• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead's 'OK Computer' is 20 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

TissueBox

Ah yes. OK Computer. Radiohead's best album, and their second- and third-best, also probably their fourth. And then there's Kid A, and then the rest.

Schmitty

I remember hearing Paranoid Android for the first time about 8 years after it came out during beginning of high school when a friend of mine kept bugging me that I had to hear this song.

Every since then I have been listening to Radiohead consistently. OKC will always be my go to Radiohead album.

Let Down is my favorite by far on the album and from the band. When I saw them play it live at MSG last summer, it made the night unforgettable

Altazor

Fucking amazing album. Depending on the day and my mood, it's my favorite RH album - it's either this or Kid A, anyway.

EDIT: "Let Down" just... destroys me. That part, you know how it goes: "bouncing back and one day I am gonna grow wings..." The vocal counterpoint there, Thom hitting the falsetto, fuck.

I'm more partial to The Bends, but both are perfect albums. I was listening to this in the shower this morning, pure coincidence. Lovely.

Mutant

I... I think I dislike the album, after Paranoid Android it's one slow song after another and to break up the that dower pace they put in that terrible electioneering song.

A lot of the songs by themselves are beautiful and good. But as a whole it's kinda eh... eh...

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm old. Sheesh. I remember buying this cause it was all the rage and everyone was raving about it, fell asleep during my first listen. Fell asleep during my second, then the third, and the forth and so forth and so on.

I have never been able to get through this album, it always puts me to sleep. It's ridiculous.

Xun

I had always appreciated the album and saw it as a masterpiece, but it wasn't until late last year when the album finally clicked with me.

Phenomenal album.

HotHamBoy

My favourite too.

Still waiting for another good album. Come on Thom, for old times sake.

1) Few bands ever provide the world with ONE mind-blowing iconic record

2) A rare few among those that do have managed to release more than one

3) Radiohead followed up theirs with Kid A, which is even better.

4) Radiohead's batting average for great albums is better than 99.999% of musical acts.

Nugg

20 years later, still my favorite album of all time

I thought this didn't come out until like may or June in 97?

Yep you're right actually. May 21 is the earliest release (Japan). It didn't come out in the UK until June 16, and July in the US.

HotHamBoy

I take it that you didn't like A Moon Shaped Pool then? A pitty, because it's up there with their very best.

I honestly think Hail To The Thief is the only (relatively) weak post-Pablo Honey album and it still has some excellent songs.

Never understood why people shit on King of Limbs, that album is gorgeous.

groansey

I understand for some people this is the greatest, deepest album, but I always thought it was incredibly overrated and not even the best Radiohead album. Such a worthless, subjective accolade, but like lots of men of a certain age think citing this album makes them sophisticated musos. There's people on this forum frequently quote lyrics as if RH lyrics aren't vague sixth form nonsense.

"We've taken guitar music as far is it can go"

Sure, Thomas.

The Bends, Amnesiac, In Rainbows and Moon Shaped Poo are all better RH albums.

Cheekygrin

Neo Member
When the album was still fresh, they appeared on Later With Jools Holland and opened the show with a live version of Paranoid Android, which was just mind blowing.

from nme.com
There’s a huge amount of love for this performance of ‘Paranoid Android’, from Radiohead’s 1997 album ‘OK Computer’. Its six minutes are almost a cinematic experience – the lighting and camerawork perfectly complement the faultless rendition of the song itself. Does it get any better than this?

https://vimeo.com/98268317

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I understand for some people this is the greatest, deepest album, but I always thought it was incredibly overrated and not even the best Radiohead album. Such a worthless, subjective accolade, but like lots of men of a certain age think citing this album makes them sophisticated musos. There's people on this forum frequently quote lyrics as if RH lyrics aren't vague sixth form nonsense.

"We've taken guitar music as far is it can go"

Sure, Thomas.

The Bends, Amnesiac, In Rainbows and Moon Shaped Poo are all better RH albums.

It's ok

When the album was still fresh, they appeared on Later With Jools Holland and opened the show with a live version of Paranoid Android, which was just mind blowing.

from nme.com

https://vimeo.com/98268317

Wow, I've never seen this one. 16:9 and good production quality!

lmao-gif.gif

Altazor

amnesiac > kid a

Amnesiac, while excellent, has the worse version of "Morning Bell", so it can't be the best.

Never understood why people shit on King of Limbs, that album is gorgeous.

it took a long time (as in "years") to click with me, but when it did... damn. It's definitely an album of two distinct halves: the first, tightly rhythmic; the second, much more atmospheric.
EDIT: I do think, however, that "Staircase" should've been there. Man I love that song.

Blader

What a shame that Lift never made the cut.

Amnesiac, while excellent, has the worse version of "Morning Bell", so it can't be the best.

it took a long time (as in "years") to click with me, but when it did... damn. It's definitely an album of two distinct halves: the first, tightly rhythmic; the second, much more atmospheric.
EDIT: I do think, however, that "Staircase" should've been there. Man I love that song.

Yeah, TKOL took me a while too, but the live arrangements and especially the From the Basement show gave me a newfound appreciation for the album. It's a good album for a certain kind of mood (or getting you into a certain kind of mood).

And Staircase is a great jam.

Ah yes. OK Computer. Radiohead's best album, and their second- and third-best, also probably their fourth. And then there's Kid A, and then the rest.
The best album changes with the seasons. :).

And goddamn, airbag still hits your head with such a cacophony of textures.

Yep I'm on Neogaf alright

While I agree it's a hyperbolic statement, there's nothing wrong with dissenting opinions.

I think It's a good album - I'd probably put it in my top maybe....100 of all time. Paranoid Android is IMO, a terrific song that has always reminded me of That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore. There are some hits & misses for me on the LP.

That having been said, I think everything they've done since is total trash and the following they have is beyond me. I'm sure if I listed my favorite LPs lots of people would think that they are garbage though, so it's all subjective.

While I agree it's a hyperbolic statement, there's nothing wrong with dissenting opinions.

I think It's a good album - I'd probably put it in my top maybe....100 of all time. Paranoid Android is IMO, a terrific song that has always reminded me of That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore. There are some hits & misses for me on the LP.

That having been said, I think everything they've done since is total trash and the following they have is beyond me. I'm sure if I listed my favorite LPs lots of people would think that they are garbage though, so it's all subjective.
Hyperbolic alright. I you want people to take you with a modicum of respect, treat them not as dupes and maybe just say you don't like them. What are your top ten albums, just so I can get a taste for your music profile, because I'm intrigued why you hold their recent putput to such low esteem.

It's fine to not like something, another to just call everyone's taste trash and then kinda sorta maybe maybe backtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom