• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

dr_rus

YERb.jpg

So what's left on the list of fixes needed for QB?
- Lights are still bleeding through the PC when he obstruct them for a second or so.
- No anisotropic filtering control and lack of such filtering even on Ultra preset.
- Fps counter would be nice as DXTory have issues with QB for some reason and other tools don't (and won't probably) support UWP.
- Shit performance on NV cards.

How did you get it to download? Still stuck at the eternal spinning wheel

I just checked for updates and it was there. It's probably dependent on where you are on the planet.

It's disappointing that it took nearly a month to receive such a minor patch. I think that it's clear that Microsoft is not devoting many resources to fixing this game. I don't have much hope that it's ever going to run at an acceptable level on PC.

tioslash

So what's left on the list of fixes needed for QB?
- Lights are still bleeding through the PC when he obstruct them for a second or so.
- No anisotropic filtering control and lack of such filtering even on Ultra preset.
- Fps counter would be nice as DXTory have issues with QB for some reason and other tools don't (and won't probably) support UWP.
- Shit performance on NV cards.

Plus stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5p0hJgYR9M

I know it is nothing game breaking, but it sure is a ridiculous graphical glitch. It also happens with other props like Jack´s earpiece.

This is probably a longshot given how new the hardware is (+ nVidia's Founders Edition BS), but if anyone has a Pascal GPU, I'm very interested to hear how it performs with this game.

dr_rus

This is probably a longshot given how new the hardware is (+ nVidia's Founders Edition BS), but if anyone has a Pascal GPU, I'm very interested to hear how it performs with this game.

Roll back a couple of pages, there are several benchmarks on GTX1080 already posted.

b0bbyJ03

has anyone with Gsync given any impressions yet? I'm still holding off on this game even tho I really want to play it. It doesn't need it to be perfect or run at ultra but I do require smooth performance for anything I buy. Can't handle stuttering.

Plus stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5p0hJgYR9M

I know it is nothing game breaking, but it sure is a ridiculous graphical glitch. It also happens with other props like Jack´s earpiece.

Certain lights going through characters and objects is something inherent in the rendering, so that wont change. Its not something that ruins the game.

As for the the instances of the earpiece and mobile phone floating on certain machines, it's not game breaking, its not a priority. Perfomance is.

It's disappointing that it took nearly a month to receive such a minor patch. I think that it's clear that Microsoft is not devoting many resources to fixing this game. I don't have much hope that it's ever going to run at an acceptable level on PC.

There is a team at Remedy working on QB constantly. It took as many years to make the game, so fixes wont happen in days. Things that might seem simple, rarely are when it comes to engineering. But yeah, faster would be nice, we know.

MaLDo

There is a team at Remedy working on QB constantly. It took as many years to make the game, so fixes wont happen in days. Things that might seem simple, rarely are when it comes to engineering. But yeah, faster would be nice, we know.

If so many things were broken and it's obvious to you that they could not be solved quickly, which is obvious to me it is that the game was not ready to be released on pc.

GHG

If so many things were broken and it's obvious to you that they could not be solved quickly, which is obvious to me it is that the game was not ready to be released on pc.

I don't think they were the ones who put the deadline in place... I refuse to blame Remedy for this mess since they have been so good for so long. I'm sure even if they asked to delay the game they would have been told no.

MaLDo

I don't think they were the ones who put the deadline in place... I refuse to blame Remedy for this mess since they have been so good for so long. I'm sure even if they asked to delay the game they would have been told no.

If you read carefully my post you will see that I have not pointed to any guilty :p

dr_rus

Certain lights going through characters and objects is something inherent in the rendering, so that wont change. Its not something that ruins the game.

As for the the instances of the earpiece and mobile phone floating on certain machines, it's not game breaking, its not a priority. Perfomance is.

Well, both these issues are certainly ruin immersion for me. The lights bleeding issue is almost always there since there's almost always some light sources to obstruct.

Nice to hear that you're working on performance though. Game's performance on NV cards is simply below acceptable levels.

What's more disappointing and unnecessary in this situation is the long certification process of the patches on the Windows Store. This simply cannot be a thing, if big titles are being distributed through the Store. It's absolutely frustrating and nothing a user or dev can do about.

tioslash

Fair enough. And what about the issue with a weird stuttering others and I reported on the forums? More specifically on this thread:

http://community.remedygames.com/fo...indows-10-help-issues/262952-stuttering-mouse

Is that something being looked into?

It was again mentioned by another user yesterday:

At any rate, Remedy. With my gtx 970 and 4690k, the game is still stuttering. A stupid workaround I found is opening and closing the menu quickly a few times, and the stutter would go away. But it returns randomly, forcing me to do the "workaround" again. Needles to say my hardware and software are fine, drivers are updated etc. and other games work fine etc. Please look into that as it makes the game unplayable, and if such a stupid workaround fixes the problem for me, I'm sure you can fix it altogether.

dLMN8R

What's more disappointing and unnecessary in this situation is the long certification process of the patches on the Windows Store. This simply cannot be a thing, if big titles are being distributed through the Store. It's absolutely frustrating and nothing a user or dev can do about.

I think you're assuming the existing certification processes are far more lengthy and taxing than they actually are. Sometimes, things simply take time. Sometimes when a patch is ready for release new issues are discovered at the last minute and it resets the team's own test schedules.

Bug fixes aren't and never have been some easy thing that you can release instantly right after you fix it. There's a reason why this meme exists:

99-bugs-in-the-code-500x292.jpg

I'm not speaking for Remedy here, but talking generally for all software development. Forza Apex and Killer Instinct have had pretty frequent updates, which would seem to go against what you think is necessary for releases on the Store.

That's not to speak unkindly of Remedy at all, but simply that things can be dramatically different for different developers working on different types of games with different engines.

JaggedSac

So what do you think the number of days for patch cert is?

Vitor711

Well, both these issues are certainly ruin immersion for me. The lights bleeding issue is almost always there since there's almost always some light sources to obstruct.

Nice to hear that you're working on performance though. Game's performance on NV cards is simply below acceptable levels.

The earpiece glitch is ridiculous and absolutely ruins immersion. I can get the game at a locked High/Medium at 1440p at 30FPS on a 980. It looks fantastic. Until the ghost earpiece starts ruining every single cutscene or dialogue sequence.

It also happens to be directly in the middle of the screen since the character is only slightly off-centre. Such a bizarre bug.

has anyone with Gsync given any impressions yet? I'm still holding off on this game even tho I really want to play it. It doesn't need it to be perfect or run at ultra but I do require smooth performance for anything I buy. Can't handle stuttering.

I ran a few minutes today on my gSync monitor (144hz) and while before at 1440p it would run at 1 fps, finally today it ran well and was playable. There was an option to turn vsync off finally. I'll probably play this weekend.

Visuals still look kinda ehhh, like someone smeared vaseline over parts of the screen, but its playable. My GPU (970) stayed at 75c so no heating issues. Unfortunately without any way to show an FPS counter (I am not gonna install third party apps) I have no idea what kind of frame rate I am getting but I did a couple of quick turns and pans up and down and no issues with sudden stuttering, but I'll post again when I get at least 30% in the game. It took me a few minutes to even figure out I must have the latest version, 1.7.0.0, since there isn't any way I can tell in the windows store to see your update history (must have auto downloaded).

Kinda crazy to think its been what, like 2 months since the game launched and now I can finally play? Glad I only paid $15 for my key.

dr_rus

I think you're assuming the existing certification processes are far more lengthy and taxing than they actually are. Sometimes, things simply take time. Sometimes when a patch is ready for release new issues are discovered at the last minute and it resets the team's own test schedules.

Bug fixes aren't and never have been some easy thing that you can release instantly right after you fix it. There's a reason why this meme exists:

99-bugs-in-the-code-500x292.jpg

I'm not speaking for Remedy here, but talking generally for all software development. Forza Apex and Killer Instinct have had pretty frequent updates, which would seem to go against what you think is necessary for releases on the Store.

That's not to speak unkindly of Remedy at all, but simply that things can be dramatically different for different developers working on different types of games with different engines.

Certification is a pipeline, you can submit patches for certification before previously submitted ones will be released. If there are no stopping issues you'll get the "pretty frequent updates" on the end of that pipeline.

The real issue is that there's no need for any kind of certification on PC, especially for third party releases.

Vuze

Windows Store is haunted, I'm telling you.
Booted up PC this morning, Windows Store started downloading the patch. Had to leave, so I turned off my PC before the patch was finished. Got home, the download was stuck. Couldn't pause it or actually resume it, so I canceled it.
Now I'm back to the status of yesterday with the eternal spinning wheel when searching for updates... (even after several reboots)

The fuck is so hard about providing a working update solution for a standalone software in 2016

Certification is a pipeline, you can submit patches for certification before previously submitted ones will be released. If there are no stopping issues you'll get the "pretty frequent updates" on the end of that pipeline.

The real issue is that there's no need for any kind of certification on PC, especially for third party releases.

That's why I said it's frustrating for big titles like this.

The only direct comparison we have is the Steam and Windows Store version of Rise of the Tomb Raider and depending on the patch it took either few days or more than a week for the same patch to hit the Windows Store, after it's already been released on Steam. e: The third RotTR patch was available on Stream 3 days before patch 2 went live on the Windows Store.

I just don't see why it's necessary.

dLMN8R

That's why I said it's frustrating for big titles like this.

The only direct comparison we have is the Steam and Windows Store version of Rise of the Tomb Raider and depending on the patch it took either few days or more than a week for the same patch to hit the Windows Store, after it's already been released on Steam. e: The third RotTR patch was available on Stream 3 days before patch 2 went live on the Windows Store.

I just don't see why it's necessary.

And that could just as easily be because of differences between Win32 and UWA, not because of a certification process.

Win32 vs. UWA is another conversation entirely, but it's just as relevant of a datapoint as a certification process is.

wazoo

Unfortunately without any way to show an FPS counter (I am not gonna install third party apps) I have no idea what kind of frame rate I am getting but I did a couple of quick turns and pans up and down and no issues with sudden stuttering,

My ACER gsync monitor has a built in hardware FPS counter. Some bar on the left of the screen, not so bad and since it is done on the monitor, there is no overlay or intrusive software to run.

pa22word

30 fps with a 1080!?

Whats going on with this game?

Combo of recurring shit perf from NV on dx12 + the lighting system would be my guesses.

I seriously have not seen something near as impressive as QB in terms of lighting since DOOM 3 or STALKER, and it wouldn't shock me if this is a Crysis type situation where the implementation is ahead of the tech.

I mean SSAO ran like ass on everyone's card in crysis, yet later (and better, frankly) implementations built off the proof of concept in crysis ran much better. I think the insane GI and reflections featured here will be the same as time goes on, much like RAGE with virtual texturing.

dr_rus

Quantum Break DX12 GTX 1080 Vs GTX 980 TI Vs AMD Fury X Frame Rate Comparison

Combo of recurring shit perf from NV on dx12 + the lighting system would be my guesses.

I seriously have not seen something near as impressive as QB in terms of lighting since DOOM 3 or STALKER, and it wouldn't shock me if this is a Crysis type situation where the implementation is ahead of the tech.

I mean SSAO ran like ass on everyone's card in crysis, yet later (and better, frankly) implementations built off the proof of concept in crysis ran much better. I think the insane GI and reflections featured here will be the same as time goes on, much like RAGE with virtual texturing.

I seriously doubt that as a lot of QB's engine is based on tricks and precomputation to make the thing run on XBO h/w. Most other devs are doing the same style of volumetric / global lightning but they do it in real time or (sometimes rather comically "and") with better performance. QB's main strength seems to be its AO algorithm but since it's still a screen space solution it's unlikely to be widely used in the future as the trend is obviously to move from screen space to world space (see VXAO) which kinda makes a lot of sense once you have the voxelization of world space for lighting calculations anyway.

Finished Act 1 with my 970 / gsync @ 1440p no problems, enjoying the game so far and look forward to playing more. I didn't notice any real graphical glitches or lighting problems, except for that "some stuff looks kinda blurry" thing which I guess is an artifact of the way the PC port is.

All in all thumbs up though, took nearly 2 months but looking forward to finishing it over the next few days.

Evo X

Was awaiting for the GSYNC patch before playing. Just completed the first chapter.

God Damn, this game is intensive. I'm trying to play it maxed out at 1440P, but that is clearly not possible, even with an overclocked Titan X. Looks gorgeous though. Wondering if I should shelf this game for another 6 months until Pascal Titan releases or just lower the settings and use upscaling.

What are the settings to lower if I go down that route? Really don't want to use upscaling as that blurs the IQ so much.

Was awaiting for the GSYNC patch before playing. Just completed the first chapter.

God Damn, this game is intensive. I'm trying to play it maxed out at 1440P, but that is clearly not possible, even with an overclocked Titan X. Looks gorgeous though. Wondering if I should shelf this game for another 6 months until Pascal Titan releases or just lower the settings and use upscaling.

What are the settings to lower if I go down that route? Really don't want to use upscaling as that blurs the IQ so much.

For nvidia volumetric lighting kills performance. Start there

drotahorror

I wasn't super impressed with the graphics til I got to this part. This stuff in the labs just look so great.

quantumbreak6_22_2016vbrdy.png

This is with volumetric lighting, shadow filtering, shadow resolution on medium, AA off, Upscaling off, film grain off, everything else maxed. 60fps 1080p probably 90+% of the time. Wish performance was better, my pc is bonkers.

Since I have AA off, there has to be some sort of internal AA that isn't able to be turned off. Otherwise there would be jaggies galore.

Top Bottom