• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Race Driver GRID demo available on the MP

h3ro

AgentOtaku said:
I do agree with you there.....yes... even GT5

I agree as well... considering GT5 hasn't hit yet :p

But don't discount Burnout Paradise guys, Its an amazing game! Definitely a close second to PGR....

belvedere

Junior Butler
AgentOtaku said:
I do agree with you there.....yes... even GT5

PGR4 is close, but it still just looks like rendered cars floating on a track. They just don't look and "feel" quite as alive as what can be seen in GT5p, despite it's unfinished state.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay, WHO TOLD ME NOT TO BOTHER DOWNLOADING THIS GAME?

I just played it for 1 hour on the PS3 and HOLY SHIT is this game fun. This comes from someone who didn't like DiRT. Yes, you heard me.

Though the handling isn't the most realistic one, it's definitely FUN to play you know? The graphics are very impressive, even though it tears sometimes. Sound quality is top notch and the replay function (get to know how to slowmo before you bash this) is extremely addicting!

I'm not very fond of the "save/load-state" function but I just noticed that you can turn them off and get more reputation points :D

Anyone know what we're able to do with the points in the retail version? I'm really thinking about buying this. Damn it's fun!

I like when assholes on live hit you going into a corner. This guys just railed me when they entered the corner at +150mph, I can already tell the community is going to be shit, because this has happened 10/12 races I've had.

llTll

Banned
i think i am in love with this game. i am buying it when it comes out day one.

i dont get the bad physics people talk about. its no GT5 in terms of game play since its not the same style. but this is much better than PGR3/4

day one bitches. i am there

alterno69

Banned
llTll said:
i think i am in love with this game. i am buying it when it comes out day one.

i dont get the bad physics people talk about. its no GT5 in terms of game play since its not the same style. but this is much better than PGR3/4

day one bitches. i am there

Exactly, it's intense, it's chaotic and most of all it's fucking FUN, can't wait.

Rad Agast

Just incase anyone was waiting for the demo to come up. This is the first link I found (it will ask for newsletter subscription so just skip that)

Linky

dark10x said:
Well, to be fair, I didn't try every mode before posting my initial impressions. I had only messed with the Yokohama drift course. I later did try the other courses out and, yes, there is indeed additional slowdown on top of the tearing. It's still much smoother than DiRT on 360 was, however.

Good to hear that we're on the same page. I agree that DiRT 360 was definitely worse for slowdown, but I was more referring to it happening in similar situations. DiRT 360 ALWAYS slowed down when going into a corner with other cars around you, and it looks like the same thing happens in GRID PS3, though to a much lesser extent.

I wasn't too hot on the demo at first, but then I went into MP and it just clicked. Seriously considering a purchase now (and who said demos didn't help drive sales?).

One of my favorite pasttimes with racing demos: see how bad you can smash the car up and still continue to race.

grid1.JPG

grid4.JPG

grid5.JPG

grid6.JPG

PS: The crowd was booing at me. Pretty neat.

bee

seems good to me, after two whole races :p

the handling and braking wont win any awards but the brakes at least can be altered in game without any 3rd party app and i certainly had fun

game runs awesome too, 60fps with vsync on and all gfx options on high/ultra with 4xaa, although the aa options go all the way upto 16xqcsaa, did get a couple of very minor drops but it never went below 55fps

gonna do a load more races and also check out the multiplayer

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
bee said:
seems good to me, after two whole races :p

the handling and braking wont win any awards but the brakes at least can be altered in game without any 3rd party app and i certainly had fun

game runs awesome too, 60fps with vsync on and all gfx options on high/ultra with 4xaa, although the aa options go all the way upto 16xqcsaa, did get a couple of very minor drops but it never went below 55fps

gonna do a load more races and also check out the multiplayer
What is your hardware?

I found that going beyond 1280x720 with 2x AA on DiRT would result in minor framerate dips. 720p + 2x AA, however, yields a perfect 60 fps in all conditions. Perhaps this game is more optimized?

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Is anybody beating the races on Savage or Extreme difficulty? Three laps just isn't enough time for me to get to the front. If there was qualifying, no problem. But the AI is fucking fast. Best case scenario on the touring race is getting a good jump off the line, saying a prayer, and jumping underneath on turn one... maybe nets me 7 or 8 places at best, but usually at the cost of damage to the steering. Just curious if anyone is pulling this off or not.

bee

dark10x said:
What is your hardware?

I found that going beyond 1280x720 with 2x AA on DiRT would result in minor framerate dips. 720p + 2x AA, however, yields a perfect 60 fps in all conditions. Perhaps this game is more optimized?

game is much more optimized especially since you've got 11 other cars on the track at same time and in dirt i could run the rally stages no probs at 60fps but the stages with other cars definetely did slow down quite a lot at times

pc is e6600@3.6, 2gb, 8800gts 512@780/1910/2100

any game that makes me laugh out loud in multiplayer is ok by me, the crashes are top quality, turn one is a killer on the touring car track with all 12 of you hurtling along into there its guaranteed crash city

sinnergy

If you turn all assists and TRC off it's pretty realistic imo. I bet all complainers are trying it with every thing on.

Russtic

Banned
Is it me or did they go back to the old 'car pivots around the center of the car' physics? That was fun for CMR back on the PS1 but damn, I cant stomach that crap anymore.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I can't stop playing this demo, holy shit.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Getting something like 50-55 FPS with everything stuck on High/Ultra and the default 4x AA, bumping the AA to 16x whatever, get around 40FPS. Unfortunately my 360 pad was acting up so I couldn't actually play it much, but it seems a pretty competent PC port.

Haunted

Alright, just played the demo. First on 360, then on my comp.

Love the presentation. Love the graphics (and how it runs on my PC). Love the damage modelling. Fucking love that there's 20 fucking Touring cars around me with drivers inside (making mistakes, trying to cut corners, overtaking etc.) - very very nice.

DON'T LOVE how the handling of the cars doesn't really feel like Race Driver. :/

It's not as floaty and weightless as Dirt, imo, but I feel that the cars are drifting around a bit too much on the track. There's not enough grip, and although better than Dirt's implementation - not enough weight on the car.

Verdict: I will buy this. I might not love it like I loved Race Driver 3, but I think I'll have lots of fun with it.

EDIT: oh, and FUCK the drift events - that's not my Race Driver. :mad: I'll skip those whenever possible, like I skipped most of the rally events in Dirt.

Yoshichan

18 mil on drift without any restarts :)!

bee

Haunted One said:
but I think I'll have lots of fun with it.

thats really all that needs to be said, the handling, the brakes, the arcadeyness, the central pivot point bla bla bla, you've gotta be pretty joyless to not be able to have fun with this online the damage and crashes really make it

jee

CrapSandwich said:
Is anybody beating the races on Savage or Extreme difficulty? Three laps just isn't enough time for me to get to the front. If there was qualifying, no problem. But the AI is fucking fast. Best case scenario on the touring race is getting a good jump off the line, saying a prayer, and jumping underneath on turn one... maybe nets me 7 or 8 places at best, but usually at the cost of damage to the steering. Just curious if anyone is pulling this off or not.
weird.. even the extreme seemed to be too easy. especially the one with the mustang, i got in 1st place before halfway of 1st lap. but i haven't changed any of the assist settings so i suppose they are all on?

Yoshichan

CrapSandwich said:
How you do this? How do you have it set up? Wheel or pad/any assists/POV/MT or AT?
Just don't hurt me, okay? Promise? If not, skip the spoiler part:

PS3 pad, all assists on, automatic gear
>_<

Kibbles said:
How the hell... The most I ever got was 696,000
Remember to drift as close the flag as possible, at all times! Also, when you reach 300k+, try to do small drifts to add the multiplier :)

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
jee said:
weird.. even the extreme seemed to be too easy. especially the one with the mustang, i got in 1st place before halfway of 1st lap. but i haven't changed any of the assist settings so i suppose they are all on?

Well shit how do you do that... there can't be enough room to make that many passes that quickly, eh?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
CrapSandwich said:
Well shit how do you do that... there can't be enough room to make that many passes that quickly, eh?

If you played with him on Trackmania, you would see that Jee is a deity in racing games.

jee

CrapSandwich said:
before halfway of 1st lap was a slight exaggeration :/ but right after the big uphill i'm usually 1st or very close. the opponents don't have too good driving lanes so its really easy to overtake them from inside.

Agent Icebeezy said:
If you played with him on Trackmania, you would see that Jee is a deity in racing games.
yeah, play trackmania and other racing games become easy :)

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
I tried that race with the assists on and using a pad and boy what a difference. The beamer race with a field of 20 is much tougher, but still not too bad if you don't get wrecked. It makes me wonder if I can compete with the CPU using a wheel and no assists, though. :/ That would be a downer if not.

Ahriman

OK, so I played the demo on PC. Random observations:

EDIT: All assists were disabled.

* runs much faster than DIRT demo, as far as I can remember, both in menus and in-game. 1680x1050 with 2xMSAA and BMW event was smooth enough (core 2 duo e6300, 2 gb ram, 512 mb GF7900GTO). Also it's a lot more stable (DIRT demo froze a couple of times when I changed screen resolution/enabled EAX audio/etc.)

* graphics are good, though not breathtaking. Bloom and weird palette are... different, not sure I like it.

* there is no default pre-calibrated control scheme for the X360 controller, which is bad (I thought it was a fairly popular gamepad among PC gamers?). I fiddled around with linearity/saturation and arrived at tolerable settings, but never felt completely in control of the car. Unfortunately I don't have the wheel with me so I had to survive with the pad.

* pivot-around-center-point is very noticeable in both the chase view and from the cockpit. It's pretty disorienting, actually, since the car does not quite go where you point it to. I actually found it easier to play with the chase cam view, even though usually I go with cockpit in other games--it's hard to judge the position of the car on track from the cockpit.

So yeah, I'm about to delete the demo. I didn't even bother with the other 2 events. Not buying, obviously.

Bulla564

Banned
sinnergy said:
If you turn all assists and TRC off it's pretty realistic imo. I bet all complainers are trying it with every thing on.

:lol No. I turned them back on when I realized the replay would look like a ballet "Cars on Ice".

bee

i dont understand what the problem is, if i wanna play a sim i'll play live for speed or a gtr2/rfactor mod or whatever, or if i was console only i'd play the only semi sim available gt5, however when you goto play this game you should know its an arcade game before you start and it handles accordingly,online i simply cant fail to have fun with it, again, THIS IS AN ARCADE GAME

Echoes

The demo is fantastically superb. I'm liking it a lot and I think I'm going for both the 360 and the PC version.

Yoboman

belvedere said:
PGR4 is close, but it still just looks like rendered cars floating on a track. They just don't look and "feel" quite as alive as what can be seen in GT5p, despite it's unfinished state.
GT5 is going to be something else if every car feels quite as good as the ones in Prologue, AND it has a damage model

Ahriman

bee said:
i dont understand what the problem is, if i wanna play a sim i'll play live for speed or a gtr2/rfactor mod or whatever, or if i was console only i'd play the only semi sim available gt5, however when you goto play this game you should know its an arcade game before you start and it handles accordingly,online i simply cant fail to have fun with it, again, THIS IS AN ARCADE GAME

Well, there are arcade games and there are games that violate common sense. :lol My weak brain just get confused with the way the car turns. Most arcade games don't have this bullshit. E.g. this is a racing game I discovered 2 days ago, Rollcage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grSlKW7kTF8

It's as arcade as they come, missiles, jet cars, powerups, etc. but if you watch the video you'll see that the car turns properly :D Not every arcade game is fun for everyone :\

traind

Stop It said:
What? you mean fans of the Toca Race Driver series (And personally a fan of the BTCC games that started it all) should bend over and accept a fantastic racing series being destroyed because the PR robots at Codemasters want it to be so?

Fuck off, I wanted a game that carried on the great legacy the RD series had created, the fact that Codies have even turned the Touring Cars (Their speciality) into a lifeless husk shows how far they have reversed the series, I feel I have every right to be exceptionally angry, and frankly, you haven't seen half of what I have wanted to say.

Exceptionally angry? Really? If you bought this for $60 looking for a simulation and then discovered it wasn't a simulation but an arcade title with some realism built in I could see you being upset. But you downloaded a free demo, didn't like it, and now you're fully informed. If you meant you were 'disappointed' (instead of angry) by the change in direction, I would agree with you. I prefer sim titles and this demo has many strengths in it that would be great in a simulation based game. That being said, I am having fun with the GRID demo despite the funky handling.

If you like sims and are a console gamer looking for more, I have some good news. Blimey (the core creators of GTR2--a fantastic sim racer) is working on 2 sims, Ferrari Project and their still under wraps Falcon project) that both look set to come to PC and console. Which consoles haven't been announced yet but it is widely speculated that Ferrari Project will appear on at least the 360. Ferrari Project is not the same as the PS3 title Ferrari Challenge that is coming out shortly.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
What are you going on about? Everyone knows the vehicles in Rollcage turn on a central pivot. It's obvious enough in the video you posted.

Ahriman

CrapSandwich said:
What are you going on about? Everyone knows the vehicles in Rollcage turn on a central pivot. It's obvious enough in the video you posted.

Don't know who is the "everyone" you refer to but I disagree. I just loaded the game to double check. You can even do a relatively proper donut in rollcage. I stand by my opinion--the "lateral" torque application to the car body is more correct than in Grid.

Top Bottom