• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Error Dev: Cerny Is A Genius, PS5 Feels Designed with Developers In Mind; Zen 2 Is Exciting

thelastword

Banned
But that directly affect gaming output.
Easier means more games and better performance.
Not just that, but people had no issue praising "easier to develop" consoles before......It was a big push in one particular generation in question, where you generally had better multiplats for one box…...At a time where games launch in a state where they need to be patched constantly for better performance. sometimes even months in. I'd say an easier to develop console might get better performance out the gate.....More and more teams have less time for optimizations these days, and even then, optimization on the easier console is much easier....

Then you think of what the best developers in the world will do with an easy to develop console at launch or how much time they will save developing their games as a result, less than one month to triangle is a big deal and has lots of benefits, both short term and long term relative to how quickly devs can get their games running and released to more time invested in improving gameplay and polish as opposed to taking months to figure out how to overcome bottlenecks and fit a specific high ambitious level in with out losing lots of frames....Yes, it definitely has a big impact on development cycles and it will add up.....

This is especially so for a console which has lots of custom hardware, this means, not only is it easy to develop for but lots of optimization can be done as well due to the custom hardware like the geometry engine, cache scrubbers and of course no need for CPU cycles for sound due to the custom chip......That means more CPU power for A.I and physics.....Easy to develop for is great but Easy to develop for + lots of custom hardware is the two pronged genius of Cerny, we have never had these two intertwined before.

I love it how any positive from a developer about the PS5 is tried to grt shot down cause’ them teraflops
Either that or shoot down the developer, look at the post just below your's......It's not like Quantum Error looks like an Ecco the Dolphin clone with 90's gameplay and MS DOS sounds. I have checked these guy's games out, lots of atmosphere, good graphics and effects. They are trying to push as much quality in their games as they can......I was really impressed with how atmospheric their games are.....Cant wait for Quantum Error. Some people said their last game was a tad buggy, but with an easy to develop console, it helps with that, that's the whole point isn't it.....Their projects will have less bugs and performance issues, clearly a good thing as they are shooting for 4k 60fps with good physics and a fair implementation of Raytracing....Sounds good in my book......Others are concerned though..

Leyasu

Banned
Yes. Better tools makes the path to reach peak performance easier and of course optimization process faster.

PS4 was already an example of that (of course after all mistakes with PS3 hardware and software tools) and devs are saying PS5 is even easier than PS4.

But, would that also not mean that devs will be squeezing even more out of the XsX for even longer?

Could it not be interpreted as the ps5 has the potential to be maxed within a few years?

Although, every gen, if you compare launch games to the end of cycle games, there is no comparison. I don’t honestly think that ease of development is going to make up the power difference

CaptainClaw

Why would you name your game Quantum Error?, has there ever been a game that used the word Error in their title before?.

Sota4077

I think you understimate people and overstimate cerny's job tbh.

Him being more smart than 95% of world population is really a bizzare percentage...

I sell culinary professional equipment so i see the internal construction of stuff like giant fridges, dishwasher and other stuff and the level of intricacy is fucking nuts, i really don't think that a guy who project a top tier industrial fridge is less smart or capable than cerny, same for basically any othet guy who build shit up like modern engines on cars or smartphone etc.

Not trying to get the thread off topic so I will be as brief as I can and keep it about Mark Cerny. Prior to working in my current job designing utility scale solar farms I designed wood grinding equipment. I like to think I have been around pretty intelligent folks in my professional life. I've worked on intricate things similar to what you are talking about. When folks say that Mark Cerny is a genius I doubt they are referring to the actual recognized definition of someone being a genius. Which is, I believe, folks who have an IQ of over like 140 or something. None of us know what his IQ is so making that distinction is rather impossible. But in more common terms we can look at brilliant minds of the world. Folks like Elon Musk, Stephen Hawking, Steve Jobs and Linus Torvalds. All those folks most would call geniuses because of what they've done in their life. I've no clue if they actually got an IQ that qualifies them as a by definition genius. Cerny certainly has a mind that approaches in a more calculated way than 95% of people on the planet.

When he speaks without a script you do not get a lot of "Ahhh", "ummm", "like" filler words. He's very deliberate in the things he says even when speaking off the cuff about pretty technical things. The guy certainly knows his stuff when it comes to technology. I didn't throw out 95% to disparage or call everyone else dumb for the record. Saying he is smarter than 95% of the people in the world is not me saying that 95% of the people in the world are therefore dumb. Although some would likely agree to that haha.

ethomaz

Banned
But, would that also not mean that devs will be squeezing even more out of the XsX for even longer?

Could it not be interpreted as the ps5 has the potential to be maxed within a few years?

Although, every gen, if you compare launch games to the end of cycle games, there is no comparison. I don’t honestly think that ease of development is going to make up the power difference
I never said that it will make up for the power difference.
It just devs doesn’t need to waste too much time ($$$) to reach that peak power.

Even on PS3 if devs take time and money they could reach the peak of the console.

Last edited:

Sota4077

Why would you name your game Quantum Error?, has there ever been a game that used the word Error in their title before?.

That isn't even the least cringe part of their company. Their first game was ripped pretty badly for being an asset flip from what I read about them at the time. They used higher quality assets, but it was an asset flip all the time. Then their comment trolling for a payday from Sony for exclusivity was eye popping uncomfortable even to read.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Its interesting that they say its being developed from a ps5 standpoint first, this makes sense. This appears to refute the notion being thrown around that lockheart would cripple games performance as some have stated the lead platform would be the weakest machine as apposed to the most powerful.

RayHell

The man is a genius and the console is designed with developers in mind...when it's essentially an x86_64 PC compatible made up largely of off the shelf components?
The console hype trains never cease to make me laugh.
You comment show clearly that you have very limited hardware knowledge but yet you are the one judging the head architect of a billion dollars business.

Last edited:
Here you go, dude. Go build me a PS5

giphy.gif

turtlepowa

Banned
I love how people imagine that Series X must be harder to program than PS3 and is not thought out while PS5 could be programmed by monkeys and is
well thought out.

Top Bottom