• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

DarkChild

Banned
I think IGN got its review right. I mean, they praised what you expected from id - groundbreaking visuals and great shooting, unfortunatly story probably sucks and thats what brings down the whole experience a bit. Mind you, it still sound like amazing game for all FPS lovers (myself included) but I'm glad that people finally recognize that for 9+ you have to have more than just pretty graphics and great shooting.

Can't wait to play it, my copy has arrived :D

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Is this the... Ermmm... Quake V logo?

2Yl3S.jpg

Smokey

greenry said:
Running SLI GTX 560ti with the latest beta drivers and no problems here. Graphics are kind of blowing me away.

jimmypop said:
SLI GTX 560Ti w/ latest beta drivers (Win7 x6). No framerate/hitching issues.

IoCaster said:
Running on GTX 580, 3D 120hz monitor, (8xAA, 2xSS, 16xAF, Triple Buff and Vsync all set with Nvidia Inspector). EDIT: Using Nvidia 285.38 BETA drivers.

Game is running silky smooth with frame rate locked @60 with no dips. Other than some blurry textures close-up and some minor pop-up occasionally when making quick turns I haven't had any problems with the graphics. I'd definitely like to increase FOV and make a few tweaks, but I'm not having any game breaking issues so far.

Great news. Sounds like it should be alright for Green Team then. Good to see some SLI reports, as I'm running 580 SLI. I'm expecting to run this game at 120fps+, and in 3D. Gonna crush this game.

taoofjord

Played a bit on PC here. Game is gorgeous but textures up close are pretty awful. It's inexcusable to not allow PC gamers to tweak the settings. Still, it's one of the most gorgeous games out there and the engine is very impressive.

It still feels like an amateur attempt at creating a AAA game though:

- Weird transitions from cutscenes to gameplay
- Jarring tutorial pop-ups
- Combat is boring with unsatisfying visual feedback from the enemies (thus far)
- Driving is TERRIBLE. It feels like I'm driving a vehicle in a PC game from the 90s. No physics just turning the "camera".
- No physics on most objects in the game world
- Sound for the pistol is awful, same goes for other things... perhaps it's a bug because it doesn't sound like I think it's supposed to. Too bad I can't change the settings...

I'm extremely early on obviously, but I'm unimpressed save for the gorgeous graphics.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Well I can't really comment on the quality of the game itself because, well, I have an AMD card :(

I can say though that the audio quality in the intro movie is ABHORRENT. It would have been quite beautiful if I wasn't trying to claw my ears off from all the distortion. The sound quality from the FMV in Quake 2 was better than this!

Mohonky

So whats the verdict....

I like Achievements, but PC's are getting way beyond what's achievable on a console. So;

Xbox360 for achievements?
Or will it look vastly superior on my PC (i7 920, 6gb DDR3, 1.2gb GTX570)?

If the PC is only marginally better at what settings I can run the game at on PC, I will get Xbox360 for achievements. However if my PC is going to blow the Xbox360 version away visually, will get on PC.

Also I'll be using 360 pad either way simply because mouse + keyboard isn't viable laying in bed in front of home theatre.

D6AMIA6N

Too much of a mixed bag. Nothing I've read on GAF, or otherwise has made RAGE sound like a day one purchase. Son I am disappoint, pre-order cancelled.

EDIT: Back to Gears

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Aw I was hoping there'd be a RAGE demo to see how it ran on my PC. Ah well. Looks like a pretty cool game judging by the Quick Look on Giant Bomb.

taoofjord said:
Played a bit on PC here. Game is gorgeous but textures up close are pretty awful. It's inexcusable to not allow PC gamers to tweak the settings. Still, it's one of the most gorgeous games out there and the engine is very impressive.

It still feels like an amateur attempt at creating a AAA game though:

- Jarring tutorial pop-ups
- Combat is boring with unsatisfying visual feedback from the enemies (thus far)

What tutorials???
And you don't think when you hit enemies how they stumble around depending on where you hit them is not satisfying? the fuck? Or how they use their environment from cover to running and dodging you as satisfying?

NbyRD.jpg

(not my pic)
So the game autodetects all Hardware, and it seems that the configurator thinks that some cards have 0 MB video memory, and currently there are not way to manually override this. lol.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Haha, that is terrible but expectd from autoconfigurators. It seems that I'm skipping this for the sake of my time.

Whew... GTX 560ti and I was getting the WORST screen tearing. It was unplayable. Fortunately, someone recommended NvInspector and I was able to force it there. The game is beautiful when it works. Hope you other people find a quick fix for your issues.

Solo

Foliorum Viridum said:
Also, where are the screenshots? I just checked the high res thread and none in there either.

I will be spamming the shit out of that thread in another 8 hours when I get to play. But yeah, no one has taken any shots yet.

Mohonky

Foliorum Viridum said:
You should be banned from GAF if you get a PC game on day 1 and don't post a lot of screenshots.

Edit: Cheers for vid!
Agreed, what happen to the PC Screenshot thread, was expecting it to be flooded!

I'm actually glad that Rage is coming out latter for us in PAL land now, just like Dead Island the kinks are patched out by the time we get it.

At least that's what I'm telling myself... ;)

StuBurns

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Ah fair enough. I take my smugness back!
DVD is the issue here. The PC version could be stunning, they could use the 100GB uncompressed assets if they wanted to. Carmack said people don't want stacks of 8 DVDs. I think he's wrong personally.

pottuvoi

Banned
angular graphics said:
100GB is uncompressed RGB megatextures.
Compression rate is around 1:20 so no.. uncompressed textures would be a lot bigger than 100GB.
Actually single 128k texture with 8 8bit channels (RGB,normal,specular) would be ~130GB and the game has at least 2 of those..
AgentOtaku said:
Megatextures are also used for moving objects, although it's not the same one as for static objects.
Only transparent things like grass and particles do not use MT.

StuBurns said:
DVD is the issue here. The PC version could be stunning, they could use the 100GB uncompressed assets if they wanted to. Carmack said people don't want stacks of 8 DVDs. I think he's wrong personally.
If it gives me games that look better than what's in that pictures it could be 1tb of textures for all I care!

I have tbs of space on my HDDs for a reason. Use that space, devs!

StuBurns

Banned
pottuvoi said:
Compression rate is around 1:20 so no.. uncompressed textures would be a lot bigger than 100GB.
Actually single 128k texture with 8 8bit channels (RGB,normal,specular) would be ~130GB and the game has at least 2 of those..
Carmack said when compiled the uncompressed assets which were used for the final game were about 100GB. Maybe he's wrong though.
Foliorum Viridum said:
If it gives me games that look better than what's in that pictures it could be 1tb of textures for all I care!

I have tbs of space on my HDDs for a reason. Use that space, devs!
Yeah, exactly. Most people will buy it online, so they don't need DVDs, lots of people have uncapped internet, everyone has hundreds of GB of space at the very least.

Maybe they'll change their mind and release a 'HD' version like they did for the iPhone game.

Top Bottom