• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Put It In Your MAU-th: Pork Loin leading PS4/Xbone in NA

There are still people who care about console sales three years into the gen. I'm proud of your dedication to maintaining a sizeable E-Dick. ;-;

I still expect Sony will take November because they have new hardware that released. Even if th final margin is small, they SHOULD win.

If Microsoft takes it, then yeah, those few people that predicted Microsoft will take every month leading into Scorpio are probably right. Fire sale or not, people have to WANT something to buy it. So despite the clearance pricing, people obviously WANT an Xbox One or they wouldn't be buying them.

Simply whittling the thesis of your (not you) post down to "fire sales" is being way too simplistic and basically, ignorant. Just because a kettle is being cleared in a fire sale, it doesn't mean I'm going to buy one if I don't want one.

That's not necessarily true. Especially for holiday shopping. Holidays are price sensitive and most people buying around this time period are the mass market which are more prone to price sensitivity then others.

It's the reason the XB1 absolutely destroyed the PS4 in holidays in 2014 (before XB1S and 4K playback).

It is, I suspect, also the reason for a larger decline of many first party MS titles. They've opted to build the US base off of price sensitive holiday customers which won't exaclty be your typical Xbox IP fans.

There are still people who care about console sales three years into the gen. I'm proud of your dedication to maintaining a sizeable E-Dick. ;-;

You're so cool. Where can I buy some of that edge?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Lol so you told them to get the least kid friendly console of the bunch? A lot of places had Ratchet & Clank for free with the PS4. Not to mention Minecraft is also on it along with a lot of other kid friendly games from years past(LBP3, Tearaway, DQ Builders, etc)

What's so kid unfriendly about the Xbox?

Outside the PlayRoom which is secretly the best Kid (under 10) game out there, they're basically on par in terms of their kid friendly libraries. If anything, backwards compatibility gives Microsoft the edge thanks to the back catalogue of 360 kid games. Viva Piñata alone gives to to the Xbox.

The only thing I was calling out were all the posters that downplayed prior month NPD wins by claiming the market was waiting for the Pro and that November, assuredly, is "when the king would return". Obviously there are rational posters in both camps, I wasn't referring to them.
So your stance is that we should "call out" and "shame" anyone that has predicted a PS4 win in November, even though we don't yet know if they were wrong? That sounds like a you problem, not a GAF problem.

Alternately, if you think we should wait until we're sure they were wrong, and then make them feel bad about themselves...well, that's a bullshit stance and one reason why public discussion on the internet is often insufferable.

I assume you're referring to the sales predictions? Which are resoundingly is Sony's favour. Almost everyone outside a handful are expecting Sony to take November.
Completely wrong. I posted data that showed a totally even split in predictions.

Kathian

Banned
They've been performing better for months by having the cheaper machine.

Sony I feel are going to not have a disaster of a Christmas but certainly one that will pale compared to previous years. They just seem really unfocused.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
That's not necessarily true. Especially for holiday shopping. Holidays are price sensitive and most people buying around this time period are the mass market which are more prone to price sensitivity then others.

It's the reason the XB1 absolutely destroyed the PS4 in holidays in 2014 (before XB1S and 4K playback).

It is, I suspect, also the reason for a larger decline of many first party MS titles. They've opted to build the US base off of price sensitive holiday customers which won't exaclty be your typical Xbox IP fans.

You're so cool. Where can I buy some of that edge?

Yeah but one on, the dollar differences we're talking about are in the $50 to $100 range. If someone wants a PS4 over an Xbox One, they're not going to buy a console they don't want simply because of price.

The people buying Xbox Ones now are buying them because they want one. Not simply because they're cheap.

I predicted 2m Pro sold in US this year but I'm really thinking Sony won't ship that much.

I doubt they'd sell that even if they shipped enough but have read reports of lots of stock. Numbers for Pro seem well well short of typical past slim revisions and new consoles. I'd expect Pro to be in the hundreds of thousands or long shot of low 1 million rather than the millions.

Unknown?

What's so kid unfriendly about the Xbox?

Outside the PlayRoom which is secretly the best Kid (under 10) game out there, they're basically on par in terms of their kid friendly libraries. If anything, backwards compatibility gives Microsoft the edge thanks to the back catalogue of 360 kid games. Viva Piñata alone gives to to the Xbox.
Uh no... Xbox doesn't have as many kid friendly games at all. Lol I didn't say it was completely unfriendly, I said it was the least of the two.

Yeah but one on, the dollar differences we're talking about are in the $50 to $100 range. If someone wants a PS4 over an Xbox One, they're not going to buy a console they don't want simply because of price.

The people buying Xbox Ones now are buying them because they want one. Not simply because they're cheap.

I think it's a mixture of both. Both the value and cost at there, which is what's propelling it. We'll find out soon though.

January onwards is where the test is. If the PS4 goes back to winning those months, then it's all about the price.

jelly

It's interesting how Microsoft seems to have scooped Playstation on the 4K advantage, almost by accident. They've got one new SKU on shelves, pushing it as the best 4K media device (which it is) - and that seems to have been enough to outsell the PS4 Pro. A console explicitly built for '4K gaming'.

I'm curious what the Scorpio does to this dynamic. On paper, it's offering a bigger jump in features than the PS4->Pro. VR support, native 4K, high processing power, etc. All as launch XBox ONE/PS4 buyers may be looking to upgrade their TVs. But this month's NPD might indicate that consumers aren't buying into the mid-grade console upgrade pattern.

I think Sony was just too early. Scorpio will be that next gen well maybe eventually device rather than an obvious mid gen upgrade so the power/feature set will be a lot more enticing and hypetastic. I know Microsoft won't say it but it will be. There will be a much bigger price gap with Xbox One S and they won't be launching two new consoles like Sony just did. No crossing swords.

I basically see it as Sony sticking to generations and Microsoft doing the same but seamlessly transitioning with Scorpio being powerful enough to make the step up to next gen games when Xbox One/S gets dumped and becomes the cheaper entry point whereas PS4/Pro gets left behind and Sony have an expensive PS5 to push only with Microsoft still having a successor to Scorpio to leap ahead with up their sleeve.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Uh no... Xbox doesn't have as many kid friendly games at all. Lol I didn't say it was completely unfriendly, I said it was the least of the two.

Maybe we have differing ideas on what "kid friendly" means?

Either way though, when you include BC, I'd say they're at the very least the same. I mean, some of the games you listed aren't kid friendly, they're just kiddy in appearance.

Little Big planet has never been a kid friendly game, unless you're referring to the platforming then it's questionable. The only truly kid friendly games are on Nintendo consoles if we're being honest. Most of the kid friendly games on Sony and Microsoft platforms are third party games like the Lego ones.

His data come from predictions...

The AZ claim didn't use prediction but instead "tone" I guess.

Predictions from the wrong thread though.

I doubt they'd sell that even if they shipped enough but have read reports of lots of stock. Numbers for Pro seem well well short of typical past slim revisions and new consoles. I'd expect Pro to be in the hundreds of thousands or long shot of low 1 million rather than the millions.

If we go by what Sony wants to ship they don't expect that much Pro .
Also the pro can't be comapre to slim or other past revisions since they come with a price drop.
The Pro right now is $150 more without a good bundle it would be lucky to account for even 20 to 30% of Nov and Dec sales.

blakep267

Lol so you told them to get the least kid friendly console of the bunch? A lot of places had Ratchet & Clank for free with the PS4. Not to mention Minecraft is also on it along with a lot of other kid friendly games from years past(LBP3, Tearaway, DQ Builders, etc)
The Xbox was $20 cheaper at Costco with an included kid friendly game. Also the Xbox has just as many kid games as the PS4.

If you aren't aware of the kid friendly games, fine but don't act like they don't exist.

Welfare

So many people confident that PS4 will win November and no one is taking my bet :/

When XB1 wins November, I'm rubbing it in everyone's faces! 😆
I am starting to lean an Xbox win in November. The slim only doing 130k in October really made me question its selling power, and now I only expect the Pro to do 500k, if that. I will solidify my choice if we get more concrete info and potential PR next week.

And what is the bet?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
His data come from predictions...

The AZ claim didn't use prediction but instead "tone" I guess.

I went through only the first 2 pages of the PR thread and the actual predictions were about 14 to 3 in Sony's favour. That's just the first 2 pages. That's what Greg was referring to and he was right. The sentiment amongst most GAFfers (including myself even in that thread) is that Sony SHOULD take November because of the Pro.

I am starting to lean an Xbox win in November. The slim only doing 130k in October really made me question its selling power, and now I only expect the Pro to do 500k, if that. I will solidify my choice if we get more concrete info and potential PR next week.

And what is the bet?

I dunno, just for fun. So probably some sort of avatar one. I feel like people are so confident in a PS4 win that this is the low hanging fruit bet that peeps should jump on :p

I think the natural November boost and the $50 cut will greatly aid Slim. It'll be a repeat of October 2015 going into November 2015. Well, not necessarily the same amount of overall increase but a sizable boost either way.

2thepoint

Xbox Statement on Black Friday - ''There was strong demand for Xbox hardware, accessories, games and Xbox Live engagement on Black Friday, based on initial results, with a strong start to the holiday season.''

Very flat statement and no record breaking as per last year.

Hmmm.

AZ Greg

So your stance is that we should "call out" and "shame" anyone that has predicted a PS4 win in November, even though we don't yet know if they were wrong?

Am I being that hard to understand? I apologize if so. But I never said call out anyone that predicted a PS4 win. Like you said, we still don't know. And, if forced, I'd probably still predict a PS4 win as well.

My issue, from the start, has been with the posters who were not just predicting certain month wins, but shitting up any sales thread claiming that those results were expected and meaningless as everyone was waiting for the Pro. And that November would be a for sure win for Sony, without even factoring in MS' normally strong holiday strategies. And again, even if that's a fair prediction, it shouldn't have been so confidently on display and used to downplay the past months.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Xbox Statement on Black Friday - ''There was strong demand for Xbox hardware, accessories, games and Xbox Live engagement on Black Friday, based on initial results, with a strong start to the holiday season.''

Very flat statement and no record breaking as per last year.

Hmmm.

Could be right. But isn't it too soon for them to have a real idea?

If we go by what Sony wants to ship they don't expect that much Pro .
Also the pro can't be comapre to slim or other past revisions since they come with a price drop.
The Pro right now is $150 more without a good bundle it would be lucky to account for even 20 to 30% of Nov and Dec sales.

I wouldn't compare them. I was replaying to a 2 million in two months US prediction and said this so not sure why you're telling me what I've just said. When the main consoles sell about 1.2-1.5 for each month, selling 1 million per month of Pro is way out there in the typical new console/revisions numbers thinking. I'm thinking hundreds of thousands as per my post you quoted so probably a similar percentage.

You should be quoting ethomaz, honestly. Preaching to the choir here.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I could be wrong, I just think the pro is a mistake. It doesn't do enough extra to get the average consumer interested, and the lack of Blu-ray 4k drive is a big time mistake. The slim was beat hard by the s when msft included that drive. I think Sony will start gaining momentum back next year with some of their bigger releases, but I expect npd to be swept by msft for the next few months.

I could be wrong, I just think the pro is a mistake. It doesn't do enough extra to get the average consumer interested, and the lack of Blu-ray 4k drive is a big time mistake. The slim was beat hard by the s when msft included that drive. I think Sony will start gaining momentum back next year with some of their bigger releases, but I expect npd to be swept by msft for the next few months.
I just don't think that drive stuff matters enough to make a difference. Will it have swayed some purchases? Sure. Enough to cause a "sweep"? I don't think so. Price parity is what will keep things mostly even between the two.

We'll see though.

I'm just really interested in how the Pro does. Like would 400k pros be enough to close the gap between the PS4 slim and Xbox one S? I can't see the pro doing a ton more than that( I also don't really care about it's Amazon rank)

400k would be a shockingly large number of sell through to consumers imo for the month, and if that were to happen it would be an easy and large win for the month of November for Sony.

Edit - actually thinking about it more, and seeing what Pro launched at in Japan, 400k may indeed be doable but still that's the high end. 250k-300k is the safe bet imo

Unknown?

What I find even more amazing is that amidst the sea of discounted games shooting to the top on Amazon that FFXV is holding its own and staying up with all those discounts at full price.

ethomaz

Banned
Predictions from the wrong thread though.
Well he used the Prediction thread... the others posts are not prediction at all... there are comments with what he says "strong tone against XB1".

PS. I don't agree with what I wrote inside """

I went through only the first 2 pages of the PR thread and the actual predictions were about 14 to 3 in Sony's favour. That's just the first 2 pages. That's what Greg was referring to and he was right. The sentiment amongst most GAFfers (including myself even in that thread) is that Sony SHOULD take November because of the Pro.
So they need to post that in the prediction thread.

I'm one that predicted PS4 will take Nov due Pro... it is in the prediction thread.

BTW it can be talking more about tone than prediction to be fair because none of his quotes are predictions.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I just don't think that drive stuff matters enough to make a difference. Will it have swayed some purchases? Sure. Enough to cause a "sweep"? I don't think so. Price parity is what will keep things mostly even between the two.

We'll see though.

I thought and still kind of think the same thing, although I do think there truly is some demand starting to drive up, if not just a little bit, for 4k media players. That set of people would likely lean Xbox especially on bf with the 150 price disparity not to mention bundles.

Another thing I'd be interested in seeing is sku differences. I think the price difference right now is likely the driving force behind Sony's slump here (and a better lineup the past few months). With the pro I think effectively Sony is the perceived pricier of the 2 despite the slim existing.

RexNovis

Banned
Relying solely on an Uncharted 4 slim bundle was for Black Friday was a monumentally dumb decision and will almost certainly cost them November.

Miles X

Black Friday isn't even over yet, nobody has 'won' it!

What did MS and Sony do last year? Surely it's down from the 360 heydays.

I can't remember, but wasn't the last bf the UC:C?
Yep, it was only the Uncharted Collection and it performed well. Uncharted isn't going to cost them. Keeping it at $299 would have cost them.

Edit - Well, there were CoD and Battlefront bundles but they were priced higher.

RexNovis

Banned
I can't remember, but wasn't the last bf the UC:C?

I believe they also had a family oriented bundle and Battlefront not just UCC. Perhaps I'm wrong? Even still though, the competition was much stiffer this year. They desperately needed a more compelling bundle offering for mass appeal this holiday and they just stuck to the same one they've had for months now. Bad decision IMO

pixelation

Huh? NPD threads for the last 4 months have been "Everyone is waiting for Pro". Almost everyone is expecting Sony to take November. Including myself.

If Microsoft somehow manages to take November, then the worm has officially turned in the US. It's the norm, no longer an exception.

If that happens then what?, worldwide the victor of this gen is set already and he ain't leaving the throne.

Unknown?

I believe they also had a family oriented bundle and Battlefront not just UCC. Perhaps I'm wrong? Even still though, the competition was much stiffer this year. They desperately needed a more compelling bundle offering for mass appeal this holiday and they just stuck to the same one they've had for months now. Bad decision IMO

That family oriented one was limited to Walmart I believe and battlefront was not $299 like Uncharted, it was $349. The Uncharted bundle was by far the best selling PS4 on Black Friday last year. UC4 was not dumb especially when it's the highest rated game this year.

This year's deals are arguably better. You get a current gen game instead of remasters. You also get deals on top of the $50 discount like gift cards or free games. Last year they only had a $50 drop and no other incentives.

Boke1879

Eh I think with a month like this. Price is the deciding factor. I don't think they are desperate for anything since they are more than likely hitting their margins revenue wise, and with the price being $250 that does most of the leg work.

Not to mention if you bought on at Gamestop or Best Buy you could get TLOUR and Ratchet with the system.

The only bundle offering Mass appeal is the Minecraft bundle and I'll say the Gears Bundle will handily outsell that. If anyone wants a console this Holiday they are going to get one.

I'm not sure sure having many different bundles makes that much difference. Price imo remains king.

Top Bottom