• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R. Mika's popularity in Street Fighter is baffling

Goodstyle

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...fighter-5s-r-mika-might-be-force-women-games/

Read an article from a feminist defending her character, and I'm just at a loss.

Never mind the fact that she was terrible and unfun in Alpha 3 (one of the weakest characters in the game for those who haven't played), but isn't she a little transparent to anyone? I mean, she's basically like a woman from a Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur game shoved into Street Fighter. I know that she's a wrestler, and I know that wrestling girls are supposed to be exploitative, but that doesn't make it any less exploitative.

She's a character designed from the ground up to appeal to the male gaze, which is where most of her support from over the years has come from. Almost no one who wanted this character back over the years was hyped about her moveset, they mostly just talked about her ass, but when you tell them as much they try to argue what a well thought out character she is.

I don't mind scantily clad characters in video games, but let's not act like Mika is anything more than transparent fan-service. No one playing Soul Calibur is pretending Ivy is anything more than she appears, so the same should apply here. Mika is just another E cupped, huge hipped, tiny-waisted fighting game girl, so the support she is getting from people who normally come down on that sort of thing is confusing.

I mean, she literally has a move where she and her equally busty friend smother her opponent with their asses as an attack, it's so out of place. It's like something out of a harem anime, but nope it's in Street Fighter, and apparently everyone loves it.

FluxWaveZ

Almost no one who wanted this character back over the years was hyped about her moveset, they mostly just talked about her ass, but when you tell them as much they try to argue what a well thought out character she is.

Are you sure?

And whatever the case may have been in the past, her move set looks amazing in SFV, so it was worth bringing her back for that alone.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
She was already in a Street Fighter, but now that she's in another Street Fighter it's not Street Fighter?

Tan

because
rmika-ringjump.gif

She's fucking awesome, and it's not because she's a fanservice character, I like her because she's a badass wrestler.

I main Zangief, so I can't wait to check her out.

L33T

Banned
Her taunt charges her V Trigger while she smack-talks the opponent, plus its used as a block or she can throw the microphone at the opponent.

How could I not like her?

Skilletor

One of my favorite characters in ALpha 3 and in SF period. It has nothing to do with her being designed for the "male gaze," or whatever. In fact, her personality was so childish and bubbly that it's difficult for me to see her as sexual at all.

Fuck all you people that can't get that people like different things and try to make others feel bad for liking the things they do.

Busaiku

I mean, she literally has a move where she and her equally busty friend smother her opponent with their asses as an attack, it's so out of place. It's like something out of a harem anime, but nope it's in Street Fighter, and apparently everyone loves it.
There's a character that smothers themself in oil and (basically) shoots you out of his butt.
There's a green Brazilian that spews electricity and is crazy cause why not.
There's a character who has his dong on display cause he doesn't care.

Have you ever played Street Fighter.

joe2187

Banned
Her moveset in Alpha reminded me alot of King in Tekken...which is the reason I played her alot in Alpha.

She's got a fun personality as a character which made her fun to play, regardless of how much I could barely win with her.

Also, how many female wrestlers do you get to play in fighting games? R Mika was my favorite just on that alone.

Nyoro SF

I think she looks really cool honestly. Also tiny-waisted?

I would disregard the past from long ago and accept the character as she's designed now. And as now, she's a sexy and goofy fighter with a wrestling repertoire that really stands out from the rest of the SFV cast. Popular? I dunno, the definition of "popular" tends to change based on whoever is talking.

Maybe but she wasn't popular in the past and people mostly talked about her butt attacks, but I think now she'll experience a lot of newfound popularity given that she now has a full-fledged style and moveset which helps you appreciate her character more.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
If you are going to talk about R. Mika being built for the male gaze, you have to bring up Cammy and most of the other female combatants. Mika is fun in a game with a lot of serious characters. That's it. She was also MIA for years, so it's cool to see her given a new lease on life.

Momentary

Banned
I liked her in Alpha 3 because she was just damn cool and had character. Plus, unlike DoA women, she actually has muscles like a fighter and doesn't look like some kind of Anime runway model. Good move on Capcoms part to not be ashamed to add some weight and muscle to Women. I mean, doesn't she weigh over 150lbs? Capcom showing people how it's done if you ask me.

Remiri

Neo Member
I think that you need to look at female pro wrestlers in general. Plenty of them having costume designs that are meant to be flashy and over the top. Also, it is not always about the 'male gaze'. I understand the genres are different but use bayonetta as an example of a female character that is strong and not built strictly for that purpose.

She kicks ass, plays by her own rules, and is not afraid to show some skin. Just as there is no problem with a male character being muscular and shirtless, you shouldn't have a problem with a female character that is done in a similar fashion.

Producer

Ya she's fanservice, but in SF5 she looks fun to play. Didnt care for her in A3 but i'll probably check her out in this one.

Also yeah, alot of fighting fans/players are into wrestling

notworksafe

She's a pro wrestler. She called a goddamn ring into the fight for a Super Attack. In V she calls in a tag team partner to smash fools. She also cuts a promo on someone as a V-Skill move. That's as pro wrasslin as it gets.

It's not hard to see why she'd be popular among hardcore FG fans, many of whom are also big into WWE and Pro Wrestling.

Sapiens

Ivy in SC2 was an amazing, amazing character - and she's a pretty cool design.

I'm wish they would design the male characters to look more like me though. It's not like the world is full of these 6' men with perfect arms and washboard stomachs. I mean, people who find those characters appealing just baffle me.

mStudios

People complaining about boobs and asses in a game where you literally play with evil incarnations, a Native Indian King, Guy who steals souls, and 95% revealing dudes(wearing only underwear).

Street fighter is the game which has more representation about races, body types, etc than any other game has ever done.

But still, boobs and asses are bad.

Beats me.

Momentary

Banned
How come no one is bringing up this sexy ass beast. You ask me, I think some people had heart attacks when they saw this specimen today. He's showing more skin than she is.

bc809d75800668f4484296d310b7779e.jpg

MightyKAC

R. Mika is one of those (very rare) female characters that uses her femininity (and NOT her sexuality) to not only entice male gamers but to also empower female gamers as well.

She's about power and style.

Very hammy, and very ridiculous style yes but it's also very genuine too.

Skilletor

Also like how people apparently can't like a character that isn't top tier apparently. Why use a character that you have fun with when you can use one that's good!

V-Mika was awesome.

I find Mika to be subversively sexualized, in the way that Bayonetta. She's conscious of her sexiness and is aggressive about it. She seems very in control of her womanhood, regardless of how much skin she's showing. I think she's a strong character and her muscular body is a welcome addition to the line up.

Also, you argue against Mika, yet you're cool with Cammy, who was quiet literally part of a harem of kidnapped women for M. Bison? Come on now.

Kouichi

I always thought she was appealing because she is one of the few female grapplers in fighting games. Grapplers are usually portrayed as big bulky men and R.Mika is the exception.

As for her appearance in SFV, she has a hyper and fun personality and an awesome moveset. I could care less about the fanservice.

Top Bottom