• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

That looks alot better, can read the text on the lever

Btw if you have an nvidia card, and can find and exe can you try to force some aa options from the nvidia panel and see if that makes a difference?

If its not too much trouble that is. If you cant thanks for these anyway.

How the fuck do people still defend UWP when every single MS release has had issues explicitly with UWP that was called out at one point or another by the people against it prior to release.

dsk1210

I had planned on picking this up today, but not at that price and with the performance and image quality. Fuck. :-(

nynt9

Ok, can someone link me to a thread explaining how to DSR so that I can play this game without it looking like blurry garbage?
assuming my 2x980 will be able to handle it

Trup1aya

Well, yeah, for a PC version of some Fruit Ninja title this UWP thing may be ideal but this is hardly what we all mean when we're talking about PC gaming, isn't it? MS is going off a flawed idea that you can produce a hardcore AAA game which will be equally enjoyable on all platforms spectrum without any platform specific customizations - while I struggle to think of any successful examples here. UWP may be a good thing for indies (even though I question the rationale behind this as arguably indies are better off with Steam as a platform on PC in any case) but for big AAA games the whole premise of the "universal app" idea is flawed.

Like I said, all of the example we have were games developed for consoles, then ported to PC. Seems like an inefficient development path for something you expect to take full advantage of multiple hardware configurations.

I don't think the MS' concept of UWP suggests that there shouldn't be any hardware specific considerations made by the developer, just that are potentially fewer such considerations to be made when all of the hardware the game is targeted at is running Windows 10.

I don't think you and I disagree that currently, the universal app idea is failing for big games. But I'll reserve judgment for the concept as a whole when we actually see some games designed to be multiplat from the start.

Hopefully, they for all the other issues (SLI, Vsync, etc) with the platform figured out by this holiday season.

BluWacky

Okay, proper Master Race people, laugh and laugh and laugh.

So I was trying to play this on:

i7 4770k @ 3.5ghz
8 GB RAM
GTX 770 2gb

Fine, it's not super high end like everything people seem to have on here, and I haven't overclocked anything, but I can play things like the recent AssCreeds or Witcher 3 at 60fps in 1080p with lots of settings on high/ultra.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. Quantum Break laughs in the face of this setup.

The first bad sign was when all the graphics settings defaulted to "low". DO NOT TRY AND PLAY QUANTUM BREAK ON LOW SETTINGS. I have no understanding at all of most of the Digital Foundry stuff that "proper" PC gamers go on about so I can't tell you about anti-aliasing or ambient occlusion or whatever the hell those things are - I can tell you that at sub-HD resolution and with everything turned to low it looks like Vagrant Story with better character models. It would, however, run at something like 60fps (I would love to record footage or something like that, but... the Geforce Experience's footage recording thingy crashed the game when I tried to use it).

Basically I seem to be able to cope somewhere between "low" and "medium" pre-settings. I have no idea which is the magic combination of things to use to make the game look as attractive as possible in a crappy situation, but basically it's going to be worse than the Xbox version. I shan't bother until I've sighed, pulled out my credit card, and worked out which bit to upgrade first...

Fardeen

UWP just sucks man, same as windows store, no refund policy, no overlays, no mods,

i say lets boycott this game until its released on steam

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Okay, proper Master Race people, laugh and laugh and laugh.

So I was trying to play this on:

i7 4770k @ 3.5ghz
8 GB RAM
GTX 770 2gb

I shan't bother until I've sighed, pulled out my credit card, and worked out which bit to upgrade first...

The 770 is your bottleneck. 2gb cards are not cutting it anymore.

Froz3n

Nice to see the real purpose of DX12 and UWP from Microsoft: using it as a wrapper to port Xbox One games more quickly to sell for big bucks on their locked-down store. RIP gaming.

Yep, that looks a lot better.

I think it is reconstructing from a lower resolution image. Look at the hair...

or this (1:1 pixel map from that image):
pixelstep0auds.png

pixelstep29iukd.png

If not, I am not sure what is happening. But some edges look way chunkier than they should... hair especially.

neilka

FWIW, I'm finding it playable at 1440p/Ultra on a Titan X, putting it up to 2160p/Ultra moves it into unplayable territory though. At 1080p/Ultra it feels like it's getting close to 60fps but as others have noticed, it looks to be rendering at a significantly lower resolution than 1080p.

GHG

The 770 is your bottleneck. 2gb cards are not cutting it anymore.

This bit, I can tell you right now.

Even 4 GBs of VRAM is getting a hard time these days.

Even on low settings at 1080p? That can't be right.

Normally people with 2gb cards will be ok if they turn the settings down (especially textures) and stick to 1080p and below. We all know that 2gb cards are not ideal for this generation but it's not like he's trying to max the game out.

Thank you for this, so whatever resolution it's reconstructing things from is almost certainly based on the resolution you play the game at. A DSR of 1.5X should get you something closer to native. Hopefully they address this in game, but it's good to know that the internal resolution the game is reconstructing from isn't locked to 720p.

beeswax

The 'smoothness' setting applies just the same way. The end result is identical. It's just annoying having to change your desktop resolution before and after.

If you have DSR setto on in NVCP, you can DSR your desktop in the resolution area of NVCP. It then applies the gaussian down sample you are used to / what it is set to.

It is different than custom resolutions.

Gotcha, thanks guys, I thought that the replies to DSR not working were saying to use Custom Resolutions, I didn't realise you can leave DSR on and just apply a DSR res to your desktop.

rashbeep

Banned

If not, I am not sure what is happening. But some edges look way chunkier than they should... hair especially.

Think you're right

RexNovis

Banned
So basically in order to get the game to render at native resolution you have to trick it into running at 1.5x native resolution? Well that's ... weird... Why?

dr_rus

Looks much better.

So, not upscaled. Good to know at least.

It is upscaled but the upscaling is performed by a MSAAed aware reconstruction shader which takes the additional MSAA subsample information into account when performing the upscaling. This is basically a higher quality version of upscaling.

These 4K images are being upscaled to 4K from some 2560x1440 + MSAA 4x render target probably. So obviously they'll be better than 1080p shots which are being upscaled from 720p but they're still not native res rendering.

GHG

pixelstep0auds.png

pixelstep29iukd.png

Yeh on a second look the hair is the big giveaway. So it seems the internal resolution is % locked to whatever resolution you set the game to be.

low 20s I would say on a single 980ti on maxed settings, not a demanding scene.

Uh oh...

Gotcha, thanks guys, I thought that the replies to DSR not working were saying to use Custom Resolutions, I didn't realise you can leave DSR on and just apply a DSR res to your desktop.

No worries, there's a lot of FUD around UWAs because they're pretty terrible. People blame them for just about everything and claim they can't do things that they can regularly. I mean, there are major issues with them all the same, like I said... but I'm sick and tired of telling people gsync works with them for example, because the claim it doesn't refuses to go away.

They're bad. But people make out they're worse, and seem to blame every issue any PC game that's a UWA has on it being a UWA.

I love Remedy, but they're on the hook for not letting us disable this lower than native reconstruction thing if indeed that's the case. If turning off AA disables it and gives you native (albeit with aliasing), I'm going to laugh so hard.

So basically in order to get the game to render at native resolution you have to trick it into running at 1.5x native resolution? Well that's ... weird... Why?

It's not going to be truly native, whatever you do, because there's always going to be upscaling, even if you then downscale afterwards.

Kezen

Banned

Because the game engine uses reconstruction by default. The resolution is merely the final output in this case, not the actual native resolution like in pretty much any PC games.

GHG

No worries, there's a lot of FUD around UWAs because they're pretty terrible. People blame them for just about everything and claim they can't do things that they can regularly. I mean, there are major issues with them all the same, like I said... but I'm sick and tired of telling people gsync works with them for example, because the claim it doesn't refuses to go away.

They're bad. But people make out they're worse, and seem to blame every issue any PC game that's a UWA has on it being a UWA.

I love Remedy, but they're on the hook for not letting us disable this lower than native reconstruction thing if indeed that's the case. If turning off AA disables it and gives you native (albeit with aliasing), I'm going to laugh so hard.

Why? Because then we wouldn't be able to inject our own AA solution and would be left with a jaggy shimmering mess?

Trup1aya

Sounds like it's always using temporal reconstruction. So whatever resolution you choose, the game "acheives" it but reconstructing lower resolution frames.

So you gotta pick something higher than what you want the games native resolution to be.

When you are choosing resolution, you are essential choosing the final output, not the native res... Not sure why they don't set the menu to reflect native res, even if the temporal reconstruction was mandatory.

Yeah, hair is the most distracting and noticable thing.

I'm probably fine with the 1440p IQ overall, but not the hair. :/

Well, it's on 4K. And judging from the system requirements, the game is indeed demanding.

So we're kinda stuck with DSR for better IQ but we won't be able to achieve 60fps with that on.

hwalker84

How the fuck do people still defend UWP when every single MS release has had issues explicitly with UWP that was called out at one point or another by the people against it prior to release.

What did KI's issues have to do with UWP? Probably their best and most competent release to date.

Why? Because then we wouldn't be able to inject our own AA solution and would be left with a jaggy shimmering mess?

Because who ever would think enabling AA would make the game run at sub native resolution? I've already talked about this being a prime candidate for a Durante esque mod if UWA didn't make it impossible.

But if Remedy implemented an AA technique that ran the game at sub native resolution... and didn't do anything to clearly label it, that would be hilarious.

All speculation until we see AA off though.

It is upscaled but the upscaling is performed by a MSAAed aware reconstruction shader which takes the additional MSAA subsample information into account when performing the upscaling. This is basically a higher quality version of upscaling.

These 4K images are being upscaled to 4K from some 2560x1440 + MSAA 4x render target probably. So obviously they'll be better than 1080p shots which are being upscaled from 720p but they're still not native res rendering.

Yeah, what I meant was "upscaled from 720p", as some poster suggested, which I should have quoted.

GHG

Yeah, hair is the most distracting and noticable thing.

I'm probably fine with the 1440p IQ overall, but not the hair. :/

Well, it's on 4K. And judging from the system requirements, the game is indeed demanding.

So we're kinda stuck with DSR for better IQ but we won't be able to achieve 60fps with that on.

It doesn't even appear to be native 4K though. Those are the only images that appear to be acceptable IQ wise (for me) but wouldn't be playable.

shandy706

(Snip)

It can have to do with lighting/reflections I think. Rise of the Tomb Raider got a patch for it. I don't remember the details.

sertopico

around 20 I would say on a single 980ti on maxed settings, not a demanding scene.

I would like to know a way to monitor fps on UWP

Ouch, that's almost unplayable then. I also have a 980ti with 6700k, thought i could get something better than this. At 2k looks too blurry though.

Maybe you can, apparently you could with killer instinct. As killer instinct has an exe and from the nvidia panel you could select aa options.

Maybe it will work in this?

Top Bottom