• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break W10 version WILL get updates, is not "left behind"

Pixieking

Banned
Good. Made no sense when it was announced. Win10 version no longer supported? Yea right. Good to see WinStore still in the fight

Except it looks less "in the fight" now than it did a few days ago... That people accepted the end of life of a WinStore product so easily shows MS really has no chance. Whether the initial comment was true and MS/Remedy have changed their minds, or whether it was just poor communication, it's hard to argue that WinStore/MS/Remedy come out of this little incident with a better image than they had previously. No, it hasn't harmed them dramatically, but it hasn't made anyone feel better about WinStore, has it?

Mohasus

Kinda weird how DX12 was going to be the greatest thing in PC gaming, bringing "coding to the metal" to PCs and now people want DX11 back.

Zojirushi

Kinda weird how DX12 was going to be the greatest thing in PC gaming, bringing "coding to the metal" to PCs and now people want DX11 back.

Well the risks were very clear from the start. Giving more power to developers obviously means more possibilities to fuck it up.

Pixieking

Banned

DX11 is an older API, supported by more graphics cards, and those cards which support both DX11 and DX12 generally speaking tend to perform better under DX11. Optimisation and knowledge of older tech, and all that.

LewieP

I was vague, I meant that pairing dx12 with UWP means that any failings can't be remedied by the community. I know that win32/dx12 games are typically open to mods.

"That should be a given"

"Again, I'd think that's a given"

I *love* Remedy's earlier work, especially Alan Wake.

But this kind of smarmy response to cover up the poor messaging he caused isn't the best way to go about it. Best case, it doesn't exactly give confidence that their right hand knows what their left hand is doing. Worst case, it sounds like they had decided to stop support for the Win10 version going forward but pulled a 180 in response to bad PR.

Edit: I should note I've been planning on picking up QB at some point on Xbone and/or as soon as it comes to Steam (and the performance issues are fixed). But this kind of PR response gives me pause and makes me think I'd be better off waiting a few more months and just getting it when it hits the bargain bin. This kind of BS has consequences.

Top Bottom