• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about the Wii Controller

BlackMage

Banned
I can't find the answer to this anywhere so sorry if this is a dumb question. I was wondering it the Wii-mote senses how far the controller is from the screen. what i mean is can you lunge the controller towards the tv in a pierce motion (like a sword) will it pick it up or is it a left/right/down/up motion only?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
GoldenEye 007 said:
Yes, it can gauge depth too. Like in Red Steel(or some other FPS, methinks), that is how you zoom in for some weapons.

has anyone on here actually used a sniper rifle in an fps with it yet?

IIRC, it doesn't sense distance, just motion along that axis. That is, it can't tell if you are ten feet from the screen or five feet from the screen, but it can tell if you move closer or further from the screen.

relyt9

catfish said:

Not that I know of... probably because none of the games available to the public have had a sniper in the game's arsenal. I wonder how it would work though. You could maybe count the zoom feature on Samus's gun, that's about the closest.

catfish said:

Far Cry uses it for the Wii. You push the Wiimote inwards a bit toward's the TV (or sensor bar) and that zooms you in.

donny2112

catfish said:

In IGN's preview of COD3, they used that functionality of the controller, IIRC. I thought other games had, too.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
platypotamus said:
IIRC, it doesn't sense distance, just motion along that axis. That is, it can't tell if you are ten feet from the screen or five feet from the screen, but it can tell if you move closer or further from the screen.

Is that entirely true? from what i understand, the wiimote is one point of the triangle (the other two points being the ends of the sensor bar). If that is true, distance can be easily "triangulated" using simple geometry.

So not only can it sense movement on that axis (within the wiimote itself), it can also determine distance and position using the sensor bar.

Top Bottom