• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PuniTy - Silent Hill P.T. recreation for PC/Mac/Linux

Someone eventually will nail the graphics & go further.

I really think what made P.T. so scary, for me at least, was it looked damn near photoreal all the time. Completely got my suspension of disbelief.

You gotta get the lighting & everything just right.

Part of the reason I wasn't too broken up about the cancellation of Silent Hills is no way the whole game was going to be THAT. Yet, the P.T. demo, only MORE, and perhaps even more real looking is what I WANT.

(original PT brightened, you can hardly beat these visuals:
KrhdC3a.jpg
)

and to think Kojima and Co. actually turned down the graphics before the final release...

Omikaru

How would you know this? That screenshot has the colors/levels edited in photoshop.

P.T. had zero marketing before it was released. There was no, "downgrade."
There was, but we never saw it.

Kojima or someone at KP said they tuned down the graphics because they were scared players wouldn't believe this was made by a smaller team (which was the original deception before it was revealed to be Silent Hills).

jholmes

PuniTy is a pretty brilliant title.

It's cool people are trying to keep this available. However Konami gets with the program eventually.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kojima should steal the source code, leak it out of like... Norway or something and have the internet at large have P.T., IMO.

Not that I totally endorse that, but the fact that Konami is pretty much erasing it from the internet and peoples histories to try to make Kojima's stuff invisible is just ugh.

In any case, these fan remakes will probably eventually nail the PS4 demo.

BibiMaghoo

This is actually Konami's PC version of the game. You can see they pulled out all the stops to deliver maximum quality.

Whompa02

There was, but we never saw it.

Kojima or someone at KP said they tuned down the graphics because they were scared players wouldn't believe this was made by a smaller team (which was the original deception before it was revealed to be Silent Hills).

Weird. Oh well. It still looks incredibly realistic.

SerTapTap

Is the Fox engine going to be used for anything but Konami games?

Japanese developers rarely share engines, so I really really doubt it. It's probably why last gen was a fucking disaster and why only with studios moving to UE4 has some productivity been regained.

Roussow

Japanese developers rarely share engines, so I really really doubt it. It's probably why last gen was a fucking disaster and why only with studios moving to UE4 has some productivity been regained.

With Konami seemingly getting out of the gaming industry, you'd imagine it might make good business sense to outsource engines and IP to other devs -- given their gambling focus.

DavidDesu

Every thread about P.T. reminds me that Silent Hills will never be reality

:(

Yep Konami are mad. I understand Kojima takes his time and maybe spends more than originally budgeted but we can see MGSV will be a massive seller, and this could have been too. I normally hate horror games but this was done so right and looked so good, I'd have bought it easy. Might only have gotten 20 minutes in before bailing but that's beside the point!

Played through it, I think. I feel like I'm missing something, but maybe that's because I haven't played P.T. I don't seem to be able to interact with anything, so I'm just walking back and from one end of the hallway and back over and over?
and then die

it's got a cool mood, but I feel like there's something more that I'm missing.

cj_iwakura

Played through it, I think. I feel like I'm missing something, but maybe that's because I haven't played P.T. I don't seem to be able to interact with anything, so I'm just walking back and from one end of the hallway and back over and over?
and then die

it's got a cool mood, but I feel like there's something more that I'm missing.

I watched a video of P.T.(even though they all have some annoying LPer talking over the game), and the original has a lot more going on. Radio chatter, voices, photos, bathroom interactions, etc.

This is still impressive, but it's missing a fair amount.

I watched a video of P.T.(even though they all have some annoying LPer talking over the game), and the original has a lot more going on. Radio chatter, voices, photos, bathroom interactions, etc.

This is still impressive, but it's missing a fair amount.

I had a talk with a friend who has PT. He told me there is more going on in PT, but it still ends up being a lot of walking back and forth and little interaction. I was under the impression there was some interesting puzzle to solve, but he says the thing you do in order to "beat" PT and get the Silent Hills trailer are strangely arbitrary.

I had a talk with a friend who has PT. He told me there is more going on in PT, but it still ends up being a lot of walking back and forth and little interaction. I was under the impression there was some interesting puzzle to solve, but he says the thing you do in order to "beat" PT and get the Silent Hills trailer are strangely arbitrary.

That's true. It was made to be as obtuse as possible in order to create buzz about Silent Hills. The gameplay gimmicks aren't very good, but it's still one of the best experiences in horror gaming I've ever had.

P.T. isn't as deeply interactive as a lot of games, but it doesn't need to be. The atmosphere is what keeps it going, at the atmosphere has no equal. The puzzles are interesting and fairly unique as well.

Tried this, neat attempt and it's impressive for what it is, but nowhere near the original.

Lisa looks way more creepy in this than in P.T.

I just watched a playthrough video, and everything looked pretty great until Lisa appeared for the kill, and then I started laughing because of the quality of the model. I'm surprised anyone could find it creepier than the original. It looked totally out of place to me.

Top Bottom