• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R&B is coming back strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

B.J. The Chicago Kid - Pineapple now-laters
Cr4r3.jpg

Pretty good stuff, has an old school feel to it while still being modern.
Sample Track
It's an album so you'll have to buy off Amazon or Itunes

F.U.E.G.O.

it never went away

ctrl-F: nikkiya, kalenna, diddy dirty money, jade alston… smdh. dawn richard is here at least. frank ocean & HTDW... lmbo

why is it so difficult for ppl to write about frank ocean /miguel / the weeknd without almost always including a dig or dismissive sweeping statement about r&b included too, or some unhelpful OTT praise about how they were changing music (hint: it is never, ever a good idea to write that anything is "changing" music).

so many ~thinkpieces~ on this ish as well: 1, 2, 3, 4.
It did go away. Notice I did name some R&B artist that I did like for the past couple of years, but I also said that the artist wasn't really popular and that the most popular R&B were trash. Now it doesn't seem that way at all.

I also said in OP that I left out albums/mixtapes on purpose because I think it would have been lame if I just named everything this year within one post. I'm a fan of Nikkiya, speakher was pretty decent and diddy dirty money doesn't exist anymore...

There are way much more "unknown artist" I've named besides Frank Ocean and Weeknd so I think it's a bit odd you decided to focus upon them. I named them mostly because if I don't there would be posts talking about how I forgot Frank Ocean and Weeknd and that those are the only two I need to hear(yet there were still posts like that in this thread). Also, not sure how you could deny the influence they have had within the industry. Both became incredibly popular just off free albums.

I didn't know there were other think pieces on it though, I was just randomly listening to music and happened to notice how much R&B I was feeling this year compared to the last 5 years and there's no doubting it is coming back strong. I will read them though, thank you.

But feel free to contribute some albums and mixtapes that is what I want people to do.

I am doubtful about strong. Probably too bitter to really put the time aside to give it a fair shot.

More of it is because Where are the singing groups? That is what most of my stuff is.

With solo stuff it doesn't work as well. You have to carry the whole song. You need to be like Michael Jackson level of ability and perfectionist to do that.
R&B is more about emotion and feelinging and 1 person doing the whole thing most likely comes off as whiny or arrogant depending on the point of the tune.

I knew of Kut Klose via Keith Sweat but never anything from them until yesterday. For 16 years I may of only flipped by a video of them back in the 90s. I happened to get "I Like" on Pandora. Just a quality slow jam nothing remarkable but still good.

I'm too pissed at the lack of mainstream accolades for the greats to care about the current maybe greats.

Reckoner

I believe that Tony Williams is actually Kanye's cousin. I'm only familiar with "Another You" but that's great track, probably the best thing Ye was on this year.

I read more that one user review (critics generally thought highly of it) that complained that "Losing You" outshone all the other tracks, that they were basically filler. I could see how someone would think that after one or two listens, but the EP as a whole really grow on me, now I love every track.

It's very true that RnB (especially of the male variety) enjoyed kind of a renaissance this year, in terms of both creative output and acceptance. The success of some projects, like How to Dress Well, Frank Ocean, The Weeknd, demonstrate how the barriers that used to exist in the minds of "indie"/rock listeners or "urban" listeners is starting to become eroded. Of course, there are still some people that will reflexively:

To contribute, here's a track off of a 2013 EP by Inc. (formerly Teen Inc.), that I'm really looking forward to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voeZiioqR5s

and another off of their last EP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXwdgRRNyFs

I find that Losing You and Lovers in the Parking Lot have both a different feeling from the rest of the tracks of the EP. Somehow, different production values. The rest of the EP has an 80s pop vibe - reminding me of the first Whitney Houston's album -, while those two songs have a more modern approach.

genjiZERO

So maybe less R&B and more Soul/Funk, but does anyone have any recommendations for contemporary artists who write in a similar vein as Earth, Wind and Fire?

I am doubtful about strong. Probably too bitter to really put the time aside to give it a fair shot.

More of it is because Where are the singing groups? That is what most of my stuff is.

With solo stuff it doesn't work as well. You have to carry the whole song. You need to be like Michael Jackson level of ability and perfectionist to do that.
R&B is more about emotion and feelinging and 1 person doing the whole thing most likely comes off as whiny or arrogant depending on the point of the tune.

I knew of Kut Klose via Keith Sweat but never anything from them until yesterday. For 16 years I may of only flipped by a video of them back in the 90s. I happened to get "I Like" on Pandora. Just a quality slow jam nothing remarkable but still good.

I'm too pissed at the lack of mainstream accolades for the greats to care about the current maybe greats.
I can see that. Some of my favorite R&B albums are from groups like Go For Your Guns - isley brothers. I kind of miss the instruments the most though tbh. I think some of what I posted may appeal to you but quite a few things I posted throughout the thread are more 90s rnb/neo soul.

Still looking through some of the albums but this is my favorite so far, its super smooth, but doesn't bore me like a lot of R&B.
Glad you enjoy it! I do really enjoy it a lot a lot

So maybe less R&B and more Soul/Funk, but does anyone have any recommendations for contemporary artists who write in a similar vein as Earth, Wind and Fire?
Hmm, did you try bj the chicago kid I posted here? It's not reallyv funk though

If you didn't like that then I'll have to wait till I get home and look on my computer. Assuming you mean from this year

DominoKid

why is it so difficult for ppl to write about frank ocean /miguel / the weeknd without almost always including a dig or dismissive sweeping statement about r&b included too, or some unhelpful OTT praise about how they were changing music (hint: it is never, ever a good idea to write that anything is "changing" music).

so many ~thinkpieces~ on this ish as well: 1, 2, 3, 4.

i don't like it either, but its only natural that it'd happen when all these writers are approaching it from an "indie rock" perspective. i don't mean that so much literally as much as a general mindset these writers operate from.

honestly, while i like those artists, one of the reasons i think they get so much hype is because of how they came up. if they came up through primarily black radio & audiences, you wouldn't hear nearly the same level of admiration for these artists. but because they came up from unconventional avenues and approach r&b in "unconventional" ways (the " " is necessary here because it's more imagined then real imo), it's safe for these writers to like it and ruminate endlessly over it.

they'd never dedicate these type discussions to an artist like the-dream who IMO is more deserving of the press than any of these cats. i admit i'm biased because he is my favorite r&b artist ever, but dude is just a master of writing, structure & production in a way that the rest of the field just can't compare. then again i love structure & focus in music. some people like their music a little more freeform.

ultimately though i think the thinkpieces are necessary, although i wish they were done "in the moment" rather than looking in the rearview. because a lot of the things they touch on have always been readily evident.

just my .02

The fact dream has written huge hits but no one messes with his music like that is always odd to me. I agree he deserves the press because I do feel like he certainly influenced some of these new RnB artist, but if he didn't get it in the past two albums,I can't see him ever getting it

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It's coming back, but it's got a loooooooong way to go to catch up to the glory days - but there was some great stuff this year, the stuff I know has all been covered already in here though.

I still remember that shot of Elle walking out on the BET Awards, what a way to see her for the first time, damn.

When did he say that? I've been only playing Archandroid on repeat for the past 2 years and just downloaded Frank Ocean this summer.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I love The Archandroid! Like top 5 album for me, along with Erykah Badu's Mama's Gun. If you haven't checked out her other releases (Metropolis - The Chase and The Audition), I highly recommend them. But I digress. I'm really into Neo Soul (another dying subgenre). I really am coming up with a blank for this year's music. The fact that Frank Ocean's and Brandy's albums is all I'm thinking about is.........telling. I really like a few songs on Channel Orange, but on the whole.....not my style I suppose. He could have a great future in music though. The Weeknd is alright, but he's a little too rough for me. I like the smooth customers in my R&B.

To the person asking about some Earth, Wind, and Fire type music, try Lee Fields and the Expressions. He has two albums; My World and Faithful Man. To me his music is not as upbeat as EWF, but it's plenty soul, in the Al Green vein I suppose.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
great OP, minus Usher lol

Elle V and Miguel have 2 of my favorite albums this year. great stuff.

I think the Weekend and Frank Ocean are a bit overrated. Orange was boring as hell, with a couple of good songs.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I should give Dream a better chance. Fancy was that shit for the longest time, certain.

This is more Soul/Folk music than strictly R&B, but here you go.

Lianne La Havas - Forget

Her voice....

DominoKid

I love The Archandroid! Like top 5 album for me, along with Erykah Badu's Mama's Gun. If you haven't checked out her other releases (Metropolis - The Chase and The Audition), I highly recommend them. But I digress. I'm really into Neo Soul (another dying subgenre). I really am coming up with a blank for this year's music. The fact that Frank Ocean's and Brandy's albums is all I'm thinking about is.........telling. I really like a few songs on Channel Orange, but on the whole.....not my style I suppose. He could have a great future in music though. The Weeknd is alright, but he's a little too rough for me. I like the smooth customers in my R&B.

since you mentioned Janelle...i'm really conflicted on her. she's obviously very talented, but I thought the Archandroid was terrible. it had a few good songs but overall it just lacked focus to me, it sounds like a hodgepodge of ideas and sounds that never got fully developed. i'd love to see what she could do with either an executive producer guiding her or a strict sound direction. something more like Metropolis Suite I. she has a great album in her. i know she does.

I should give Dream a better chance. Fancy was that shit for the longest time, certain.

if you do, start from the beginning. his sound gets heavier on every album.

The fact dream has written huge hits but no one messes with his music like that is always odd to me. I agree he deserves the press because I do feel like he certainly influenced some of these new RnB artist, but if he didn't get it in the past two albums,I can't see him ever getting it

if he doesnt get it for Love IV it wont happen. i'm expecting big things from that album. he's taken it up a notch w/ each official album so i'm holding him to it. 1977 feels like practice for Love IV.

since you mentioned Janelle...i'm really conflicted on her. she's obviously very talented, but I thought the Archandroid was terrible. it had a few good songs but overall it just lacked focus to me, it sounds like a hodgepodge of ideas and sounds that never got fully developed. i'd love to see what she could do with either an executive producer guiding her or a strict sound direction. something more like Metropolis Suite I. she has a great album in her. i know she does.
I want her to finish Metropolis before she does! I get so pissed when I can't hear the first three tracks of the album all together.... That is definitely one CD you can't put on shuffle.

Speaking of Trey Songz, anyone hear Feel so good ft Carl Thomas?

IrishNinja

good thread tguys, id been wanting to hear some good R&B too
maccas told me channel orange was hardcore hip-hop doe

What yall know bout THIS:
0000059708_500.jpg

some of that british garage rnb. Craig David was and still is the shit, but his first album goes.

honestly one of my favorites, i still revisit it & some acoustics. anything else he do on that level?
kept meaning to find out, him & musiq soulchild both

Did you check out Arima Ederra in the OP? Kind of has a neo soul feel to it, what did you think about it?
Man....you just don't know how much I agree with you with this post lol
if he doesnt get it for Love IV it wont happen. i'm expecting big things from that album. he's taken it up a notch w/ each official album so i'm holding him to it. 1977 feels like practice for Love IV.

We'll have to see. I feel like he is kind of being a perfectionist when it comes to that album too.

Did you check out Arima Ederra in the OP? Kind of has a neo soul feel to it, what did you think about it?

Man....you just don't know how much I agree with you with this post lol

We'll have to see. I feel like he is kind of being a perfectionist when it comes to that album too.

Yes, I did listen to Arima Ederra and I liked it very much. I was reminded of Sa-Ra, Soulquarians, Badu; good stuff, thank you. That's my lane.

:-( at the Archandroid hate, tho. What people dislike about it is what I love about it. I feel like she is so diverse musically and so out there.....I don't know, I just really dig it.

Rarity

Without contributing anything useful, I'm just going to say that Usher peaked with 8701.

Anyways, thanks for this thread. Some great suggestions here.

B.J. The Chicago Kid - Pineapple now-laters
Cr4r3.jpg

Pretty good stuff, has an old school feel to it while still being modern.
Sample Track
It's an album so you'll have to buy off Amazon or Itunes

Ok. Bought this album after reading this thread. WOW. Great album all the way through....gonna be listening to this for a while!

Kntj

I never listened to a whole R&B album before and I've disliked whatever I've heard on radio, but Frank Ocean's album became one of my favorite albums this year. I'll have to look more into this genre.

I wasn't expecting to...but I am BOPPING to Fantasia's new single "Lose to Win"...

That The Commodores "Nightshift" sample is doing it for me...
I don't even want to click tbh lol. I'm not even sure how I forgot Jessie Ware honestly. My grandma loves her lol.

Im going to make a post later with more music. Haven't been able to lately cause I wiped out my old pc and just been waiting for my new one so I can move everything on my external to it

There's a lot of good stuff in here.

I'll add this since it hasn't been mentioned yet.
front.jpg

You can listen to it here.

This would be excellent if not for his vocals, which he needs to work on exclusively with a coach. They're not terrible, but you can definitely hear the hit and miss ranges. Production and everything is fine otherwise.

careful

The World Famous Tony Williams - King or the Fool

M4NWy.jpg

He has worked with Kanye since College Dropout. Ignore the "The World Famous" in his name. This is a pretty great album, although I hate how many skits are on it, but thankfully the skits are actually their own tracks and not blended into songs, so you can just delete it and have the album play. (shout out to peterboy)
Sample Track

JMSN - †Priscilla†
Ko6bN.jpg

This isn't amazing or anything but it's definitely pretty decent. There are comparisons between him and The Weeknd, but I feel like there is enough difference between the two. Has potential though and this is free
Link

I think you might dig B.J. The Chicago Kid album too.

Glad you like it! I was curious if anyone was going to post about it cause the lane she is in is rarely approached by new singers I feel.

Well, haha, I've honestly forgotten a quite a few albums from this year, that's why I just put 5 in OP and I figured I'd update every now and then with another album or two. This thread has helped me organized my music a bit too.

Sheeit, that track with Kanye (Another You) is so damn good.

To the person asking about some Earth, Wind, and Fire type music, try Lee Fields and the Expressions. He has two albums; My World and Faithful Man. To me his music is not as upbeat as EWF, but it's plenty soul, in the Al Green vein I suppose.

Yes! This. He's definitely more like Al Green, or Bill Withers considering most of his songs involve bittersweet relationship stuff, or infidelity.

I like Wish You Were Here quite a bit.

This thread has some good suggestions got BJ and Miguel's new CD and some Cocaine 80's. Bj kinda reminds me of D'Angelo I'm liking the tape so far.
EDIT new 80's tape already posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom