• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question for Nintendo owners; now that every console and pc game is 4k standard...

Tranquil

I dunno. I don't know why 60 bucks seems to be the standard cost of "a videogame" and I don't know how much of my 60 bucks is going towards graphics.

Probably there is some guy out there who invested thousands in "home cinema" stuff. Buying the best TV in the shop and the best Blu Ray player and installing an awesome sound system. Then he sits down and watches the Transformers movies.

You could equally ask if high end PC users feel ripped off if they spent so much time and money on cutting edge systems while the best games of the decade are only on PlayStation.

It's amazing that this hobby has been around for decades and the same tired old arguments about "graphics" still persist.

Graphics are meaningless if the game is no good.
The Last of Us 2 looks amazing but the story is crap and the gameplay is uninteresting to me and so I don't know if I'm supposed to be happy I got such nice graphics for my 60 bucks?
Or should I feel let down cos my 60 bucks got me an overly long game with a nonsensical plot and dull gameplay.

I'd imagine a lot of people are similar to me.
I go out and buy "a TV". I might look at some specs but realistically I am looking at the size and price and using the range of available TVs in the shop to choose something that fits my home and my budget.
I couldn't tell you if a game is running at 30fps or 60fps or whatever. I will definitely notice when a game is chugging along and everything seems a bit choppy but if its not generally like that then I will put it down to a lot of stuff happening on screen and get over it in like 30 seconds.

The technical side of things is pretty boring to me because basically since the 1990s I would buy a console pick the games I want to play and then play them. That's about it.

I bought a PS4 because I felt it was the best option. Then the Switch was released and I bought that too because it seemed like a great console, which it totally is. At no point did I think "OK are these games going to be 720p or 4k and 30 or 60 fps... I wonder if there will be Blast Processing".

When I saw Halo Infinite here was my reaction.
"Looks cool."

Then on here everyone is screeching about "flat" graphics or whatever bullshit. OK.

OMG will Sony focus on 60fps or 4k for this generation?
Who fucking cares? Give me games.

The biggest gripe I have with the Switch is the insistence of releasing the handheld version of old games such as Witcher 3, Skyrim etc at full price. That's nonsense.

Otherwise I wouldn't be particularly hung up on graphics.

Graphics just aren't your thing, no problem.

Maestr0

I have a big pc, and honestly I don't care.
I enjoy my switch games, and when there an electric outage or I have to leave, my switch works and is with me, not my pc :p (also have an external battery so i can play more)

Tranquil

I don't care. I just started replaying Mass Effects and Splinter Cells Chaos Theory-Conviction-Blacklist. Good/fun games are good/fun games regardless.

You yourself said how you found out you are not a Nintendo fan. Maybe the answer to your question is that?

I'm setting my enjoyment of nintendo games aside.

Uusis

Banned
Why is resolution so big thing? FPS should be what gamers would like but no... I blame consoles for trying to look "as good as these machines can". Casual assholes...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm setting my enjoyment of nintendo games aside.

But enjoyment of games is the whole goddamn point. We buy games we enjoy. The quality of the graphics is not just about how many polygons or resolution, art style is a big factor. Something tells me you’re 12 years old and I’m wasting my time explaining this stuff to you.

Tranquil

The only people getting gipped are the one's who think they're getting their money's worth because a game is in 4k and not whether the game is actually good.

I prefer games in high resolution that are good. If it's high resolution and bad I'm not interested.

Zog

Banned
I don't think Switch games should cost as much as games on other systems. It's like paying the same standard price for a Ford Focus and a Yukon XL.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If I was that obsessive over resolution I would have pay extra money to create powerful gaming PC but the problem is PC either doesn't get most of the games I want at all or gets them really, really late which to me is not worth investment.
This entire gen most my favourite games I played didn't have technical marvel graphics but I love the art direction and gameplay.
I'm not paying money for high tech graphics...I'm playing money for my enjoyment and satisfaction.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
Most Nintendo games have great art direction and run at decent enough resolutions...

If you're into benchmarks instead of playing, I'd suggest 3DMark. If the problem is resolution, I'm pretty sure you can scale Flash games indefinitely as they're vector based. Have fun.

I am the biggest detractor of Nintendo for asking premium price for old standards but this is not how you try to do what you want to do.

Not every gamer lives in the US. Not every gamer has the kind of living conditions you seem to think they have.

Not every, not most.

I dont personally know anyone with a 4K tv.

My EU country has millions of PS consoles sold, plus all the rest of MS and Nintendo hardware and gaming pcs.

Gaming hardware and software NEEDS to drop in price regardless of 4k/720p/60fps/30fps/whatnot.

If companies cant drop the prices they must not invest as much as they do on developing them.

Period.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Have been playing Doom and Catherine Full Body today on my 55" Samsung Q90T in 720P. It’s absolutely fine. Given how much stuff Switch has I don’t mind the lower power.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Have been playing Doom and Catherine Full Body today on my 55" Samsung Q90T in 720P. It’s absolutely fine. Given how much stuff Switch has I don’t mind the lower power.
giphy.gif

Saruhashi

Banned
I reckon there are large parts of the gaming community that seem to be more interested in performance and benchmarks, hype for upcoming games and upcoming announcements of upcoming games, and also political analysis of games story content.

Fewer seem interested in actual games.

"720p is almost unplayable."
Hahahaha.

nordique

Still don’t have a 4K TV

just got a high end 1080p 65” Sony at end of 2016, so absolutely no need to upgrade

call me when 8k is standard lol 😂

Also, I don’t play switch on the tv. I use it almost exclusively on handheld because of my gaming lifestyle so - 720p on the small screen is actually fine

Last edited:

yurqqa

So you're ok with 720p? :goog_what:

I don't see numbers when I play a game. I also play old games on consoles and PC and if the game is good - who cares ?

I assume you had Xbox360 or PS3 where 95% of games were 720p.
Did you suffer through that generation ?

Switch is a portable console with the great hardware for portable. It also can be played on TV with a compromise and I'm totally ok with that.

yurqqa

720p?? Lol, 540p average more like it with soft images and terrible frames. People don’t buy Nintendo consoles for their graphical prowess, that’s for sure (outside of most first party titles).

Yes. It's Nintendo fans - they prefer old technology while others play another portable console with much better graphics.

Which is ?

P.S. Ok. There are phones and tablets with better hardware, but the game quality is not really comparable.

Last edited:

Tranquil

I don't see numbers when I play a game. I also play old games on consoles and PC and if the game is good - who cares ?

I assume you had Xbox360 or PS3 where 95% of games were 720p.
Did you suffer through that generation ?

Switch is a portable console with the great hardware for portable. It also can be played on TV with a compromise and I'm totally ok with that.

No I didn't game from 2002 through 2018. When I was gaming I had a 20" CRT monitor usually at 1280×1024. So even way back then I was gaming higher than 720p.

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
I’ve been playing more Switch lately than anything else. I think switch has been so much more fun to collect for than PS4, so I have more games to play. The TV to handheld idea was so well made that it’s really convenient for me, especially with kids and a wife hogging the tv!

Games look fine resolution-wise so I don’t really care about 4K

Last edited:
Yes. It's Nintendo fans - they prefer old technology while others play another portable console with much better graphics.

Which is ?

P.S. Ok. There are phones and tablets with better hardware, but the game quality is not really comparable.
I play the hell out of my switch, but I’ll be the first to admit that it’s running on some dated hardware with atrocious online capabilities. To your point, however, it’s the only viable console available, so you have to deal with it warts and all.

It's just missing the point buying Nintendo in the hopes of being on cutting-edge consumer TV media technology.

I inadvertently ended up owning all consoles this generation, even buying Rocket League on each platform, and I play as much on Switch as I do on PS4 or Xbone. The advantage of Switch besides the portability is the Nintendo exclusives, not just from the first party IPs but for games like "Moon"

Freeman

Banned
Imagine the graphics that could be produced on nextgen consoles if they went after 1080p instead of wasting out time with 4K...

Nintendo is right and DLSS will fall right into their lap, making the other ones that are chasing native 4K look silly in comparison.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Whatever. My PC monitor is 1440p and my TV, while 4k, never has anyone sitting close enough to it for the 4k to TRULY be a major benefit.

yurqqa

I also like the game to look good. And whe I bought PSP and Vita, U stopped playing DS and 3DS for some time because they looked outdated, but came back to them because of great games.

I'd really like Sony to make new portable console and would've bought it in a whim, but unfortunately it won't happen.

I'll definitely be ok with the switch for couple more years - Metroud and SMT are still to come to HD consoles and I totally believe in Nintendo and Atlus art direction skills - they'll look magnificent even in 720p.

P.S. My son currently plays BotW on TV. And if it reminds someone N64 game, they need to take the rose tint glasses off and watch some N64 gameplay on YouTube.

Tranquil

Whatever. My PC monitor is 1440p and my TV, while 4k, never has anyone sitting close enough to it for the 4k to TRULY be a major benefit.

I'm happy as long as it's 1440p or above, I can still be ok with 1080p. I sit close to my monitor so things like 4k or 720p really stand out to me.

Danjin44

Tranquil Tranquil I'm not sure what type of "answer" you are looking for, most people outside gaming forms don't care about high tech graphics, I mean Switch's sells number already speaks for itself.

Most people pay for a good time, not how advance the graphics are.....I'm sorry, thats the best answer I can give you.

Last edited:

yurqqa

I'm happy as long as it's 1440p or above, I can still be ok with 1080p. I sit close to my monitor so things like 4k or 720p really stand out to me.

Ah. So you are playing on a monitor. Then I understand why 720p look so bad for you.

I also played PS2 through TV tuner in my PC at one point and it looked awful.

Consoles are meant to be played on a TV. And even on my 65" 4K TV Switch looks good enough (unlike Wii on HD TV when it was released).

Now I feel your pain, but don't understand whey you argue with the others who most likely play on a TV. You compare 2 different experiences.

Top Bottom