• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Race Driver GRID demo available on the MP

jee

Haunted One said:
A real pity that the replay function for such an amazing looking game is that limited - even moreso on the PC if I didn't miss something (lol "superior" version with worse replay)

-no way to stick with one of the cinematic camera angles
-no way to choose which car to follow (wow, there was that amazing crash behind me, but I CAN'T CHECK IT OUT in the replay because I can only see myself driving far ahead of the pack)
-no way to do slo-mo (at least on the PC version, since the replay controls are automatically bound to the F# buttons) If I play the game with a pad, let me fucking control the replay with the pad (trigger and sticks like on the consoles).

Infuriatingly stupid. Please, someone tell me I just don't get it and missed the advanced options button™ or something.
yeah its amazing how the replay is so identical to the one in dirt.. they should have added more features.

however, you can do slo mo by pausing it, and then by using left stick you can set the playback speed by yourself. then again you said you can't control it with the pad, so i don't know whats wrong with your game :/

Haunted

jee said:
yeah its amazing how the replay is so identical to the one in dirt.. they should have added more features.

however, you can do slo mo by pausing it, and then by using left stick you can set the playback speed by yourself. then again you said you can't control it with the pad, so i don't know whats wrong with your game :/
brb, I'll try again. I'm more than happy to make an ass out of myself if it means the replay isn't as bad as I thought it was :p

But yeah, the other two complaints hold up - and I had them since the earlier Race Driver games. Sucks that they don't implement these small things. Seems like such a no-brainer. Let me watch the whole field of cars, damnit.

edit: I mean, fucking F1 Racing Championship, and all the Crammond F1 games had the option, and these came out like 8 years ago. It's inexcusable.

Its definitely a fun game but man I'm sad. After playing the demo on PSN I realized I really suck at racing games. Maybe I'll the demo more time to see if I want to purchase this.

511GlB9y2WL._SS500_.jpg

...$39.99 Preorder off of Amazon

Zenith

Banned
man, the demo was awesome. ran way better than Dirt and the replay/flashback function gets rid of that annoying spinning out at the very last corner before the finish problem. way more fun than any of the other racing games out there. I'm getting this over Burnout PC.

FabCam

I consider myself pretty good at racing games - especially GT games - but I suck at this game. If you so much as touch the grass you spin off and 20 cars smash into you. However, it is pretty fun when you crash. The GFX are pretty good, especially in replay mode.

RabG

Banned
sinnergy said:
Indeed, must mean my PS3 is only broken when playing GRID. Cos I swear I see it.

What PS3 do you have I have 60gb version and I repeat I saw no glitches when I played
it.

Bebpo

Banned
I tried both versions. Not really for me. I love PGR so I thought it might be my kinda game, but the cars feel like they have no weight and I just don't find it fun. I think it's too realistic for me. I like sliding like PGR, but here I just spin out. Plus the rumble sucks. There's like no rumble when you accelerate unlike PGR.

Now that I think about it, now that RSC2 team is gone & PGR team is gone....I think I'm shit out of luck for arcade racers that I enjoy :( Hopefully Bizarre's new franchise will be as good as PGR2/4.

Andokuky

Banned
Meh, multiplayer and games like this just don't work :lol

It's impossible to play the touring car track without having a massive pileup of assholes who want to use your trunk as a brake in the first corner.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Bebpo said:
I tried both versions. Not really for me. I love PGR so I thought it might be my kinda game, but the cars feel like they have no weight and I just don't find it fun. I think it's too realistic for me. I like sliding like PGR, but here I just spin out. Plus the rumble sucks. There's like no rumble when you accelerate unlike PGR.

Now that I think about it, now that RSC2 team is gone & PGR team is gone....I think I'm shit out of luck for arcade racers that I enjoy :( Hopefully Bizarre's new franchise will be as good as PGR2/4.

Go buy yourself a playseat and a wheel. The demo is fuck awesome with a good setup. The way it feels weightless and lifeless and kind of boring with the pad is eliminated with force feedback. With the wheel it's probably not the best controlling game on the planet, but it feels pretty good and with so many things the game is doing right like the sense of speed, damage modeling/road debris, smoke effects, excellent AI, superb audio/visuals, fantastic online, it all adds up to a great experience. I think the game will be more of a full package than any other arcade-cum-sim racer this gen by a mile.

Rad Agast

Tried playing the demo with a keyboard but it just doesn't feel right. The game runs smooth and looks good though. Will have to retry it again on a proper setup when I get home in a couple of weeks.

Core407

Banned
CrapSandwich said:
Go buy yourself a playseat and a wheel. The demo is fuck awesome with a good setup. The way it feels weightless and lifeless and kind of boring with the pad is eliminated with force feedback. With the wheel it's probably not the best controlling game on the planet, but it feels pretty good and with so many things the game is doing right like the sense of speed, damage modeling/road debris, smoke effects, excellent AI, superb audio/visuals, fantastic online, it all adds up to a great experience. I think the game will be more of a full package than any other arcade-cum-sim racer this gen by a mile.

I'll try the two wheels I got here. MS SideWinder Precision and this shitty PS2 racing wheel. Hopefully there ain't no lag and the wheels aren't 1/0 but 0-256

GHG

Is there a way to set the game resolution to 1400x900 in the PC demo? Am I missing something because I'm not seeing that option at all?

GHG said:
Is there a way to set the game resolution to 1400x900 in the PC demo? Am I missing something because I'm not seeing that option at all?

don't know about 1400x900 ....game defaulted to 1440x900 for my monitor though, then I dropped it back down to 1280x800

Bebpo

Banned
CrapSandwich said:

I actually tried it with the FFB wheel on the PS3 version and Pad on X360 version. With the wheel I still just kept spinning out. It still seemed like I couldn't "feel" the weight the car to measure my under/oversteer. It's just not my kind of game. I think I like games where it's hard to spin out like RSC2, PGR, Sega Rally, GT (w/traction control), etc...

Yoboman

There's some surprising glitches in this game. I've noticed multiple times, the race will end a lap or more early. Often invites to games don't work. And there's a major crashing bug that I've experienced twice that kicks everyone out of the game and leaves you at the loading screen so you have to reset the game. Which I suspect may be connected to someone lagging out

I hope this demo is an old build

I'm also getting pissed off with the griefers at the starting grids. Half the games you're lucky to make it ten seconds into the match now

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Yoboman said:
There's some surprising glitches in this game. I've noticed multiple times, the race will end a lap or more early. Often invites to games don't work. And there's a major crashing bug that I've experienced twice that kicks everyone out of the game and leaves you at the loading screen so you have to reset the game. Which I suspect may be connected to someone lagging out

I hope this demo is an old build

I'm also getting pissed off with the griefers at the starting grids. Half the games you're lucky to make it ten seconds into the match now

Online has been stable so far for me. No bugs yet. Yeah, greifers are really annoying. I usually hang back for the first half a lap and let them take themselves out of the race.

Yoboman

Router said:
Online has been stable so far for me. No bugs yet. Yeah, greifers are really annoying. I usually hang back for the first half a lap and let them take themselves out of the race.
They really need some sort of system promoting good tactics by default. As it is, there's basically no reason NOT to basically do a Burnout style "takedown" on the competition other than for the sake of being polite.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Yoboman said:
They really need some sort of system promoting good tactics by default. As it is, there's basically no reason NOT to basically do a Burnout style "takedown" on the competition other than for the sake of being polite.

Cause you do not want to get kicked by those you've wronged. But I'll go ahead and say you won't want to play with strangers unless damage is turned off.

bee

for the PC demo, if you wanna turn off the brown HDR effect goto "my documents\codemasters\grid demo\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml" and set postprocess and blur to “false”

350wc20.jpg

3026hyg.png

also in the main grid demo dir, goto "cars\tyreGrip.csv" and the tyre grip values can be turned down, not tried it myself there's a lot of numbers in there, will wait until someone makes a modded version for download

I thought the demo looked fantastic and ran smooth as butter (360 version, I might download it later on PS3 for sh!ts and giggles) but the car control is bizarre.

The touring cars have no grip whatsoever and corner like rally cars. Where's the downforce?

I get that it's meant to be arcadey, but I shouldn't pivot into corners in a touring car.
Still, it's the same song and dance Codemasters have been doing for years with the franchise. It's what happens when an arcade-like physics engine is used over multiple racing disciplines.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

I miss the TOCA series...

bee said:
for the PC demo, if you wanna turn off the brown HDR effect goto "my documents\codemasters\grid demo\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml" and set postprocess and blur to “false”

350wc20.jpg

3026hyg.png

also in the main grid demo dir, goto "cars\tyreGrip.csv" and the tyre grip values can be turned down, not tried it myself there's a lot of numbers in there, will wait until someone makes a modded version for download

wow!

very nice!

Pachael

Router said:

Yeah, seconded. Yet, for a PC demo it's quite fun for an arcade racer. For sim racers, there are other racers to enjoy - I don't see what the fuss is about this.

EverSoTrendy said:
I'm complaining because they cars feel like shit to drive. The Mustang preforms the same way as the BMW. That and the game is way to floaty, like I said It's like playing AM2. For shits and giggles, I entered a turn at 120mph, the first turn on the Euro track and made it without braking once. Toca was never like that.
What? 120mph? Yeah right.

Shogmaster said:
Say what? The Mustang drives VERY differently than the BMW! You can torque your way out of understeer with the Mustang while you have to brake appropriately with the BMW. You clearly didn't play the demo enough if you thought they handled the same. It ain't a sim by any stretch, but the car do have their own handling personality.
Exactly. They handle completely differently.

dark10x said:
Wow, games looks fantastic on the PC. As expected it holds a rock solid 60 fps. I didn't sync up my 360 controller, but the keyboard actually wasn't bad. Superior version!
That is wierd. It works fine with my 360 controller. I mapped the keys myself so i dunno if it did them automatically as well.

All in all i am pretty damn impressed. I like it better than Dirt. The only problem with both this and Dirt is that the best bits (the street racing/touring cars and the rally stages respectively) are not the whole game and they stuck is stuff like the skid pan and buggy racing. I'd prefer if they just concentrated on the 2 set modes for each to be honest.
The mustang level really reminded me of some of the MSR levels from San Francisco.

I think it is gonna be a tough choice between this and Burnout. I might just have to get both and never buy another racing game (Trackmania United already takes up so much time that i haven't got very far in FlatOut which i have had for a couple of years now).

aznpxdd

Looks fantastic on my PC, running the game at 1280x1024 with 16xQSAA & 16xAF and getting 50+ FPS. Too bad it doesn't work with my gamepad (it detects it fine in the menu, but doesn't work in the actual race), so had to play with keyboard...and it was way too hard.

Manager

bee said:

That looks awesome, I wish they could put the option to turn that off in the console game. If not, I'm ready to buy the PC version just for that. I don't _hate_ the brown, but that just looks better to me. Can you do some more screenshots, in-game perhaps?

Momar

aka Ryder
Just tried it out for PC, ran pretty well on my rig. These screenshots were 2xAA, but ran at a steady 50fps w/ 4xAA. About 55 with the 2xAA.

These are resized by tinypic from 1920x1200. You can clearly tell that I have not played a racing game in a LONG time :lol

rizrpe.png

Impending doom...
24g632x.png

Overall, had a good time destroying my car, but I'm not sure I'm willing to drop any cash for a racing game anytime soon. My backlog is big enough anyway!

amar212

Main problem with GRID is that you just can'y race a proper bump-to-bump racing because of lousy brakes.

Brakes sucks, period.

However, I'm still going to get it because of the fun.

FafaFooey

I love Forza 2. I love PGR4. I love Gran Turismo.

This game... it's like the cars have no weight whatsoever. It doesn't feel realistic in the least.

kitch9

Banned
FafaFooey said:

This game... it's like the cars have no weight whatsoever. It doesn't feel realistic in the least.

QFT. I've never hated the handling of a racing game so much EVER. I love racing games too :-( I was really looking forward to this...... Not any more I'm afraid.

FafaFooey said:

The BMW you drive in the demo is a Racing Touring car, it has very little weight comparing the street legal sport cars you drive in PGR for example.

Actually the handling kinda reminds me of TOCA because of the light cars. But that is not a bad thing.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
How would you guys compare the handling to Ridge Racer? Floaty but in a good way?

LowParry

Ya know, this is sort of a sad thing to admit, but I play so much better with this keyboard here for a driving game then I do with a controller. -facepalm- Man. Really fun demo though. haven't tried any of the multiplayer yet.

eso76

Haunted One said:
A real pity that the replay function for such an amazing looking game is that limited - even moreso on the PC if I didn't miss something (lol "superior" version with worse replay)

yeah, sucks you cannot follow other cars on the track (i have a feeling that's how codemaster menages to achieve such high performances with their engine...when cars disappear from your sight, their ai,physics,whatever stops being computed and they become drones moving along the track, maybe ?)
but grid actually has the only replay feature i can think of where slowmo is actually worth something and which rewinds properly

Jirotrom

good lord the sound is friggen faptastic in this game... my ears are melting! when ever you do jumps and your car lands it really feels like a car because of the sound, you get a real sense of the mass. Simply amazing.

Shearie

I'm lovin the demo except I can't do the drift challenge for shit. Someone, please help me out with my drifting skills.

Gbeav

Banned
After much testing I have decided this game isn't for me. The controls are just too uncontrollable as I find myself making inconsistent cornering and going back and forth as left-right is just too radical.

And since when can you hammer the gas off the line in any car and start flipping around like a fish out of water.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Gbeav said:
After much testing I have decided this game isn't for me. The controls are just too uncontrollable as I find myself making inconsistent cornering and going back and forth as left-right is just too radical.

And since when can you hammer the gas off the line in any car and start flipping around like a fish out of water.

Jesus.... too arcadey, too sim-like.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND PEOPLE.

zedge

I am really enjoying the demo. (ps3) Day one purchase.

However the demo has frozen on me more than once, usually after a big crash.
Its a hard lock too, have to turn off PS3..

Anyone else experience this?

80gb

Pachael

eso76 said:
yeah, sucks you cannot follow other cars on the track (i have a feeling that's how codemaster menages to achieve such high performances with their engine...when cars disappear from your sight, their ai,physics,whatever stops being computed and they become drones moving along the track, maybe ?)
but grid actually has the only replay feature i can think of where slowmo is actually worth something and which rewinds properly

You know you're on the right track when after you grind through a race in the last lap trailing the leaders by seven-tenths of a second and manage to pass them in the next three corners and hold them off to win to be able to rewind and forward the replay as many times as possible. The music choice and default 'cinematic' angle works quite well.

Top Bottom