• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break W10 version WILL get updates, is not "left behind"

etta

my hard graphic balls
https://twitter.com/RiotRMD/status/764167050843545600
Clarifying that, of course, updates made to QB on Steam will also be released for the Win10 version and vice versa. That should be a given.
rR9iQxq.png

https://twitter.com/RiotRMD/status/764167422173712384
Apologies for the confusion caused. We are not leaving one version behind for another. Parity is important. Again, I’d think thats a given.
eD5L4X7.png

Ape

Banned
He was pretty clear that it wasn't getting updates before. Wonder if either he didn't know what he was talking about or something changed

LewieP

Strange use of the word parity when by necessity the UWP version won't have features that the win32 version will.

Edit: are they planning on adding DX11 support to the UWP version?

jelly

Phil Spencer picked up the phone.

Performance differences will be interesting. I can understand bug fixes being parity but if one is DX11 and the other DX12, that's a whole other kettle of fish and if Remedy are putting effort into the DX11 version for Steam, is anything going to come from that for the Windows Store version performance wise, chalk and cheese no?

At this very moment it's a given. In our original tweet it was not. Sorry for the confusion we caused by being direct before someone called us and changed our minds.

Good. I guess he was just talking about DX11 being Steam-only then.

Seeing as I'm not expecting a ton of optimization work to be done, I'm not expecting this to make a big difference.

dLMN8R

Say what you will about UWP or whatever, but it's weird that people think that performance is one of its issues.

Didn't Rise of the Tomb Raider perform exactly as well between UWP and Steam? I remember some gaffer confirming as much.

Forza Apex and Killer Instinct also perform extremely well despite looking pretty amazing.

Maybe Quantum Break on Steam will perform better, but if it does, there's nothing stopping those same changes from also improving the UWP version.

Say what you will about UWP or whatever, but it's weird that people think that performance is one of its issues.

Didn't Rise of the Tomb Raider perform exactly as well between UWP and Steam? I remember some gaffer confirming as much.

Forza Apex and Killer Instinct also perform extremely well despite looking pretty amazing.

Maybe Quantum Break on Steam will perform better, but if it does, there's nothing stopping those same changes from also improving the UWP version.
DX12 has certainly proved to be an inhibitor of performance on NV hardware. The port to DX11 means a decent shot at a performance and stability boost for anyone on Team Green.

How ignorant do you have to be to say something like that in the first place? Just don't respond or say "I'll look into it". Anything but, "fuck off, nah".

dLMN8R

DX12 has certainly proved to be an inhibitor of performance on NV hardware. The port to DX11 means a decent shot at a performance and stability boost for anyone on Team Green.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping. Both that DX11 helps and that the UWP version gets DX11 too.

So does that mean the Steam version will get DX12 and the Windows 10 version will get DX11? Because that is what "parity" means. Funny how he doesn't explicitly say that.

Also smh at those tweets. Two days ago he said "updates for W10 unlikely", and now he says "of course there will be updates", "parity is important", "that should be a given"? Yeah ok.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Gemüsepizza;213491814 said:
So does that mean the Steam version will get DX12 and the Windows 10 version will get DX11? Because that is what "parity" means. Funny how he doesn't explicitly say that.

Also smh at those tweets. Two days ago he said "updates for W10 unlikely", and now he says "of course there will be updates", "parity is important", "that should be a given"? Yeah ok.

Bro have you never made a mistake?

And parity probably means within the given possibilities. I don't know if Microsoft would want the DX11 added to their thing, they want to push DX12. Steam will probably get the DX12 version, why wouldn't it?

Wagram

Just another day with Microsoft and co. where everything needs to be restated 8 different times due to confusion.

Good news though.

LordRaptor

There's nothing about UWA that stops DX11 working on it, or stops DX12 being present on other storefronts.

DirectX is basically entirely seperate from the UWP.

Bro have you never made a mistake?

Sure, but to me something like "that should be a given" sounds a bit like he is passing the blame.

And parity probably means within the given possibilities. I don't know if Microsoft would want the DX11 added to their thing, they want to push DX12. Steam will probably get the DX12 version, why wouldn't it?

There are DX11 games on the Windows store. Why use words like "parity" when you don't mean it? Also, at this point there is no mention at all about DX12 support for the Steam version.

Apathy

Gemüsepizza;213493023 said:
Sure, but to me something like "that should be a given" sounds a bit like he is passing the blame.

There are DX11 games on the Windows store. Why use words like "parity" when you don't mean it? Also, at this point there is no mention at all about DX12 support for the Steam version.
His wording of "should be a given" is passive aggressive like "what are you dumb?" Clearly the first message was terrible that many people did not understand it but that's not or fault.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Gemüsepizza;213493023 said:

I think you're just reading a little too much into it. It's just a guy on his personal Twitter account. If it was a company statement then sure, go nuts with the analysis of words.
The second part seems to have been addressed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Someone is getting fired for that PR screw-up. :p

If it's a "given" then why say "lol no, fuck you guys?"

rrs

Someone is getting fired for that PR screw-up. :p

If it's a "given" then why say "lol no, fuck you guys?"
a very unfortunate case of foot in mouth syndrome or being serious about just dumping the win10 version after being calling the exclusive PC version, can you take a guess on a scale to pissed to fucking pissed MS must be from those words. Just look at the other thread for it, loads of people being like "lol win10 store, I'll just wait for Steam release." It's kinda hard to take over the PC gaming market when your customer base thinks they are just going to get shafted again ala GFWL

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I mean people would've thought it was a given if you hadn't said it wasn't..... Confusing, still it's good to hear they don't actually intend to leave the Windows Store version behind then.

kodecraft

Good. Made no sense when it was announced. Win10 version no longer supported? Yea right. Good to see WinStore still in the fight

Top Bottom