. I'm glad I didn't hit the buy button though. Ugh!

I look forward to hearing any other developments you make. Thanks again.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
stpfarms said:
The 2015 HT-ST9 is still their premier sound bar so its not that Sony is trying to sell the 2016s.
The difference is that they actually do offer a differentiating product (and release revisions yearly) - which is unlikely to happen for PU box. Anyway the PU itself does get FW updates, but we have precious little idea what the hw inside actually is capable of doing.

DjRalford

My switch turned up today, didn't expect it to be so tiny, i've installed it behind the processing box for PSVR so i can easily switch between the 2 HDMI's.

Simples

Peltz

Damn Sony really fucked this up. They should just offer replacement processor units that allow HDR passthrough along with a trade in program (preferably for free).

Has Sony commented on this issue at all?

My switch turned up today, didn't expect it to be so tiny, i've installed it behind the processing box for PSVR so i can easily switch between the 2 HDMI's.

Simples

Which switch did you go with? Are you experiencing the "sparklies" that DJ Lushious was describing in PSVR?

DjRalford

Which switch did you go with? Are you experiencing the "sparklies" that DJ Lushious was describing in PSVR?

Just caught up, it is exactly the same switch, unfortunatly i am at work now so i have no way of testing until i get home in the morning.

Once i get home i shall test it out on the headset and see if i get the same issue, i still have the HDMI couplers to try out also so if i have the same issues i may just leave the switch in place for PS4 direct to the TV, and use the coupler to connect the PS4 HDMI to the PU HDMI when using VR, at least that way i'm unplugging from a £20 box instead of a £350 bit of equipment.

Could the issue be because the switch is being powered by the HDMI, i know it doesnt draw much power at all but perhaps this is lessening the signal getting through the the PSVR?

Could the issue be because the switch is being powered by the HDMI, i know it doesnt draw much power at all but perhaps this is lessening the signal getting through the the PSVR?
The Sewell tech theorized this, that maybe the processing unit is very fickle with just a minor drop in voltage being enough to introduce the anomalies.

Having said that, now the anticipation is killing me! Tell work you have to leave early... for science! :p

DjRalford

The Sewell tech theorized this, that maybe the processing unit is very fickle with just a minor drop in voltage being enough to introduce the anomalies.

Having said that, now the anticipation is killing me! Tell work you have to leave early... for science! :p

Leave early, i've only just started lol

For reference, what games did you try when you encountered issues?

I only have Playrrom VR, the demo disk, Batman VR and Tethered, so it'll be good to know we've both tried some of the same games.

DjRalford

Leave early, i've only just started lol

For reference, what games did you try when you encountered issues?

I only have Playrrom VR, the demo disk, Batman VR and Tethered, so it'll be good to know we've both tried some of the same games.

Ok, as luck would have it i had to pop home to pick something up :), so whilst there i tried it out.

Played Playroom Robot rescue and didnt notice anything, after booted up batman and noticed the odd random white / red sparkle, i'm saying 1 or 2 of them every 15 seconds or so.

So i can confirm i have the same issue, but i didn't have time to swap cables etc before coming back to work.

I will try the HDMI coupler tomorrow, seeing as that is just 2 connectors joining 2 cables and requires no power i'll expect no issues, but it may be the PU / headset is reliant on a specific signal reaching it and it could be that anything in the way of it could interfere.

EDIT - Doing a search online a few people have reported red static, a couple have resolved it by replacing cables, so again that might be a sign of the sensitivity of the headset to even the slightest change in signal.

DjRalford

I have another thought

If this is indeed a signal thing due to the voltage needed to run the switch, if i remove the extender cable and plug my headset straight into the PU box i am shortening the signal distance from box to headset, i wonder if this will be enough to stop the little red and white flashes when the switch is used?

People who have had similar issues online have said it is that cable thats caused it, so maybe removing that cable when using the switch will resolve it.

Practicality wise it'd be almost useless as you'd have to be so close to the PU box, but it'll be worth a shot to try and get to the bottom of it.

f@luS

More than a member.
Eagerly hoping we see a definitive solution come out of all this experimenting! Thanks to everyone giving it a shot.
I think the easiest is a simple hdmi coupler than you put instead the PSVR box when you don't use it. By far

Top Bottom