• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead's 'OK Computer' is 20 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Holy shit that is amazing.

I still remember where I was when I first got this album. Broke off the packaging and listened to it on the way home from Best Buy (in the past that is how we used to buy music). I was so blown away the first time I listened to it. I still remember that feeling 20 years later.

I cannot even estimate how much I listened to this cd over the next 10 years. It was the background to a lot of studying, reading, videogames and road trips.

I am only slightly older than this album lol

It was the first album of theirs that I listened to, my older brother had the CD and after hearing it all the way through I just started listening to everything by Radiohead. Was obsessed then and I'm still obsessed now. Seeing them at Madison Square Garden last July was incredible. They've had a big impact on my life.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Every time I think I've reached peak befuddlement from your posts, you continue to outdo it.

image.php

I vaguely remember someone in the British press describing them at the time as 'Punk Floyd', not entirely accurate but that description has stuck with me.

It cut through the cheeky chappy 'Mad for it' Brit pop era mercilessly and along with the following year's Mezzanine by Massive Attack defined the late nineties for me. It'll forever mark school ending and college beginning.

Climbing Up the Walls
Exit Music (for a film)
And
Lucky

An absolute masterpiece, one of the best ever and by a huge margin the best among Radiohead's catalog.

You know what, I'm going to listen it right now :D

calder

An absolute classic and one of my top 5 favourite albums ever.

In winter 1998 I had to drive by myself for 10 hours through shitty weather on terrible roads and I would listen to OK Computer on repeat for hours. After a few listens driving on dark, empty roads in the snow I'd start to doubt my existence lol.

Griss

This and Kid A were and always will be the defining albums of my youth / young adulthood. Meant a tremendous amount to me at the time.

Best songs:
Subterranean Homesick Alien
Let Down
Paranoid Android
The Tourist

"Worst" Songs:
Fitter Happier
Electioneering

Fisty

I think one of the most mystifying things about this album is how fucking momentary it was. Nothing before or after really sounded like it. Not even Radiohead sounded like it before or after. Shit, their EP's and b-sides from the same sessions didn't even sound like it. It's like god said "... let's see how they handle this one!" and OK Computer was born.

Seeing them live on the first show of their In Rainbows tour was definitely a highlight for me

Damn. This album is now twice as old as it was when i really started listening to it. Good lord. It's of a time and place in my life that is unrecoverable and impossible to replicate, there's such a strong i don't know what because i don't understand music but there's some sort or really expressive and melodic and complex identity to the album that it really feels like a person, like an emotional musical archive of a person in a specific moments of its life. Just... total mastery of the form and a richness of personality and narrative. And that was really inviting to me.

Blader

I agree, it's too rocky.

I think I remember reading some members of the band didn't like it as much either.

Thom doesn't like it, which is probably why they haven't played it in 20 years either. Though I was hoping that last year, of all years, would've been the perfect opportunity to break it out again...

Sullichin

In a deep, deep sleep of the innocent
I am born again
In a fast german car
I'm amazed that I survived
An airbag saved my life

eh it's not In Rainbows but at least it has "Exit Music (For a Film)"

i just realize i don't like most their albums but a mega list of bits and pieces of them all into one playlist OR when i'm lazy just the In The Basement session

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Nice to see Peon shitting up music threads instead of just movies.

Loved this cassette tape, though I think I was a little late. I remember hating Kid A initially because I wasn't done with OK Computer Radiohead yet.

TheMan

just amazing work, still the standard I judge them by. Just classic after classic. I'll always be grateful to my freshman year roommate for playing so much Radiohead and getting me into that band...16 years ago, shit.

see5harp

It wasn't just the album that came out when I was still in high school, but a few years later the Meeting People Is Easy documentary came out on DVD which really blew my mind.

Servbot24

Banned
It's the best album of all time. It feels like being submerged in high-pressure depths. I don't really know how better to describe it.

Doodis

Wow, 20 years? I'm feeling so old (because I am). Such a great album. Haven't listened to it in a long time. Guess I know what I'm listening to on the way home.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I was in 5th grade when this completely changed my taste in music. It still SOUNDS like the world I live in. No other album really does.

One of my favorite albums by one of my favorite bands. Probably gonna bump it today in honor of it's 20th.

Let Down is probably my personal favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom