• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questioning my hate for the wii

kingbean

So I recently picked up a wii to play some of my favorite gamecube games. It was 40 bucks versus the 80 for the gamecube.

I have it hooked up to my crt for retro games with component cable and something I've noticed is how much more accurate and snappier the pointer feels than I remember.

Thinking back about all my time on the Wii previously it was on an entrey level LCD tv from back in the day. So playing on a nearly lagless CRT makes so much of a difference that I might actually be able to finish Metroid Prime 3. I'll report back after a little more time, but this is almost revelatory because I've hated motion controls for over 10 years.

So maybe I was wrong gaf.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Wii on a CRT is pretty great, especially when you consider how it can also run several generations of retro games (whether purchased on the Wii shop or emulated) with perfect 240p output. The motion controls are excellent once you get used to their quirks. I loved the Wii in its heyday and I still love it now. Huge library of gems that are ignored because "lol waggle amirite?"

You're getting Sin & Punishment 2, please and thank you.

Last edited:

Shifty

It had its ups and downs. Unleashing waggle on the world was certainly one of the downs, but motion controls have grown out of that and into gyro stuff and sensor fusion. It's time to forgive and forget.

Last edited:
(whether purchased on the Wii shop or emulated)
Retro games from the Wii shop are emulated.

At this point, if you are to hack a Wii to play your ROMs you are better off getting a Raspberry Pie (or some other Single board computer) to run your emulators, it will be much more satisfying, and work better with modern tech (the wii doesn't accept many modern USB drives, the wii shop is closed, etc.).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Wii sports resort is one of my favorite games of all time. Mario Galaxy is amazing as well. There's a ton of rare games I have never even seen before that I stumble across to this day. And it still has the best version of RE4.

It was suffering to own a Wii at the time because nothing but actual garbage got released for it. Nowadays it's easy and cheap to get a Wii and a bunch of fantastic games to play on it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

At this point, if you are to hack a Wii to play your ROMs you are better off getting a Raspberry Pie (or some other Single board computer) to run your emulators, it will be much more satisfying, and work better with modern tech (the wii doesn't accept many modern USB drives, the wii shop is closed, etc.).
I was differentiating between purchased games and ROMs, that's all. I understand they are all emulated, technically speaking.

In my opinion, Raspberry Pi and other PC emulators are inferior to a Wii when it comes to playing native resolutions on a CRT. The Pi is not the perfect all-in-one solution for every gamer who wants to emulate old games, but neither is the Wii. Specifically, I would say to look elsewhere if you plan to play the Wii on an HD display. However, when it comes to getting old games to run pretty close to how they originally ran on a CRT, Wii is hard to beat.

In general, Pi is a compromised half-measure. You should either spend a bit more for some much-needed CPU power, or you could go with something like a hacked Wii or hacked PS2 if you happen to have a CRT lying around.

stranno

If you dont care about 240P WiiU is a way better option (and not much more expensive): Native GC, Wii and WiiU. Wii + WiiU homebrew. And WiiU Virtual Console, with an amazing Nintendo DS emulator (with Gamepad support, that makes it the closest DS experience you can find in any device).

HDMI lacks Full Range and the GC/Wii image scaler could have been waaaaaay better, but its fine.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
As ironic as it may sound only casuals thought that the Wii was ONLY for casuals (mostly fanboys of HD consoles and PC elitists who only care for "OMG 1080p/60fps photorealistic HD graphicz1zz"). ;)

The Wii had a plethora of great games (a lot of them being hidden gems)that focused on what really mattered (gameplay and visual style), Virtual Console (which was fantastic for those like me who never owned a Nintendo console before the GC) and of course it was fully backwards compatible with GC games. I also liked its design and its hardware was very robust. It was the first Nintendo console that i enjoyed so much.Having a Wii/DS/PS3/PSP was an insane combo in terms of variety!

Of course it also had a huge number of shovelware but that was to be expected due to its massive success and being relatively cheap to develop for (unlike PS3/Xbox360)

Last edited:
In general, Pi is a compromised half-measure. You should either spend a bit more for some much-needed CPU power, or you could go with something like a hacked Wii or hacked PS2 if you happen to have a CRT lying around.
Maybe, I would get a PS3 even for this, or a PC properly setup can output very low 'retro' resolutions (if you need more computing power)... still, I see that for some it may be the path of least resistance.

cireza

Last console to make a decent use of CRT TVs, especially for old games and emulators where you get 240p. Many games made the efforts to be optimized for 4/3 display as well as 16/9, even though some where only made for 16/9 which gives disappointing results on a 4/3 CRT (New Super Mario being the example that comes to mind).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Maybe, I would get a PS3 even for this, or a PC properly setup can output very low 'retro' resolutions (if you need more computing power)... still, I see that for some it may be the path of least resistance.
For sure, they all serve their purpose. If you don't have access to original hardware, PC is the best since it has so many more options for vsynch control, run-ahead, and so forth.

I'm also hopeful that FPGAs become more popular, because that seems like the best balance between cost and emulation accuracy.

So I recently picked up a wii to play some of my favorite gamecube games. It was 40 bucks versus the 80 for the gamecube.

I have it hooked up to my crt for retro games with component cable and something I've noticed is how much more accurate and snappier the pointer feels than I remember.

Thinking back about all my time on the Wii previously it was on an entrey level LCD tv from back in the day. So playing on a nearly lagless CRT makes so much of a difference that I might actually be able to finish Metroid Prime 3. I'll report back after a little more time, but this is almost revelatory because I've hated motion controls for over 10 years.

So maybe I was wrong gaf.

The Nintendo Wii was the first Nintendo console i ever purchased because i was interested to play some of its exclusives that seemed unique. It was the only console of the 7th generation that i bought, because i was a PC gamer back then as well and the "HD" twins had nothing that interested me, on the contrary, most of the games on those systems suffered from significantly poor framerate and sub-"HD" resolutions.

The games developed on the Nintendo Wii seemed much better designed to accommodate the limited hardware architecture and not compromise the performance of the titles on it for pure spectacle. The motion controls vary in their functionality from game to game. These are the games that i highly recommend for the Nintendo Wii:

Super Mario Galaxy & Super Mario Galaxy 2
Xenoblade Chronicles
Pandora's Tower
Sonic Colors
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Trauma Team
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Punch-Out!!
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Wii Sports Resort
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Rhythm Heaven Fever

kingbean

The Nintendo Wii was the first Nintendo console i ever purchased because i was interested to play some of its exclusives that seemed unique. It was the only console of the 7th generation that i bought, because i was a PC gamer back then as well and the "HD" twins had nothing that interested me, on the contrary, most of the games on those systems suffered from significantly poor framerate and sub-"HD" resolutions.

The games developed on the Nintendo Wii seemed much better designed to accommodate the limited hardware architecture and not compromise the performance of the titles on it for pure spectacle. The motion controls vary in their functionality from game to game. These are the games that i highly recommend for the Nintendo Wii:

Super Mario Galaxy & Super Mario Galaxy 2
Xenoblade Chronicles
Pandora's Tower
Sonic Colors
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Trauma Team
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Punch-Out!!
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Wii Sports Resort
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Rhythm Heaven Fever

I got them.

HotPocket69

Banned
Best thing about the Wii is that Cube backwards compatibility. It’s how I’m able to play Killer7 annually.

Also Muramasa

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wii on a CRT is pretty great, especially when you consider how it can also run several generations of retro games (whether purchased on the Wii shop or emulated) with perfect 240p output. The motion controls are excellent once you get used to their quirks. I loved the Wii in its heyday and I still love it now. Huge library of gems that are ignored because "lol waggle amirite?"

You're getting Sin & Punishment 2, please and thank you.
this person gets it.

240p on wii is mad

If you dont care about 240P WiiU is a way better option (and not much more expensive): Native GC, Wii and WiiU. Wii + WiiU homebrew. And WiiU Virtual Console, with an amazing Nintendo DS emulator (with Gamepad support, that makes it the closest DS experience you can find in any device).

HDMI lacks Full Range and the GC/Wii image scaler could have been waaaaaay better, but its fine.
Wii u doesn't support overscan so wii games won't appear as full screen on your modern 4k tv.

Wii with gc bc is the best option, wii u for wii u games.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You were wrong. 0 issues on my LCD with pointer either.

The pointer should be a standard control method by now.
Nintendo was browbeaten out of their own good idea. I think the jeers of Wii being a "casual console" touched a nerve among the higher-ups.

I've posted this video elsewhere, but it captures how I feel about pointer controls:

kingbean

There is still lag on the wiimote even on a CRT. So it's not perfect and I don't think I'll prefer it over m/kb or normal controller, but it doesn't feel nearly as cumbersome as I remember.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin

Other than ease of use and cheap, I would def not recommend a Pi for a dedicated emulator machine to someone who cares about all the 'ps involved, and goes as far as keeping a CRT around

ARM emulators aren't as developed than their x86 counter parts; mini ITX build would be the way to go.

Then again, most people aren't getting into "THIS NEEDS TO BE A PIXEL BY PIXEL RECREATION OF THE GAME PLAY," other than those FPGA nuts

Emulation on specific devices (Like a gaming console) will never be near as good as a PC; looking for a platform that can conform with the changes in emulators is the best option to go

For sure, they all serve their purpose. If you don't have access to original hardware, PC is the best since it has so many more options for vsynch control, run-ahead, and so forth.

I'm also hopeful that FPGAs become more popular, because that seems like the best balance between cost and emulation accuracy.
PC is the way to emulate

Nabbing something like a downscaler is the boss way to output to a CRT; either through a cheap HDMI>RCA converter (Latency is minimal if you know which cheap ones to look at, and sometimes do better on latency than more expensive scalers) or a full on expensive scaler.
Personally I have a both a down and up scaler and spent less than $100 on both and the latency is better than some of the A/V equipment I've fucked with in the past

Ban Puncher

TvfIY3f.jpg

If you are to do the same thing... Why would people who got SNES/NES classics never shut up that they can do their "piracy" on original hardware?

Anyway, I run my emulators on a PC hooked to my TV, I had a hacked PS3, and still own a Wii... I find the Wii is a poor excuse for an emulation box, given how you have to use the stupid wireless controller to manipulate the main interface, and how limited the customization options are, so unless you plan on using it on a CRT, I see no compelling reason to use it for that purpose (some people really want to play the Wii games, which I can emulate on my PC anyway... so the Wii is never coming out of its drawer).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
PC is the way to emulate

Nabbing something like a downscaler is the boss way to output to a CRT; either through a cheap HDMI>RCA converter (Latency is minimal if you know which cheap ones to look at, and sometimes do better on latency than more expensive scalers) or a full on expensive scaler.
Personally I have a both a down and up scaler and spent less than $100 on both and the latency is better than some of the A/V equipment I've fucked with in the past
I dabbled in this world and it is not for me. By "dabbled" I mean I checked out Framemeisters, OSSCs, converting into RGB, the gamut of Extron Emotia-type hardware, using GroovyMAME and run-ahead and Vsync calibration and hacked ATI drivers to output true 240p, etc etc etc

Shmup players are on the cutting edge when it comes to low latency gaming (kind of hard to play these games otherwise), but setting up a PC for the "right" kind of emulation was too much for me. Perhaps someday.

Besides, why downscale to a CRT when I can use a VGA monitor? I use a standard CRT if playing with native hardware (or equivalent) whenever possible, but if I'm dealing with the Dreamcast, the 360, or the occasional PC game (though I don't currently have a gaming PC) I prefer to just plug in a PC CRT screen.

lucius

I didnt mind motion controls at first but then I hated it for years, now I am back to appreciating it and the Wii in general.

You can play GC games with a wired Dual Shock 4 on Wii it works great. Also you can use SNES Mini controllers connected to the Wiimote , though I prefer the SNES mini over the Wii for 8bit/16bit games. You can use the classic controller also for emulation, but that controller is not my favorite the buttons bother me. I will probably never get rid of my Wii now, too bad when they all die we will have lost a legend.

kingbean

In regards to the 240p stuff. Like I said I'm running a 1-chip SNES with this collection of games.

Please note that while I have 2 copies of Mario RPG I sold 1 recently and got Final Fantasy II and Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Fb4oKKf.jpg

Fox Mulder

It was full of shit shovelware, was weak, and built around a gimmick.

It still had amazing Nintendo games and some third party hidden gems. It was arcade lightgun heaven. GC BC was nice. The VC was at a peak that will never be matched. It was probably the best way to get into TG16 or Neogeo back then besides piracy.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I dabbled in this world and it is not for me. By "dabbled" I mean I checked out Framemeisters, OSSCs, converting into RGB, the gamut of Extron Emotia-type hardware, using GroovyMAME and run-ahead and Vsync calibration and hacked ATI drivers to output true 240p, etc etc etc

Shmup players are on the cutting edge when it comes to low latency gaming (kind of hard to play these games otherwise), but setting up a PC for the "right" kind of emulation was too much for me. Perhaps someday.

Besides, why downscale to a CRT when I can use a VGA monitor? I use a standard CRT if playing with native hardware (or equivalent) whenever possible, but if I'm dealing with the Dreamcast, the 360, or the occasional PC game (though I don't currently have a gaming PC) I prefer to just plug in a PC CRT screen.
I guess you can say I've "dabbled," in the FGPA scene a little, but I've never ventured forth on a quest into it myself, mainly because that's a slippery slope with your wallet hahahaha

Your intelligence is quickly gaining my romantic affections booboo <3
Though you confused the fuck out of a IT nerd like me with how you phrased it lmao

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I guess you can say I've "dabbled," in the FGPA scene a little, but I've never ventured forth on a quest into it myself, mainly because that's a slippery slope with your wallet hahahaha

Your intelligence is quickly gaining my romantic affections booboo <3
Though you confused the fuck out of a IT nerd like me with how you phrased it lmao
Sorry for any confusion. I am an amateur hobbyist for this stuff -- only diving in to learn things specific to my own setup and aims -- so I am probably using the wrong terms for some of these things.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Sorry for any confusion. I am an amateur hobbyist for this stuff -- only diving in to learn things specific to my own setup and aims -- so I am probably using the wrong terms for some of these things.
Totes fine; I try not to be the type to nit pick. Long as I get what you're saying you could be speaking Elvish and I wouldn't care xD

Fuck now I want to dig out my modded Wii and dick around with that again...

kingbean kingbean
I completely forgot; if you do end up modding your Wii for more functionality, DEFINITELY look into the mods for Wii games. There's some crazy stuff out there that will lead to all sorts of shenanigans

Some of those SSBs mods are crazy cool

dan76

I love the Wii. Got GXLoader set up with a USB and around 30 great games ready to go. Lots of lightgun stuff, Mario, Sin and Punishment. All the good stuff. I also got into patching some Japanese only wad files that for some reason wouldn't run on my pal 4.3. So stuff like Starblade, Solvalou and Mr.Do! are all on my home channel. It's convenience really.

I guess the pointer isn't as accurate as a real light gun, but I don't think I ever played a lightgun game in an arcade that wasn't damaged somehow. The aiming was always off, so playing Ghost Squad is actually better than the arcade for me.

kingbean

Totes fine; I try not to be the type to nit pick. Long as I get what you're saying you could be speaking Elvish and I wouldn't care xD

Fuck now I want to dig out my modded Wii and dick around with that again...

kingbean kingbean
I completely forgot; if you do end up modding your Wii for more functionality, DEFINITELY look into the mods for Wii games. There's some crazy stuff out there that will lead to all sorts of shenanigans

Some of those SSBs mods are crazy cool

It's modded and I've got all my games backed up to an external HDD. I'm too lazy to change out discs when I can just load them off a usb. Don't worry it's all on the level, I like having old games in my bookshelf.

eminydax

Neo Member
the cod games on wii and wiiu had great pointer controls. especially ghosts. you had to heavily customize for sure. never noticed lag

Susurrus

Bruh, get No More Heroes (both games). Those sat in my backlog entirely way too long. I picked them up soon after release, but didn't play them until 2017/18.

Also, while Red Steel was trash, Red Steel 2 was pretty great for use of the Motion+.

kingbean

Bruh, get No More Heroes (both games). Those sat in my backlog entirely way too long. I picked them up soon after release, but didn't play them until 2017/18.

Also, while Red Steel was trash, Red Steel 2 was pretty great for use of the Motion+.

I've got the first game but not the 2nd one yet.

Smasher89

Playing through Xenoblade chronicles again first time since i beat it in 2012, its even better now that X snd 2 teached me more about the combat system, just get that game and you'll be amazed such a game works on the wii at all.

These days the only aspects the gamecube has over the wii hardware-wise are game boy player compatibility and I think slightly better component output? Not sure on that last one, and as for the former, emulating those games on PC tends to be superior anyway. Plus you can't play Wii games on GCN, but you can do the opposite provided you don't accidentally get one of those late-run gimped Wiis.

While I am not a huge fan of motion controls, there's a reason I still own a Wii even now, despite having gotten rid of my Wii U a good while ago now. The library is solid between GCN & Wii. Plus the ability to homebrew and always able to redownload Virtual Console games even after the Shop Channel has been retired, it's all pretty stinkin' nice, I have to say.

These days the only aspects the gamecube has over the wii hardware-wise are game boy player compatibility and I think slightly better component output? Not sure on that last one, and as for the former, emulating those games on PC tends to be superior anyway. Plus you can't play Wii games on GCN, but you can do the opposite provided you don't accidentally get one of those late-run gimped Wiis.

While I am not a huge fan of motion controls, there's a reason I still own a Wii even now, despite having gotten rid of my Wii U a good while ago now. The library is solid between GCN & Wii. Plus the ability to homebrew and always able to redownload Virtual Console games even after the Shop Channel has been retired, it's all pretty stinkin' nice, I have to say.
Wiis component output is pretty good (provided you get monster brand/nintendo), you'd be mad to spend the money on the cube cables for cube games.

For one thing, both wii and GameCube games look slightly dithered due to the small 2mb framebuffer for games. Better cables can't solve that.

I remember the excitement before it came out, but I didn't play my Wii much. I didn't like the motion controls a lot, and preferred other devices.

Probably missed a few of its best games, but I struggled to force myself to play it. At least I played most of the classics.

Top Bottom