• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAD Founder: Apple could obliterate Switch and render consoles obsolete

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Oh, boy, followed apple.com link, selber schuld.
So "The 8-core CPU design features the world’s fastest CPU cores", yeah right, mkay.
And then this new superduper XDR, best evar pro stuff, stupid me, I took the bait.

Looking for reviews, oh, just hyping shit on its own.

But thank god, this guy exists:

There is no bottom to the lies of Apple. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Rikkori

Apple won't do JACK!

Joe Biden Smh GIF by Election 2020

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Are you fucking kidding me?

What is that thing made of?
Appolonium.

I wouldnt mind if apple teached lazy nintendo a lesson. Switch is overpriced by 200$ right now.
Apple can teach Nintendo a lesson on overpricing, all right.

Just for the lulz, I can easily imagine Apple putting out a base model with 32GB of non-upgradeable internal memory at Switch price. If you want to have more than Fortnite and another game with you at all times, there’s of course options for 64GB at $499, 128GB at $599 and 512GB at $849 :messenger_beaming:

But seriously, Apple could do it. Just forget about physical media and limited editions, expect the launch model to be an expensive test unit, and be ready for MT galore and 18-months updates with your model getting obsolete after a couple of years.

Ellery

They will never understand.

It is not about the actual hardware.
It is not about how much money you can make.
It is not about how much you can milk your customers to make shareholders and suits happy.
It is not about the quantity of games.

It is about the expression on your face, in your soul and heart when you play games like A Link To The Past for the first time and falling in love.

sainraja

lol...No

Don't get me wrong, Apple has the tech and the funds, but in the gaming space they don't have the mindshare and you would likely see a performance equivalent to the OG Box VS the competition... You know who else people thought would destroy the competition...Google, and have you heard of this thing called a Stadia?

Nintendo has a FIRM handle on the handheld market and currently owns Japan...

Sony and MS would also not go down without a fight and while I don't think Apple would do as badly as Google, it wouldn't be a landslide at all, more importantly the ease of development makes porting on the Box to PS a breeze and vice versa, if Apple came into the market with a custom build it could really effect the development time /strain on development.
Unless Apple buys Sony? ;) Everyone here thinks Microsoft can, so surely Apple can as well.

sainraja

Sure they could, if they moneyhatted every AAA publisher in existence...

Fancy hardware gets you nowhere, its the games that count and its not like apple haven't tried making console like hardware before with little success.

Pippin-Atmark-Console-Set.jpg
The Apple of today didn't make that and they are already making inroads towards gaming with Apple Arcade and controller support for their iPads and Apple TV. I think Apple will become a part of gaming, it just won't be the way we are used to.

Absurd, of course. Apple could certainly make a decent attempt at entering the gaming market but it would be a monumental task to dethrone any of the current big three.

Apple is having difficulty creating a viable TV/movie streaming service. Which is far less costly and way more accessible to consumers.

CobraAB

Sure they could, if they moneyhatted every AAA publisher in existence...

Fancy hardware gets you nowhere, its the games that count and its not like apple haven't tried making console like hardware before with little success.

Pippin-Atmark-Console-Set.jpg
Not much of an effort there frankly.

Interfectum

Apple is already one of the biggest gaming publishers in the world and they barely try. There is zero incentive for them to waste billions jumping in the little kids pool with Sony and Nintendo.

GHG

I agree with him, said as much a few weeks ago.

If they made a push and the new apple TV had the M1 chip at $200—$250 withal a controller packed in and they went out there to get some big developers on board with board arcade then both Xbox and Sony could also be in trouble, nevermind just Nintendo.

But as it stands it's too many ifs and their presentation yesterday shows they are not interested in making a push in this direction. The capability of their hardware is no longer an issue, it's everything else. Honestly I think if they haven't done it now they are very unlikely to do so at any point in the future, for whatever reason they don't see it aligning with their brand or they are happy with the way things are.

Overall they pose a bigger potential threat in the medium term than either Amazon or Google do though.

Last edited:
Is the IPad already not a portable gaming console with it's M1 chip?

With that said, the M1 probably wont stack up to whatever Nintendo chooses to do next - Nvidia are no slouch when it comes to
Portable GPU chipsets. They made portable gaming more plausible far before the M1 existed.

As for the M1, has yet to impress me in particular - it can barely play a PC variant of GTAV on low quality
and barely manages the moniker of matching a low end mid range PC with a simple high end GPU.

With enough ML applied and enough games built from the ground up to take advantage of the chip, sure it might
deliver impressive visuals but it will never ever match the latest PC hardware, ever - or for that matter a high end Console/True Next Gen Nvidia Chiplet - it
may however for a generation put Nvidia back on it's feet as they may not of seen this one coming in respect to their next Portable solution, meaning for a
generation Nintendo's next system could look less powerful but that remains to be seen. And really, by the time it matters to Nintendo - they'll release a more
powerful console.

And also, who is to say Nintendo will stick with Portable gaming as their main Hardware solution? They may offer more powerful hybrid solutions in the future or
a completely non portable machine.

Also, we have entered the Golden Era of Compute - where a mobile chip such as the M1 will be surpassed very quickly once that sector has decided to release more product . . .

and this cycle will continue ad infinite.

Expect to see this thread pop up again and again, about the M2 and future eyewear

Iphones with the M2, Ipad with the M2, Apple Glass with M2 - "will an M2 console destroy the Competition" threads

And then Nvidia will release it's Monster GPU/CPU for mobile. And all Apple gaming buzz will die off, as it always has.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

Apple profits from hardware not-so software so that means the console would be crazy expensive which is a tough barrier to entry without the history of content.

LordOfChaos

I'm so frustrated that they don't do this. Apples silicon for many iPhones let alone up to the M1 iPad is way more powerful than the Switch. Add in a vice grip first party controller and start courting bigger game developers for it and it could be something.

The current suite of Apple Arcade doesn't have a whole lot of titles appealing to me. I mean it has The Pathless and some other games but mostly tiny mobile fare. If the Switch can run Doom, the iPhone could be powering more full scale titles with a controller grip.

Reactions: GHG

Jeeves

This attitude is why these soulless suits keep failing spectacularly at entering the industry. Unlike most other tech fields, it's not something where you can find success just by throwing money around.

LordOfChaos

I would pay 800 for an M1 console day 1.

Where was this gaming Apple TV yesterday, why A12 :messenger_neutral:

Hope it's still coming, with a first party unified controller that works on everything they have. Go high/low, higher end high performance box for higher end Arcade titles, and an inexpensive dongle just to get Apple TV on more TVs

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
In a tweet posted yesterday, Andrea Pessino, founder and technical director of Ready at Dawn studio, claims that if Apple released an M1-powered portable it would obliterate the Switch and render gaming consoles obsolete in the future.

My take is that even if that were true from a technical POV, content is what matters and without internal studios it wouldn't really do it.

pkCiUAQ.png

He must be looking at getting acquired by Apple then, because he is 100% WRONG! Apple couldn't even dominate in the smart phone space.

JCK75

Yea I mean ipads are like $600, I'm sure adding more storage and controllers will bring that price down to compete with Switch.

mckmas8808

talk to me when there is an M1 device for 300$ that comes with a screen, controller, charger ( thanks apple ), and dock station.

till that happen, RAD CEO can fuck off.

They can't and won't. Sadly some people don't understand how the gaming industry works.

Bryank75

Banned
What an absolutely absurd statement... why go into a demanding market like core gaming, where the performance and standards of games require massive investments and expertise VS the casual mobile market, where a game like flappy bird, made in one night can become a sensational hit and make the creator a millionaire in a few hours.

Apple want's the easy money, they don't want to have to build massive teams all over the world that cost 100's of millions annually just to make a few games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Apple only sells things at high prices and margins.

And consoles or handheld hardware are low margin products (depending on the company and era they can be money losers). You make the profits off software.

Apple is already making bank off software cuts (like Steam). No need to rock the boat with a piece of hardware to get console gamers unless they can convince gamers to buy a high end handheld for double or triple Switch's price.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
He's just spazzing about the mobile perf of the chip.. it's a dumb statement, because Apple makes devices w/ massive markup and insane prices so its not a fit for them, nor do they have any reason to.

But the chip is pretty insane as a mobile chip.

And yes, that's compared to other ARM processors... I don't know why anyone in this thread keeps implying that somehow other ARM processors compete w/ M1.. it stomps all over them, badly.

Last edited:

Aroll

In a tweet posted yesterday, Andrea Pessino, founder and technical director of Ready at Dawn studio, claims that if Apple released an M1-powered portable it would obliterate the Switch and render gaming consoles obsolete in the future.

My take is that even if that were true from a technical POV, content is what matters and without internal studios it wouldn't really do it.

pkCiUAQ.png

He's right, but I'm glad he mentioned it would take them having the right software lineup to do it, admitting it's not just about being able to obliterate the market's ability to compete.

One thing has proven true as Amazon and Google have tried to make AAA games - these massive corporations with no background in making AAA games, struggle no matter how much money they throw at it to actually make games. Microsoft can basically get tossed into the pile too, even if they did at one point make many successful PC games. There is nothing Apple has ever done to suggest they suddenly can get right what every other tech giant has gotten wrong. So while I do believe a M1 gaming device with the convenience of Switch's design could absolutely be epic, it's not going to really get the library it needs to be successful. Also, I think we can all admit it's pretty crazy just how good the M1 chip is. It almost feels like voodoo magic that's so far ahead of ARM and AMD/Nvidia for mobile chips, it's embarassing.

reksveks

He must be looking at getting acquired by Apple then, because he is 100% WRONG! Apple couldn't even dominate in the smart phone space.
you do know that RAD already got bought by one of the big 4? Also what do you count as not dominating? Global Marketshare maybe not, but profit.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Hardly. I'm not even a huge fan of the Switch but it's absurd to think that Apple could just come in and knockout the other console manufacturers, especially Nintendo.

Can you imagine the type of garbage that Apple would shovel out? I'd rather be stuck with a Wii for the rest of my life than to buy a console from Apple.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Apple wouldn’t waste their time with a dedicated video game device. The Apple TV and iPhone is the best way to get into the business further, of which they are already somewhat exposed.

Lets see what leap Apple takes in the next two years with their custom silicon, but based on the M1, it could blow the doors off the industry.

Entroyp

Well duh! Any platform holder can dominate the industry with the right software. But not if the hardware costs $1000+ and accessories are expensive AF.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

LordOfChaos

talk to me when there is an M1 device for 300$ that comes with a screen, controller, charger ( thanks apple ), and dock station.

till that happen, RAD CEO can fuck off.

I already carry around a phone with a more powerful SoC than the Switch though, as do tens of millions of people already.

I wouldn't need to outlay another 1000 dollars or whatever. It just needs a vice grip controller and a real push for support from it from AAA titles. The latter part is the biggest bugbear to Apple ever taking on the Switch.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

you do know that RAD already got bought by one of the big 4? Also what do you count as not dominating? Global Marketshare maybe not, but profit.

Marketshare will always be the determining factor when someone says, "X company is dominating the market place in Business Y". It's the only way to compare. No real honest person believes that Apple could wipe the floor against Nintendo and Sony in the video game market. NOBODY!

Lets be honest.

Top Bottom