• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

Plum

It's funny that this game is shaping up to be like some Japanese PC ports... from a 1st party, AAA, makers of Windows, to promote their new store and their new app format.

And the dev was responsible for Max Payne and Alan Wake, the former a PC game through and through and the latter one of the best ports I've played. So dissapointing.

dmix90

Maybe disable SLI, because I watched a guy stream what looks like perfect 60fps gameplay at 1080p.
There is no SLI profile for a game. You don't need to disable anything it simply won't use more than one gpu by default.

Dahaka

How does that make any sense? Microsoft is delivering on a service basis, they rather you have things early and need some small fixes than delay for months. You are free to just not buy the game until you are ready and let others have fun....

I deleted the name to not stir a flame war but dear dude who replied to me about UWA a few weeks ago. Do you still believe in "let others have fun" and "small fixes"?

Who in his right mind as a self-conscious consumer has fun with this bad work of a port?

Zojirushi

I deleted the name to not stir a flame war but dear dude who replied to me about UWA a few weeks ago. Do you still believe in "let others have fun" and "small fixes"?

Who in his right mind as a self-conscious consumer has fun with this bad work of a port?

Uh maybe let's wait until the game's out in the wild and we have some more impressions before we pull out the forks and torches?

dmix90

Have they even got SLI working with UWA yet?
You can force it in some games by messing with SLI bits in NVidia Inspector but results are shitty since there is no exclusive fullscreen support. And obviously not a single DX12 game other than Ashes of Singularity supports native DX12 mGPU functionality right now.
-_-
That is not true. You need to disable it because two GPUs can still cause issues.
How so? Any examples?

There is no SLI profile for a game. You don't need to disable anything it simply won't use more than one gpu by default.

No true, the driver will still try to utilize both GPUs when running a game that has no SLI profile which could cause serious framing pacing issues.

GHG

Gold Member
These things takes time. Let's wait months before they put something as old and simple as V-sync.

Lol it's a sad situation.

The fact is, we've been talking about this for months so people with SLI shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't work.

bennibop

According to the other QB thread it is not a good port, it has frame drops sub 30 even at low settings on a 980. Not forgetting there is now option to quit the game in the options menu! Disappointing

Alexious

Not looking good... If you disable sli how does it run?

It runs exactly the same. And SLI has no problem by itself with UWP, the only problem is that DirectX 12 games needs to have explicit SLI/CrossFire support instead of relying on drivers like they used to, and developers are totally dropping the ball when it comes to mGPU support in DirectX 12. That includes Rise of the Tomb Raider on Steam.

dmix90

Experience with multiGPU setups. First thing I always tried was disabling crossfire when I had issues.
You know things a PC gamer tries.
Well in my experience i had no issues with that on SLI. If there is no profile for a game then second gpu calmly sits at 0% usage while the main one takes everything it can get. I had issues with very old games though, when for some reason their profiles are fucked and they try to use AFR or SFR( and you could see that in NVCP ), in that case i had to manually prevent that.

Well in my experience i had no issues with that on SLI. If there is no profile for a game then second gpu calmly sits at 0% usage while the main one takes everything it can get. I had issues with very old games though, when for some reason their profiles are fucked and they try to use AFR or SFR( and you could see that in NVCP ), in that case i had to manually prevent that.

Well, you're wrong lol.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I might be wrong but I can't help but feel that this PC port was not in development for long. I realize XO shares a lot with the PC in terms of hardware and the whole point of UWP and Dx12 is to facilitate easier porting...but I'm sure it still requires a lot of extra work. Remedy has always been very competent on PC. There has to be a reason for this.

A guy tweeted that he's under 30fps with a 980 on low settings, it's in the other thread. Yikes.
Yeah but he was using a 4 year old AMD CPU.

Mifec

I might be wrong but I can't help but feel that this PC port was not in development for long. I realize XO shares a lot with the PC in terms of hardware and the whole point of UWP and Dx12 is to facilitate easier porting...but I'm sure it still requires a lot of extra work. Remedy has always been very competent on PC. There has to be a reason for this.

Yeah this is why I'm wondering what's going on.

SomTervo

This is really disappointing.

No PC pre-load a good thing, right gais?

I held off on pre-ordering for that very reason. Seems like the waiting time was worth it.

A really sorry state of affairs - I'm keen to play Remedy's new game. It looks like it will be a lot better than Alan Wake (for me, at least).

I might be wrong but I can't help but feel that this PC port was not in development for long.

This is the vibe I get. It was announced at the 11th hour, and Sam Lake said the other day that he was 'pushing' for it a lot, which suggests MS only conceded at a late stage.

Rodin

That's "partially" reassuring, but the porting is looking bad anyway. Hopefully remedy will fix this because i really, really want to play it. It's one of my most anticipated 2016 games.

golem

It runs exactly the same. And SLI has no problem by itself with UWP, the only problem is that DirectX 12 games needs to have explicit SLI/CrossFire support instead of relying on drivers like they used to, and developers are totally dropping the ball when it comes to mGPU support in DirectX 12. That includes Rise of the Tomb Raider on Steam.

Is the AA solution better on PC? Any screenshots?

Knurek

Maybe Remedy just wants to save us all from UWP hell by deliberately sabotaging WinStore version of their game?
Especially if they have a set exclusivity period and can release the game on Steam afterwards...

MaLDo

Well, one is enough, isn't it?

I think it was an anomaly caused by some hardcoded fixes/workarounds in the driver/game not something worth trying for each game with problems.

It was Wolfenstein, and I think the game detects your multigpu setup to disable CUDA transcoding even when you have the game profile in singlegpu setup. That's because the game can't see the profile from nvidia.

Having SLI and Tri-SLI for years, I agree with him. Only found one game where disabling SLI in control panel improves performance over disabling it in the profile.

And yet in the world of PC gaming some people never have problems with anything while others always have problems with everything...

It's about removing any potential variables from the equation. There's lots of instances where people claim that disabling SLI improved their performance on games that didn't support the feature.

In the world of DX12, and UMAs.. and the birthing pains that come with them... perhaps disabling SLI may resolve the problem? Is that much of a stretch?

Hell.. even Ashes of the Singularity's developers recommend disabling SLI/crossfire in the control panel to run in their mGPU mode...

holygeesus

Banned
Amusingly, if they had bothered to release the game at midnight, before early word on performance issues had surfaced, they would have had my money already. This enforced wait, that means a lot of people here in the UK won't be able to have the bloody thing even downloaded fully on the day of release, means I've lost all enthusiasm for it, so I think I'll give it a miss.

MaLDo

And yet in the world of PC gaming some people never have problems with anything while others always have problems with everything...

It's about removing any potential variables from the equation. There's lots of instances where people claim that disabling SLI improved their performance on games that didn't support the feature.

In the world of DX12, and UMAs.. and the birthing pains that come with them... perhaps disabling SLI may resolve the problem? Is that much of a stretch?

Hell.. even Ashes of the Singularity's developers recommend disabling SLI/crossfire in the control panel to run in their mGPU mode...

Yeah, maybe disconnecting your USB mouse and keyboard could improve the performance because in Mini Ninjas that worked, right?

I mean, you have to see the difference in a workaround that make sense and another that don't.

derFeef

Yeah, maybe disconnecting your USB mouse and keyboard could improve the performance because in Mini Ninjas that worked, right?

I mean, you have to see the difference in a workaround that make sense and another that don't.

And I bet you can find examples for that too. Don't act liek that, come on.

Genio88

I hope they'll send the codes for preorders today too, yesterday I couldn't wait and I started the game on Xbox One, though i'd like to continue it on PC maxed out

Top Bottom