• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

I'll have to listen back to hear just what I said. Don't think people should be happy about XL being the only option, and NOA's communication has been poor throughout. However, I don't think this situation is comparable to games not being localized, as some people above have implied. The new system is coming out here, and you have the choice to buy it or not. This is more like a certain color or special edition not getting a release (though a more significant variant -- I'm not being glib here).

This episode is already off to a great start. I really like your overreactions to the missing charger in the box. We (Europeans) have dealt with it for years and honestly it is no big deal. A micro USB port on the system would definitely be preferred but there are 3DS charger cables that can be used with a USB charger that are 5 bucks. And Johnny you are wrong about the New 3DS XL being a niche device. Sure, it is a stopgap device. But this is the system for the next 18 months maybe even 24 months. And if shelve space is an issue, make the smaller one online exclusive or discontinue the 2DS. No one should defend NOA for this stupid decision.

Will listen to the rest of the episode now.

Tom_Cody

I listened to the first bit of it on the way to work. I'm surprised that the controversies got as much attention as they did. I am among the overwhelming majority that prefer the XL models (I have the Monster Hunter bundle pre-ordered) and I have accumulated three DS/3DS chargers over the years thanks to my DSiXL, 3DS, and 3DS XL.

I get the annoyance about the lack of the n3DS lite to some degree, but I fully expect they will release it later in the year once retailers have fully cleared out their stock of older 3DS, 3DS XL, and 2DS models.

Regarding the charger, they could have sold it as it is or they could have sold it for $10 more with charger. I'm fine with the route they went. I really can't fathom why anyone is upset over this.

OMG Aero

By far the worst thing about America not getting the regular new 3DS is that we're going to hear James be mad about it whenever the new 3DS comes up on the podcast from now until eternity.

Neifirst

Good discussion overall, but I think you guys were off the mark regarding Wii game pricing.

Metroid Prime Trilogy easily goes for $45 (and this is after the announcement, it was more like $60-70 before). Super Mario Galaxy 2 was never a Nintendo Select - it got marked down to $29.99 along with Brawl and DK Returns a couple years ago, but copies were not in ample supply. It goes for anywhere from $25-35 used. Punch-Out used also goes for north of $25, except for NoA's own refurbished section.

IMO, once Nintendo releases Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (which goes for $60+ used), the entire initiative will have fulfilled its purpose.

silks

By far the worst thing about America not getting the regular new 3DS is that we're going to hear James be mad about it whenever the new 3DS comes up on the podcast from now until eternity.

We needed a next-gen version of Mario Kart 8 anyways.

What floored me is that for once, I was the guy being positive about Nintendo in an ocean of negativity. Strange days...

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was never a Nintendo Select - it got marked down to $29.99 along with Brawl and DK Returns a couple years ago, but copies were not in ample supply. It goes for anywhere from $25-35 used.

Yeah, I actually found out recently that it's kind of hard to find online, most retailers are sold out. Galaxy 1 is no problem to find, but $20 for Galaxy 2 is genuinely a good deal.

Thanks everyone, the inputs on Wii game pricing have been truly informative. Clearly, our podcast crew just isn't in the market for buying Wii games lately -- I hope that's understandable and that our ignorance is forgivable.

If you don't already have those two, they are both no-brainer at that price. You can play them later and will enjoy them just as much then, as they are timeless classics.

leroidys

Some previous RFN episodes had me kinda interested in picking up Tekken Tag 2, but I just stumbled across this and, holy shit, this seals the deal. What is this song doing in the game?

Immediately ordered. May my wallet have mercy.

mrkgoo

If you don't already have those two, they are both no-brainer at that price. You can play them later and will enjoy them just as much then, as they are timeless classics.
It all depends.

I'm in NZ and the prices Alfie games are expensive here. Regular retail for a 3DS game is NZ$80 (maybe US$50-60), and wii u games are nz $100 (us$70-80). The wii title on eshop are nz$34.

While cheaper than retail, I'm budget gaming because instant really affor too many games, only getting launch day titles occasionally. I'm just playing NSMBU now but I picked that up at clearance for nz$32. And this is typically what I have to go for (clearance titles) these days. So I feel wii e shop games for ME are expensive at nz$34.

Ondore

In preparation for the predictions special (motto: All Predictions Wrong Or Your Money Back), here's last year's.

Turns out refunds are only due for "X shows up at multiple Directs but doesn't release", though the "Miyamoto's last projects are at E3" might get a half point for Jonny.

In preparation for the predictions special (motto: All Predictions Wrong Or Your Money Back), here's last year's.

Turns out refunds are only due for "X shows up at multiple Directs but doesn't release", though the "Miyamoto's last projects are at E3" might get a half point for Jonny.

I feel like James always wins these.

And Gui needs to let Skip go. They're probably making assets for Mario Party or something.

I have considered getting Galaxy 2 and Metroid Prime Trilogy. The only thing keeping me away is my insane backlog.

I've been on a mission to slay my backlog the past two years and I've almost got it down to 12 games (it would be more, but I don't think I can bring myself to save-scum my way through NES Kid Icarus, I'm with James on how fun-deprived that game is). But I'm jumping on the two you just mentioned while they're $10 because they're all-time top tier classics and I know I want to own them whether I finish them now or later. The price is as good as it's gonna get.

I've been on a mission to slay my backlog the past two years and I've almost got it down to 12 games (it would be more, but I don't think I can bring myself to save-scum my way through NES Kid Icarus, I'm with James on how fun-deprived that game is). But I'm jumping on the two you just mentioned while they're $10 because they're all-time top tier classics and I know I want to own them whether I finish them now or later. The price is as good as it's gonna get.
The 3D Classics version of Kid Icarus is superior in so many ways. I think they tweaked the difficulty and arbitrariness of it.

I also have no compunction about save stating my way through NES games. I'm not eight years old anymore and the days I was able to spend throwing myself against an impenetrable wall of difficulty for hours on end are over.

The 3D Classics version of Kid Icarus is superior in so many ways. I think they tweaked the difficulty and arbitrariness of it.

I'm with you brother - the original Kid Icarus would have been just as much of a classic Nintendo game as some of its other heavy hitters if it hadn't been trapped behind bullshit like slide lands. The 3D Classics version is not only the (obviously) definitive version of the title, but one of the most unique (and engaging) NES games period.

Even so far as the core game is concerned... the music, surrealism, and verticality blend together with such synergy that I'm always consistently surprised when people bring up their distaste for the original (even WITH its flaws). Thought that boggles my mind infinitely less than when people hate on Uprising - one of the best first-party games across any platform from the past decade.

All of that being said... Of Myths and Monsters can fuck right off

Anyway, I have two episodes of RFN in reserve at the moment... I'm saving them for February 1st, when I'll be traveling through Chicago on a myriad of public transportation systems hunting for amiibos. It's going to be my own special way of saying "fuck you" to James <3

Zornica

Banned
I think this whole AC adapter controversy is kinda missing the point. people shouldn't complain for not getting an AC adapter, they should complain about systems with proprietary connectors. As James pointed out, everything comes with an AC adapter, but I don't see that as a good thing. I've got several huge drawer full of useless AC adapter/cable junk that I accumulated over the last 20 years. Stuff I never used and will never ever use, they may as well take those resources and do something more useful with them.

tldr: I don't need more useless shit, just give me the option to use the junk I already own.

Weetrick

I think this whole AC adapter controversy is kinda missing the point. people shouldn't complain for not getting an AC adapter, they should complain about systems with proprietary connectors. As James pointed out, everything comes with an AC adapter, but I don't see that as a good thing. I've got several huge drawer full of useless AC adapter/cable junk that I accumulated over the last 20 years. Stuff I never used and will never ever use, they may as well take those resources and do something more useful with them.

tldr: I don't need more useless shit, just give me the option to use the junk I already own.

A standard cable would be great, but I would still want a cable. I like having several chargers for my things - One next to my bed, one in the living room, one at the office, etc.

Zornica

Banned
A standard cable would be great, but I would still want a cable. I like having several chargers for my things - One next to my bed, one in the living room, one at the office, etc.

well, you could also buy those for 80 cents each on amazon if you really need them ;)
(that's how much the cheapest 3ds charger costs atm)

Tom_Cody

Their next handheld absolutely needs to run on USB. And have a single, glass screen.
0DZdHVQ.gif

No one is ever taking my second screen.

Links_fantasy

DK Tropical Freeze is way better than Kirby Tripple Deluxe, and I thought Fantasy Life would have got some love in the top 5. Theatrythym FF is also a game with tons of replay and DLC coming out and so much fun too.

OMG Aero

I've got your back on Kirby Triple Deluxe, Jonny.
It's an incredible game and easily up with the best games on the 3DS. Among other things it has some really fantastic boss fights and the series of last boss fights from Dedede to the real final boss' final form is amazing (the music is great too)

I'll echo what Guillaume said too and say that if you really liked Triple Deluxe you owe it to yourself to try Return to Dreamland when that comes out on the Wii U eShop. Triple Deluxe is pretty much a handheld sequel of Return to Dreamland so if you like Triple Deluxe I see no reason why you wouldn't like Return to Dreamland either. The only real differences are that instead of hypernova sections you have super versions of Kirby's other abilities (so one stage will give you a super powered sword ability and some puzzles to solve with it, while another stage will give you super ice etc) and it also has 4 player co-op if you can find people to try that out with.

Yeah, sounds great! I think it is already out for eShop in Japan, so hopefully not long to wait here. We briefly considered it for RetroActive once before, but it was still roughly full price.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
DK Tropical Freeze is way better than Kirby Tripple Deluxe, and I thought Fantasy Life would have got some love in the top 5. Theatrythym FF is also a game with tons of replay and DLC coming out and so much fun too.

Yea I really enjoyed Triple Deluxe myself but felt DKC was the stronger sidescrolling platformer. Both are very solid experience though, with Triple being the first Kirby game since Adventure on NES/GBA I have enjoyed pushing through.

Theatrhythm 2 was the largest surprise given that I generally have disliked playing music rhythm timing games almost entirely across the board, but this one kept me glued for weeks. Even bought most of the DLC, the package just completely caught me off guard.

Didn't realize Gargoyle's Quest 2 and Demon's Crest hit eShop. Really loved those games way back, though I do recall Demon's Crest falling apart in the back-end of the game sadly(been too long to recall specifics after a couple decades, but it was a critical complaint I had back in the 90's after finishing it).

Ondore

The predictions show has another guest to be horribly, horribly wrong. It's on the feeds, but there's no show post yet. Here's the description:
Episode 414 "Gltter Glory" said:
There are two particular episodes we do every January. One is the Top Five Games show, which you heard last week. The other one, which we on the show don't enjoy nearly as much as our audience, is the annual predictions feature. This time, we enlisted an old friend to make this chore a lot less cringe-worthy... But more on that later.

Up front in New Business, we take a critical view of several new games that are promising, but with obvious flaws. Leading that pack, perhaps inevitably, is the brand new demo for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on 3DS (with enhancements for New 3DS). Both veteran Jon and dabbler James had a taste of Capcom's upcoming game, including an online session together. What we learn is that yep, this sure is going to be Monster Hunter, and nope, the demo probably won't help anyone unlock the secret to enjoying this divisive series. Gui is far more positive on Chariot, the indie platformer just released on Wii U eShop, but the controls may be frustrating for the kind of intricate cooperation this game requires. Jonny finished up Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and definitely comes out positive on this weird little package from Nintendo, even though it ends in a whimper. James rounds out the opening segment with his first dedicated report on Persona Q, and his take on it will probably surprise you as much as it did us.

Then, it's finally time for our dumbass predictions for the rest of 2015. Thank goodness we have such a great special guest to class up the proceedings. We tried to keep it secret, but if you haven't heard by now... (spoiler alert) Chris Kohler accepted the challenge of predicting one of the most unpredictable forces in video games. He's a true Nintendo expert in the world of professional games media, and you better bet that he came prepared. The rest of us delivered the usual mix of trend-spotting, wishful thinking, and completely goofball ideas that our listeners know and love to mock all year long.

We'll try to get back to normal next time, so feed that email inbox and/or fling something pithy at our new Twitter account: @RFNpodcast! You should also read Chris Kohler's provocative work over at Wired Game|Life and listen to his fun and informative podcasts, Game|Life and Good Job Brain!

Time: 2'15"23
Downloads: MP3 | AAC
Guaranteed: Hilarity

Yesterday, Kohler predicted DQXI would be a mobile exclusive despite Horii's assertions to the contrary, so I hope that's the kind of obnoxious fatalism we can expect from the rest of his predictions.

Kansoku

I think I'm weird, because I didn't really had any problems with the items in MonHun. (tri was my first). I had problems with the weapons though, and gaijin hunter's videos are helping me a lot with it, so you guys should check them.

Anyway, thanks Guillaume, I will never forget glitter Metroid.

Crimm

Anyway, thanks Guillaume, I will never forget glitter Metroid.

It's weird that the voices I heard during my stroke were somehow recorded and passed on to everyone else.

As for the MonHun items, it's not that they're confusing per se, it's more of a lack of explanation as to how they're used and what they do. This is something I'd expect to be better remedied in the full game, but in a series where hunting down monsters is a means to improve your lot, you would expect the demo touch on that.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Um... am I alone in thinking it's absolutely insane that Kohler thinks Team Ninja will get another crack at Metroid?

That is like... definitely not happening. Metroid Other M was a complete failure both critically and from a sales prospective. It's kind of crazy to say "well, that doesn't matter, it's the relationship that matters."

I would just be completely baffled if TN was taking on Metroid again.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kohler still insisting on Nintendo's problem with HD development after two years, when they just released and have a bunch of great looking WiiU titles scheduled is weird.

Hmm....

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah, Metroid Other M was such a huge career-ender of a failure that Nintendo...

...let them make a Zelda next.
But Hyrule Warriors is a Musou game developed by Koei/Omega Force using the Zelda IP and not Team Ninja. I don't think we will see another Team Ninja Metroid.... Critically and commercialy the title underperformed compared to the Prime series.

But to be fair Team Ninja were developing the game Nintendo and Sakamoto wanted them to make, so we can't just blame Team Ninja for the outcome.

Top Bottom