• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putting rice in a burrito is like putting pineapple on pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

Rice works because it lets all the flavors combine well together. Otherwise youre just eating mouthfuls of meat and vegetables

studyguy

Rice is just filler here. I get why it's in a burrito though.

Traditionally I've only ever had rice in a burrito if I've eaten out at some place.
At home with my entire Mexican family no matter where it is, who is cooking it, how it's prepared. Rice is always on the side. Period. Most of my burritos at home don't look like something out of chipotle though, that's just an invention of fast food.

KingKong

You know whats been my jam lately though, sushi burritos. Its basically just a big sushi roll but its so refreshing

348s.jpg

mattp

Well, at least nobody is so insane to put pineapple into burrito.

ever have tacos al pastor?
im sure thatd be great in a burrito

edit: also hawaiian pizza is a crime against humanity. and rice in burritos is delicious

First of all, as a Mexican, Burritos offend me. The region that I'm from doesn't have these abominations.

Second, OP, you are crazy son! Seek immediate attention now. You insulted my favorite topping on a pizza. I could have let it slide the crazy idea that rice ruins burritos, but you took it way too damn far. Apologize BISH

Mossybrew

Gold Member
A burrito I'd about all ingredients coming together in harmony, not stuffing as much meat as you can in a wrap.

I'd agree with you there, the dispute is that rice has no part in that harmony. Meat, pico, guacamole, cheese, sour cream. There's no room for rice and beans in this party.

I really need to get back down to SD to get a proper carne asada burrito. Carne asada fries too. It's like Mexican Food Mecca down there, a taco shop on practically every corner.

People talk like the rice in a burrito adds no flavor. If that's the case then you're doing it wrong. The rice should be loaded with cilantro and lime.

ReAxion

There's burrito without rice?

This and all the posts like it are so sad to me.

That's a Mexican thing? There was a Mexican guy living in our house about 7 years ago and he would go through 2-liter bottles of Coke a day. I think he even tried to argue that it was healthier to drink Coke than it was to drink water. I thought it was just him, though.

I heard it's a water quality thing.

pgtl_10

I can't stand traditionalists especially with food. I want people to be creative. There is no one standard way of making or eating a dish.

SpecX

Whatever, I love me some cilantro lime rice in my burrito. I only hate when they pack more rice than anything else in there and still charge a premium price.

Bread

Banned
50% of the people in this thread hate pineapple on pizza
50% of the people in this thread hate rice in burritos

i ran the numbers through this machine over here and i found that it makes me 100% correct.

This thread makes me more upset than it should. Burritos are good both with and without rice.

This can't possibly be a thing.

Edit: Apparently that's a thing.

Pastrami burritos are a beautiful thing. You get some pastrami, pickles, mustard, some cabbage.....absolutely amazing.

I've been trying to figure this out for years, but what marks the difference between a wrap and a burrito?

For me it is this: A burrito is a self contained meal that is Mexican inspired. A warm tortilla that is preferably corn based rather than flour, a layer of rice, then sauteed onions, maybe mushrooms or roasted peppers, a serving of frijoles, a chilli based sauce with slow cooked veg or meat, lettuce, salsa (I usually do two pico de gallo then something with a a bit of a kick), cactus, jalapeños, and spicy sauce, guacamole, I don't do the dairy but sour cream and cheese. Then tucked and wrapped into a burrito which is almost bursting, if the server cuts it then they need a slap. A wrap is a sandwich that uses a tortilla.

PG2G

I'd agree with you there, the dispute is that rice has no part in that harmony. Meat, pico, guacamole, cheese, sour cream. There's no room for rice and beans in this party.

I really need to get back down to SD to get a proper carne asada burrito. Carne asada fries too. It's like Mexican Food Mecca down there, a taco shop on practically every corner.

I'm glad none of the places I go to ruin my burrito with cheese, guacamole, or sour cream :p

Carne Asada fries are amazing though. I'm happy to have found a place in LA that does a decent job at it

LakeEarth

I love rice in a burrito.
I love pineapple on pizza.
I've never tried it, but I bet I'd like pineapple in a burrito.

Therefore, I'm the devil.

televator

I go to Colima often when I'm in Mexico. There's a place that serves burritos. You know what they look like? A double sized egg roll filled with your choice of meat and potato. HOW DARE THEY SERVE ME SUCH UNAUTHENTIC FOOD.

I love rice in a burrito.
I love pineapple on pizza.
I've never tried it, but I bet I'd like pineapple in a burrito.

Therefore, I'm the devil.

Lol, I eat tacos al pastor that have bits of pineapple in them. Lucifer be my name.

Philia

I feel weird eating rice in a flour tortilla. Both are carbs. A better analogy is like eating two slices of bread instead of one.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
So restaurants can charge you and arm and a leg for its SIZE. It's FILLER. It's cheap. It's so a restaurant can put in a bite or two at most of the most expensive ingredient - meat.

Rice should always be on the side, with beans. That filler doesn't belong inside a burrito next to glorious meat, cheeses and sour cream.

^This man knows food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom