• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

Well, but if actual framerates and more importantly, frame pacing does not improve with this patch, what other major technical issues do you mean?

I was under the impression that poor performance even on capable hardware and terrible frame pacing were the biggest issues on the PC version atm.

framerates being artificially capped to some fraction of your monitors refresh rate is what i expect to be fixed

holygeesus

Banned
Show me (even a video) of another game doing that. I'd agree with the other guy...there's a reason they had to build this game like they did for the X1.

there is no reason that the PC version couldn't be better than it is though. It is not a massive step up from the X1 version and on high-end PCs there is a lot more headroom to work with. I don't blame them for just porting the X1 version though, given the time restraints, but when asking for premium money for a product, it should make full use of the hardware it is being sold for.

Also the lighting isn't always that impressive. The Volumetric lighting isn't a patch on Rise of the Tomb Raider's IMO and I would argue that that game, and the recent Division were overall far more impressive visually. I understand that QB is effects-heavy, but it should work within constraints, if compromise impacts on the gameplay, as it does in this case, with texture quality and framerate lacking...not to mention the resolution.

shandy706

there is no reason that the PC version couldn't be better than it is though. It is not a massive step up from the X1 version and on high-end PCs there is a lot more headroom to work with. I don't blame them for just porting the X1 version though, given the time restraints, but when asking for premium money for a product, it should make full use of the hardware it is being sold for.

Also the lighting isn't always that impressive. The Volumetric lighting isn't a patch on Rise of the Tomb Raider's IMO and I would argue that that game, and the recent Division were overall far more impressive visually. I understand that QB is effects-heavy, but it should work within constraints, if compromise impacts on the gameplay, as it does in this case, with texture quality and framerate lacking...not to mention the resolution.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. :) The texture/materials quality is incredible in most cases, and the resolution/frame pacing doesn't change the conversation either.

RotTR looks great (I have it) and I played a ton of The Division too. Both are impressive in a number of areas, but I've not noticed either doing what we're talking about in QB.

I'd have to go back to TR and TD to see if every little thing is affected by my presence near it. Looking at my Division screens/captures...they look nice...but not QB nice indoor environment wise. Bit silly to compare open world there though.

Anyway, moving on. I wish the stinking patch would hurry up and get here. I can handle downsampling the game...the hitches in the frame pacing are super annoying though. 2880x1620 (aka 1080p "reconstructed") runs fine outside of the obvious problems with the game.

holygeesus

Banned
I must be playing a different game as the textures look pretty ordinary to me. At least at 1080p. Your 4K shots above look great though, so it may well be the deliberate soft look of the game, coupled with the compromised resolution, masking them.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

I must be playing a different game as the textures look pretty ordinary to me. At least at 1080p. Your 4K shots above look great though, so it may well be the deliberate soft look of the game, coupled with the compromised resolution, masking them.

In both cases - well said! It's a great looking title, certainly one of the best. It's just not "the absolute" best out there - and that's fine, too. Also, in 4K, the textures look about the same, but the IQ (the one area that I find is the weakest regarding the visual make-up in Quantum Break) is improved substantially at that rez.

OT: Happy that a patch is on the way!

Anyone know how i can get the game to run at 4k without changing my monitors resolution to 4k?

At the moment, no. And even if you select 4K as your desktop resolution the game renders effectively at 1440p. You would have to select 6K as your desktop resolution to get the game running in 4K.

sertopico

I've yet to see any game that has you, the environment, and the lighting affect nearly every object in a scene on the level that QB does.

A random glass on a table, a doorknob in a back room, or the top of a table in a lab.

Every single one of the above from the floor to the ceiling reacts to you, the NPCs, the lighting. You can see your face, your hands, your gun, effects, reflecting in a cup on a table...a glossy table-top reflects light and objects on it...a metal table will reflect your arm (distorting it with the grain) as it passes near it.

I've never seen anything like it in anything that is coming or that I've played in the past.

Show me (even a video) of another game doing that. I'd agree with the other guy...there's a reason they had to build this game like they did for the X1. I don't think the technical side of it has been really explored like it needs to be.

I was watching X-Files last night and noticed that the way the people in an elevator appear on the metal of the doors and sides matched the way entering an elevator in QB looks.
I totally agree with you and I understand what you are talking about, such a realistic lighting system, even with its own limitations and "tricks" made to improve performance, has not been seen in any other game yet as far as I know. Sure, the overall quality is not always top notch and here and there you can notice some imperfections but it's still impressive... To me, after playing QB, every other game looks flat and somehow primitive. I've been playing the Mirror's Edge beta on PC and yes, it looks good indeed. However when it comes to reflections, realistic lighthing and facial animations QB wins without any doubt, just to make an example. Also the latest Tomb Raider looks good but it still has that cartoonish look which QB does not have... It's all about the lighting in my opinion.

Mr White

I can handle downsampling the game...the hitches in the frame pacing are super annoying though. 2880x1620 (aka 1080p "reconstructed") runs fine outside of the obvious problems with the game.
Can you please point me to a tutorial about achieving this resolution on 1080p screen? There is no option in menus

sertopico

Doesn't handle it at all.

About the custom resolutions, once i set 5120x2880 from nvcp, but when i got to the game settings i wasn't able to set it, the highest res was 4k. Is that a QB limitation?

Doesn't handle it at all.

About the custom resolutions, once i set 5120x2880 from nvcp, but when i got to the game settings i wasn't able to set it, the highest res was 4k. Is that a QB limitation?

Yes, seems to be an engine limitation atm. Only way to get it running in a higher resolution than 4K (1440p) is to select, in your case, 5120x2880 as your desktop resolution then running the game in windowed mode and stretching the window as large as it can be.

Of course. I wanted to see how the game handles true 4K but maybe my PC wanted to self protect itself hehe...

5120x2880 still wouldn't render the game at "true 4K" you would need to select a fullscreen resolution of 5760x3240 to achieve that which atm isn't possible. The highest resolution I've tried to run it on was, desktop at 5760x3240 + game in windowed mode which resulted in a resolution of 5418x3048 thus making the game render in 3612x2032. And let me tell you, if you're using a 980Ti it runs like absolute hardened shit, 5-10fps at most to be more exact :p

sertopico

Oh yes you are right, I did not make the proper calculations. My bad. Anyway, after your feedback I won't event try to push things further (I own a 980 Ti). :D

SimplexPL

PC version needs completely different fixes than Xbox version, so I am not sure that releasing an update on XONE can be a reliable indicator that PC fix is coming too.

PC version needs completely different fixes than Xbox version, so I am not sure that releasing an update on XONE can be a reliable indicator that PC fix is coming too.

Thomas (Remedy's head of PR) stated that the Title Update 2 is to be released this week for Win10 and XO in case no other complications occur so I would take the update releasing for XO as a good sign, nothing rock solid though.
Have we even got any patch notes yet?

Not for PC, just for Xbox. They will release PC patch notes by the time the patch goes live.

w0s

Can't wait for the patch. Finally started plaing this and while it is definitely blurry I don't seem to have the huge stuttering problems. Any improvement at this point will make me even happier.

dr_rus

Added 27.4.2016: Microsoft has identified a Windows 10 memory management issue which may cause Quantum Break to crash on some GPUs. This crash is seen more frequently at higher game settings. Microsoft plans to fix this in a future Windows Update.
Dat UWP keeps on giving.

FaintDeftone

So I just installed the game tonight and started playing. My rig has an i7 4790k, GTX 970, 16GB RAM, and running on a WD Black 7200RPM 1TB HDD (I have an SSD but for OS only).

I set the game to Ultra on 1080p and the framerate is fine but the game stutters and jerks like crazy, as if the game can't load fast enough to keep up with the game. It happens so much that the game is basically unplayable for me. I even dropped it down to Medium and it still does it just as bad. The settings don't matter at all, the stutter and jerkiness still exists. It seems to get worse the longer I play. I loaded the game up a second time and I had no stutter for about 10min of gameplay and then it kicked in again. Is this a common issue or do I need to start troubleshooting shit?

So I just installed the game tonight and started playing. My rig has an i7 4790k, GTX 970, 16GB RAM, and running on a WD Black 7200RPM 1TB HDD (I have an SSD but for OS only).

I set the game to Ultra on 1080p and the framerate is fine but the game stutters and jerks like crazy, as if the game can't load fast enough to keep up with the game. It happens so much that the game is basically unplayable for me. I even dropped it down to Medium and it still does it just as bad. The settings don't matter at all, the stutter and jerkiness still exists. It seems to get worse the longer I play. I loaded the game up a second time and I had no stutter for about 10min of gameplay and then it kicked in again. Is this a common issue or do I need to start troubleshooting shit?

Can only speak from my experience but the only way I can get the game even playable is to set everything at medium at 1080p, and I'm on a 980 ti. I've stopped playing the game for weeks now and will only play once the patch is out.

SimplexPL

I guess you did not read Digital Foundry's assessment:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-went-wrong-with-quantum-break-pc said:
Data streaming: Quantum Break's world is divided into small chunks that are dynamically loaded as needed. This enables a continuous, more consistent world to explore but it also demands a lot from the hardware. This is a game that must be installed on a solid state drive. We tested Quantum Break on a fast 7200rpm HGST mechanical drive as well as a Samsung 850 EVO SSD and found that performance simply wasn't acceptable on the former when transitioning between areas. Huge stutters and skips appear, leading to a very jerky experience at select points. This isn't necessarily an issue with the port - though Xbox One clearly copes better with far less capable storage - but to our mind, an SSD is an essential requirement you must bear in mind before purchasing.

beeswax

The post literally says that the problem is with UWP memory management and it will be fixed with a Windows update, not a QB game update. So yes, of course we blame UWP for that.

What post? The Remedy post says this:

Added 27.4.2016: Microsoft has identified a Windows 10 memory management issue which may cause Quantum Break to crash on some GPUs. This crash is seen more frequently at higher game settings. Microsoft plans to fix this in a future Windows Update.

I don't see UWP anywhere there.

dr_rus

Ot but how long do i have b4 windows 10 is no longer free?
Till end of July (27th? I don't remember the date) if nothing will change.

Although it seems to have nothing to do with UWP.
Actually it's good news if this fix could enhance stability for every application.
What are the chances that this is a global issue and not just UWP's sandbox issue? I'd say pretty slim as such stuff in the normal Win32 environment would've came up during all the beta testing. Hence why I think that it is UWP related.

Locuza

What are the chances that this is a global issue and not just UWP's sandbox issue? I'd say pretty slim as such stuff in the normal Win32 environment would've came up during all the beta testing. Hence why I think that it is UWP related.
Sometimes, after a longer play session, the game can end up to a state where the video memory becomes fragmented, and an important asset gets moved to system memory, which slows the rendering performance significantly. This problem is very rare and Remedy will continue to investigate and improve the video memory behavior in future updates.

This could be WDDM related and how Windows allocates memory and not necessarily how the UWP runtime behaves.

Top Bottom