• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead announces OK Computer 20th Anniversary set (w/ unreleased tracks)

A-V-B

Typed by somebody who's not listened to the mastering on the last 3 Radiohead albums, clearly.

This will sound worse than the original.

Yeah, possible translation: we're going to further crush the shit out of the album's dynamic range.

At least that's what remaster usually means these days.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! Hoping I can find the CD edition here, instead of having to import it. The box set looks great, but it's a bit expensive and I have no way to play vinyls. Wish it came on CDs instead (or costed $10 more expensive and included both).

Blader

Nice! Hoping I can find the CD edition here, instead of having to import it. The box set looks great, but it's a bit expensive and I have no way to play vinyls. Wish it came on CDs instead (or costed $10 more expensive and included both).

Unless you need the CD, the box set also comes with a download code for the album.

I don't think I Promise, Man O War, and Lift are songs that were actually recorded during the OKC sessions, as they probably would've released them on one of the many EPs. Wouldn't really make sense to have them record Lift in 2015 (which we know they did) but then put the old version on this set and then rerelease it again for LP10. These songs definitely came around during OKC but I don't they were ever fully recorded, as the band thought they were inadequate.

They were definitely recorded, Ed at the very least as talked about it before, but they didn't think they had them down yet and kept trying to redo them with every album. I assume they finally just realized the old arrangements were indeed the best ones they had.

Definitely at least picking up the MP3 version - despite owning it already through iTunes and on CD - for Man of War and Lift.

But if they do a Kid A version in a few years time for its 20th anniversary, especially a mega collectors edition like OKC?

giphy.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Unless you need the CD, the box set also comes with a download code for the album.
I already have access to the digital version thanks to Google Play Music, so I'd love to own the CD and add it to my collection.

There wasn't a The Bends anniversary collection like this one, right? I only got into the band a month or two ago, and it's my favorite album along with OK Computer. Haven't heard anything after Hail to the Thief yet, so that may change (I've heard that In Rainbows is great too).

I already have access to the digital version thanks to Google Play Music, so I'd love to own the CD and add it to my collection.

There wasn't a The Bends anniversary collection like this one, right? I only got into the band a month or two ago, and it's my favorite album along with OK Computer. Haven't heard anything after Hail to the Thief yet, so that may change (I've heard that In Rainbows is great too).

Listen to In Rainbows immediately, it's possibly their best record. A Moon Shaped Pool is up there as well.

But no, no The Bends anniversary happened because EMI still owned their back catalogue at the time.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Listen to In Rainbows immediately, it's possibly their best record. A Moon Shaped Pool is up there as well.

But no, no The Bends anniversary happened because EMI still owned their back catalogue at the time.
Damn, that sucks. Hopefully they'll do something for the 30th anniversary!

And I'm definitely going to listen to In Rainbows soon. It's next on my list, because I'm going through every album in order. It's just that Kid A and Amnesiac (especially the former) took a while to settle in, and I wanted to appreciate them well enough before moving on, so I stopped after listening to Hail to the Thief twice and went back.

Besides, OK Computer is so good I find myself listening to it at least once every two days or so.

Damn, that sucks. Hopefully they'll do something for the 30th anniversary!

And I'm definitely going to listen to In Rainbows soon. It's next on my list, because I'm going through every album in order. It's just that Kid A and Amnesiac (especially the former) took a while to settle in, and I wanted to appreciate them well enough before moving on, so I stopped after listening to Hail to the Thief twice and went back.

Besides, OK Computer is so good I find myself listening to it at least once every two days or so.

Word. Are you getting into the b-sides as well? Definitely make sure to catch them as well, unlike other a lot of bands their non-album tracks aren't half-assed extras, they're actually some of their best music period.

But yeah, 25th anniversary for the Bends is in 2020 anyway, who knows, they could do something then too.

PillarEN

This news got me listening to The Bends again (that's kind of my Radiohead spot) and I looked at the wiki for that album and saw a one star review from the Chicago Tribune (from the release date so this guy couldn't rely on public opinion which I actually respect unlike some videogame reviewers, eh). It's pretty funny reading "Lacking that dubious appeal, there's little on the British group's second record to suggest they'll be more than one-hit wonders". Oops. But yeah.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-04-27/features/9504270038_1_black-star-moody-blues-radiohead

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Word. Are you getting into the b-sides as well? Definitely make sure to catch them as well, unlike other a lot of bands their non-album tracks aren't half-assed extras, they're actually some of their best music period.

But yeah, 25th anniversary for the Bends is in 2020 anyway, who knows, they could do something then too.
I listened to all the Pablo Honey and The Bends singles that are available on Google's service, and to be honest I didn't really like most of them. Many songs were very simple or felt like lesser versions of their album counterparts. Not saying they are bad, but there's nothing essential there to me. That said, I'll make sure to give them another chance eventually.

This news got me listening to The Bends again (that's kind of my Radiohead spot) and I looked at the wiki for that album and saw a one star review from the Chicago Tribune (from the release date so this guy couldn't rely on public opinion which I actually respect unlike some videogame reviewers, eh). It's pretty funny reading "Lacking that dubious appeal, there's little on the British group's second record to suggest they'll be more than one-hit wonders". Oops. But yeah.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-04-27/features/9504270038_1_black-star-moody-blues-radiohead
To be fair, I hated that album and OK Computer when I first heard them 2 or 3 years ago. This could have been me, giving the album the lowest possible rating and thinking it was worthless. Maybe it's a matter of training the ear by hearing similar stuff, or tastes changing with time or something like that. No idea, but when it eventually clicked, it was good.

I listened to all the Pablo Honey and The Bends singles that are available on Google's service, and to be honest I didn't really like most of them. Many songs were very simple or felt like lesser versions of their album counterparts. Not saying they are bad, but there's nothing essential there to me. That said, I'll make sure to give them another chance eventually.

To be fair, I hated that album and OK Computer when I first heard them 2 or 3 years ago. This could have been me, giving the album the lowest possible rating and thinking it was worthless. Maybe it's a matter of training the ear by hearing similar stuff, or tastes changing with time or something like that. No idea, but when it eventually clicked, it was good.

The Bends b-sides you can definitely skip (except for Talk Show Host - one of their best tracks) and Pablo Honey even moreso.

Honestly, they get really good around Amnesiac, the b-sides for which are among their very best work (see: Worrywort, Cuttooth, The Amazing Sounds of Orgy, Fog)

At bare minimum I would make absolutely sure to catch these:
the Amnesiac ones I mentioned above
Gagging Order, from Hail to the Thief
In Rainbows disc 2 (whole thing, especially Last Flowers, Go Slowly, Up on the Ladder)
Staircase
The Daily Mail
These Are My Twisted Words
The Butcher
Supercollider
Spectre

Tall4Life

The Bends b-sides you can definitely skip (except for Talk Show Host - one of their best tracks) and Pablo Honey even moreso.

Honestly, they get really good around Amnesiac, the b-sides for which are among their very best work (see: Worrywort, Cuttooth, The Amazing Sounds of Orgy, Fog)

In Rainbows disc 2 (whole thing, especially Last Flowers, Go Slowly, Up on the Ladder)
Staircase
The Daily Mail
The Butcher
Supercollider
Spectre
dawg what is this

yeah what you have are great b-sides, but the bends has awesome b-sides, some of my favorites

Banana Co
The Trickster
Maquiladora
Killer Cars
India Rubber
Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong
Lewis
Lozenge of Love
Permanent Daylight

the OKC b-sides are killer too, basically all of whats in this set

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Staircase
The Daily Mail
The Butcher
Supercollider
Spectre
Thanks a lot for these recommendations! I'm going to listen to all of them. I should also give Hail to the Thief a few more goes, as I can't remember any of the songs, even though I did like most of them.

Blader

I don't know if The Bends would be a big enough deal for them to do an anniversary collection over. I feel like if any other albums get this treatment, it'll be Kid A and In Rainbows -- their other equally landmark works and the ones with equally productive recording sessions with a bunch of unreleased tracks left to be mined. I feel like the vaults from The Bends sessions are probably fairly empty by now, in terms of unreleased songs at least.

Thanks a lot for these recommendations! I'm going to listen to all of them. I should also give Hail to the Thief a few more goes, as I can't remember any of the songs, even though I did like most of them.
Yeah, Hail to the Thief took me years to fully appreciate everything on there. It's the sloggiest of Radiohead albums. There was a lot of stuff I really liked when I first got into them like 2+2=5, Sit Down Stand Up, There There, Wolf at the Door etc. that kind of immediately jumped out at me, but it took me years to really appreciate some of the other tracks on there. Like say Scatterbrain or Go to Sleep, or The Gloaming especially after hearing the much superior From the Basement cut of it.

I don't know if The Bends would be a big enough deal for them to do an anniversary collection over. I feel like if any other albums get this treatment, it'll be Kid A and In Rainbows -- their other equally landmark works and the ones with equally productive recording sessions with a bunch of unreleased tracks left to be mined. I feel like the vaults from The Bends sessions are probably fairly empty by now, in terms of unreleased songs at least.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking I couldn't rule it out since it's kind of a big moment in their career as their breakout album and is considered by many to be a classic.

And I do wonder if they won't maybe do a Kid A/Amnesiac anniversary thing together if they go down that road, since those albums came from the same sessions and the b-sides from Amnesiac are either hard to find on vinyl, or have straight up never been pressed.

trashest opinion ive ever heard in my goddamn life

Haha, I don't know, a lot of people like them but most of them stray too heavy towards Pablo Honey-esque Radiohead for my tastes. There are some decent ones in there like Permanent Daylight or Bishops Robes, and then obviously Talk Show Host is great.

rhino4evr

Lol...skipping the Bends B-sides is not great advice. Some really strong material on the my iron lung ep.

Here is my tip regarding Radiohead.

Don't skip anything.

I bought the box set, which I feel a little guilty about as I don't have the money at the moment, but this is my favorite album of all time. So....

man, I wish I still had my 10 GBs of outtakes and live recordings.

There were some fantastic live fan 'albums' put together of their live b-sides that'd fit in perfectly here.

Dang I really like it, Unlike Lift and Big Boots I never actually listened to any version of I Promise so this was a first time for me. It's a nice simple song.

Top Bottom