• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Push Square] Sony's lack of communication is becoming an issue

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They probably don’t need to give too much info, PlayStations don’t even need games to sell and generate buzz.

Still, it would be nice to have more complete info. At least we’d know if Sony fans can move to Stage 2 or if the PS5 is everything the XSX is and some. Anything to stop beating this dead horse, lol.

DJT123

They probably don’t need to give too much info, PlayStations don’t even need games to sell and generate buzz.

Still, it would be nice to have more complete info. At least we’d know if Sony fans can move to Stage 2 or if the PS5 is everything the XSX is and some. Anything to stop beating this dead horse, lol.
That cat is an amazing specimen, lol.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
  • Some people paid hundred and hundreds of dollars for something we know very little about

laughing.gif

djkimothy

it’s not only about the lack of communication. It’s also about spreading lies.
Anyone remember this:

If MS pulled something like they would be hammered, but since it’s Sony it’s easily forgotten. Hypocrisy.

No where in that article did he actually confirm PS5 games won’t play on the PS4. The headline is a lie. The article literally makes up an inference out of thin air.

Even Jaffe himself is calling out this bullshit.

Last edited:

MH3M3D

Quick everybody! Cancel your PS5 pre-order to force Sony to get us more excited!
Why are people so impatient? There's the entire month of October to get more info. And then you'll still wait a couple of weeks before getting your console at home. CAN WE CHILL OUT FOR A BIT?

ZywyPL

Banned
That's what Sony always do, long radio silence periods with some big info/events between them, strange there are so many Sony fans on this forums who semm no to know them at all. They are obviously keeping everything for the very last month before launch, 2nd half of October will be full of media/info blowout, I have little doubts about it. They are simply not in a position where they should do otherwise, many people will get PS5 even completely blindly just because of the brand's strength/recognition, MS wasn't even present in many many countries across the globe until XB1 launched (and that was a bad launch to begin with), whereas Sony was there the whole time for the past quarter of century, so what are the odds of people NOT picking up Playstation console for the 5th time? Close to zero if you ask me, unless Sony seriously screws up something.

Mmnow

No where in that article did he actually confirm PS5 games won’t play on the PS4. The headline is a lie.

Even Jaffe himself is calling out this bullshit.

"We believe in generations, and that's all we've got to say about that."

Four months go by in complete silence...

"Yes our games are cross-gen. Yes, we announced it five minutes after our digital showcase in a blog post. But we haven't once said they WON'T be cross-gen. Where's the lie?!"

Come on. It's a lie by omission. They don't need to flat out say "our games aren't going to be on PS4 any longer" for it to be obvious what they were doing. At any point, while Microsoft were getting flak for doing the same thing, they could've announced it. But they didn't.

And why did it matter so much that people are now ignoring that incredibly obvious move to say "they didn't lie"?

Even if they didn't, and that's a hypothetical if because they absolutely did, how they handled this was shady as hell.

Last edited:
Your neck called, it wants your head out of Sony's arse.

I have no idea why you are triggered, that's something you need to answer.

I'm not saying I like Sony's approach, I'm stating that they have a specific approach and it hasn't been reactionary to what MS does.

djkimothy

"We believe in generations, and that's all we've got to say about that."

Four months go by in complete silence...

"Yes our games are cross-gen. Yes, we announced it five minutes after our digital showcase in a blog post. But we haven't once said they WON'T be cross-gen. Where's the lie?!"

Come on. It's a lie by omission. They don't need to flat out say "our games aren't going to be on PS4 any longer" for it to be obvious what they were doing. At any point, while Microsoft were getting flak for doing the same thing, they could've announced it. But they didn't.

And why did it matter so much that people are now ignoring that incredibly obvious move to say "they didn't lie"?

Even if they didn't, and that's a hypothetical if because they absolutely did, how they handled this was shady as hell.

I think the “we believe in generations” was taken out of context. It was speaking to features specific to the PS5 such as the SSD and dual sense controller that could not be had from a PS4. And a “lie of omission” is kind of a cop reason n

TussalDimon_I

Neo Member
What matters is games. And Sony showed plenty. General public doesn't give a shit about UI, social features of what apps will it have. Switch is a bares bone console with the most basic UI and it's selling like hot cakes.

Ar¢tos

You will know what you need to know when it is time for you to know it.

If only there was time between today and the 11th of November...

Last edited:

Roufianos

• Complains that all this information is buried in various tweets, news snippets and being left out of the 'showcases'
  • Some people paid hundred and hundreds of dollars for something we know very little about
  • Lists stuff we don't know about the PS5 (UI, BC and repurchasing TLOU/GoT/ console apps and features, how is create different to share, no info on launch titles like sackboy/all stars despite being launch titles for £70, which non-proprietary drives are available - if any)
  • Demo of UI, show these unique features they've been speaking about since March
  • More information and gameplay in context of Destruction: All Stars and Sackboy
  • Storage solutions and even an 'expected' price.

Some of it's nitpicking but these ones are all very valid complaints. Especially info being left out of the conference and put into tweets / interviews and the expectation that they can charge £70 for games we've barely seen.

Sony's messaging is just lazy and complacent, I actually hope Xbox does well this gen to give them an oh so needed kick up the ass.

Last edited:
I think Push have got itchy post fingers.

As already mentioned, it is likely Sony have their schedule and they are sticking to it. They likely want it to be coordinated rather than reactionary to whatever Xbox is putting out.

I still think it is a little too early. A month, maybe even a few weeks before the launch date will be the time to watch. If nothing has arrived by then, yes I would be raising an eyebrow or two.

Mmnow

I think the “we believe in generations” was taken out of context. It was speaking to features specific to the PS5 such as the SSD and dual sense controller that could not be had from a PS4. And a “lie of omission” is kind of a cop reason n
Yeah, no.

If it was taken out of context, any marketing team with half a brain would have corrected it, considering the implication of that comment.

How is lie of omission a cop out?

Did Horizon and Spiderman have the PS4 logo on their websites? Do you think these games just weren't planned for PS4 until the announcement was made, or do you think maybe there was a reason they announced it at the time and place they did?

Use your brain, mate. Cross gen isn't a bad thing, but the way they handled this does not deserve defending.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
In the original article from gameindustrybiz, they say he clearly meant it differently. This was an interview, where they talked to each other, so I expect they clearly knew what he meant with that.
One way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One. Yet Ryan says that's not something PlayStation is interested in doing.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Imo it tells more about the people pre ordering rather than Sony doing something wrong.

If someone can get away with earning millions without giving any expectations, then I'd say they are doing really good business.

and in the end its not about the games but the name on the plastic box

Kokoloko85

Imo it tells more about the people pre ordering rather than Sony doing something wrong.

If someone can get away with earning millions without giving any expectations, then I'd say they are doing really good business.

You want people not to preorder because we havent seen UI or boost mode?

We have details on launch titles. ( with actual 1st party games unlike the xbox )
We’ve seen gameplay of new games running on PS5 ( unlike the xbox... )
We know its BC for PS4 games

We have an idea of first year releases and seen some gameplay from a couple:
Ratchet and Clank
Gran Turismo 7
Horizon 2
God of War Ragnarok
Final Fantasy 16

Yes theres a lot to be desired but not to not preorder, I dont get your point

Last edited:
You want people not to preorder because we havent seen UI or boost mode?

We have details on launch titles. ( with actual 1st party games unlike the xbox )
We’ve seen gameplay of new games running on PS5 ( unlike the xbox... )
We know its BC for PS4 games

We have an idea of first year releases and seen some gameplay from a couple:
Ratchet and Clank
Gran Turismo 7
Horizon 2
God of War Ragnarok
Final Fantasy 16

Yes theres a lot to be desired but not to not preorder, I dont get your point
you think GT7 will come out in the first year......lol
Maybe ps6 first year

Edit
Great if true but i dont see it happening

Last edited:
oh look, another article from people who need clicks to survive thematizing a made up issue easily refuted by real world facts such as 0 available stock of the product in question...........

Yumi

Maybe overreacting to recent XBOX news. If they dont release and video or hands on impressions before launch I'd be very surprised.

Zheph

it is about the games.

Ask Sony. They aren't going to react to MS news, they are going to show the UI when it's time to on their roadmap and other things when they fall in place.
You do know we are less than 2 months away from launch and we haven't even had a hands down video? I still remember when xbox 360 got revealed, that was a great video with J Allard detailing the console.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Demons souls is a fake launch title.....

The funny thing is that Demon's Souls being an actual launch title was revealed only two weeks ago. Before the most recent PS5 showcase no one knew when the game would be out, since the annoucement trailer didn't mention when the game would be available yet other trailers (Horizon Zero: Dawn for instance) announced a 2021 release date. And then Sony fucked up even that announcement by suggesting the game was a "console exclusive" which left the path open to a PC version, so they had to make a statement about there being no PC version.

That's just one example of Sony's awful PR strategy. It's just one big mess but luckily for Sony's PR perople the brand is so strong that the PS5 will sell out anyway.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
In the original article from gameindustrybiz, they say he clearly meant it differently. This was an interview, where they talked to each other, so I expect they clearly knew what he meant with that.

Im starting to think Jim simply did not understand the fuck he was talking about in believing in generations.

For gamers, it is either game engines being built ground up or back compat across your generations of games library.

To Jim, it was simply more hardware power that can be used.

Old man is so out of touch

yurinka

They increased PS5 production for launch months compared to PS4, the best selling console ever at launch weekend or launch month. PS5 preorders went sold out everywhere very fast.

Some retailers are saying some preorder units won't be able to be sent until next year, which means that with the first preorders alone they already broke launch weekend and launch month gaming history records. I wouldn't call it a disaster, seems they are doing a good job.

it’s not only about the lack of communication. It’s also about spreading lies.
Anyone remember this:

If MS pulled something like they would be hammered, but since it’s Sony it’s easily forgotten. Hypocrisy.
The lie is that article's title, not what Jim Ryan said. Jim Ryan never said they weren't going to do crossgen games.

In the interview where he said to believe in generations, he said they were going to continue supporting PS4 for years and that he wanted next gen to feature unique, meaninful improvements (super fast loading, raytracing, 3d audio , dual sense features, etc) and that he wanted to see the next gen games to take advantage of them. And that's what they will do, because that doesn't mean they can't release some of these games in PS4 to support it without using these features in PS4.

If you want non crossgen big AAA exclusives, PS5 will also have them too at launch and during the first year, while Series X and Gamepass won't.

Im starting to think Jim simply did not understand the fuck he was talking about in believing in generations.

For gamers, it is either game engines being built ground up or back compat across your generations of games library.

To Jim, it was simply more hardware power that can be used.

Old man is so out of touch
Please stop spreading shit in PS threads, miss Phil Spencer.

In the interview where he said to believe in generarions, he said that while they were going to continue supporting PS4 for a while, he wanted new generation consoles to feature meaningful improvements and new features (like super fast loading, RT, 3D audio, haptic feedback, and so on) and next gen games taking advantage of them.

They will have a consoles with this features and improvements, they will release since day one games taking advantage of these features and improvements, and will continue supporting PS4 with games.

PS4 and now PS5 will both continue breaking sales, revenue and usercount gaming history records, proving not only that he isn't out of touch, but that their strategy is the one that provided better results, which means it's in line with what most players prefer.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Their strategy seems to be to poke our curiosity the most they can with the least information possible. In these days of incertitude they leave us interpreting our entertainment needs by discretely letting us want this console.

Ar¢tos

Their strategy seems to be to poke our curiosity the most they can with the least information possible. In these days of incertitude they leave us interpreting our entertainment needs by discretely letting us want this console.
If this was the ps2 era (with the covid mess) I could actually picture Sony doing TV adverts showing the games in an amazing way and ending with "DON'T BUY IT" or "YOU DON'T REALLY NEED IT".

recursive

This narrative has been going on for almost a year when people were having meltdowns about lack of PS5 info a year before release date was known. It is just online nerd enthusiasts complaining. I don't think the general population cares and the whole "starting to become an issue" is mostly hyperbolic at this point.

No one is going to give a shit about sonys comms strategy after release day (except people whining about how 3rd party retailers handle restock orders and blaming sony since they didn't get one and are salty).

reptilex

Banned
Thanks to competitive market, this is yet another signal, not the lack of communication but the complete dumbification of fanboys, that it will the biggest PS generational failure. Mark my words: PS5 will sell 80 millions lifetime...

Orky

Banned
I have no idea why you are triggered, that's something you need to answer.

I'm not saying I like Sony's approach, I'm stating that they have a specific approach and it hasn't been reactionary to what MS does.

What? Of course it is. As soon as MS announced crossgen and how they want to support even the old gen, like supporting the old controller and Games both generations Sony came out spouting how they „believe in generations“. Don’t tell me this isn’t reactionary and just a way to profit from MSs bad news.
Although, Sony is the one who also develops crossgen games and even forces you to buy a new controller, yet no one gives a shit.

PS5 situation is really bad.
The only next gen game is Ratchet and it is just good, it's not a launch title and I feel we won't see it in the launch window before March 31.
Then too much games compatible with PS4 or developed on PS4 and ported to PS5 in their final stage.
Godfall seems good, but it's not for everyone. Demon's Souls is clearly developed on PS4. Spiderman is a PS4 game with raytraced puddles.
Fornite, Astro's Playroom and Sackboy are embarassing. No info at all about Destruction All Stars, the PS5's Fantavision.

And after that? Almost no info about any other releases. Just PS4 games for another year, and maybe more.

PS2 launch, which is considered one of the worst launch ever with few good games for about one year . But at least you had PS2 games on PS2 console.

NOV19-Gervais-Laughing.gif

And i thought the multiple threads on here are redundant but youtubers start getting onto the redundance train as well... I mean i get it, people who make their living with repeating existing info over and over again in decreasing quality are pissed bc sony doesnt give away too much. But then starting to phantasize they are "losing momentum" and the "but people pay lots of money and dont know shit" pseudo pro consumer stance are just pure hypocrisy, because ore orders and availability speak a whole different language than "losing momentum" and who gives a single shit about consumers that spent money on stuff they don´t know about. if you don´t know enough that will justify the purchase of a electronic device for a couple hundred bucks guess what: don´t buy/pre-order it. But fomo too stronk i guess? It´s actually the worst aspect of this generational transistion. It´s okay as long as it stays in forums, but man this is spreading around all internetmedia...

Top Bottom