• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushsquare - Dreams Is Arguably PS4's Most Impressive Exclusive Yet.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...s_arguably_ps4s_most_impressive_exclusive_yet

Dreams is going to win awards, and we don’t just mean gongs of the Geoff Keighley kind. No, we’re talking real-world innovation awards – the likes of which Media Molecule’s going to have to collect in tuxedos as opposed to its usual hipster threads.

Why has it taken so long, then? There’s simply nothing like this ever been done before. Yes, this is an evolution of LittleBigPlanet in a lot of ways, but the possibilities are so far beyond what could be done with Sackboy et al that it’s difficult to really compare and contrast the two. This exclusive has more in common with a game engine such as Unreal or Unity – except it’s more than that, because there’s a sculpting utility here as well as a digital audio workstation and an animation suite.

But perhaps beyond all of that, it’s a social network for creativity. Sony’s had such a difficult time communicating what this game is because it can quite literally be anything, and you can be anything within it. Don’t worry if you’re not a game designer, because you can be a curator – discovering the very best content and sharing it with the world. Or you can be an artist, designing assets for others to use. Or a musician, composing songs and sound effects for the community. And so on…

This is one of the most innovative, extraordinary pieces of software that we’ve seen on a console in quite some time. Imagine, for one moment, that you’re making an American Football game. You’ve programmed the game loop, but your quarterback character is currently a cube. Well, it’s time to go Dream Surfing, searching for a Tom Brady look-a-like that fits your creation. Pick one that's already been created and you’ll both get credited for your work, and you may even decide to work with that character artist again on future projects.

Or perhaps it wasn’t Tom Brady you wanted in your game, but Aaron Rodgers instead. No problem, you can simply remix the asset until the colour palette matches that of the Green Bay Packers. Every single thing that you see in Dreams is created in Dreams – this isn’t like LittleBigPlanet where you’re pulling in stock assets that have been pre-designed for you. No, every model, every sound effect, every piece of art, every animation, every bit of logic can be built on a DualShock 4.

And it can be browsed for hours and hours and hours. It’s like when you fall into a YouTube hole, and you’re clicking from recommended video to recommended video – except here, you’re jumping from minigames involving llamas to models of crustaceans to covers of The King of Wishful Thinking. And it all just happens – loading never takes more than five seconds, and is generally instantaneous. Will the servers remain as rapid when the wider public gets access? We hope so.

Creation can be done with the DualShock 4 or a couple of PlayStation Move motion controllers, although good luck purchasing a pair of those at this moment in time. There’s a vast suite of tutorials which will be overwhelming for some, but these are heavily interactive, providing a picture-in-picture workspace as you follow instructions and replicate creations on screen. Or you can just remix someone else’s work and try to figure out how it all functions.

You may not think you have the imagination to make Dreams worthwhile, but outside of some rudimentary audio programming, we’ve spent the majority of the beta simply browsing other creations. And already, in this pre-release environment, the concepts being uploaded are staggering. There’s one level where you drive a jeep through a series of stunning environments; another has some really imaginative platforming mechanics. There’s new stuff every single day.

And if you look at what people eventually achieved in LittleBigPlanet, well, greatness awaits here. You can make RPGs, movies; you can record albums, create cartoons. And you can do it all individually or collaboratively, in an intuitive interface that will take time and dedication to master – but is already being mastered. If the creative aspects of Minecraft and Roblox can be considered a Big Mac, then this is a Five Guys with a strawberry-vanilla milkshake and some of those Cajun-flavoured fries.

Sony’s released some impressive exclusives this generation which have pushed the boundaries of story-telling and audiovisual entertainment. Dreams… Well, it’s something else entirely. It’s an astounding technical achievement with unprecedented ambition. But more exciting than that, we’re still only peeking at the project’s potential. This is a game that will really come into its own in the months and years after its release, and judging by what we’ve seen so far, the sky’s the limit.

Only idiots will complain about the "lAcK oF gAMeplAy" when really this game is just a developer suite for artists and creatives. If you're not creative, then you will not fully appreciate Dreams.

Edit: I'm not a creative but I'm still excited to see what I'll develop with Dreams.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Only idiots will complain about the "lAcK oF gAMeplAy" when really this game is just a developer suite for artists and creatives. If you're not creative, then you will not fully appreciate Dreams.

Edit: I'm not a creative but I'm still excited to see what I'll develop with Dreams.

Show me a “game” something fun to play and is concise.

Right now it’s all “recreating other games looks” no gameplay to go with it.

I don’t see a game. I see tech demos.

If this World, wants to be a better place, Dreams is a good place to start, by that i mean Dreams Can be a Way for even more people to Express themselves, personally i would love if society would create Public places for social challenged, Or criminal people to Express themselves through dreams. It seems this utility could be a great Way to make people Challenge there purpose and even educate themselves. Personally i see a lot of potential but requires good Will from society and from people in general. I would not at all be against the idea of creating a charity for the solo purpose of making people challenged in life able to experience What Dreams Can do.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
If this World, wants to be a better place, Dreams is a good place to start, by that i mean Dreams Can be a Way for even more people to Express themselves, personally i would love if society would create Public places for social challenged, Or criminal people to Express themselves through dreams. It seems this utility could be a great Way to make people Challenge there purpose and even educate themselves. Personally i see a lot of potential requires good Will from society and from people in general. I would not at all be against the idea of creating a charity for the solo purpose of making people challenged in life able to experience What Dreams Can do.

Holy shit you are right. We should just put Dreams in front of all our world leaders. And then take what they create and mash it together for a Utopia.

Hopefully after that it will cure cancer, and STDs and maybe Teenage Pregnancy.

Dreams is the answer to everything. You just have to believe in it.

This is the pivotal moment in society, right here.

I can see the tag lines.

Are you a dreamer? Do you dream?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Holy shit you are right. We should just put Dreams in front of all our world leaders. And then take what they create and mash it together for a Utopia.

I can see the tag lines.

Take it easy with your sarcasm pal

The dude just expressing his own ideas and the game creation content

Dont need to be angry over something like that

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned

I can see the tag lines.

Man, the bitterness of this guy.

Kagey K

Banned
If this World, wants to be a better place, Dreams is a good place to start, by that i mean Dreams Can be a Way for even more people to Express themselves, personally i would love if society would create Public places for social challenged, Or criminal people to Express themselves through dreams. It seems this utility could be a great Way to make people Challenge there purpose and even educate themselves. Personally i see a lot of potential but requires good Will from society and from people in general. I would not at all be against the idea of creating a charity for the solo purpose of making people challenged in life able to experience What Dreams Can do.
Take it easy with your sarcasm pal

The dude just expressing his own ideas and the game creation content

Dont need to be angry over something like that

Umm I’m sorry did you read that? We are going to rehabilitate criminals with this game? Im not angry, im realistic .

Airbus Jr

Banned
Umm I’m sorry did you read that? We are going to rehabilitate criminals with this game? Im not angry, im realistic .

So what?

Game can be used for educational purposes

We haven't know anything about this game potential it could be anything we can't imagine

Airbus Jr

Banned

That’s enough crazy for me tonight. Just when I think I’ve seen it all.,...

You really need to take a nap and some chill pills in case you got agitated dude

Should be helpful to reduce your temper tantrum

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
You really need to take a nap and some chill pills in case you got agitated dude

Should be helpful to reduce your temper tantrum

That’s the fun part, I’m not even angry or upset. There is no temper tantrum, but some of you read it that way, so I run with it.

I really don’t give a fuck in the end. All the systems are successful enough that they don’t need me or you cheerleading them. I’m not invested in only one ecosystem, and I just like poking bears.

I literally give 0 shits, it if you want to talk a game like it’ll end everything bad ever, I’ll call you out on it.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
This thing has been in development for so long that you can ask yourself how long people are going to play it when PS5 is ever coming closer to the corner.

I absolutely adore Dreams, but i feel a lot of its potential will be untapped due to it being released this late in the console cycle.

Airbus Jr

Banned
That’s the fun part, I’m not even angry or upset. There is no temper tantrum, but some of you read it that way, so I run with it.

I really don’t give a fuck in the end. All the systems are successful enough that they don’t need me or you cheerleading them. I’m not invested in only one ecosystem, and I just like poking bears.

I literally give 0 shits, it if you want to talk a game like it’ll end everything bad ever, I’ll call you out on it.

I can tell you you're clearly upset about something here in this page

You comments here has demonstrate your feeling

In the words of Prince Vegeta your butthurt meters is like "It's over 9000 !!!!

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
This thing has been in development for so long that you can ask yourself how long people are going to play it when PS5 is ever coming closer to the corner.

I absolutely adore Dreams, but i feel a lot of its potential will be untapped due to it being released this late in the console cycle.
It'll be ported. If they ported LBP3 they'll port this and in an interview MM said that if there was a PS5, they'd port it.

Kagey K

Banned
I can tell you you're clearly upset about something here in this page

You comments here has demonstrate your feeling

In the words of Prince Vegeta your butthurt meters is like "It's over 9000 !!!!
Thank you.

That was the best laugh I’ve had tonight. Tell me more about me.

I assume you are licensed and will accept my Visa

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Hopefully, this technology doesn't fall into the wrong hands, who knows the quantity and size of phallic shaped objects one could create with such a programme.

INC

Gold Member
VR side is what interests me the most

Can I make MP games? So could make a FPS game for VR?

FranXico

Hopefully, this technology doesn't fall into the wrong hands, who knows the quantity and size of phallic shaped objects one could create with such a programme.
I give it two hours after release, phallic objects creation will get streamed.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I give it two hours after release, phallic objects creation will get streamed.
Anything less of a planetary extinction isn't going to stop that. I guess people will at least have to keep it unpublished officially, though because it'll get taken down by the mods.

This is the YouTube/Twitch stream generation. Gamers nowadays are much bigger exhibitionists than they were a decade ago.

On that fact alone, I can see this being a more successful "game maker" than LBP ever was.

sublimit

Banned
That's all very nice and impressive but the real question is will creators be able to sell their creations? Otherwise professionals will keep using Unreal or Unity and Dreams will be regarded as an impressive tool for hobbyists and amateurs regardless of how good their creations will be.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

I know people tend to overhype games sometimes, but this is some next level shit. You're literally expecting this game to solve the world's problems.

No pressure Media Molecule.

This makes the pre-launch hype for No Man's Sky look tame.

Last edited:
If you're not creative, then you will not fully appreciate Dreams.
I'm creative, but time is a very precious resource, they should at least allow means of monetization such as use of monero donation addresses in the projects.

Taking hours or days working on something, a passion project, may be good for the spirit, but it also competes with all other activities. We are in a world inundated by content of ever greater quality, and time always seems to not be enough.

To be honest what happened with bowsette, that's the kind of thing I like seeing, someone gives a concept and 1000s of artists generate brand new art of excellent quality.

thelastword

Banned
Finally an article that explains what Dreams is, people didn't know or some pretended they didn't when many morsels was dropped about the game, if you were genuinely interested in knowing what it is..........I find people are always so quick to ask what a game is, if it is multi-tiered or there's a level of depth or engagement, then they ask, what is it?......They think all games should be qucikly categorized as a shooter or fighter.....

Ohh what do you do in this game? You blow stuff up, ohh! ok...They get that, anything multi-tiered or more involved, they struggle with the concept, we like to define things so much.........When LBP came along there was nothing like it on consoles, Dreams seems to take the whole LBP formula to another stratosphere in terms of ambition and thank Heavens they had a publisher like Sony that gave them the time and financial backing and who believed in this project, because few publishers will back something like dreams, which is not another BR game or whatever gun popping craze exists or is popular at the time......

Creativity and genius takes time to materialize and pollenate.........I'm happy Sony realized the ambition of the project but believed in the guys who made the critically acclaimed LBP series so gave them the time and space needed.....I'm sure over the years, they had some tough times indevelopment and some hurdles, but greatness is not realized in immediacy.....It must be a joy for these devs to finally see some fruit after years of painstaking toil......I look at some of the work done only from the demo/beta and it's already so impressive what people have cooked up in a few days, farless for when they deep dive.......

I will do my part and support dreams on the ambition and concept alone, this is not an ordinary game. It's a platform and I hope to play many creations on PS4 and PS5......I hope Dreams gets as big as Roblox and even moreso for Sony, because the tools given here are really really impressive.....

Finally an article that explains what Dreams is, people didn't know or some pretended they didn't when many morsels was dropped about the game, if you were genuinely interested in knowing what it is..........I find people are always so quick to ask what a game is, if it is multi-tiered or there's a level of depth or engagement, then they ask, what is it?......They think all games should be qucikly categorized as a shooter or fighter.....

Ohh what do you do in this game? You blow stuff up, ohh! ok...They get that, anything multi-tiered or more involved, they struggle with the concept, we like to define things so much.........When LBP came along there was nothing like it on consoles, Dreams seems to take the whole LBP formula to another stratosphere in terms of ambition and thank Heavens they had a publisher like Sony that gave them the time and financial backing and who believed in this project, because few publishers will back something like dreams, which is not another BR game or whatever gun popping craze exists or is popular at the time......

Creativity and genius takes time to materialize and pollenate.........I'm happy Sony realized the ambition of the project but believed in the guys who made the critically acclaimed LBP series so gave them the time and space needed.....I'm sure over the years, they had some tough times indevelopment and some hurdles, but greatness is not realized in immediacy.....It must be a joy for these devs to finally see some fruit after years of painstaking toil......I look at some of the work done only from the demo/beta and it's already so impressive what people have cooked up in a few days, farless for when they deep dive.......

I will do my part and support dreams on the ambition and concept alone, this is not an ordinary game. It's a platform and I hope to play many creations on PS4 and PS5......I hope Dreams gets as big as Roblox and even moreso for Sony, because the tools given here are really really impressive.....

/thread.

The most genuinely wholesome comment I've seen in this forum in a long time. Those who opposed it are truly cynical and completely shit on the potential that art and crafting art possesses when it comes to changing perspectives and, dare I say, lives.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If this was an MS exclusive it would have been cancelled a good while ago. I have no personal interest in the game but kudos to Sony for sticking to their guns in supporting their first party devs no matter how crazy or eccentric.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Everyone just chill down and please dont troll for fun.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

But this also isn't true at all! Why do people keep thinking Dreams is only a developer suite for artists? There's a normal single player campaign that comes with it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
But this also isn't true at all! Why do people keep thinking Dreams is only a developer suite for artists? There's a normal single player campaign that comes with it.

Interestingly you've also neglected a huge part which is the games the community make can be ... er ... 'played'. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom