• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

question re: anti-nepotism and hiring laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoplifter

Ok, so I've applied for a job with the City of Columbus, with the civil service commission. My father-in-law works for the city in the water dept. I disclosed this information on my application.

They let me know I can take the exam (which was an entire DAY LONG) for the position, and i do. I score in the top 5-6 so I should be afforded an interview. Yesterday they call my wife (since I was at work) and ask her who my relation is, my wife tells her.

Today they call me and tell me that 'it's our SUPERVISOR'S policy to not hire anyone who is related to another city employee into our dept.' Certainly this is an understandable position, but yet IT'S NOT IN THEIR RULES FOR EMPLOYMENT. I'd understand *yet be incredibly pissed that they had me take the test* if it were in the rules, but it's not.

Is this legal, given that it's an arbitrary 'office' policy, that can be waived at will and is not codified? Especially given that this is the City, and not a private employer.

Here are the rules for anyone interested. I take this all back if its in there, but I both read and searched it in acrobat and couldn't find anything. http://www.csc.columbus.gov/csc_rules.htm

shoplifter

I seriously wouldn't care if this job weren't $15k a year more than what I'm making now. I think she agrees with me though.

I asked because I know a few people around here deal with some of this stuff, like Drinky iirc.

shoplifter said:
I seriously wouldn't care if this job weren't $15k a year more than what I'm making now. I think she agrees with me though.

I asked because I know a few people around here deal with some of this stuff, like Drinky iirc.

Well in all seriousness it seems that the policy is only applied in that office. Could you apply for the same job somewhere in another dept. you relationship shouldn't disqualify you if you passed the exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom