• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putting rice in a burrito is like putting pineapple on pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is like how people in my town put french fries on their pizza.

Mixing bread and potato??? What the fuck???

Speaking of which.

8KruLSi.jpg

jonnyp

I think the most shocking thing about the OP is that he thinks burritos and pizzas are the best food in the world. That's just scary.

Ledbetter

This thread makes me more upset than it should. Burritos are good both with and without rice.

Yes, I don't have a problem if a burrito has rice or not. And I've always thought burritos were more of an American or tex-mex food than Mexican food, because in this part of Mexico we don't tend to eat burritos.

Leynos

I am going to have to side with Bread - rice in burritos, and pineapple on pizza are travesties, but for different reasons. Rice is innocuous, and flavorless, but is used as a worthless filler/binder. Pineapple, while delicious, completely overwhelms the other flavors, and has absolutely no place on a pizza, excepting, of course, you are making a dessert pizza.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I don't think I've had a burrito without rice, other than breakfast ones and i live in LA.
Also, pineapple, jalapeños, and bacon is the GOAT pizza.

Rice in burrito was popularized by mission style burritos. Which also makes if inferior to San Diego style burritos. SD style burritos also use tortillas made with lard and the meat is cooked to order, not in some assembly line bullshit.

It ruins a great meal.

Rice is a filler food and it has no place in the second greatest food of all-time (behind pizza), burritos.

Tell me why you disgrace such a heavenly food with this crap?

DSC01033.jpg
So restaurants can charge you and arm and a leg for its SIZE. It's FILLER. It's cheap. It's so a restaurant can put in a bite or two at most of the most expensive ingredient - meat.

Rice should always be on the side, with beans. That filler doesn't belong inside a burrito next to glorious meat, cheeses and sour cream.

PG2G

Need a little bit of rice and beans to help absorb some of the delicious carnitas juices. I can only see going rice less if you're dealing with dry meat.

Sulik2

I've never had a burrito that didn't have rice in it. I even put it in my own when I make them at home. OP is crazy, rice is delicious in a burrito.

Sethista

rice is the cement of meals, it brings all other elements together.

Burrito is the perfect delivery system for rice.

Euron

No that's like making a pizza without crust. Sure it isn't a highlight but it's a fucking staple of the meal.

what?

Pretty much every single culture in the world uses rice as a filler food.

Rice alongside other startchy foods aren't filler they are essential. One of the easiest ways to get nutrition, a good source of protein, fibre, and a range of B vitamins. If they aren't in your diet then your diet is lacking.

213372bu

Banned
Rice alongside other startchy foods aren't filler they are essential. One of the easiest ways to get nutrition, a good source of protein, fibre, and a range of B vitamins. If they aren't in your diet then your diet is lacking.

But that was the point of my post.

Most cultures have rice as a filler food because it's healthy and filling.

Whether it's served with meat, beans, bread, curry etc. rice is used as a filler.

bengraven

Agreed with op. This is why TB charges a buck for their "five layer burrito" which is this massive fucking monstrosity that's basically a dab of sour cream and cheese and a shit ton of rice and beans - pure profit nearly and they fill people up even though they are mostly tasteless.

That said , GOOD rice in small amounts are different.

People say rice makes a burrito? What? There is an awesome Mexican place near me and the burritos have zero rice inside just the meat (and some veggies depending on what you order), which is the way it should be in my opinion. Rice and beans are the sides.

josh924

Banned
actually mexico is pretty fat because they drink soda like it's water.

That's a Mexican thing? There was a Mexican guy living in our house about 7 years ago and he would go through 2-liter bottles of Coke a day. I think he even tried to argue that it was healthier to drink Coke than it was to drink water. I thought it was just him, though.

My parents and grandparents were poor. You know what my dad ate? Tortillas slathered with juice and tinny bits of charcoaled meat from the taco stand outside his school. You know what my grand mother would make me when food ran low? A rolled tortilla with sour cream and salt inside. Rice would have been a huge step up.

Oh you were a fresa boy. My mom fried tortillas and we ate them with salt, nothing else

Nothing happier than an air burrito ^_^

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
A burrito isn't traditional, so fuck off with calling it that.

And yes, tacos with Mexican sour cream and salt is delicious.

What about tacos al pastor. Real tacos al pastor, I mean. Which is just Pork Tenderloin in al pastor marinade served with a slice of pineapple. Those are bangin.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
So restaurants can charge you and arm and a leg for its SIZE. It's FILLER. It's cheap. It's so a restaurant can put in a bite or two at most of the most expensive ingredient - meat.

Rice should always be on the side, with beans. That filler doesn't belong inside a burrito next to glorious meat, cheeses and sour cream.

Preach it brother, spread the Truth.

PG2G

If I wanted the rice and beans on the side I wouldn't get a carnitas burrito, I'd get a carnitas plate. A burrito I'd about all ingredients coming together in harmony, not stuffing as much meat as you can in a wrap.

I am going to have to side with Bread - rice in burritos, and pineapple on pizza are travesties, but for different reasons. Rice is innocuous, and flavorless, but is used as a worthless filler/binder. Pineapple, while delicious, completely overwhelms the other flavors, and has absolutely no place on a pizza, excepting, of course, you are making a dessert pizza.

I agree with this. But then I know I'm in that weird minority that didn't like rice in burritos. There's just something about Mexican rice that makes my taste buds go "Ewww no get it away!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom