• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Nizz

Played the demo for this on PS3 last night. 60fps FPS at 720p and a rock solid framerate, game looks great.

The controls don't feel fast enough for me though. Even with the sensitivity set to max, it still felt a bit slow. Does anyone feel the same? That clan I faced in the sewers of Wellsprings are nimble as hell and sometimes I felt like I couldn't quite track them as quickly as I wanted.

I still had a lot of fun with the demo though. If I only had enough cash. :(

RobbieNick

It's not the textures themselves that bother me, it's the pop-in and texture loading issues that bug me.

Now I'm wondering if I should have put up with 3 discs to avoid this jarring pop-in I'm seeing at every turn. Because I didn't notice anything remotely close to that on the 360 demo.

There's still some of the texture popping in the 360 version, but not near as bad as PS3 and installing helps it further.

Adam J.

I didn't even install the game on my 360, and the pop-in wasn't bad at all, save for the garage interiors (especially the subway one).

Such a gorgeous game.

lol51

92% done Steam achievements... Quick match not finding me people, so I need someone to Co-op and hit last ones:

- Complete all legends of wasteland missions
- Complete 1 legend of wasteland on nightmare difficulty (probably first one)
- Complete legend of wasteland without anyone dying (probably will hit it during the normal campaign, if not first one - normal)

If someone is interested PM me! Steam Page: here

BadData

id never hyped up the textures, but the texture technology. It was misunderstanding that brought about the "Rage will have the best textures ever!" myth.

Yeah, but it's the texture technology that is so offensive. I mean, they really thought they could get away with streaming out the textures that were just offscreen. All you need to do is stand still for a second and look to what is offscreen to break their technology. For a bullet point feature on a game that took this long to make from a company that bills itself as being on the bleeding edge of game technology, that seems pretty disappointing.

RobbieNick

Yeah, but it's the texture technology that is so offensive. I mean, they really thought they could get away with streaming out the textures that were just offscreen. All you need to do is stand still for a second and look to what is offscreen to break their technology. For a bullet point feature on a game that took this long to make from a company that bills itself as being on the bleeding edge of game technology, that seems pretty disappointing.

On PS3, it took me out of the world. I would turn my head and watch as textures close up got more and more detailed for a few seconds.

This is only a real issue on the PS3. There's still a little pop in on the 360, but it's not nearly as bad. On a reasonably modest PC, you can have no pop in at all.

Glad more people have been enjoying this game!

replaying as we speak for the first time after its initial release. texture pop in and horrible ending aside, the 60 fps, enemy a.i., animation and artistic direction really make this game great and fuck the haters. this is id doing their open world id shooter. blemishes aside its still awesome. this is the closest we are to mad max : the game at this moment in time. that is all

So other than the lack of graphical options, you can't bind Enter to anything?

Fucking great. I swear id have forgotten what's great about PC gaming. I haven't even started the game and already they've pissed me off.

Okay so with

955 Black Edition @ 3.8ghz
6950 2gb
8GB RAM

Settings on 1080p, 2xAA, small texture cache and low AF, I'm getting 30fps. What the hell? For such an underwhelming game graphically, especially with the horrendous texture pop-in, it should be running fine.

Any ideas?

Also, is there nothing you can do still about the pop-in? It's already doing my head in after 10 mins.

Aklamarth

Okay so with

955 Black Edition @ 3.8ghz
6950 2gb
8GB RAM

Settings on 1080p, 2xAA, small texture cache and low AF, I'm getting 30fps. What the hell? For such an underwhelming game graphically, especially with the horrendous texture pop-in, it should be running fine.

Any ideas?

Also, is there nothing you can do still about the pop-in? It's already doing my head in after 10 mins.

Have you updated your drivers to this ?

commissar

Have you updated your drivers?

I had pretty much no texture pop in on a c2duo and 4850, so something isn't right.

I set the cache file to a different hdd too, dunno if that helped me as I never tested it without.

edit: too slow.
Maybe try setting texture resolution in a .cfg config instead of using default?
Don't have the info withe sorry as I'm not at my pc. Should be searchable though :]

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It sucks on consoles, sure, as to maintain 60fps the engine has to chuck out anything that isn't immediately viewable by the player; meanwhile, even on my PC (3.2GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2-800, GTX 570), I see absolutely no texture pop-in whatsoever. As a side note, as far as the texture quality is concerned, that's crippled by Carmack's desire to have the game look and perform identically across all platforms - meaning both the PS3 and PC were at the mercy of the ~22GB limit imposed by the X360 version (2 discs for SP, 1 for MP).

Suffice to say, Rage would have been better off as a next-gen game.

Have you updated your drivers?

I had pretty much no texture pop in on a c2duo and 4850, so something isn't right.

I set the cache file to a different hdd too, dunno if that helped me as I never tested it without.
Hmm.

When I turn around the slightest bit all I see is TEXTURE LOADING TEXTURE LOADING... THERE IT IS. And then the textures look horrible to boot! :(

Not sure what's going on then...

.la1n

On PS3, it took me out of the world. I would turn my head and watch as textures close up got more and more detailed for a few seconds.

Honestly I noticed a few times then quickly forgot. Also, everyone really should give the game a shot - it's much better than I was lead to believe.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Realistically... is there any way they can fix the texture pop on PS3? Will they even try?

I tried to play this again... but the shit makes me feel nauseated after only a few mins.

Right guys I've managed to fix my problem. It was quite a complex process, but I'll be nice and share with you guys:

Reboot your PC.

Seems to have done the trick. Solid 60 with everything on max.

JaseC

Right guys I've managed to fix my problem. It was quite a complex process, but I'll be nice and share with you guys:

Reboot your PC.

Seems to have done the trick. Solid 60 with everything on max. Still lots of pop-in though which is fucking disgraceful.

Did you set the in-game texture cache size option to its highest value?

Yeah I forgot to change that which is why I edited it out. You caught me!

Seems alright now. I'll take ugly, fully loaded textures to ugly, not loaded in textures.

Time to actually experience the game. I have a whole free day so I hope it hooks me.

Business

I beat the game on PC and yesterday I tried the PS3 demo and was actually impressed at how good it looks. Really impressive graphics, specially considering it runs at 60fps. I played it just after trying the R3 demo and probably that made it seem even better.

Sean

Banned
Can someone spoil the ending for me please?

It has one of the worst and most abrupt endings in the history of video games. Basically all of a sudden an achievement will pop up saying that you've completed the game, and as you're sitting there thinking to yourself "What the fuck?", a horrible looking 20 second CG cutscene plays and then the credits roll. RAGE.

Here's a video of the ending on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDKhlRCxNQg

JaseC

Yeah I forgot to change that which is why I edited it out. You caught me!

Seems alright now. I'll take ugly, fully loaded textures to ugly, not loaded in textures.

Time to actually experience the game. I have a whole free day so I hope it hooks me.

It certainly is the lesser of two evils.

It has an ending typical of id games. Basically all of a sudden an achievement will pop up saying that you've completed the game, and as you're sitting there thinking to yourself "What the fuck?", a horrible looking 20 second CG cutscene plays and then the credits roll. RAGE.

Here's a video of the ending on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDKhlRCxNQg

Fixed.

Just been given the crossbow and I feel like the introduction to the game is over now. I'm liking it quite a bit. It feels like Borderlands with better shooting mechanics, but less interesting characters. The driving is a lot better than I expected it to be (using 360 pad).

I think I'm going to like it quite a bit. Will sink more time in after lunch!

So the game is fairly good but I think that's the highest praise I can give it. It doesn't excel in any area and I think this is the game that finally made me realise I'm well and truly bored of the sparse, apocalyptic settings for games. It's fun to drive around a bit and shoot guys in the face with a beefy shotgun, but it's definitely not the game I hoped it would be when it was first announced.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally tried out the PS3 demo. While in Wellsprings, I was pleasantly surprised by the visuals. The framerate was so nice and even though the textures weren't amazing and the aliasing was heavily present, everything came together really well as a package. It seemed like a great looking game for PS3. I wasn't noticing any texture loading issues. The first thing I did was run around the city looking at things and talking to people. I tried a race, which was really basic and not very fun. It reminded me of a more advanced version of the racing minigames in Sly Cooper. Then the mayor asked me to take my clothes off and I finally got around to shooting stuff.

Suddenly I was noticing the textures loading everywhere. I found it odd that the city looked great but this drab, contained sewerish area had major issues with the texture streaming. The visuals were not the biggest problem, though. It was literally just a bunch of enemies jumping out at me whenever I passed by an invisible trigger. You can argue that any FPS can be broken down this way, but it was incredibly obvious here. It felt generic as hell. I was bored before I was halfway done. I finished it anyway but immediately deleted it when I was done. This is definitely not a game for me, unfortunately. I'm glad I didn't pre-order the PC version like I was almost going to do.

BeeDog

I also tried the PS3 demo the other day. The only good thing was the smoothness of the game, the almost-rock-solid 60 fps owns, though the low resolution mars the presentation. The actual combat felt like crap though; the weapons felt like they completely lacked any punch, despite the nice weapon sounds. The enemies just keep coming at you and bob and weave worse than the UC1 enemies. Also, the actual driving segments felt like shit too, poor physics and generally uneventful.

Didn't really like this one at all.

Wow id, can't believe you guys have YET to announce any DLC for this. I mean, it took 6 years to get out and that's it? No post game support?

JaseC

Wow id, can't believe you guys have YET to announce any DLC for this. I mean, it took 6 years to get out and that's it? No post game support?

DLC should be coming. Tim Willits said that id would wait until after release before working on any additional content, as they'll have an understanding of what people liked about the game and thus a decent foundation to build upon.

Ideally, we'd get another hub area... but that's a pipe dream.

JaseC

Well she is only of use to you for all of about 15 seconds. :p

"Hey, I can teach you how to use Wingsticks!" *hands the player some*
"Bitch, please. I grew up with Doom and Quake; I've got this."

At least, that's how I imagine the conversation would go if your avatar could talk.

In the Rage novel, Loosum
buys the farm, if you know what I mean
. Got a soft spot for the old Doom novels, so I made an effort to check out the Rage one. Not a bad piece of pulpy goodness, I might say.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Well she is only of use to you for all of about 15 seconds. :p

"Hey, I can teach you how to use Wingsticks!" *hands the player some*
"Bitch, please. I grew up with Doom and Quake; I've got this."

At least, that's how I imagine the conversation would go if your avatar could talk.

And those were the best fifteen seconds of my life, bro. :(

In the Rage novel, Loosum
buys the farm, if you know what I mean
. Got a soft spot for the old Doom novels, so I made an effort to check out the Rage one. Not a bad piece of pulpy goodness, I might say.

I didn't even know there was a Rage novel. I loved those old Doom books as a kid though, heh.

pakkit

Banned
I also tried the PS3 demo the other day. The only good thing was the smoothness of the game, the almost-rock-solid 60 fps owns, though the low resolution mars the presentation. The actual combat felt like crap though; the weapons felt like they completely lacked any punch, despite the nice weapon sounds. The enemies just keep coming at you and bob and weave worse than the UC1 enemies. Also, the actual driving segments felt like shit too, poor physics and generally uneventful.

Didn't really like this one at all.
You're going to have to play more than the demo to really get a feel for the combat... The first half of the game is essentially a long tutorial where you unlock your full arsenal. By the end of the game, I was a total badass. Felt good.

BeeDog

You're going to have to play more than the demo to really get a feel for the combat... The first half of the game is essentially a long tutorial where you unlock your full arsenal. By the end of the game, I was a total badass. Felt good.

Sure, it wouldn't be the first time my opinion turned around after playing more (hello, Arkham City). But this year has been packed, and the demo did absolutely nothing for me so I don't feel I'm missing out at all. I guess that's the price id will pay for putting out a bad demo, in my humble opinion. :p

So I've just joined the resistance and the game is really starting to pick up. I've got cool shit, I'm doing more unique and interesting missions and HOLY FUCK are the animations great in this game. Nothing like having a mutant jump onto a door frame, then run towards you like a nutter, or run against the wall and do that crazy Matrix-y flip move. They just look so awesome. It definitely helps with the gunplay too because when you hit someone you can really feel the impact through the animations.

This game is wasted with the open world. Too much am I going to the sheriff, being sent somewhere which is a fairly long drive, to flick a switch and pick something up only to drive straight back. Fucking boring. The world is void of personality and is just boring to drive through, as well.

The linear levels (like the dead city or whatever it's called and the sewers) are so amazing, top class id design. If this game was a focused, linear game I think it would be one of the best of the year. As it stands, I have to put up with the open world crap to get to the real meat of the game. Shame.

Hopefully these linear levels will only increase now I'm part of the resistance. My next stop is the prison to save their leader, which sounds cool.

commissar

This game is wasted with the open world. Too much am I going to the sheriff, being sent somewhere which is a fairly long drive, to flick a switch and pick something up only to drive straight back. Fucking boring. The world is void of personality and is just boring to drive through, as well.
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who loved the environments :n

I can only be impressed by so many post-apocalyptic wastelands. Two Fallout games, Borderlands, etc etc.

It does nothing new. I can't be impressed by that.

Like I said, the unique, linear areas are awesome, though.

mf.luder

Played the demo last week and enjoyed it. Will definitely pick up the game once it drops some more dollars, maybe boxing day.

I forget what level of difficulty I played on but things seemed hard as hell to kill and could definitely do a shit tonne of damage.

Loxley

Just finished the game (PS3 version). Loved the gameplay and had a great time throughout, including the car combat surprisingly enough.

That ending though...what a fucking cop-out. Total disappointment.

Top Bottom