• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica |OT| - It's a magical girl anime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I think
dead is dead. Otherwise Mami could have wished her whole family back to life.

Besides it ruins the narrative if she just comes back.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Branduil said:
I think

maybe that's a catch like wishing for infinite wishes.
even the namekian dragon could only wish back one person at a time

Branduil said:
I think

She
didn't really have time to make a wish though. If she didn't wish herself healed (or to become a Puella Magi?) she probably would've died right there.

Branduil said:
I think

She said herself she didn't have much time to think about it, and she is/was just a kid. Wishing herself not dead was probably as far as she got. Could be why she is so down on herself that she only thought of herself in that situation

Wont be long till we find out anyway so probably not worth speculating on.

edit: beatenish

trejo

Branduil said:
I think
That's not necesarily true. Maybe she wished
for her own survival then

She'll either
stay dead or come back as a witch/something else

edit: super beaten.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Branduil said:
I think

I don't think they ever said what was Mami's
specific wish. She might have said something like "I don't want to die alone". Lo and behold, she dies as soon as she makes friends.
:(

Branduil

cosmicblizzard said:
She
didn't really have time to make a wish though. If she didn't wish herself healed (or to become a Puella Magi?) she probably would've died right there.
But
she could tell one of the other girls to wish her family back to life.

Branduil

Regulus Tera said:
I don't think she's selfish enough to ask for that, especially considering what's at stake.
She was selfish enough to ask them to take part in a horrible life just so she'd have friends.

I don't think asking someone to bring back your family if they can is that bad. But I think it's likely not possible to wish for that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can tell this is going to be one of those ball punching anime.

Everything is fine and dandy and rainbows and candy until--

BAM

--right in the cojones.

Bring on the anguish, my body is ready.

tiff

Banned
Branduil said:
She was selfish enough to ask them to take part in a horrible life just so she'd have friends.

I don't think asking someone to bring back your family if they can is that bad. But I think it's likely not possible to wish for that.
Did she ask them? I remember the two girls being willing to go along with it more than anything.

Besides, she made a big deal about thinking carefully about a wish worth risking your life for. Saving Mami's parents doesn't do much for Madoka or Sayaka, honestly.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
trejo said:
That's not necesarily true. Maybe she wished
for her own survival then

She'll either
stay dead or come back as a witch/something else

edit: super beaten.

There could be a special rule that
magical girl cannot be bring back to life.

Or

She did success on bring Mami back. Mami ended up to be some crazy evil magical girl?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:

You know,

I figure she did wish for everyone to be alive, which is why she understands there's a catch when it comes to wishes that don't involve the wish-maker. It may explain why she was alone anyway.

kiunchbb said:
She did success on bring Mami back. Mami ended up to be some crazy evil magical girl?

That's my suggestion.

I'm assuming it's like a fucked up genie, where the wishes are literal rather than reflecting the person's actual intent.

Risette

A Good Citizen
firehawk12 said:
I'm assuming it's like a fucked up genie, where the wishes are literal rather than reflecting the person's actual intent.
What if when Mami made her wish at the car crash she wished something like "I wish to not die" and she ends up immortal? :eek:

Mandoric said:
Oh my, a MadoMagi thread. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Oddly enough, there's some real discussion going on. Only a few "lol, anime" comments. Of course it's all people from the anime thread, so it's not really any different than if it was discussed in there.

tiff

Banned
Aigis said:
What if when Mami made her wish at the car crash she wished something like "I wish to not die" and she ends up immortal? :eek:
Didn't work out so well.
cosmicblizzard said:
Oddly enough, there's some real discussion going on. Only a few "lol, anime" comments. Of course it's all people from the anime thread, so it's not really any different than if it was discussed in there.
Kinda don't really see the point, then.

cosmicblizzard said:
Slows the main thread down so we don't miss important things in there like just how bad is Infinite Stratos and screencaps of Merry's belly.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't know....

If I wanted to get mainstream GAF onto magical girls show, it's have to be Princess Tutu or nothing.

51Re5O6RyeL.jpg

jman2050

Princess Tutu isn't a magical girl anime, it's a MANLY anime, get it right. But we digress.

Anyway,
Mami getting revived via wish seems way too convenient given how the show has progressed so far. I find it more likely that there is more of a catch to this whole arrangement than previously indicated

But then again, there was the whole conversation about "using your wish on others just to make yourself feel better" that may end up being relevant in this situation if Madoka is able to revive Mami.

Either way, I love how the show is relatively straightforward in its intentions yet there are a myriad of possible directions it can go in that no one can agree on.

Jex

Branduil said:
I think

Dead is dead is an important narrative rule, but plenty of shows break it.

I don't expect them to break it here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mandoric said:
Oh my, a MadoMagi thread. I can't wait to see where this goes.
Hey, when's the next episode of Kizu going to air?

Damnit, I guess the joke's not funny anymore when it's just you and me. :p

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Dead is dead is an important narrative rule, but plenty of shows break it.

I don't expect them to break it here.
Oh it's definitely true that plenty of shows break it, but how many do it well?

It certainly seems unlikely that Kyubey's wishes will be as wonderful as he sells them to be.

Mandoric

Banned
jman2050 said:
On a scale from "lolshaft" to "meh", where do you rank this so far?

I'm enjoying it a bit too much. Can't find anything to be snarky about in track tags. It's not necessarily hugely original in the way some people are claiming, but the people they picked to do 'light' and 'dark' are both excellent at their specialties.

firehawk12 said:
Hey, when's the next episode of Kizu going to air?

Damnit, I guess the joke's not funny anymore when it's just you and me. :p

A couple more times and it'll be just you!

Jesus, it's hard for a civilian to find the good shows in the bewildering maze of insanity that is anime. For every good show, like an Oreimo or Squid Girl, there are a million bizarre, unwatchable and ununderstandable by a westerner shows.

Trent Strong said:
Jesus, it's hard for a civilian to find the good shows in the bewildering maze of insanity that is anime. For every good show, like an Oreimo or Squid Girl, there are a million bizarre, unwatchable and ununderstandable by a westerner shows.

I really think you should watch the first few minutes before you judge it. Seriously, this is NOT your typical magical girl show. I would put it WAY above Squid Girl and Oreimo and I actually liked those shows.

Salazar

Trent Strong said:

Trust in Dresden and Jexhius*

*Except about K-ON. It's great, and they don't recognise it.

Trent Strong said:
?

Salazar said:
Trust in Dresden and Jexhius*

*Except about K-ON. It's great, and they don't recognise it.

I think Dresden got banned, at least temporarily. Jexhius seems pretty sharp. A few people actually recommended K-ON in the Oreimo thread.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I was skeptical after the first two episodes, but the third turned me into a fan good shit.

I'm interested because someone said Yuki Kajiura worked on the music. I followed another link and liked what I heard.

So, uh, where does one watch this?

jman2050

dragonlife29 said:
I'm interested because someone said Yuki Kajiura worked on the music. I followed another link and liked what I heard.

I'd avoid asking that on these forums.

trejo

dragonlife29 said:

On a monitor/screen of some sort would be my suggestion.

Actually, what is Gaf's stance on fansubs? Is the problem just with downloading? I know big manga directory sites like Mangafox are fine to talk about, so would it be alright to mention streaming sites? It's kind of the same thing.

Mandoric

Banned
Trent Strong said:
I actually probably would, but I don't want to get it illegally.

I believe there's an official stream on NicoNico Live weekly Wednesday nights. You could maybe find someone's script and refer to that while watching?

cosmicblizzard said:
Actually, what is Gaf's stance on fansubs? Is the problem just with downloading? I know big manga directory sites like Mangafox are fine to talk about, so would it be alright to mention streaming sites? It's kind of the same thing.

Please, no.

duckroll

Do not ask for or direct others on this forum to places which contain illegal material or copyright infringement of entertainment media. If Kanye West has a new album and it's leaked a month before it's out in stores, people can talk about it, but linking to it would be a big no-no. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Whelp, that answers that. Maybe someone will officially pick it up. Funimation (it was them right?) got Freezing after it already started, so maybe there's still hope for a simulcast.

Haly

istockphoto_84565-thin-ice-sign.jpg

So...

Did they explain how Akemi has her powers or not?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Halycon said:
Did they explain how Akemi has her powers or not?
Naw. Although it'd be funny if her origin story was, "I wanted to have a pony so I wished for one!" or something equally banal. You almost expect her to have some tragic origin story after all.

Haly

For some reason I feel like Akemi was actually recruited by Kyubey a long way back.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Halycon said:
For some reason I feel like Akemi was actually recruited by Kyubey a long way back.
Yeah, given that she doesn't have her own creepy catdogthing of her own to torture her.

Mandoric

Banned
Serious answer, there's something up with her sharing a weapon with Madoka.

Alternately, I'm assuming her wish was for all the stationery she could imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom