• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick-time events. What were the best (and worst) uses this generation?

Retro

I'm not sure if I have played any games with QTEs in them this year. What would the general definition of a QTE be?

An input (or series of inputs) that does not behave the way it does during the majority of the game and occurs during an otherwise non-interactive sequence for 'cinematic purposes', usually with very little time or warning.

kswiston

Quicktime events are only tolerable-good as limit-break type moves in jrpgs. In everything else, the best they can hope to be is "not that bad".

If we are talking about the entire generation, I suppose that Resident Evil 5 was up there for me as one of the worst. Tomb Raider had the worst QTEs of what I played this past year.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I rather liked God of War: Chains of Olympus and
having to use the button to push away your daughter and leave her behind in the Fields of Elysium
. Heartbreaking.

I don't know if this is best but

WWE 2K14

I kind of like how it did quick times for the "WrestleMania Moments." Basically, in the single player portion of the game, you're playing through a history of wrestlemania, and most of the match you control the wrestler who wins the match (historically) and you basically just beat down and wear your opponent, but there are some circumstances where the game "takes over" to re-enact a famous moment in WrestleMania. Some reviewers didn't like this because it really takes the control out of your hands and into a scripted sequence of quick time button presses... But, hear me out, wrestling is a staged athletic theatre, and, really, if you want to recreate a "Hogan No Sell" or what have you, then you have to take power away from the player to recreate that moment.

They also use it well in the Royal Rumble, where when eliminating a guy near the ropes, you have to follow a handful of button presses... You initiate this litle contest and depending on how worn down your opponent is or how worn down you are, it requires me precise presses.

Also, when getting pinned. When you're pinned, a meter comes up and you have to press "A" at the exact moment in the middle of a moving bar... This isn't entirely a quick time but it's similar, really needs to be timed well, and it's much better than the old fashioned "MASH EVERY BUTTON AS FAST AS POSSIBLE" because it does allow for some kick outs when you really shouldn't be able to kick out.

Maybe not the best, but memorable for me.

NGnhGjU.png

I'll let you decide if this is the best or the worst.

maxcriden

An input (or series of inputs) that does not behave the way it does during the majority of the game and occurs during an otherwise non-interactive sequence for 'cinematic purposes', usually with very little time or warning.

There is a button prompt appearing on screen and you have to press said button fast or something bad will happen (e.g. you die).

Okay, that's pretty much what I thought, thanks. I don't think I have played any of those...maybe in the W101 demo? Didn't really care for it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Best: The Wonderful 101, the game finds a way to make the QTE fun, regardless you fail or not.

Worse: Sonic Unleashed, grind the game to a halt in the Sonic section and they were terrible in the Werehog boss fight and in the Super Sonic boss fight.

Top Bottom