• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX480 Review Thread, Launching Now!

SinSilla

1-3fps difference won't really be noticeable. Was there a price difference?
Also.. doesn't the Devil have some kind of extra quiet or extra low power mode or something that the other 480s lack?

Jeah i probably shouldn't lose my mind over 2fps. Might just be because my upgrade path isn't as promising as usual anyway.

Price would have been about the same, but i have just been told that the MSI only becomes available by the end of August (26th) here in germany while the Powercolor will arrive next monday.

My 970 is leaving me tomorrow so i get the Powercolor. Card has a "silent" bios (lower clock, lower tdp, even more silent?) which isn't of much use since the "oc" bios has a very good noise performance anyway. Migh as well see if it can be undervolted with the OC bios.

So what's the consensus on this card. Is it a good card in the price/performance ratio?

It's not the card everyone wanted it to be, but it sure as hell is a fantastic bang for the buck!

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/26.html

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the consensus on this card. Is it a good card in the price/performance ratio?

470 is. Probably the best price/performance option. 480 isn't much better but costs nearly $100 more. Slightly regret ordering the 480 Devil I snagged (should get it today), but hopefully the 8GB VRAM and driver updates will make it worth it down the line. Will probably try OCing the VRAM since it is a bit bandwidth starved.

Edit: Seems like my best GPU OC experience yet. Managed to max out the Wattman VRAM slider at 2250mhz without any artifacting or anything.

Haven't messed with the core, and it seems like bumping up the memory clock caused the core clock to take a bit of a hit. Sits at around 1275 with the memory OC. Power limit is still bugged on this card and locked to 5%, but it's also resetting every time I set it to that 5%. Fixing that would probably keep the core clock higher.

really depends on where you live and what your considerations are.

prices and availablity vary widely in different countries. if you live in britain the sapphire nitro+ 8GB seems to be a great deal at the moment (ordered one for GPR 237,99 yesterday). its up to 15% faster than the reference 480 (when overclocked even more). compared at stock or overclocked it's right up there with the best 1060ies (MSI 1060 Gaming X) out there in some prominent games (surely not all), while beeing 40-50 pounds less.

rfPxYci.png

4AcDL5D.png

PSkmOZQ.png

w8NAN3k.png

s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXT6I2--cJ4

that said, the low end 1060ies are much better designs than the reference 480.

warheat

prices and availablity vary widely in different countries. if you live in britain the sapphire nitro+ 8GB seems to be a great deal at the moment (ordered one for GPR 237,99 yesterday). its up to 20% faster than the reference 480 (when overclocked even more). compared at stock or overclocked it's right up there with the best 1060ies (MSI 1060 Gaming X) out there in some prominent games (surely not all), while beeing 40-50 pounds less.

rfPxYci.png

4AcDL5D.png

PSkmOZQ.png

w8NAN3k.png

s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXT6I2--cJ4

that said, the low end 1060ies are much better designs than the reference 480.

Is this review reliable? All benchs I saw is mostly 1060 beating 480 in DX11 both in stock and OC. And how about temps on RX 480?

Widge

Close to call between the 480 and 1060 from what I see going to there then. I need to buy one or the other for my dad and I'll plump for whatever is the cheapest.

I've seen the EVGA SC 1060 single fan coming in for about £237, which isn't bad at all.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
The 480 and 1060 are close enough in performance that which one you should get boils down to the details.

1. How significant is the price difference between the AIB boards for the 480 / 1060 for you
2. How much do you care about good DX12 performance and fantastic Vulkan performance in a few games vs all around good performance in DX11/12
3. Do gsync/freesync/etc matter to you
4. How much does power draw matter to you
5. Does overclocking matter to you

It was a tough decision for me. I can see DX12 being more and more important in the next year, and I personally would love for even the few Vulkan games (like id's games and idtech-licensed games) to run so friggin awesome. And I'd be potentially saving a buck or two with a 480. But end of the day I got a 1060 because one popped up in stock for an MSI for $250 and I still couldn't find decent RX480s in stock. I'm happy with it just as I'd be happy with a 480 though honestly, just keeping in mind that each card will have its pros and cons.

470 is. Probably the best price/performance option. 480 isn't much better but costs nearly $100 more. Slightly regret ordering the 480 Devil I snagged (should get it today), but hopefully the 8GB VRAM and driver updates will make it worth it down the line. Will probably try OCing the VRAM since it is a bit bandwidth starved.

Edit: Seems like my best GPU OC experience yet. Managed to max out the Wattman VRAM slider at 2250mhz without any artifacting or anything.

Haven't messed with the core, and it seems like bumping up the memory clock caused the core clock to take a bit of a hit. Sits at around 1275 with the memory OC. Power limit is still bugged on this card and locked to 5%, but it's also resetting every time I set it to that 5%. Fixing that would probably keep the core clock higher.

Where are you getting your pricing from? It is not a $100 difference, it is only a $20 difference between 4GB cards ($179 and $199).

I am very impressed with my 8GB card but I did jump from a HD 6850. I just wonder how much of a bottleneck I have with my FX-6100? I was thinking of trying to get a FX-8320 or 8350 for cheap.

tebunker

Banned
Where are you getting your pricing from? It is not a $100 difference, it is only a $20 difference between 4GB cards ($179 and $199).

I am very impressed with my 8GB card but I did jump from a HD 6850. I just wonder how much of a bottleneck I have with my FX-6100? I was thinking of trying to get a FX-8320 or 8350 for cheap.

They were talking about difference between 470 & 480 prices. Which are in the $70-$100 range of differences.

Me personally I am still waiting for the Sapphire Nitro Plus to come in stock or just generally better stock levels. I can wait for pricing to come back to msrp too. I'd like a new card, I am not in a rush for one.

Now in stock has helped me too, since it regularly updates with pricing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

$200 480s don't exist. If they did then things would be different, but they simply don't and probably never will since the 470 is now in that price bracket.

Currently 470s are about $200, and 480s are about $280 (or less for the awful reference cards, or more for some like XFX and Asus). If you manage to find an elusive 4GB 480, it will still run you $30+ more than a similar quality 470 while not even having the advantage of the extra VRAM. So that's a >15% premium for maybe 5% better performance.

Bolivar687

Banned
I really, really would not have done that. At that price point, you are better off with an 1070.

1070s regularly sell for $100 more with the same or marginally better performance.

Its the other way around, the 1070 is not a great option right now with all the deals clearing out 980 Tis.

$200 480s don't exist. If they did then things would be different, but they simply don't and probably never will since the 470 is now in that price bracket.

Currently 470s are about $200, and 480s are about $280 (or less for the awful reference cards, or more for some like XFX and Asus). If you manage to find an elusive 4GB 480, it will still run you $30+ more than a similar quality 470 while not even having the advantage of the extra VRAM. So that's a >15% premium for maybe 5% better performance.

I just received my 8GB RX 480 card (ASUS) and paid $330 Cdn. for it.

http://www.ncix.com/category/video-cards-radeon-rx-480-47-108-2260.htm

All of the RX 470's are priced between $270 and $350. The ASUS card is $300 and only 4GB.

http://www.ncix.com/category/video-cards-radeon-rx-470-03-108-2277.htm

If they are in stock or not may be a different story.

slash000

Zeboyd Games

Eh, there's an Asus Strix RX470 retailing for $189 on newegg: (not in stock obviously)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126123&cm_re=rx_470-_-14-126-123-_-Product

But practically speaking yes these (the rx470s) are all going to be $200 that are in stock since getting one less than that is seemingly impossible.

The $199 4gb RX480s exist only as reference cards (of which there don't seem to be available any more, and besides, blech), and secondly, the partners don't seem to be doing them much if at all. The Nitro 4gb RX480 is $230 but you're getting into 8gb 480 and 6gib 1060 price territory (the 8gb 480s arent much more, the 1060 is $250 for a few options with stock often coming avialable).. So really if you're on a budget, the realistically-available-RX470s for $190-$200 are your only bet. the $199 480s just practically speaking don't exist, at least outside of that brief launch window for ref cards.

Find me a 1070 for 330$ currently. Good luck.

I think he meant if you were gonna spend $330 you might as well have gone for a 1070. I disagree, I think $330 for a 980ti is a great deal, especially considering how high the prices for 1070s still are everywhere, which is basically $430 in stock right now.

He basically paid a hundred bucks less for a similar tier performance card with a little less future proofedness but shit $330 for a 980ti I'd take that in a heartbeat.

joecanada

Close to call between the 480 and 1060 from what I see going to there then. I need to buy one or the other for my dad and I'll plump for whatever is the cheapest.

I've seen the EVGA SC 1060 single fan coming in for about £237, which isn't bad at all.

yes I don't know where you are but here in Canada that one is pretty good price. however I have seen some people advise to throw in the extra 30 bucks for the OC edition of this card, apparently it runs cooler? even though its OC? I dunno I just read it somewhere.

also check out the Zotac AMP edition if you can fit a two fan card in your case. its pretty cheap here and I believe it comes with good warranty and decent pricing.... also the PNY which I don't like many of their products but I believe they are offering lifetime warranty if you register?

I wish I could suggest a 480 but I still don't see any good ones for very decent price here in Canada.... maybe the sapphire one.

kevin1025

Banned
yes I don't know where you are but here in Canada that one is pretty good price. however I have seen some people advise to throw in the extra 30 bucks for the OC edition of this card, apparently it runs cooler? even though its OC? I dunno I just read it somewhere.

also check out the Zotac AMP edition if you can fit a two fan card in your case. its pretty cheap here and I believe it comes with good warranty and decent pricing.... also the PNY which I don't like many of their products but I believe they are offering lifetime warranty if you register?

I wish I could suggest a 480 but I still don't see any good ones for very decent price here in Canada.... maybe the sapphire one.

This is where I'm at. I want to get an RX 480 8GB card at the end of September, but it's all reference cards in Canada and nothing else so far. It's pretty quiet and stock gets eaten up in less than an hour.

Then there's the EVGA 1060 mini card that's pretty much the same price here, and in some cases is cheaper.

Are things going to pick up more in terms of newer versions of the 480 or is there going to be this trickle out for a while longer?

Checking on Newegg, there's way more RX 470's around, and in stock, too.

Is this review reliable? All benchs I saw is mostly 1060 beating 480 in DX11 both in stock and OC. And how about temps on RX 480?

the witcher 3 benchs are in line with the computerbase review. so the shown graphs are probably legit.

the thing why the 1060 looks better in most reviews is, because they are comparing higher end 1060ies (like the msi gamingX) to the reference 480. the ref 480 is just rubbish (can't even keep up it's boostclock over 1200Mhz). the highend 480 cards like the the sapphire fare much better in most games. usually around +10% performance in most games.

V_Arnold

Sorry folks, I mistook that 980ti to a 980, that is why my mind jumped to "whaaat" mode immediately. Of course the Ti is the stronger version, in which case, good decision.

joecanada

This is where I'm at. I want to get an RX 480 8GB card at the end of September, but it's all reference cards in Canada and nothing else so far. It's pretty quiet and stock gets eaten up in less than an hour.

Then there's the EVGA 1060 mini card that's pretty much the same price here, and in some cases is cheaper.

Are things going to pick up more in terms of newer versions of the 480 or is there going to be this trickle out for a while longer?

Checking on Newegg, there's way more RX 470's around, and in stock, too.

Use PCPartPicker as a price checker that's what I do. The oc EVGA 1060 is about 349 and pny and zotac 1060 are about same. I haven't seen a Rx 480 under 389 except reference cards , no thanks . But yeah waiting may help .

You'd be surprised though how often vuugo , RBC, NCIX, are lower than Newegg ... Some have even had stock ! Lol

What? They exist. Mine even unlocked to an 8GB.

gallery_60983_11505_58342.jpg

kevin1025

Banned
Use PCPartPicker as a price checker that's what I do. The oc EVGA 1060 is about 349 and pny and zotac 1060 are about same. I haven't seen a Rx 480 under 389 except reference cards , no thanks . But yeah waiting may help .

You'd be surprised though how often vuugo , RBC, NCIX, are lower than Newegg ... Some have even had stock ! Lol

I will watch PCPartPicker more closely, thanks! I use it from time to time but should use it more often.

samn

prices and availablity vary widely in different countries. if you live in britain the sapphire nitro+ 8GB seems to be a great deal at the moment (ordered one for GPR 237,99 yesterday). its up to 20% faster than the reference 480 (when overclocked even more). compared at stock or overclocked it's right up there with the best 1060ies (MSI 1060 Gaming X) out there in some prominent games (surely not all), while beeing 40-50 pounds less.

Where did you order your sapphire from? Ordered a 4gb nitro from Scan a few weeks ago and they still haven't got it in stock, they don't know when they'll get it. Similar story with other sites looking at the custom 480s or ref 1060s.

Where did you order your sapphire from? Ordered a 4gb nitro from Scan a few weeks ago and they still haven't got it in stock, they don't know when they'll get it. Similar story with other sites looking at the custom 480s or ref 1060s.

amazon (only store that delivers to germany with acaptable shipping rates). they don't have it in stock yet. will get a nitro+ 470 for the meantime :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What? They exist. Mine even unlocked to an 8GB.

gallery_60983_11505_58342.jpg

"Don't exist" was an exaggeration, their availability is/was extremely limited and that's probably never going to change. A lot of sites never even listed them, and some seem to have removed listings. The fact nearly every 4GB reference card unlocked to 8GB is pretty telling, they just stuck a different bios on a handful of cards to be able to have something at that $200 price point that was originally announced.

Having both $200 480s and $180 470s that perform within a few percent of each other doesn't make sense.

LegendX48

Anyone here have the Sapphire Nitro 480? Been reading/hearing a lot that it's pretty damn loud and was wondering if anyone could chime in on that.

Anyone here have the Sapphire Nitro 480? Been reading/hearing a lot that it's pretty damn loud and was wondering if anyone could chime in on that.

The noise issue came from a eteknix review:

During idle states, the graphics card’s 0dB fan mode comes into operation and allows for silent running providing other components emit very little noise. This an excellent addition and ensures the system noise remains as low as possible when viewing online content, and other basic tasks. Annoyingly, a driver bug prevented me from accurately assessing the load noise output which is the reason why there’s no data being displayed below. AMD’s latest driver automatically overrides Sapphire’s tuned fan profile which results in ridiculously fast fan speeds above 2300RPM. Apparently, it’s because AMD targeted a 65C delta instead of 75C which the Sapphire model’s cooling apparatus is based upon.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to gauge load noise values due to a fan speed bug but I’m fairly confident that the graphics card will remain extremely quiet considering Sapphire’s reputation.

This is where the "The 480 is noisy" line of thinking came from.

Ptaaty

I had a reference RX 480 $240 which I sold and now have an XFX RX 480 GTR (black), $285 after Newegg code.

A couple quick thoughts - the performance delta alone clearly isn't worth the price jump...but I am happy with it for various reasons, worth $45 for me.

Build quality is absolutely top notch on the XFX GTR - anodized aluminum back plate, exceptional finish all around, very nice fan and heat sink design. It if FREAKING huge though...biggest card I ever had - the dual fan design looks like the Nitro - but this card is considerably larger than reference. 3 year warranty, 5 on the fans...fans have a cool quick replacement feature.

At first I was disappointed - it seemed almost the same noise level as reference...then I checked wattman - default settings must align with reference the fans were cranked up and it was holding temps in the mid 60s while 100% loaded.

Dropping fan speed on wattman to 2200 max (either not aligned to actual or these are the quietest fans I have ever heard in my life)...and it is very quiet - barely over my corsair H60 (hybrid liquid) with fan at 70%. Now it runs under 80C, usually about 75-77C while 100% loaded (freesync doom 1440p ultra or looping unigine heaven on 144Hz monitor). No throttling - rock solid 1340Mhz.

Let me know if you have any questions - there isn't much for reviews that I have seen.

Grifter

Can I get some advice? I have a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor. Will the RX480 handle those specs, perhaps with some compromise and freesync reliance?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Can I get some advice? I have a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor. Will the RX480 handle those specs, perhaps with some compromise and freesync reliance?

Definitely with compromise and relying on freesync. If you drop settings you can probably hit 40-50 FPS in more demanding games, which is probably in your monitors freesync range.

DonMigs85

Definitely with compromise and relying on freesync. If you drop settings you can probably hit 40-50 FPS in more demanding games, which is probably in your monitors freesync range.
Pretty much any game released before 2016 should be able to hit 1440p/60FPS maxed out as well.

I ordered a couple of these for myself and my wife.

Newegg has the Powercolor Red Devil 8GB 1290MHz cards for $269.

The 1330Mhz are $10 more, but I saved the $10 and will see if I can overclock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131697&cm_re=rx_480-_-14-131-697-_-Product

You'd think with that cooler it shouldn't be an issue...

It has a blackplate

8-pin instead of 6 pin

and " each phase provides 25W, instead of 22.5W from other boards, which enable higher Overclocking"

I ordered a couple of these for myself and my wife.

Newegg has the Powercolor Red Devil 8GB 1290MHz cards for $269.

The 1330Mhz are $10 more, but I saved the $10 and will see if I can overclock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131697&cm_re=rx_480-_-14-131-697-_-Product

You'd think with that cooler it shouldn't be an issue...

It has a blackplate

8-pin instead of 6 pin

and " each phase provides 25W, instead of 22.5W from other boards, which enable higher Overclocking"

Make sure you undervolt the card a bit and boost the power target to 50% before you overclock. 1090mV for the last 2 power states seems to be a general norm. You should definitely be able to hit 1,330Mhz that way; I can do it on my reference card.

LordCiego

Well, just recieved my Shappire Nitro 480 8GB OC. Comming from a GTX260(!!!), its a huge difference, Bought in Spain for 299€. Any reccomended wattman settings for this particular card?

Lets see how it performs in the Battlefield 1 open beta.

Hesh

But end of the day I got a 1060 because one popped up in stock for an MSI for $250 and I still couldn't find decent RX480s in stock. I'm happy with it just as I'd be happy with a 480 though honestly, just keeping in mind that each card will have its pros and cons.

Exact boat I'm in. I was upgrading from an Asus R9 270 and I was so stoked to get a Nitro+ but the damn things never came in stock at a retailer instead of a gouging d-bag on the market. Ended up getting an ASUS ROG OC 1060 because they popped up in stock first. I'm happy with it, but if I could have I would have that Nitro+ right now instead, Oh well, here's hoping I don't end up getting bit on the ass in the future but at the very least I can finally play Arkham City with Physx enabled so... yay?

Well, just recieved my Shappire Nitro 480 8GB OC. Comming from a GTX260(!!!), its a huge difference, Bought in Spain for 299€. Any reccomended wattman settings for this particular card?

Lets see how it performs in the Battlefield 1 open beta.

You'll be really pleased with it. The 480 leaves the 1060 in the dust in Deus Ex and that's in DX11 mode. It's generally faster in newer titles also like Warhammer, Forza 6 Apex, Gears of War: UE or DOOM and I'd expect the same in BF1. As for recommended settings not up to date since the Trixx update.

AMD really needs to step up on their Polaris supplies, the channel seems really dry. They are missing out on a huge opportunity it seems.

Or maybe they never really wanted to sell that many 480s (yields and all) and will probably pump out a lot of 470s.

Irobot82

AMD really needs to step up on their Polaris supplies, the channel seems really dry. They are missing out on a huge opportunity it seems.

Or maybe they never really wanted to sell that many 480s (yields and all) and will probably pump out a lot of 470s.

I'm beginning to feel that much of their supply is going to New markets like China.

Woo-Fu

Banned

I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot on that one. Having very little supply all they really did was give Nvidia fair warning who in turn replied practically instantly. AMD had a window, that window is looking closed.

I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot on that one. Having very little supply all they really did was give Nvidia fair warning who in turn replied practically instantly. AMD had a window, that window is looking closed.

I didn't have any issues buying mine... Or are you talking specifically about the 4GB reference model?

Strife91

The card is pretty much non-existent in Sweden. Some stores won't get re-stocks in weeks. The card cost as much as a 1060 or more. AMD really seem to be prioritizing the American market. I really want to get this card, but AMD is making it really difficult for me.

The card is pretty much non-existent in Sweden. Some stores won't get re-stocks in weeks. The card cost as much as a 1060 or more. AMD really seem to be prioritizing the American market. I really want to get this card, but AMD is making it really difficult for me.

Gotcha... my bad, then. I live in Korea but I ordered from an American company...

Amazon ships internationally and have Sweden listed as a country they service. Have you tried ordering one from them?

I've noticed some brands don't ship here, though... For reference, I was going to buy an MSI motherboard once, but they wouldn't ship it here. I selected an ASRock board and it came no problem...

Now there's a box to check on the left side that weeds out things that can't ship to Korea... Maybe there's something similar for Sweden if you go there.

Grifter

Pretty much any game released before 2016 should be able to hit 1440p/60FPS maxed out as well.

Cheers. Went ahead and ordered a NITRO+ 1342Mhz. Sounds like I'd need a 1070 to fully drive this monitor but I'd lose freesync and bring up other likely PC updates, and I've been mainly a console gamer. Looking to play SFV, Tekken 7, and Deus Ex on PC.

Just bought a Nitro+ OC 480 8GB from Amazon for £237 as I had a voucher credit. Only prob is 'expected shipment is September-October'. They don't have it in stock atm. But if I see it cheap elsewhere in meantime I suppose I can cancel. Can't wait as it's clearly a card built for new games. Performance in DOOM and Deus Ex is awesome.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I didn't have any issues buying mine... Or are you talking specifically about the 4GB reference model?

Yay, somebody who didn't have any issues and assumes that it should hold true for everybody else in every region. Good for you.

I checked almost every day for the last month and never saw a 480 4GB or 8GB at a reasonable price. Either they were always sold out or they had a hell of a markup. Meanwhile 2nd week into that month nvidia's answer was in stock practically everywhere I checked.

Top Bottom