• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

I'd guess till somewhere towards the end of July 29th. That would be exactly a year after release, which MS stated, Windows 10 being a free upgrade for a year starting from release.

Till end of July (27th? I don't remember the date) if nothing will change.

What are the chances that this is a global issue and not just UWP's sandbox issue? I'd say pretty slim as such stuff in the normal Win32 environment would've came up during all the beta testing. Hence why I think that it is UWP related.

thx. dont wanna instill it until im about to lose the free upgrade

It says Windows 10 memory management, not UWP memory management.

Whenever Microsoft refers to "Windows 10" you can assume UWP, it's how they announce all the exclusive games on it. If the memory issue was on desktop as well, shouldn't almost all demanding games have a crashing issue?

Locuza

If the memory issue was on desktop as well, shouldn't almost all demanding games have a crashing issue?
If the crash occurs very often and no application can avoid it, then yes.
But if the problem only happens in certain cases and can be avoided to a certain degree, then no.

I mean on the other hand is Quantum Break crashing because of UWP?
Is Rise of the Tomb Raider crashing because of UWP? Is the Steam Version more stable?

FaintDeftone

I guess you did not read Digital Foundry's assessment:

I actually did see that article but I must have glossed over that part. To me that's a bad port job, not a hardware issue. If the Xbox One version can run just fine on a 5400 RPM hard drive then the PC version should suffice on a platter hard drive just fine. They need to fix that.

I have an SSD but its a small 120GB one and I only use it for the OS and important apps. I don't store games on it. I really don't want to have to buy a brand new SSD drive and deal with all of this just for one game.

If the crash occurs very often and no application can avoid it, then yes.
But if the problem only happens in certain cases and can be avoided to a certain degree, then no.

I mean on the other hand is Quantum Break crashing because of UWP?
Is Rise of the Tomb Raider crashing because of UWP? Is the Steam Version more stable?

ive only had 1 crash in the steam version of tomb raider, but im on windows 8.1 under dx11

Never had a crash in the Steam version of ROTTR (played it on Win 10, DirectX 11, R9 290, 8Gb RAM) unless I OC'd my graphics card (which crashed the driver in several games, not just that one).

Upgraded to a GTX 980 and 16Gb RAM since, and haven't had a crash anywhere (QB included), although to be fair I haven't played many extended gaming sessions since the upgrade.

Qassim

Finally came back to this and disabled G-Sync entirely and the performance is significantly improved. The dodgy frame pacing is still there and annoying, but I could play through this game and mostly enjoy it even in its current state, because framerate seems to be almost always above 60 in the short amount I've played so far, but that could change quickly as not much as happened so far - just the first initial gun fights.

Obligatory specs:

2560x1440 (for whatever that's worth in this game)
All settings maxed out except for shadows and volumetric lighting (High instead of Ultra)

980Ti boost to 1450Mhz
i7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz
16GB RAM

Kind of looking forward to playing this again now, once a patch comes out to fix the odd framepacing (surely it has to get fixed?).

My biggest complaint, however, isn't to do with performance it's to do with the keyboard controls. It feels like walk forward sticks on for a period of time, always a predictable amount of time too. The character doesn't stop walking/running forward unless you somehow manage to cancel it by moving backwards or until it stops moving by itself. It's fine on the Xbox controller, but I don't really want to play this game with the controller.

dmix90

How does the patching work? Is it automatic? Do I have to do something to get it to download?
Try to open Windows Store app. Click on your avatar in top right corner and there should be
a menu "Downloads & Updates" or whatever its called in your os language then click check for updates button.

Try to open Windows Store app. Click on your avatar in top right corner and there should be
a menu "Downloads & Updates" or whatever its called in your os language then click check for updates button.

Thanks. Unfortunately for me, the game was defaulted to my C drive, and that's on an SSD, and I've run out of space! Ack! Is there a way to put the game onto a different drive?

dr_rus

jLOb.png

This is fucking hilarious. Are they actively _trying_ to kill of their UWP platform right on the start or?..

Thanks. Unfortunately for me, the game was defaulted to my C drive, and that's on an SSD, and I've run out of space! Ack! Is there a way to put the game onto a different drive?

That's because from what I was able to catch patching in UWP is done in a very efficient and not at all ancient way: they copy the contents of the current version to a new folder, patch that copy and then delete the old folder. So to install patches in UWP you have to have at least the same amount of free space on the drive as the size of the app/game you want to patch.

settings - system - app - move

Thanks. When I try moving it, I get this error message. Thanks, Microsoft! ><

"We couldn't move Quantum Break.

The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit.
The error code is 0x80073d0b, in case you need it."

I've tried like 4 times now, and I get that message every time. Well, I guess I can't download the patch, since I'm out of space on my SSD! This game has been nothing but problems! Screw you, Microsoft!

Thanks. When I try moving it, I get this error message. Thanks, Microsoft! ><

"We couldn't move Quantum Break.

The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit.
The error code is 0x80073d0b, in case you need it."

I've tried like 4 times now, and I get that message every time. Well, I guess I can't download the patch, since I'm out of space on my SSD! This game has been nothing but problems! Screw you, Microsoft!

Delete the game to recover the space, and then re-download from the Store.

I know it's not optimal, but it's your next step.

Delete the game to recover the space, and then re-download from the Store.

I know it's not optimal, but it's your next step.

Yeah, I was considering doing that, but is there a way to select the drive I want the game to be installed onto? When I first installed it, the game automatically downloaded to my C drive. How do I get the game to download/install to a different drive?

dr_rus

The patch added the option of disabling the resolution reconstruction:

rLOb.jpg

Quick comparison:

Upscaling on:
tLOb.jpg

Upscaling off:
uLOb.jpg

Another couple of options added are film grain toggle and main menu game exit option.

Thanks, Remedy, I knew you could do it =)

Edit: Seems to run kinda ok without upscaling in 1080p on Ultra preset on my 980Ti.
I'll wait for vsync off option MS promised in May before playing it though.
Remedy should also think about adding a motion blur toggle in future patches.

rLOb.jpg

Quick comparison:

Upscaling on:
tLOb.jpg

Upscaling off:
uLOb.jpg

Another couple of options added are film grain toggle and main menu game exit option.

Edit: Seems to run kinda ok without upscaling in 1080p on Ultra preset on my 980Ti.

That is awesome news. I can't wait to try it.

rLOb.jpg

Quick comparison:

Upscaling on:
tLOb.jpg

Upscaling off:
uLOb.jpg

Holy shit! They did it!

*notworthy.gif*

Tell me they fixed the refresh rate error.

Corpekata

Banned
Turning upscaling off @ 1440p on a 980ti is about a 20 FPS loss. Scenes that hovered in the 55-60 range are now in the 38-40. Haven't checked the FPS lock and frame pacing, might be worth it for those that lock it at 30.

The game had issues with Gsync being enabled before, going to try that next now.

gunnerbomb

Neo Member
I'm guessing this game will only run better on AMD cards. A real shame as I wanted max settings @ 1440p on my 980 TI with a 60 FPS avg which doesn't seem to be possible here.

Particuarly since there isn't any multi-gpu support so we will have to wait for the next gen of GPUs to get high frame rates.

Yikes.

Okay, good news is we are now able to run the game at native resolution without upscaling.

Bad news is frame rate and input lag goes to shit when upscaling is turned off at Medium preset.

Core i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz
Geforce GTX 970
16GB RAM

With upscaling turned on at Medium preset, it is definitely a lot smoother with no noticeable stutter.

jim2011

rLOb.jpg

Quick comparison:

Upscaling on:
tLOb.jpg

Upscaling off:
uLOb.jpg

Wow that's a big difference. Are you getting frame rates close to 60 at 1080p?

Can't believe I have to wait for 27 freaking gigabytes to download...

I'm probably going to leave the resolution reconstruction turned on, it didn't look so bad all things considered. Great to hear that it sounds like the frame pacing has been fixed.

I'm guessing this game will only run better on AMD cards. A real shame as I wanted max settings @ 1440p on my 980 TI with a 60 FPS avg which doesn't seem to be possible here.

Particularly since there isn't any multi-gpu support so we will have to wait for the next gen of GPUs to get high frame rates.

Regardless of the quality of Quantum Break's port specifically, judging a game's performance at max settings is extremely counterproductive. It's how we end up with restrictions on things like native rendering resolution in the first place.

You should at least try turning stuff down to medium. The Digital Foundry examination from a while back found VERY little difference between medium and ultra settings, despite an enormous performance hit.

dr_rus

You can always lower the settings.

Wow that's a big difference. Are you getting frame rates close to 60 at 1080p?
As I've said in the patch thread, I think I'm getting ~40-50 in 1080p on Ultra preset. But it's hard to tell as there are no way of measuring them.

Peterthumpa

27 GB. Twenty-Fucking-Seven Gigabytes.

Is the Store basically redownloading the whole game again? Awesome news about the upscaling toggle though.

GavinUK86

Still not bought this yet even though I've been tempted for ages. With the new patch what sort of performance are people with 970's getting? On any setting at 1080p. Curious to know if it's worth getting yet or not.

I just tried it on my i7 3770k and 980Ti setup.

Upscaling on at 1440p: Hovers between 30 and 50.
Upscaling off at 1440p: Can't even do 30.

Gonna play it at 1080p ultra with upscaling and film grain off. It looks so, so much better, but man, that lighting engine murders the hardware.

mosdl

You can always lower the settings.

As I've said in the patch thread, I think I'm getting ~40-50 in 1080p on Ultra preset. But it's hard to tell as there are no way of measuring them.

dxtory works for me - I had to alt enter the game to get it to show an fps and after than I could "full screen" and get an fps counter showing.

sertopico

I just tried it on my i7 3770k and 980Ti setup.

Upscaling on at 1440p: Hovers between 30 and 50.
Upscaling off at 1440p: Can't even do 30.

Gonna play it at 1080p ultra with upscaling and film grain off. It looks so, so much better, but man, that lighting engine murders the hardware.

So, performance wise it runs exactly like it was running before the patch, great.
I also have a 980 Ti but coupled with a 6700k, I think it won't make a huge difference though, this game relies mostly on the GPU.

BHK3

Banned
Yikes.

Okay, good news is we are now able to run the game at native resolution without upscaling.

Bad news is frame rate and input lag goes to shit when upscaling is turned off at Medium preset.

Core i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz
Geforce GTX 970
16GB RAM

With upscaling turned on at Medium preset, it is definitely a lot smoother with no noticeable stutter.
Anyone else with a 970? This doesn't look good for me as I have a very similar setup. You get input lag as well? Whats your frame rate before/after?

cyen

Unplayable on a 980ti at 1440p with upscaling off, most of the time it feels like low 20´s high 10´s in terms of fps.

Top Bottom