• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racism, Xenophobia and the persistent latent issues of white male colonization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merino

Genuine question to which I'd like an answer: What is cultural globalization if not a more dominant culture assimilating a less dominant one? I feel like you maybe mean "multiculturalism", but that and "globalized culture" are not the same.
I would say multiculturalism is a facet of globalization that is more of an issue now due to the existence of nation states (and fairly solid borders) and increasing economic migration due to the globalized economy.

I see globalization more as the process of the global interaction and transmission of cultural values and meanings rather than the domination of one culture.

You're the anthropologist, so maybe you can correct me, but this is how I'm thinking: I think that "xenophobia and racism" are inherent to human social dynamics, and that it's something that we will (for the foreseeable future at least) have to consciously fight against. When it comes to "groups", not being within will invariable mean that you're without, and being without will always come with certain misgivings. That counts especially when demagogues use this simple dynamic for their "us vs them" rhetoric.
I would definitely say that it's true that xenophobia is inherent in pretty much all human cultures, racism however I am not sure. It might be something that progressives will always need to fight for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'm just disappointed that we haven't gotten as far as I would have liked to see. Hearing the town hall discussion on the American Life podcast just made me a little disillusioned with the conscious fight as people were so obviously not willing to listen to any reason nor have any empathy with a perspective wider then themselves.

It's not really a "white" thing, it's a "relinquishing of oppressive power" thing. Just so happens that in most multicultural countries, white people are the oppressing force.

I feel that, if anything, it doesn't quite sink in for some people just how abnormally rich and prosperous 'western' nations are - especially the former colonial countries like the UK, France, etc. Even while they get whipped into a fervour about the exceptionalism of their country, they see as no different than any other, on a relatively even playing field rather than at the top of the pyramid. So the pull factors that draw in immigrants to begin with kinda elude them. That their countries or communities should be viewed as owing something to others or is deserving of different expectations when it comes to diversity and tolerance is alien to them. That they should have to care about 'foreigners', even those that have gone through every normal process to be a part of their country, is baffling, especially where they feel their own governments have failed to take care of their citizens. This isn't the only force behind the resurgence of the extreme right and many of the ideas that come with it, but I feel it is a factor worth considering.

kinggroin

Banned
All this talk of people being 'genetically predisposed' to being wary and defensive against people who look different.... scientifically is proven (from what I have read in the past)

However.... we aren't animals. We aren't dictated by our instincts. We have knowledge and reasoning.

Anyone that is racist effectively has a primitive mind. Racism is a choice when we have as much intelligence as we do.

There are many in this very forum, that would argue otherwise.

How about we just say, we have the capacity for thought as such that would allows us to behave differently than what we are biologically pre-disposed to.

Or some such

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom