• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG dev Bluehole concerned over Fortnite's Battle Royale [Up: Background Both Sides]

EGOMON

Do they think they invented battle royal/king of the hill game type?! They just expanded on existing concept

mas8705

It isn't on Steam. But that probably won't stop some geniuses from trying to find it.

I edited that small part. Was under the impression that it might have been on Steam. Don't know what kind of backlash there would have been if it was on there though. Thank you for the correction.

Can we talk about the fact that on this site the tide turned against pubg when it became clear it was a long timed exclusive for xbox? Stay Classy Neogaf

In fairness, I think apart of that hate was how quick PUBG apparently bans players too in the game due to a variety of reasons. Of course the part of being "exclusive with Microsoft" doesn't help either. I wouldn't have thought that make people would have cared considering that Microsoft apparently has had "no exclusives this year" as some love to point out (but that's a whole other discussion for another thread).

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
But I can understand them being salty when such a clear copy comes around, especially from someone who've they've been working closely with. I'm surprised that people don't have at least some sympathy for that, since usually gaf has no problem to call out clones
Probably has to do with stuff like this:
NEKYX1n.gif

grk2PkL.gif

BwX6NCa.gif

it's not a clone.

Kinyou

it's not a clone.
I guess not everyone has the same definition of what makes something a clone, but when I look at all the elements they took from PUBG it's pretty clearly a clone to me. A building mechanic isn't enough to change that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I guess not everyone has the same definition of what makes something a clone, but when I look at all the elements they took from PUBG it's pretty clearly a clone to me. A building mechanic isn't enough to change that.
It's a clone in the saw way that Uncharted is a Gears clone. As a lot of those elements aren't exclusive to PUBG as several posts ITT point out. Derivative is the term you're looking for, and in this industry, derivative isn't inherently a bad thing.

DarkKyo

How about an actually attractive art style

So.... PUBG is a crystal clear The Culling clone by your definition? Minus a few cool features that they missed.

Nokterian

Why are they making such a big deal out of it? First it Moba's,now hero shooters and this? It happens, they need to get used to it.

tensuke

There's a good bit of room to clean up from a Japanese publisher/developer doing the same thing with better aesthetics.

Anime battle royale where the weapons are anime weapons with special moves and crates give you new clothes/accessories for your waifu companion that gives you messages of support throughout the game.

Get on it, Japan.

Deathmatch.
Team deathmatch.
Capture the Flag.
Domination.
Last Man Standing.

etc.

Do you know what every popular game mode was invented by someone? There was a point where a game was first on implementing one of those. And then they were copied.

But, do you feel like saying 'clone' because nowadays a game includes a Capture the Flag type?

zedge

Blue hole seem rather dickish here. Not a good look. They are only targeting fortnight due to its popularity. It's not the only similar game, and they are not the first.

SeppOCE

I love PUBG but isnt it extremely similar to H1Z1? I never played King of The Hill so apologies if this is a silly question.

Only thing extremely similar about them is the game mode. They have a very seperated community from one another due to their differences. H1z1 is inherintly more forgiving and has a very arcadey meta, gunplay and movement.

Only thing extremely similar about them is the game mode. They have a very seperated community from one another due to their differences. H1z1 is inherintly more forgiving and has a very arcadey meta, gunplay and movement.

Wouldn't this almost exactly apply word for word in regards to the Fortnite to PUBG comparison as well?

KingV

I would say a multiplayer competitive shooter where you can build mid battle is fairly unique. I can’t think of a similar game, really even if it is basically a mashup of multiple genres.

eizarus

Banned

it's not a clone.
Damn, I didn't even know you could do that.
Come on man. That building mechanic has a huge impact on how the game is played. It's still a battle royale game at it's but it plays very differently to PUBG

nynt9

I don’t mind other companies copying the formula but watching footage of fortnite battle royale, it seems a bit too close for comfort in terms of the visual language they use and the general conveyance of everything. Considering Epic helped bluehole develop PUBG, them rushing to market with a competitor that takes the exact same ideas and refers to PUBG itself in marketing seems scummy. Not illegal, but uncool.

The idea of being able to build in a BR game seems cool, but I don’t think that’s a core element of their design. They just retrofitted PUBG mechanics into the design of their most recent game. Even if the game had no building, they’d still do it.

Of course PUBG isn’t the first game to do it (though PU arguably helped create the genre in previous games) but how closely fortnite follows the PUBG formula and how they refer to it does make it pretty clear that Epic knew what they were doing and just didn’t give a fuck. In the end, not much PUBG can do here. At least they’re comfortable in their lead, and fortnite looks like the shooting is pretty bad so there’s still a differentiating factor. Just like how Paladins can’t take over Overwatch despite aping hero designs and visual elements.
no, global agenda having generic MMO classes and HiRez using those to create characters that look like OW characters does not count as HR originally conceiving those heroes. It is what it is. Also look at the recent card game and mobile game HR announced. They’re straight ripoffs of duelyst and kingdom rush. HR are ripoff artists, but it’s ok. In the end the good games will win out.

Village

Isn't GTA just strait up adding this to GTA online, yeah I guess they should be concerned. PUBG always seemed like basic and bare minimum, I guess they would be concerned about folks with like.... money.

There's a good bit of room to clean up from a Japanese publisher/developer doing the same thing with better aesthetics.

I would play the shit out of anime battle royale game with actual good character customization and permanent clothes

Kinyou

Do you know what every popular game mode was invented by someone? There was a point where a game was first on implementing one of those. And then they were copied.

But, do you feel like saying 'clone' because nowadays a game includes a Capture the Flag type?
A gamemode usually doesnt come with the entire UI being revamped.

If this doesnt qualify as a clone then I'm not sure what does

https://youtu.be/rYCQ7wI3b6E

So.... PUBG is a crystal clear The Culling clone by your definition? Minus a few cool features that they missed.
I haven't played the culling, so maybe? Does it predate the other mods from Player unknown?

The ๖ۜBronx;249681990 said:
Everyone saying it's a shitty thing for Epic to do should seriously consider what game modes and elements they enjoy in modern games to avoid looking stupid.

Daren't be playing anything that may have been copied or built upon a prior concept.

Looking over the info in the OP, I don't think the gripe is so much that the game mode exists, but that Epic may have leveraged their position as engine developer/technical support to gain a competitive advantage by 'borrowing' a few things from the code they were looking over.

Yes, it's a very similar claim to what Silicon Knights made previously, and in that specific case it was found to be without merit, but that does not mean that it's henceforth decided forever that there isn't a legal line to be crossed in these matters. Will be interesting to read Epic's reaction.

Edit: And of course, the name-dropping of PUBG in official marketing is something for the lawyers to discuss as well.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Or one of Ubi's franchises. Pretty much any major company with an actual budget and manpower.

The scary part about Wildlands and Battlefield is that the foundation for this mode is already built into the game. They’d require MINIMAL tweaking to implement a Battle Royale mode.

The thing with Battle Royal style games is well, you can't copyright a gameplay mode, so pretty much everyone is going to copy what works.

I mean, the movie established the basic rules decades ago. Now it's just up to implementation in a unique enough way to be fun. I don't blame epic for making a BR mode, nor would I blame anyone else.

The scary part about Wildlands and Battlefield is that the foundation for this mode is already built into the game. They’d require MINIMAL tweaking to implement a Battle Royale mode.

Wouldnt the netcode have to be revamped though? Not sure its that feasable since they only have 4v4 at the moment.

What does the community for this even look like on consoles? Like I don't doubt Epic made the right call introducing the mode, but is their playerbase even able to support it?

It's going to be f2p next week. So that should help with keeping a large player base.

nick_b

The folks that own the original Battle Royale IP (the book and movie) should make a game and then sue everybody else. That way we get a legit BR game.

Edit: Also find a way to incorporate Beat Takeshi and his Challenge into it so the last 2 surviving kids have to sing into player 2's mic.

Savitar

I agree with anyone that brought up Battle Royale (unless someone did Battle Royale before Battle Royale) and everyone should be thanking them. In gaming there will always be imitators and innovators eventually, happens in every genre, look at how many tried to be the next Mario Brothers or Street Fighter when those games were red hot in the platform and fighting genre. Open worlds are extremely popular these days now. People go where there may be money, PUBG hasn't exactly done anything new, it simply did what's best currently and became the bigger hotter kill everyone aspect with more Battle Royale influences.

A gamemode usually doesnt come with the entire UI being revamped.

If this doesnt qualify as a clone then I'm not sure what does

https://youtu.be/rYCQ7wI3b6E

A is not B. The UI change came with in the same update, but applies to the new and old game modes.

Old UI
Fortnite-Review-Shot-(10).jpg

New UI
FczvGd7.jpg

PUBG UI
maxresdefault.jpg

The only really pain points in the UI revamp is the compass at the top and perhaps the kill list. Most of the rest is simplified from the basic Fortnite UI.

I would also point out that you used a video that undercuts your point, noting the game mode does not simply feel like a cheap cash in. Because, in the end, they play rather differently. (As does the GTA Online Motor Wars mode.)

If you want to start with broad mechanical similarities, then as others have pointed out, there's a whole heaping list of games before you even get here.

I think perhaps you're lacking in the mechanic nitty gritty and specifics of the games involved, unless you're also willing to say that League of Legends, Dota 2, and Heroes of the Storm are all clones. And if you want to say that, then at least we're all logically consistent.

Gator86

lol, nice try.

I don't understand this weird downplay of platforms here. It PUBG isn't on PS4 until the middle of next year or something, that leaves a huge opportunity for another game to become established. That's not console wars or something, just basic logic. I'm trying Fortnite on PS4 purely because PUBG isn't available. A lot of other people are going to do the same.

Shai-Tan

Banned

The impetus to restrict the play area comes from having a huge map and scavenging so it doesn't make a lot of sense to bolt it on to current maps in Battlefield. The only actual innovation is the play area restriction but it's built on the ARMA/Operation Flashpoint/open world DNA of huge maps

Top Bottom