• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAD hints at unannounced platform being unveiled soon, or poor phrasing? [Up: Oculus]

Alienous

No way they could slip up so hard and basically announce a new console by accident. Right...?

My guess is bad paraphrasing.

PS5yall

It wouldn't be a slip, so much. They don't reveal any details, so that wouldn't be a problem. They are just saying they are prepared for the future, even for consoles currently unannounced (it would seem). It's an assertion of confidence.

Iwata was lying, it´s the NX AUSTIN.
Yiy77Hf.png

Trago

I doubt it's the NX as well, but given that they are working on two new IP's, maybe one of them is in the early stages of development and Nintendo could he talking to some developers early.

Alienous

There is a similar statement in the Game Informer interview.

At the same time, we have worked very hard to make sure that our engine and technology suite is multiplatform. What we did on the PS4 for The Order: 1886, we can also do today on Xbox One, PC, and on an additional unannounced platform.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...eady-at-dawn-expanding-in-new-directions.aspx

New unannounced console is the only thing that makes sense to me.

I don't see any other way to interpret it, and if they are making their engine multiplatform then it implies they have some specifications.

Surprise E3 announcement?

TheMoon

This seems like a very obvious case of "WE can't announce which platform it is" and not a "the platform itself hasn't been announced"

not sure why there's even speculation ...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
On the other hand, maybe we interpreted "Vita will be a legacy system" the wrong way.

Didn't Nintendo already outright deny this?

No, they denied that they have plans of using Android, which is of course false if they are already using it.

Lunar15

Weird phrasing. I'm going to guess that it's one of the VR systems we've already heard about, or simply PC or something.

Alienous

This seems like a very obvious case of "WE can't announce which platform it is" and not a "the platform itself hasn't been announced"

not sure why there's even speculation ...

What's the difference?

Why wouldn't they be able to announce their support for a currently existing platform if they have done so for PC and Xbox One already?

Methinks Apple is entering the console market. That or Amazon.

It's an 'unannounced platform' that we will "find out about soon". Which would mean that it's a platform we don't know about currently, and thus their coy.

Yeah I was thinking it just meant they had a secret project for whatever existing system, but I was forgetting the context of them having an almost Sony-only history.

TheMoon

What's the difference?

Why wouldn't they be able to announce their support for a currently existing platform if they have done so for PC and Xbox One already?

Methinks Apple is entering the console market. That or Amazon.

Because they might not have finalized whatever licensing agreement they need for it.

Alienous

Because they might not have finalized whatever licensing agreement they need for it.

But it could only be Wii U if not something unannounced.

What else is there? The Nvidia Shield console is the only other thing I can think of, but that is announced so that conflicts with what I think is being said.

It's happening, isn't it?

t1433782800z4.png

We'll find out soon (Apple conference).

I mean, I'd really really like for Apple to enter the core gaming business - they have a computer well suited for everything but gaming (even with Boot Camp), in part because Steve didn't like games. But if it's the new Apple TV, and it's still a box, then it'll have essentially iPad hardware and be geared towards the "casual"/mobile market (which makes more sense). It's hard to think of such Apple TV being mentioned in the same sentence as the Xbox One or the PS4.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What if Amazon is also preparing a VR HMD? That would be a new unannounced platform and explain the large number of PC games that they want to develop.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Maybe they just mean they're making games for other existing systems (WiiU, Vita, mobile), but can't confirm that yet.

TheMoon

What else is there? The Nvidia Shield console is the only other thing I can think of, but that is announced so that conflicts with what I think is being said.

Amazon Fire TV or one of these other boxes. Steam Machine maybe (since that's a special thing and doesn't just fall under PC automatically).

Symphonia

Banned
I'm putting this down to poor wording. I think they meant to say it was unconfirmed in development for another system we know about. More than likely Wii U.

PSOreo

Big fan of Apple but there is no way it's going to be AppleTv or unannounced hardware from them. They're just now getting ready to ship the Watch in stores so I doubt they'd be announcing another new platform. WWDC is all developer focused on iOS and OSX; they aren't gamers or game developers.

Alienous

Amazon Fire TV or one of these other boxes. Steam Machine maybe (since that's a special thing and doesn't just fall under PC automatically).

I'm thinking it's probably an Amazon Fire TV 2.

Apple haven't even released their Watch yet, so an announcement from them seems unlikely.

Theonik

Maybe they just mean they're making games for other existing systems (WiiU, Vita, mobile), but can't confirm that yet.
Could even be a secret morpheus but Sony is publishing and they want to hold it as an E3 surprise.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

It mentions platform and not specifically console. Frankly I think it's Morpheus.

Top Bottom