• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quakecon 2009 August 13-16

4aabd433.png

DALLAS – August 7, 2009 – On Thursday, August 13th, at 9:00am, the doors to the world’s greatest LAN party will swing open and thousands of videogame fans will gather at the Gaylord Texan Hotel in Dallas, Texas to enjoy 75 hours of jam-packed fun and excitement. With events happening 24-hours-a-day, attendees will have their choice of watching top professional players pushing their skills and opponents’ nerves to the limits in a battle for a $50,000 prize purse, participating in one-of-a-kind attendee contests, keeping up with the latest in videogame software and hardware development at the Main Stage presentations, or vying for a coveted ticket to win a 540 horsepower Shelby GT500. More than 6,000 people are expected to attend QuakeCon 2009 from August 13 –16. QuakeCon is free and open to the public.

In addition to hosting daily exhibits, North America’s largest LAN party, and professional gaming broadcasts from the coverage lounge, QuakeCon 2009 event highlights include the first public demonstrations of RAGE and Brink, the id Software press conference, John Carmack’s keynote address, a talk by Todd Howard and of course, the QUAKE LIVE Tournament Finals. A complete schedule of events is listed below.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 13:
12:00pm – 1:00pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
Ventrilo Ultimate Power-up Contest, Shelby GT500 Unveiling

Come see the unveiling of the 2010 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 Coupe to be given away in the Ventrilo Ultimate Power Up Sweepstakes. Two names will be drawn to receive the first two of only 100 prized tickets.

1:00pm – 2:00pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
Alienware Quick Draw

Everyone receives a raffle ticket when they register for QuakeCon. During scheduled Alienware Quick Draw drawings throughout the show, two names will be drawn to play a QUAKE LIVE match against each other on the Exhibitor Event Stage, with the winner taking home $1,000. Players must be present at the time of drawing in order to participate.

2:30pm – 3:30pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
What Would You Do?

Just how far would you go to win that new video card you’ve been wanting, or maybe even one of the one hundred coveted Ultimate Power Up tickets? Our famous, “What Would You Do?” contests challenge people to answer that very question. This is your chance to get crazy, show your fellow attendees how dedicated you are, and win cool prizes in the process.

3:30pm – Main Stage
id Software Press Conference

id Software welcomes thousands of attendees to QuakeCon 2009 and offers exclusive insight into the studio’s latest development projects and exciting announcements.

4:00pm – Main Stage
John Carmack Keynote

John Carmack, technical director of id Software, offers his annual keynote address and audience Q&A, with topics ranging from the state of graphics hardware and the development of idTech5, to his ventures into rocket science.

6:30pm – 7:30pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
Alienware Quick Draw

FRIDAY, AUGUST 14
10:30am – 11:30am – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
Alienware Quick Draw

11:30am – 12:00pm – Main Stage
Fatal1ty Presentation

Supercharge your gaming experience using Sound, Memory and PSUs. Creative and OCZ will be doing a dialog skit explaining the importance of sound in gaming to create an immersive experience (ex; MKII Silencer Headset, Creative Labs) and how memory improves gaming, load speed/frame rates/fluid game play and how the right PSUs allow you to power the right components (OCZ memory cards and PSUs). In addition, a raffling for dozens of great prizes provided by partners as well as Fatal1ty t-shirts, dog tags and otherfun prizes

12:00pm – 1:00pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
What Would You Do?

1:00pm – 2:00pm – Main Stage
Brink™ First Public Demonstration

Previously shown only to media and behind closed doors, Splash Damage CEO and game director, Paul Wedgwood, will offer the first public, live gameplay demonstration of the highly anticipated first-person shooter from Bethesda Softworks and Splash Damage, Brink along with a Q&A.

2:00pm – 3:00pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
Alienware Quick Draw

2:00pm – 5:00pm – Longhorn Hall C
Crucial Dodgeball Tournament Day 1

The wild-and-crazy crew at Crucial is attending QuakeCon to host their now-famous “Crucial Dodgeball Tournament” where teams of five will dodge, dip, duck and dive to win their share of thousands of dollars in Crucial Ballistix Tracer high-performance memory. Plus, to sweeten the deal, the first 500 signups will receive a newly released “Crucial Memory Hawg” T-shirt.

3:00pm – 4:00pm – Event Stage
Bethesda Game Studios’ Todd Howard

Todd Howard takes you behind the scenes and offers some insights into the game-making process at Bethesda Game Studios, creators of the 2006 Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion� and 2008 Game of the Year, Fallout� 3, and offers an audience Q&A.

4:00pm – 5:00pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
BAWLS Chugging Competition

If you think you have what it takes, be sure to join in on a QuakeCon tradition where daring attendees attempt to chug a can of Bawls as fast as possible. It’s all about bragging rights and winning one of those coveted Ultimate Power Up tickets.

5:00pm – 6:30pm – Main Stage
NVIDIA Presentation

Join NVIDIA as we look for the Superheroes of Quakecon - the ordinary mortals who can reveal their extraordinary powers and abilities. Relevant skills and the advanced equipment will be handsomely rewarded!

6:30pm – 7:30pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
Fatal1ty Challenge

Come try your luck against Jonathan Fatal1ty Wendel in a QUAKE 4 shootout challenge for fun. Fatal1ty products and swag to be given away!

7:00pm – 7:30pm – Main Stage
Escalation Studios’ Tom Mustaine

With discussion, insight, and Q&A, Escalation Studios owner, Tom Mustaine, provides the “411” on the development of DOOM Resurrection for the iPhone.

8:00pm – 9:00pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
Alienware Quick Draw

9:00pm – 11:00pm – Main Stage
Master Pancake Theater

A staple at Austin’s Alamo Drafthouse, and a QuakeCon tradition for nearly 10 years, Master Pancake Theater presents their own comedic twist on a night at the movies – QuakeCon style. Movie mockery has never been so much fun.

11:00pm – 1:00am – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
QuakeJam

QuakeCon attendees with real musical talent bring their instruments and take a turn jamming on the event stage.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 15
11:00am – 12:00pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
Alienware Quick Draw

12:00pm – 2:00pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
NASCAR’s Todd Bodine Meet & Greet

NASCAR Truck Series driver, Todd Bodine greets fans, and signs autographs and photos at this QuakeCon first. Plus, see his No. 30 Ventrilo Tundra.

12:00pm – 1:30pm – Main Stage
Hardware Workshop by PC Perspective

Hosting a revitalized hardware workshop at Quakecon 2009, PC Perspective (www.pcper.com) will take an in-depth look at the best current and future gaming hardware available. The workshop will include overclocking demonstrations, industry panelist debates, Q&A from the audience and of course, thousands of dollars in prizes for QuakeCon attendees.
Casemod Contest: Gamers will have the opportunity to enter their custom built and modified PC into the official QuakeCon 2009 Case Mod Contest for a chance to win thousands of dollars in prizes! Systems will be judged on technical and stylistic merit and the top three finalists will get a chance to show off their work on the main stage during the Hardware Workshop. Register your PC during your BYOC registration.

1:30 – 2:30 – Grapevine C
NVIDIA Technology Workshop

Ever wonder what is going on inside your Graphics card, or what goes on behind the screen at NVIDIA? Come see the latest NVIDIA technology and learn the details of how NVIDIA engineering teams are making gaming great. We will explore 3D Vision and SLI technology and explode myths behind physics processing in modern games. Prizes will reward the inquisitive or amusing audience participation!

2:00pm – 5:00pm – Longhorn Hall C
Crucial Dodgeball Tournament Day 2

2:30pm – 3:00pm – Main Stage
RAGE™ - First Public Demo

RAGE creative director, Tim Willits, and lead designer, Matt Hooper, drop the top on id Software’s revolutionary new game RAGE, with the first ever public demonstration of live gameplay.

3:00pm – 4:00pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
Fatal1ty Challenge

3:30pm – 4:00pm – Main Stage
Alienware Presentation

Alienware reveals the very latest on their top-of-the-line gaming products.

4:00pm – 5:00pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
Bawls Chugging Semifinals

4:00pm – 5:00pm – Grapevine C
NVIDIA Presents Case Modding with Modders-Inc

Sick of your boring PC case? Want to learn how you can do something about it? Join the expert modders of Modders-Inc. as they show you the advance case modding techniques they’ve used to make some of the world’s best case mods.

5:00pm – 6:00pm – Exhibit Hall Event Stage
Alienware Quick Draw

6:00pm – 9:00pm – Main Stage
QUAKE LIVE Tournament Finals

Watch the world’s best professional gamers go toe-to-toe in the exciting conclusion of the Intel Masters and Open Championship tournaments as well as the Capture the Flag Championships, all presented live on stage and over the Internet. $50,000 in cash will be awarded in this professional gaming slug-fest.

9:00pm – 9:30pm – Main Stage
Ventrilo Ultimate Power Up Contest Final Drawing

With 100 lucky QuakeCon attendees standing on stage - ticket in hand - we draw and announce the winner of the Ventrilo Ultimate Power Up Contest and new owner of a 2010 Shelby Cobra GT500 coupe!

9:30pm – 10:30 pm– Main Stage
KID BEYOND: Singer, beatboxer, live looper, songwriter, and one-man band, KID BEYOND will blow the roof off of the finals party with this unparalleled QuakeCon finals performance. SF Weekly calls KID BEYOND “Amazing.” Check out more at www.kidbeyond.com

About QuakeCon:
Often described as the “Woodstock of Gaming,” QuakeCon is a four-day, non-stop celebration of games and the people who play them. Free to all and open to the public, QuakeCon 2009 will feature North America’s largest Bring-Your-Own-Computer (BYOC) LAN party for nearly 3,000 people, drawings and contests for over $75,000 in cash and prizes, the $50,000 QUAKE LIVE Duel and Capture the Flag Championship tournaments, exhibits with the latest games and hardware, and non-stop entertainment, parties and events. First created in 1996 by a group of friends on IRC and now going into its fourteenth year, QuakeCon remains true to its original mission as an event created by gamers, for gamers. Sponsored by id Software and other industry-leading software and hardware manufacturers, QuakeCon continues to be run by a dedicated group of volunteers, including an executive team with more than 75 years of combined experience producing the event. 6,000 people attended QuakeCon 2008.

http://www.quakecon.org/

olore

Just when i was wondering "hmm isn`t QuakeCon right around this time of year?".

Bring the Carmack on!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
olore said:
Just when i was wondering "hmm isn`t QuakeCon right around this time of year?".

Bring the Carmack on!
Im totally stealing that phrase... :D

BRING THE CARMACK ON BITCHES!!

Not that pumped for this year, since I'm sure they'll be promoting Wolfenstein HARDCORE. I would really like to go next year if something amazing is out like Doom 4, or Quake 5.

red shoe paul said:
Not that pumped for this year, since I'm sure they'll be promoting Wolfenstein HARDCORE. I would really like to go next year if something amazing is out like Doom 4, or Quake 5.

Uh, Rage?

red shoe paul said:
Way to skip a full game.. called Rage.

red shoe paul said:

I'm sure they WONT be promoting wolfenstein hardcore. Especially since zenimax/bethesda will be there and they won't want to give activision any attention. I'm sure the game will be there, but at this point it's like an unwanted child neither parent wants to care for....

peakish

Everything besides seeing Brink and Rage demonstrated and the QL tournaments is a huge bonus as far as I'm concerned. These three events will be wonderful to follow.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I'm sure they WONT be promoting wolfenstein hardcore. Especially since zenimax/bethesda will be there and they won't want to give activision any attention. I'm sure the game will be there, but at this point it's like an unwanted child neither parent wants to care for....

Uh, zenimax/id still own the Wolfenstein property, why would they do that? They do not want to damage Wolfenstein any further then it already is.

EvilDick34 said:
Uh, zenimax/id still own the Wolfenstein property, why would they do that? They do not want to damage Wolfenstein any further then it already is.

They want this release to quietly die and then in a few years i'm sure they will reboot the IP. At least it seems that way...

ghst

thanks for the laugh
carmack is one of the most persistently interesting and candid free speakers in the industry.

My quakelive team is playing in the CTF tourney and a couple of teammates are doing the 1v1 tourney (masters tournament or something). Go Team Dynamic!:D

SuperEnemyCrab said:
They want this release to quietly die and then in a few years i'm sure they will reboot the IP. At least it seems that way...

I see your point about them letting it come out quietly and die quietly, but i still think it is a big mistake to hurt one of your earliest and most popular franchises.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TurtleSnatcher said:
Wish I could make this later this evening since I'm only like what.. 3 mins away from the Gaylord.. but work is eating me alive =[
Just tell to your boss that you want to see 'the' Carmack delivering. :)

PnCIa

ExtraKr1spy said:
ah there you go then.

cant wait for Doom 2. I played it when I was younger and sucked. now that I'm good at FPS I'll put it on the highest difficulty and see how it compares to something like CoD4 on veteran. In the end cyber demon heads are going to get cracked.
Doom 2 on Nightmare? You´re in for one hell of a ride ;D

Nizz

EvilDick34 said:
I am really excited to see some new Rage Footage, i have a good feeling about this game.
Same here. Just looking over the OP, I see that a Rage public showing/demo will be on Saturday. Feels like a long wait...

Nice job with the thread, maniac-kun!

RavenFox

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:
ah there you go then.

cant wait for Doom 2. I played it when I was younger and sucked. now that I'm good at FPS I'll put it on the highest difficulty and see how it compares to something like CoD4 on veteran. In the end cyber demon heads are going to get cracked.
Do you own a PC? Not hard to get and you can play with updated graphics if you like.
Great thread OP

Sciz

Shacknews said:
A whole new episode will be included, along with all of Doom 2's original content.
:O

DOOM 2 is already great, but more DOOM 2 is even better.

ExtraKr1spy said:
ah there you go then.

...is pretty close to impossible, especially if you don't quicksave.

RavenFox said:
Do you own a PC? Not hard to get and you can play with updated graphics if you like.
Great thread OP

yes but its on its last legs. 9800PRO machine from 2004 and while its still hanging in there it reboots every half an hour or so of gaming or an hour of internet use(less on shitty flash sites). probably gonna get a new PC soemtime after christmas though if i can.

RavenFox

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:
yes but its on its last legs. 9800PRO machine from 2004 and while its still hanging in there it reboots every half an hour or so of gaming or an hour of internet use(less on shitty flash sites). probably gonna get a new PC soemtime after christmas though if i can.
Gotcha. I build PC's in my spare time when Im not doing IT at my day job. Give me a budget and Ill put together a newegg cart for you if you like. :)

chris0701

Brink™ First Public Demonstration

I remember there was a rumor about "Brink is sooo awesome in e3 closed door presentation"

Hope we wouldn't feel depressed this week.:lol

RavenFox said:
Gotcha. I build PC's in my spare time when Im not doing IT at my day job. Give me a budget and Ill put together a newegg cart for you if you like. :)

I'm waiting to see what the next gen ATI and Nvidia(maybe even Intel) cards are gonna bring to the table. $120 last year got you an HD4850 hopefully that trend stays(which it likely will)

RavenFox

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:
I'm waiting to see what the next gen ATI and Nvidia(maybe even Intel) cards are gonna bring to the table. $120 last year got you an HD4850 hopefully that trend stays(which it likely will)
Sounds good and my offer to help still stands :)

Rctdaemon

I'm sold on Doom 2 XBLA already, but what of this new episode? Are they talking about another full 32-level wad or just a few new levels?

Also of note: RAGE!

Nizz

Jason's Ultimatum said:
So we won't get any footage today? :(
I hope something is shown today. Maybe a trailer? But after seeing trailers the last two E3's and QuakeCons, I'm ready to see some gameplay.

Fersis said:
Just tell to your boss that you want to see 'the' Carmack delivering. :)
I could easily do that seeing where I work but I'd just dig myself in more of a hole in regards to stuff to do over the next few weeks.

Unfortunately August is one of the busiest months for me :(

Top Bottom