• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Put It In Your MAU-th: Pork Loin leading PS4/Xbone in NA

That is the big unknown is how many Pro's sold during the launch period. I personally think a PS4 Standard/Slim vs. All the Xbox One Models, the Xbox One trounces the PS4/Slim in sales. But the Pro though can be the thing that swings things in Sony's direction. Just walking around on BF I did not see many Pro's being bought, but that is just in a small area where I live. I think the Pro sold a ton during launch week and can be the thing that balances or puts Sony over the top.

Yep I'm still leaning on Sony taking the month due to Pro. That had to account for a couple 100k worth of sales, and if BF itself was close that could be the difference maker.

Hawk269

Personally I don't think either Sony or MS broke any records this BF. I could be wrong on that for sure but it looks to me like 2015 may have been peak numbers in terms of Holiday for this gen. But we'll see

I think the peak will be next year where both the PS4/Xbox One S will be $199.99 or under. Breaking into the sub-$200.00 price point has always been critical and a ton of sales will come next year when these two consoles are under $200.00.

I expect One S to be higher than either the Slim or the Pro on their own but combined the PS4 platforms lead. We moved a fuckload of all the consoles yesterday (except Wii U).

This is still - by far - the most likely outcome for both BF and November. And December.

Madness

Nah, 4K UHD support is a niche feature and Sony were better off for not including it. I know at least 7 people (real life and online) who bought a 4K set yesterday and picked up an Xbox One S because of the price and 4K blu-ray support. They may never touch a Gears or Halo or ever buy an Xbox before, but they bought one solely for that. Every person who said Sony was smart to keep costs down blah blah, streaming is the future seems to have forgotten what DVD and Blu-ray support did for PS2 and PS3. You can buy a Sony 4K television, have a Sony 4k console, but will need a Microsoft console to play a Sony developed 4K blu-ray format. Such a misstep and gave tons and tons of sales for their competitors.

WW

You know BF is a new thing outside US... of course the first years will be record breaking.
You didn't mention WW in your post.

About MS PR they always say "best seller" or "record breaking" when they know they won the BF.

That possible means they are close or lost.

You just said record breaking. It is alright though. I don't want to go on and on about it. :p

Nah, 4K UHD support is a niche feature and Sony were better off for not including it. I know at least 7 people (real life and online) who bought a 4K set yesterday and picked up an Xbox One S because of the price and 4K blu-ray support. They may never touch a Gears or Halo or ever buy an Xbox before, but they bought one solely for that. Every person who said Sony was smart to keep costs down blah blah, streaming is the future seems to have forgotten what DVD and Blu-ray support did for PS2 and PS3. You can buy a Sony 4K television, have a Sony 4k console, but will need a Microsoft console to play a Sony developed 4K blu-ray format. Such a misstep and gave tons and tons of sales for their competitors.
You're saying that as if Sony got blown out the water lol. Both of the consoles have sold well.

"tons and tons" of nothing.

Sonys lead is to big to worry about MS winning (I doubt won Nov by a big margin) No way to catch Sony.

This isn't strictly true in terms of the US market but I get where you are coming from. I don't think Xbone will ever take the US back either but it's not impossible if they had a full years worth of strong sales. Gap is around 1.5 million I believe

This is a US thread... I did not say anything about WW in any of my posts.
Okay.

It is clear what you said but we can move on.

:)

This isn't strictly true in terms of the US market but I get where you are coming from. I don't think Xbone will ever take the US back either but it's not impossible if they had a full years worth of strong sales. Gap is around 1.5 million I believe
I think that would require PS4 slowing down too and I don't really see that happening. Not for a full year anyway.

Hawk269

I disagree. I think MS takes the US at some point. I just think the product they have is more aggressive as far as features than what Sony has to offer. PS4/Pro is the best gaming platform just on specs alone, but the Xbox One S has a superior overall package with everything it does, the design and the bundles they offer.

Scorpio imho will help them even more (dependent on price) as it will do what the PS4 Pro does but better in every way and MS will not be shy telling consumers that. The way MS has been marketing the "S" the inclusion of UHD Player/4k Streaming/HDR is a great package for what they are asking for it and the Scorpio will have all that and the gaming muscle aspect as well.

World Wide it is Sony's no question, but I can see MS taking the US at some point and perhaps some other areas. The great thing is we all WIN because a pissed off MS and pissed off Sony fighting for the consumer spending is a great win for the consumer.

I think that would require PS4 slowing down too and I don't really see that happening. Not for a full year anyway.

Oh I agree but frankly the gap isn't all that large in NA. Keep in mind this gen still likely has at least 2-3 years left in the pipe. If MS was able to maintain momentum with the S and Scorpio was a big hit its not impossible for them to still come out on top domestic.

Again I expect Playstation to hold the lead but it's not an impossible task (unlike global which is indeed totally over and has been for a while)

Madness

You're saying that as if Sony got blown out the water lol. Both of the consoles have sold well.

"tons and tons" of nothing.

I am saying that as Xbox has won the last 4 months and has still maintained great sales it seems in a month where PS4 Pro should easily have been king or a super low PS4 Slim price. I honestly believe a large number of Xbox One S are being purchased solely as a 4K UHD player. There weren't some new games this year that made it a must buy over last year, prices weren't ridiculously low. It is that people see the value added of a $229 or $249 UHD player that will have tons of updates and support well after the cheaper Samsung and Philips lose support as they focus on new models that comes with and also plays games.

Loudninja

I disagree. I think MS takes the US at some point. I just think the product they have is more aggressive as far as features than what Sony has to offer. PS4/Pro is the best gaming platform just on specs alone, but the Xbox One S has a superior overall package with everything it does, the design and the bundles they offer.

Scorpio imho will help them even more (dependent on price) as it will do what the PS4 Pro does but better in every way and MS will not be shy telling consumers that. The way MS has been marketing the "S" the inclusion of UHD Player/4k Streaming/HDR is a great package for what they are asking for it and the Scorpio will have all that and the gaming muscle aspect as well.

World Wide it is Sony's no question, but I can see MS taking the US at some point and perhaps some other areas. The great thing is we all WIN because a pissed off MS and pissed off Sony fighting for the consumer spending is a great win for the consumer.
I dont get this.

I assume you think the PS4 will just slow down to a halt in the US.

gtj1092

I am saying that as Xbox has won the last 4 months and has still maintained great sales it seems in a month where PS4 Pro should easily have been king or a super low PS4 Slim price. I honestly believe a large number of Xbox One S are being purchased solely as a 4K UHD player. There weren't some new games this year that made it a must buy over last year, prices weren't ridiculously low. It is that people see the value added of a $229 or $249 UHD player that will have tons of updates and support well after the cheaper Samsung and Philips lose support as they focus on new models that comes with and also plays games.

Your theory kind of falls apart when you consider x1 sales aren't drastically up and that lots of X1 sales are the old model being highly discounted. Beating ps4 in sales doesn't mean X1 is selling ton. It seems more that ps4 sales are down while X1 sales are flat.

My own anecdotal evidence points to either there being more supply this year or sales being down because there are still a bunch of x1s, slims and pros on shelves as I ventured out to bestbuy and target today.

Oh I agree but frankly the gap isn't all that large in NA. Keep in mind this gen still likely has at least 2-3 years left in the pipe. If MS was able to maintain momentum with the S and Scorpio was a big hit its not impossible for them to still come out on top domestic.

Again I expect Playstation to hold the lead but it's not an impossible task (unlike global which is indeed totally over and has been for a while)
I don't know, consider how big the gaps have been between the two this gen. We rarely get ~100K+ gaps. I just don't think it is possible for Xbox to come back in US unless some drastic changes happen that make it possible for those bigger gaps to occur on a monthly basis. The Xbox exploding in popularity or the PS4 collapsing, for example, could make that possible.

I am saying that as Xbox has won the last 4 months and has still maintained great sales it seems in a month where PS4 Pro should easily have been king or a super low PS4 Slim price.
I don't understand. Consoles generally sell very well during the holidays. Why would PS4 Pro and PS Slim negate any momentum Xbox had going in its strongest territory? Why does it have to be either/or? They can both have great sales without it meaning what you're suggesting.

Still no numbers right?
Nah, we won't get numbers until NPD next month.

Sonys lead is to big to worry about MS winning (I doubt won Nov by a big margin) No way to catch Sony.

If one is "worried" about one plastic box selling more than another plastic box without some kind of bonus or salary depending on it...

These discussions just go in circles. There's no data yet, anecdotal says both consoles did well during BF.

Hawk269

I dont get this.

I assume you think the PS4 will just slow down to a halt in the US.

It does not require that the PS4 all of a sudden stop selling for the Xbox One to win the U.S. It takes a substantial sales advantage over a course of time for the Xbox to take the lead in the U.S. What many here forget is that the amount of units sold during the holidays is equal or greater than the sales of rest of the year. If MS can make a substantial sales advantage during Holiday 2016 they can make a serious dent and then continue the same momentum they have had over the last 4 months into 2017 it is possible.

Not surprised, 4K is more marketable than 720p - 900p games on the Xbox One.

Microsoft is smart for mentioning 4K even if it is for bluray movies or streaming.

Microsoft has had better bundles too.

Unknown?

In the end it's all about software. Having more features didn't help the OG Xbox or PS3 win the US market.

Vena

Personally I don't think either Sony or MS broke any records this BF. I could be wrong on that for sure but it looks to me like 2015 may have been peak numbers in terms of Holiday for this gen. But we'll see

Not the best of signs for this gen...

I don't know, consider how big the gaps have been between the two this gen. We rarely get ~100K+ gaps. I just don't think it is possible for Xbox to come back in US unless some drastic changes happen that make it possible for those bigger gaps to occur on a monthly basis. The Xbox exploding in popularity or the PS4 collapsing, for example, could make that possible.

It's unlikely for sure. Essentially if MS kept the current pace they've been outselling the PS4 for the last 4 months over the course of the next year they could close that gap by an excess of 500k. Then you just have to ask what sort of difference Scorpio could bring. Could it be a huge success?

Likely these things will not happen but it's a worthy discussion unlike global which there is literally nothing to talk about. I think Xbox taking US isn't gonna happen in the long run but I do think this gen finishing very close with possibly just a 1 million gap between them is doable. The last 4 months alone saw Xbox closing the gap by 250k

How so? Last year was massive even in the general context of console holidays. Not surpassing it would be fine.

It's unlikely for sure. Essentially if MS kept the current pace they've been outselling the PS4 for the last 4 months over the course of the next year they could close that gap by an excess of 500k. Then you just have to ask what sort of difference Scorpio could bring. Could it be a huge success?

Likely these things will not happen but it's a worthy discussion unlike global which there is literally nothing to talk about. I think Xbox taking US isn't gonna happen in the long run but I do think this gen finishing very close with possibly just a 1 million gap between them is doable. The last 4 months alone saw Xbox closing the gap by 250k
Mm, I see what you're saying.

3rd holidayof a cycle is generally the peak (2015). Peaking this year would have been nice, but there's no reason to say "not the best sign" if It doesn't happen.

If Switch doesn't come with a power adapter... that will be "not the best of signs".

Vena

You'd also have to consider if the PS4 will continue to slow down (and how much the Pro props up sales) while the X1S continues to show its unexpected legs into the next year (and how much the Scorpio affects sales later). Remember, Sony started the year off up YoY and then all of that slipped away through the mid-year and into late and the Slim came out with a loud thud. X1 went the other way around, starting off down pretty badly YoY and then recovering strongly on the back of the X1S launch.

If Switch doesn't come with a power adapter... that will be "not the best of signs".

USB-C?

Also, does launch year count as a holiday season? I was considering it the launch and seeing this as the third year (and after the mid-gen price drops).

3rd holidayof a cycle is generally the peak (2015). Peaking this year would have been nice, but there's no reason to say "not the best sign" if It doesn't happen.

Switch should give an up next year over this year, yeah? If anything, the Switch not coming in with a big holiday next year would be worth looking into.

Switch should give an up next year over this year, yeah? If anything, the Switch not coming in with a big holiday next year would be worth looking into.

Well, with Switch and Scorpio, along with further adoption/promotion of One S and Pro/Slim, if next year isn't bigger that means something went sideways.

My take is this BF? Doesn't matter to the market. Seems like it went okay overall. It's fine.

I still think Switch will have a meaningful impact to the industry one way or the other? If it's a hit, it means mass market could come back to dedicated gaming hw, and we will see more dev investment in family friendly/kid titles. If it isn't a hit, stick a fork in HH and family development for console, maybe forever.

Well, with Switch and Scorpio, along with further adoption/promotion of One S and Pro/Slim, if next year isn't bigger that means something went sideways.

My take is this BF? Doesn't matter to the market. Seems like it went okay overall. It's fine.

I still think Switch will have a meaningful impact to the industry one way or the other? If it's a hit, it means mass market could come back to dedicated gaming hw, and we will see more dev investment in family friendly/kid titles. If it isn't a hit, stick a fork in HH and family development for console, maybe forever.

I think we already that point where it's time to stick a fork in HH and family development for console .
So unless it's a hit things going to be the same .

Welfare

There is no disconnection.

He is trying to spin 360 togheter to say that XB1 has more chance to take this November because how it "performs" better on Holidays when in fact Sony won 2 holidays vs 1 MS since this gen launch.
Damn, just put words in my posts.

I haven't commented in this thread once on who I think will sell more and it certainly wouldn't be because of the Xbox 360's performance in 2013. I didn't realize saying that PlayStation family didn't win until 2015 would mean I think Xbox One will win 2016.

There was a widespread belief that the PS4 Pro would help Sony crush Microsoft in November.
No, we'd all get downplayed by "I never said Sony would take November" despite people saying Sony would take November.
Settle down, I'm merely pointing out how everyone was like "Pro is November, Sony gonna walk it", and everyone was ya ya tru tru.
Now you're making it seem like everyone thought MS was gonna take it?
No surprising.
It's pretty much most of what I've seen the past 3 months. "Wait until the Pro comes out"
That's what I read and why should be renamed "move goalposts"
I don't think it's specific users that are being called out, just the general consensus that's been floating around on GAF for months.
I still predict that Sony has it in the bag but not many have chimed in saying the same when the last few NPDs were bubbling with a sure Sony victory because of the Pro.
Tell that to the numerous people in previous months NPD threads saying November is when Sony is going to take back the top spot.

I hope someone does a wall of shame compilation post.
I'm not sure this is the wall of shame you were asking for, but here you go. I just compiled every November prediction in the October NPD thread. Here's what "GAF" had to say (I counted unique users):

Code:
Xbox will win November          6
It will be close either way     7
PS4 will win November           6

The belief that the consensus was an easy November win for PS4 is completely wrong.

So you dont have to be concern about MS losing couple of millions on console sale when they make big bucks on their ecosystem as whole.
"Couple of millions" is understating the case. The 2014 holidays alone cost Microsoft over $500m in lost revenue. This year, they're predicting the division to be down $1.3b from last year (though unlike 2014, some of this will be due to their phone business).

HDR 4K bluray player? Get an Xbox one S.

It is a killer feature, Sony f**ked up nor having it in the pro or slim.

The deals in the UK were insane, if I had the money I would have got the S.

Microsoft has had a great first party line up this fall, and deserved to win NDP over Sony. Will he interesting to see how Black Friday and The Pro release has altered things.

Still can't believe it, £199 for ps4 or Xbox OneS in some stores yet WiiU just sitting at £250...
If you only wanted a 4k Blu-ray player and had no interest in XB1 exclusives, you could've gotten Samsung's for $199. Or Philips' for $180 before Black Friday.

Top Bottom