• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

JRW

Respawn said:
I still can't believe that ending after all that. The abandoned hospital should have been switched with Capital Prime.

Yea I just finished it today and my reaction was pretty much this....

fl8TM.gif

Just finished it. Anti-climactic ending, but damn this game was just pure fun. The AI was just fun to play against. The gunplay was great, and the art direction was outstanding. I was expecting some kind of
Big ass boss in Capital Prime. Only really used my BFG ammunition 1 time and it was more or less out of just wanting to try the thing, not out of necessity

outsidah said:
I'm trying to get into this game but I'm not feeling it at all. The walking around from place to place thing is driving me mad. I guess I just wanted more of the old school just walk around and kill everything type of game but I knew this was not going to be like that. I think I'm going to take a break from it and see if I come back to it.

This game demands some sort of instant action mode. That's essentially what the co-op is, and it's fantastic, but some single player missions would be much appreciated! It would be a shame to miss out on that great combat because you don't like what's inbetween.

Adam J.

So I finally got around to playing Rage this weekend and am totally in love with it.

I'm about 8 hours in and the difficulty just got serious. I'm currently stuck in the Gearheads level and am totally getting my ass handed to my by those huge armored guys. Think I may have to go back into town to get better gear.

Between Rage and Bulletstorm, it's been a great year for goofy post apocalyptic first person shooters.

Haunted

Also, the Advanced Wingsticks are way too powerful. Cheap, homing, hitting multiple opponents and a headshot almost always instantly kills regular enemies. That's not a balanced weapon.

Damn fun to use, though! :D

Dyno

Question: I'm at the part where I've helped the Resistance and now Wellspring has become too hot for me. The Captain or whatever is saying when I'm ready it's time for us to go. Am I off to a new map section? Will I be able to go back to Wellspring and the surrounding area or will I be cut off?

Dyno said:
Question: I'm at the part where I've helped the Resistance and now Wellspring has become too hot for me. The Captain or whatever is saying when I'm ready it's time for us to go. Am I off to a new map section? Will I be able to go back to Wellspring and the surrounding area or will I be cut off?

Once you leave you can't go back

pakkit

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Once you leave you can't go back
Yes, you can. If you return to the hideout and head back to the blimp the driver will give you a return ride. It's nice because you can use your pimped out ride to cruise the land without much fear of foes.

Dyno

Whooooooo yeah! Advanced Wingsticks and Authority Enhancer! They let you build the Quake damage multiplier and you can activate it when you want to. That's the iD I know and love!

RedSwirl

Any chance in hell of the physical PC version going on any deals any time this year? I don't wanna have to download 32GB with my data cap. And how's the PC version on AMD cards now compared to when it launched?

commissar

It's cheap in the UK here (thanks to PaulLFC in the Steam thread)

Dunno about elsewhere.

And it's actually 21.7GB :) Which I'm sure won't make a jot of difference :p

Finally got around to starting this game a couple of nights ago! Three things so far:

1. God, the shotgun is awesome.

2. The people in Hagar Territory (the first settlement you come to) are a bunch of thieving tossers!

3. Does anyone know if there's a console command that inverts the mouse/camera while you're driving? The default setup is beyond annoying.

Victrix said:
Rage reviewed in three lines:

1) Amazing animation

2) Awesome gunplay

3) Everything else is terrible

I thought the vehicle aspects were done well for the kind of game it was. But ya the gunplay was great and watching enemies stumble towards you in different ways after blasting their face with a shotgun was always satisfying.

Dyno

Snkfanatic said:
I thought the vehicle aspects were done well for the kind of game it was. But ya the gunplay was great and watching enemies stumble towards you in different ways after blasting their face with a shotgun was always satisfying.

I agree with the driving. I've stop playing racing games so this aspect of Rage was perfect for me. Once you've been around a bit it's fun to just open up and take a tour of the wasteland. There are a few out of the way areas that give you good items and great scenery.

The gunplay also quite varied. I did a few side missions where I was blowing up muties that charge you constantly. Then I did a Gearhead mission and it was like a pumped up version of Call of Duty. I'm at the point where certain weapons are always loaded with specialty ammunition so there is quite a bit of fireworks going off. Looks amazing!

M.D

I've been playing this for the last week and a half and I'm enjoying it.

I'm now heading back to the
Dead City
for the second time. I'm about 5 hours in. How much do I have left?

This game is fun, but really dull and empty at the same time
I don't know if it's just me but some design elements just feel.. weird, or old.

It's just weird.. you have this big, open world, but you can't do nothing in it.
The "cities" are not really cities, and the little mini-games you can play feel like they've been added to show off in events like E3 to make it look like this game is richer than it really is.

The system you have in place for items, different bullet types and such feel appropriate for this kind of game. They're not too complex to turn it into an RPG, but they add some depth to the game. I think this game would be really boring without them.

The shooting is great, and driving the cars (or whatever they're called) is okay, but nothing more than that. I don't like to do the races.

PaulLFC

Just got this today (PC version), I've updated my graphics drivers and done the config file tweak to get 8k textures, but I'm still seeing horrible textures when I get close to objects (1, 2, 3).

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or is it just the way the game was designed with the texture tech?

eshwaaz

AgentOtaku said:
Man,

I just don't know how I feel about this one =/

The first half is pretty fantastic if a bit repetitive. The end though is just flat out repetitive (once you get to Subway town). And of course DAT ENDING

Honestly I feel bad for the artists @ id. These guys are amazingly talented and yet they're tied to such seemingly hesitant design leads who in the end, just wanted to make yet another id shooter. Whether or not this was due to the insane development time, this game was seemingly stuck in a design vacuum.
Let it be known, indeed RAGE possesses some of the best gunplay this gen (seriously, playing any other shooter immediately after a round of RAGE only compounds this) and some of the most breathtaking visuals I've yet to see in any fucking game. They're right up there with the Killzone franchise as far as i'm concerned (the epitome of art perfectly merged with tech in my eyes). I really do stick to what I said that playing RAGE is like playing a piece of concept art.
That being said, once you get past the amazing visuals and fantastic shooting, you don't have much else. This is both good and bad. Good in the sense that you're always ready for the game's goals and (for me at least) always in the mood to play it. It's just fun.
But, it's also bad in the sense as the game's mechanics can't support it's length, no matter how good it is.
The story and setup is so good yet it's seemingly thrown to the way side.

In the end, I wanted to love it but I just can't. It's still great though but as said before, id is honestly in trouble if this is all they have to show for themselves after all these years.

8/10
This is a great write-up, Otaku. I'd add that the impressiveness of the environments is seriously undermined by their completely static, non-interactive nature.

Combat is indeed excellent (as others have said - the shotgun is godly), but as an overall package I'd give it a 7.

PaulLFC

Great, my save game appears to have corrupted itself somehow. It's only set me back a couple of missions so it's not too frustrating, just strange.

I was driving the buggy, crashed and the fly out of the buggy animation played. When I was meant to respawn, all of the textures had disappeared, apart from the skybox, which appears to be getting further and further away, as if I'm falling through the ground or something.

Reloading doesn't fix it, I have to go back to an earlier save to be able to play the game.

Poimandres said:
So Rage was 4th in NPD this month, selling 550K copies.

Good show! Great game!
So all that console focus, constant delays and TV ads (at least here in Germany, guess they had even more in the US) for these sales. I don't think they can be too happy about that considering that the game is done sales-wise. Will be interesting to see if we will ever see that fabled PC patch regarding texture quality. I'd put my money on a no-show but would be pleasantly surprised it it does come out of course.

PaulLFC said:
Just got this today (PC version), I've updated my graphics drivers and done the config file tweak to get 8k textures, but I'm still seeing horrible textures when I get close to objects (1, 2, 3).

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or is it just the way the game was designed with the texture tech?
Nope, that's it. Absolutely disgraceful and you will see far worse during the game (your screens are from the beginning iirc).

DaBuddaDa

Phife Dawg said:
So all that console focus, constant delays and TV ads (at least here in Germany, guess they had even more in the US) for these sales. I don't think they can be too happy about that considering that the game is done sales-wise.
Along with a 6 year development cycle, the pedigree of id that should have pushed tons of sales and the fact that it came out October 4th, the very beginning of the five week reporting period. It's an unmitigated disaster.

DaBuddaDa said:
Along with a 6 year development cycle, the pedigree of id that should have pushed tons of sales and the fact that it came out October 4th, the very beginning of the five week reporting period. It's an unmitigated disaster.
It has certainly tarnished id's reputation. Maybe they can turn it around with Doom 4 but I'm doubtful. Will only buy on sale (first for me and an id game).

so is there any serious DLC coming? I'd really like some significant new areas to explore, new weapons/mods/ammo types would be nice but even just new environments would be great.

Great game, such a shame it doesnt get the same kind of sales as a COD as to me (single player only interests me) its a way way better game

DaBuddaDa said:

It's also a new IP coming at a late stage of the generation. Historically, it's very difficult to launch a new IP successfully so late into a generation. Unfortunately, I don't think the id name means anything to a large portion of the gaming population anymore because they've never had real exposure to their games.

Considering it placed fourth for the month, and sales are likely approaching a million, I think calling it an "unmitigated disaster" is a bit over the top. It's probably fallen well short of expectations, but I'm glad it didn't totally flop.

Dyno

Finished it. Liked it. The second half was certainly truncated and somewhat abrupt yet at the same time it probably ended when it should. It's not often an FPS campaign can last over twenty hours and this one did with me. I didn't mind the last level or ending because it was big and flashy. I could revisit it again in a year or so.

RedSwirl

The PC performance thread seems to be dead so I'll ask here about where I can find the fixed AMD driver for Windows Vista. They only seem to have it for Windows 7 and it failed to install. As-is the game is unplayable with a slow framerate and horrible texture streaming.

Playing this on my 360 with my new 47" led tv. Holy fuck this game is beautiful so far. I'm still adjusting to the lag of my new TV though, found myself bumping up the sensitivity sliders significantly.

The art direction... unfuckingbelievable.

The_Monk

Fellow GAFfers, I'm deciding to get Rage but I have one of those questions that I never like to ask, so apologies in advance:

What's the best version for this between the PS3 or the 360? I'm sorry to ask this, probably was answered many times before, but any help would be appreciated.

PS: I tried the demo on 360 and it's not up on the PSN.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Fellow GAFfers, I'm deciding to get Rage but I have one of those questions that I never like to ask, so apologies in advance:

What's the best version for this between the PS3 or the 360? I'm sorry to ask this, probably was answered many times before, but any help would be appreciated.

PS: I tried the demo on 360 and it's not up on the PSN.

The verdict of this Head2Head ends with the 360 sneaking by. You won’t be disappointed with either version, but when if comes to our scoring system the PS3 fell just a little short.

Shtof

DigitalFoundry Face-off

DigitalFoundry said:
In terms of the consoles, the purchase recommendation is very straightforward: Rage is an easy win for the Xbox 360 - if you have the hard drive attached. The dynamic resolution scaling technology works more effectively on the Microsoft platform, and there are very few instances where you feel or even recognise that you're playing a sub-HD experience - unfortunately the same cannot be said for the PlayStation 3 where the visual sleight of hand is not quite so effective.

Just finished the PC Version. Most of it looks nice maxed out, but fuck some of the textures are bad. wtf ID?

And wtf at the ending?

I was told to stock up for one hell of a firefight!

Saved the BFG and Pulse rounds expecting one hell of a firefight, and yet there was none. I had to go back to a save point just to see how the BFG looked

Hope there's a sequel.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Between all the reviews, and many of the impressions in this thread, I wasn't expecting much. Got a copy on a Black Friday sale. 360 version.

You know what? I love it. Even the overworld. It's actually an incredibly solid, arcade shooter than adopts some modern tropes, like a non-linear world and missions, but doesn't just try to copypaste the open world western RPG onto itself.

It's the kind of game that, back in the 90s, you'd imagine would have been the future of first person shooters, instead of something like Call of Duty. The comparisons to Borderlands are inevitable due to the setting, but as much as I love Borderlands, the actual execution quality here is five times Gearbox level.

I get the impression a lot of reviews called it "meh" because it wasn't a clone of Fallout 3, aka The Current Game All Games Should Be Like. So many I read even said it failed so much at being an RPG. It's not a fucking RPG. It's an Id shooter in a big world.

Satchel

Banned
Loved the demo on 360 so I bought the PS3 version yesterday (cbf with 3 discs, and my PS3 library needs growing), but fuck me the texture pop-in loading is pretty horrendous.

Loving the game though, it's awesome as fuck, and you lose so much time playing it. I just want to explore every crack and crevice of the wastelnds. Said this in another thread, but it's amazing how id have captured the feel of an old school shooter despite applying so many modern shooter features and principles.

Great game, but that texture pop-in...yikes.

RobbieNick

I have a bad feeling this will be one of those great, overlooked games of this year like Enslaved was last year. I just bought it yesterday and I'm hooked. Loving it way more than Borderlands. Rented it on PS3 at first, but that requires a 8 Gig install and my hard Drive is only 60 gig. Plus, the texture pop-in on PS3 is even worse than the 360. Yea, 360 is 3 discs, but I got a ton of hard drive space so installing is no problem.

msv

Totally baffled by the people complaining about the textures. What's the big deal? Skyrim has horrible textures at times, and no one's complaining about that, like they do here.

burgerdog

Totally baffled by the people complaining about the textures. What's the big deal? Skyrim has horrible textures at times, and no one's complaining about that, like they do here.

Bethesda never hyped up the textures. I'm sure most were expecting bad textures, and that's what we got so there was no surprise there.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bethesda never hyped up the textures. I'm sure most were expecting bad textures, and that's what we got so there was no surprise there.

id never hyped up the textures, but the texture technology. It was misunderstanding that brought about the "Rage will have the best textures ever!" myth.

Satchel

Banned
It's not the textures themselves that bother me, it's the pop-in and texture loading issues that bug me.

Now I'm wondering if I should have put up with 3 discs to avoid this jarring pop-in I'm seeing at every turn. Because I didn't notice anything remotely close to that on the 360 demo.

Top Bottom