• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX480 Review Thread, Launching Now!

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I periodically see reviews or posts say that the MSRP of the 480 is $249. It's $239, though, right. So $270 is $30 over MSRP of the reference.

Anyway those Sapphire reviews are pretty promising.

I might get a $220 4gb and hold out for a year or two and then do a complete PC overhaul/upgrade.

CONCH0BAR

I periodically see reviews or posts say that the MSRP of the 480 is $249. It's $239, though, right. So $270 is $30 over MSRP of the reference.

Anyway those Sapphire reviews are pretty promising.

I might get a $220 4gb and hold out for a year or two and then do a complete PC overhaul/upgrade.

This is really close to how I feel. At the $270 range, I feel like I might as well save up an extra ~$100 for a 1070, or wait for AMD's higher end cards.

tebunker

Banned
Yeah I feel like they kind of shot themselves in the foot on the pricing. For the 4GB model I guess $220 isn't bad. 8GB should be $260 tops. $250 would be perfect. Don't know why they are ignoring the pricing of the 1060 customs, with nice ones as low as $260.

Thinking the gigabyte g1 rx 480 will be $260 or less too. I guess we're only talking about $10, but $10 cheaper would have been good for sapphire imo.

Man I must be blind because I haven't seen a $260 1060 that I can order.

I agree Sapphire probably should have been a little more aggressive but I think their pricing on an 8gb card is fair.

I agree Sapphire probably should have been a little more aggressive but I think their pricing on an 8gb card is fair.

The EVGA SC GTX 1060 is $259 on both Newegg and Amazon, but unfortunately unavailable at the moment.

tebunker

Banned
The EVGA SC GTX 1060 is $259 on both Newegg and Amazon, but unfortunately unavailable at the moment.

Fair enough, doubt these cards will be easy to get too.

I am thinking that if someone is okay with a 4gb card for $220 that is hard to beat, but I would love to see a head to head of this EVGA SC vs the $270 Sapphire 8gb.

Long term, having 8gb will help, but ultimately if you are buying a stop gap card you shouldn't overpay and just get something for that 2-3 year gap you are trying to cover. So the 6gb 1060 offers value there.

Man this is gonna be a tough choice. I have only recently noticed my 270x having issues with the games I play, but at the same time if I want to get any more recent games I am going to need more power.

ZOONAMI

The evga 1060 sc was actually available to order for some time when it launched, and then you could backorder/preorder it for a few days after it sold out from newegg. $260 with a $10 rebate so actually $250.

Not sure if my search bar spam is the best route to follow but so far neither Amazon nor Newegg have listed the card.

Do you mean the EVGA 1060? From Newegg you have to click on the Nvidia banner in the desktop graphic card page to see all the 1060 models. It's here on Amazon: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING Graphic Card (06G-P4-6163-KR) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IPVSLTC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you're asking about the 480 Nitro it's apparently available starting next week at various online retailers.

wheeplash

Do you mean the EVGA 1060? From Newegg you have to click on the Nvidia banner in the desktop graphic card page to see all the 1060 models. It's here on Amazon: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING Graphic Card (06G-P4-6163-KR) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IPVSLTC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you're asking about the 480 Nitro it's apparently available starting next week at various online retailers.

Yeah I was talking about the Nitro :)

DieH@rd

Banned

kiss-the-screenSt.gif

I think this is it. I will try to get a 4 gig model when it appears here in eastern europe.

dr_rus

that's quite a remarkable discrepancy to computer base's result's:

2016-07-2207_03_20-asltqsz.png

w3:

2016-07-2207_12_53-asi9sf1.png
witcher3_1920_1080.png

guess one should wait for more reviews.

I don't see any discrepancy. Look at where Strix is in CB.de review, not the Strix OC or Strix OC Max as these are tuned (OCed) modes. Seems to be rather the same as what TPU shows. But in any case my biggest concern is noise as it seems way too high for such custom of a 150W GPU.

Ashhong

Sapphire saying it is available now and to basically keep an eye on retailers.

270+tax is a bit much. I don't know how I feel about that. Might have to go with the 4gb variant, it's not like I do much gaming anyway.

wheeplash

Sapphire saying it is available now and to basically keep an eye on retailers.

270+tax is a bit much. I don't know how I feel about that. Might have to go with the 4gb variant, it's not like I do much gaming anyway.

No need to spend that much if you don't need it ...

No need to spend that much if you don't need it ...

How likely do you think it is that 8GB of RAM will become a necessity to run demanding games at full settings but still at 1080p resolution? I'm contemplating saving $50 and going for 4GB because it sounds like there isn't much of a difference in 2016 unless you go beyond 1440p. I think I heard that 1440p might make a difference, but just a minor one, right?

I'm just hoping to upgrade my PC just enough that it will perform smoothly until the end of the PS4 NEO/Xbox Scorpio "8.5th" generation. Does anyone think that a 4GB card would last that long without issues in 1080p?

Fluxdyne

I'm just hoping to upgrade my PC just enough that it will perform smoothly until the end of the PS4 NEO/Xbox Scorpio "8.5th" generation. Does anyone think that a 4GB card would last that long without issues in 1080p?
If you don't mind not having the texture setting maxed out, it should probably last that long.

The increases are good and the price is ok, but they only show two games.
Will wait for more good reviews.

Yes, I want to see how this overclocks on top of its boost. The 4GB version can get to 1400Mhz, achieved by the noobs at PC World, so this should reach that too. Only problem is that required full-speed fans.

I would hope 1380 would be nice with a healthy memory overclock.

MarionCB

Wow, the 8GB cards seem to start at about $450 AUD for reference. I knew we'd be screwed but not by that much. 250 USD plus tax up to 275 USD should be about $370AUD. So about $80 or so for the Australia Tax. Yikes. May be better to import.

OverclockersUK did an exclusive review-lite of the 480 Nitro+ 8GB (not 4GB as above). This thing comes with 8ghz memory as opposed to the 7ghz on the Nitro 4GB and its boost clock is 1342 v 1302.

This card seems a lot faster than reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTFDJODCSCc

Do want.

The Digital Foundry review of the reference card stated that the 4GB cards use 7GHz memory and the 8GB cards use 8GHz, so it's a basic difference between the models it seems.

jonaa

Neo Member
Wow, the 8GB cards seem to start at about $450 AUD for reference. I knew we'd be screwed but not by that much. 250 USD plus tax up to 275 USD should be about $370AUD. So about $80 or so for the Australia Tax. Yikes. May be better to import.

The Digital Foundry review of the reference card stated that the 4GB cards use 7GHz memory and the 8GB cards use 8GHz, so it's a basic difference between the models it seems.

Yeah the card was slightly more pricy than I would've wanted but it seems nice so I plunked down and ordered one. I hope I get it early august. The deciding factor vs. the 1060 was that I've yet to buy a freesync/Gsync monitor and as I'll be getting one of those too later in the fall I feel I can make up the additional cost by going freesync there.

Feels like I've been painfully waiting since April/May for this thing...

MarionCB

I think it's worth it too but I'm willing to wait a bit more. I just hope that Sapphire Nitro card comes out at under $500 here. It looks like a big improvement over reference and the extra HDMI port will be really useful for my setup of playing on monitor/TV.

wheeplash

How likely do you think it is that 8GB of RAM will become a necessity to run demanding games at full settings but still at 1080p resolution? I'm contemplating saving $50 and going for 4GB because it sounds like there isn't much of a difference in 2016 unless you go beyond 1440p. I think I heard that 1440p might make a difference, but just a minor one, right?

It will be more than enough at 1080p. Mostly, it's Ultra/Hyper settings that start making a difference from 4GB to 8GB (there are plenty of videos and comparisons online).
100% of the time, those settings are just resource hogs and barely make them worth the investment.

If you're gaming at 1440p, then I don't think neither the GTX1060 or RX480 will suffice you for that many years .. they're primarily 1080p cards and that's where they excel at.
For 1440p on wards I'd recommend waiting for Vega or going for the GTX1070.

RootCause

$20 more than I expected. I'm a bit let down, honestly. :(

That, and the late launch is making me question if I should even get it. Had the Zotac Dual Fan on my cart, but decided not to checkout. It was going for $279.99

ClearData

I'm looking to purchase the Sapphire Nitro+ 480 in the coming months. It'll be my first AMD card. Are they well regarded? The PC World review I read was glowing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Right in line with what I expected, $20 more than reference. There was no way these would be the same or cheaper than reference at release.

If you don't mind not having the texture setting maxed out, it should probably last that long.

It will be more than enough at 1080p. Mostly, it's Ultra/Hyper settings that start making a difference from 4GB to 8GB (there are plenty of videos and comparisons online).
100% of the time, those settings are just resource hogs and barely make them worth the investment.

If you're gaming at 1440p, then I don't think neither the GTX1060 or RX480 will suffice you for that many years .. they're primarily 1080p cards and that's where they excel at.
For 1440p on wards I'd recommend waiting for Vega or going for the GTX1070.

Alright, thank you both for the answers. I game on my family's TV and that won't be switched out for a higher resolution screen for a long time, so I don't really worry about 1440p or 4k support too much. It sounds like maintaining "ultra" level texture settings are really the only other thing to worry about, but "very high" textures in third party games are still better than PS4 and Xbox One I imagine, and they might still beat out NEO and Scorpio as well. Looks like staying $50 lower budget might work out well, Sapphire's Nitro+ 480 4GB looks pretty good then.

DonMigs85

In Rise of The Tomb Raider's case, the highest texture setting only really looks improved at 1440p or higher. At 1080p it's hard to tell the diff unless you go right up next to it.
However, certain less optimized games may still benefit from 8GB even at 1080p, and AMD's drivers don't seem to manage VRAM quite as well as Nvidia. For example you needed a 4GB R9 380 to match a 2GB GTX 960's smoothness in AssCreed Unity. The 2GB 380 was stutter city.

Yes, I want to see how this overclocks on top of its boost. The 4GB version can get to 1400Mhz, achieved by the noobs at PC World, so this should reach that too. Only problem is that required full-speed fans.

I would hope 1380 would be nice with a healthy memory overclock.

The XFX 480 OC 8GB model I picked up can seemingly go from the stock OC 1288 to 1350 all day while slightly *undervolted*. I haven't bothered trying to overclock any higher since I honestly don't care. My primary goal is to lower TDP/thermals and maintain silence, so throwing a bit of overclocking in there is mostly just for fun to see how high it can go while undervolted. It does get pretty hot at about 81C when overclocked to 1350. But the fan isn't audible over my case/CPU fans...and most importantly the blower pushes that hot air out of the small case despite the mediocre thermal design.

Nutshell: If the Nitro won't hit 1400+ I'd be underwhelmed and somewhat surprised. I was considering returning the XFX and picking up the Nitro when it debuts, but since I managed to get a pretty good deal ($230) I might just keep it. I'm not sure the Nitro is worth $40 more in my book... Unless its common that they end up having crazy OC like 1450+.

Honestly, the Nitro's $270 price tag is disappointing when compared to the EVGA 1060 models at $250-$260.

wheeplash

In Rise of The Tomb Raider's case, the highest texture setting only really looks improved at 1440p or higher. At 1080p it's hard to tell the diff unless you go right up next to it.
However, certain less optimized games may still benefit from 8GB even at 1080p, and AMD's drivers don't seem to manage VRAM quite as well as Nvidia. For example you needed a 4GB R9 380 to match a 2GB GTX 960's smoothness in AssCreed Unity. The 2GB 380 was stutter city.

Let's not make things more confusing for people just getting into GPU land. Unity was a complete and utter shitshow altogether so it doesn't matter.

atbigelow

I am incredibly torn about what to do now. Was holding out for the AIBs to see how they performed. But they're creeping up toward that $300 range, and I don't want to pay that much.

I'm currently using a 270X on a WUXGA (1920x1200) monitor, so I figured I'd need a slight bit more oomph than 1080p.

A 480 in any flavor would be an improvement, I'm sure.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Having more video memory is never a bad thing, but typically speaking above 1440p is where it makes the most difference.

ASUS RX 480 STRIX OC 8 GB

Meh, not a good custom imo.

fannoise_load.png
perfrel_2560_1440.png
perf_oc.png

The temperatures are good though compared to reference.

that's quite a remarkable discrepancy to computer base's result's:

2016-07-2207_03_20-asltqsz.png

w3:

2016-07-2207_12_53-asi9sf1.png
witcher3_1920_1080.png

guess one should wait for more reviews.

I don't see any discrepancy. Look at where Strix is in CB.de review, not the Strix OC or Strix OC Max as these are tuned (OCed) modes. Seems to be rather the same as what TPU shows. But in any case my biggest concern is noise as it seems way too high for such custom of a 150W GPU.

really? there is quite a few really strange seeming things in both result, imo.

but first, just for reference the link to th CB review again https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/asus-radeon-rx-480-strix-test/2/#abschnitt_benchmarks_in_full_hd

1.) "Look at where Strix is in CB.de review, not the Strix OC or Strix OC Max as these are tuned (OCed) modes." - as to read in the CB review Strix OC is the factory overclock mode of the card. if that's not what TPU was testing (as implied by the titel RS480 OC in the graph), than it's what they should have been benching in the first place. strix OC max is the factory overclocked mode with power target option set to max (look for a wattman tutorial if you wanna know what that actually means). there's no higher than factory overclocking going on in either of those two results. one should take the power target non-max OC result as a comparision point though.

2.) kinda strange results in both reviews: when both were in fact done as described in 1.) you get a improvement of the strix480 in factory OC mode over the FE1060 of 3,1% in the CB review and a decline of 7,6% in the TPU review (for the quoted witcher3 bench). that's quite a stark contrast in my opinion.

3.) concerning the noise level some former posts:

That seems all good and well, I just wish the card would be a little quieter :/

suppose you don't speak german? they wrote that you can modify the fan profile with in a few steps to reach level in the lower 30db range. that's basically silent. a shame that one has to fiddle around with settings to archive that.

Oh I am infact from Germany but I missed this, I blame my four hours of sleep for it :p That's for pointing that out! :) I don't mind fiddling with it at all since I also have a custom fan-profile for my current 7970 but yeah out of the box it would have been nicer.

not saying that the asus strix 480 is a remarkable custom card, but doesn't seem all that bad either.

Top Bottom