• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Blackface

Banned
dark10x said:
Wait a second, ATI cards are having issues? Seriously?

If that's the case, I will be seriously disappointed. I was expecting flawless performance out of this game and there is no reason why that shouldn't be the case.

ATI is also having issues with SWTOR and BF3. Bioware hasn't fixed the SWTOR issiues for four months.

Makes me extremely pissed.

Solo

subversus said:
Caramack just tweeted that you should play Rage with the latest drivers only.

Im gonna try the current drivers first. Ill only switch back to beta if performance is poor.

Derrick01

Banned
Blackface said:
ATI is also having issues with SWTOR and BF3. Bioware hasn't fixed the SWTOR issiues for four months.

I don't expect them to fix all that much. DA2 still runs like ass on my poor nvidia machine, I can't even run it on max without it dropping to 10 fps even with the dx11 options off. The "patch" months back that was supposed to fix it gave me like 5 extra fps.

Are PS3 and Xbox 360 version 100% identical? Which one should I get? Which one would you get if you had a gun pointed at you?

need to know fast!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Texture pop-in aside, I'm having a lot of fun with the game. I've just reached Wellspring and completed my first two races. The combat is great (love the feel of the shotgun) and the vehicular gameplay is quite good, too. I'm a sucker for fetch quests (loved them in Borderlands), so the uninspired mission structure thus far is perfectly fine. Also, I played a couple of games of cards, and I can see the mini-game taking up fair chunk of my time.

If id/nvidia can fix the texture pop-in problems, I don't think I'll have any issues with the game whatsoever (I couldn't care less about the unimpressive graphics).

Rumble19

Just fired this up on my PC for about an hour.

i5 2500k, gtx 570

Game ran flawlessly and looked great. Sure, there are low textures on things like vending machines, but honestly you wont notice it unless you are right up next to it looking for it. Hopefully there is a patch out soon to fix all the problems people are having.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Blackface said:

What issues are there with BF3? I tried the beta on my 5870 and the performance was flawless (60 fps 99% of the time at High). Going up to ultra is still very smooth, but it drops into the 40s regularly during busy sections.

I'd be happy to switch to an nVidia card if I could confirm that monitor cloning wasn't still fucked up. Every nVidia card I've tested (8800GT, GTX260, and GTX460) displays tearing artifacts on the second screen in my setup and also causes the "24 Hz" bug in many DX10 games. The 5870 works so much better in my setup, but then I run into issues like this.

garath

So I wake up and find almost 30 more pages lol.

Looks like the PC version isn't going so smoothly :( On the bright side, I'm already seeing people talk about the console and cvars. Configurable as ever - FOV, mouse accel, etc.

My amazon copy is coming today. Fortunately I have an nvidia card but it sounds like I'm still in for a rough ride.

I guess the reviews are shadowed a little by the PC problems? I saw the ars blasting, but I expected that from their obnoxious tweets about auto save.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
jett said:
I don't understand how could id of all developers fail so much with the PC release.
What happened? :0

Solo

Rumble19 said:
Just fired this up on my PC for about an hour.

i5 2500k, gtx 570

Game ran flawlessly and looked great. Sure, there are low textures on things like vending machines, but honestly you wont notice it unless you are right up next to it looking for it. Hopefully there is a patch out soon to fix all the problems people are having.

You have the same specs as me. Hyped that it will run good.

TheExodu5

Banned
reektann said:
wj5rd.jpg

John Carmack drinking the tears of PC gamers as if it was champagne. You monster.

Geoff9920

I should mention that forcing vsync via RadionPro solved the most annoying of my issues. (Why isn't there at least an in-game vsync option?) However, texture pop-in still occurs everytime I look around and performance on my 5970 feels like 30-40. I haven't had time to run fraps to verify though.

dark10x said:
What issues are there with BF3? I tried the beta on my 5870 and the performance was flawless (60 fps 99% of the time at High). Going up to ultra is still very smooth, but it drops into the 40s regularly during busy sections.

I'd be happy to switch to an nVidia card if I could confirm that monitor cloning wasn't still fucked up. Every nVidia card I've tested (8800GT, GTX260, and GTX460) displays tearing artifacts on the second screen in my setup and also causes the "24 Hz" bug in many DX10 games. The 5870 works so much better in my setup, but then I run into issues like this.

monitor cloning? is that like duplicate displays? i am running my GTX 580 flawlessly so far on the monitor and my VT 25. what is the 24hz bug?

plagiarize said:
I'm such a tech geek. Its been so long since i experienced a buggy PC game launch that I'm actually excited to faff about and try different drivers and workarounds.

Obviously that's no defense for the game being released released in the state it seems to have been released in, but I'm going to get some perverse enjoyment out of it. I remember what the doom 3 launch was like... Patching in that code into the ATI version to make the flashlight work quicker and all that mess.
Spoken like a true fanatic, always look for the positive even on the negative. You deserve praise and admiration my friend.

Bought this on ozgameshop.com for PC, so I will probably get it next week in the mail.

I'm worried about all this ATI talk now, I won't be happy if it doesn't work properly :(

The texture pop-in is really unforgivable on PC. I have a 580 and the game runs at an extremely high fps (didn't run FRAPs to find out exactly what) at 1920x1200, but it's like the game doesn't take into account the frame rate being so high, because I'll turn around quickly and have a N64 quality texture in my face until it fixes itself a second later. It's so distracting I can't play it. At least I have DS to play while they hopefully figure this out, because I'm really disappointed right now.

Twinduct

Been playing for around 4 hours. I've only noticed a few pop-ins from textures, mostly noticible when moving into a new area (aka load screen). I also noticed it when I zoomed in at random spots with the sniper, whilst in in the wasteland. the texture pop-in is quick though, nothing close to UE3 engine at the start of the current gen consoles.

Playing on PC btw. forcing Super Sampling and vsync through inspector. Some textures do look bad, but luckily I don't play the game to stare at walls.

Running around, if not on, 60fps. GTX580, 2500k, 8Gig Ram .. all stock.
Anywaym the gunplay feels tight enough, god I love the shotgun. The car handling is fine, although I'm still trying to figure out why they're not allowing camera look whilst driving (streaming issues? :p). Btw the ATV controls like complete shit, the buggy/ cars is so much better.

Btw went through the sewer that was mentioned earlier, didn't find anything important, just bits of scrap for engineering. I did find the mutant spawn rate at the start of the sewer to be annoying. Not the numbers, but rather the obvious side of it. Sewers looks like it'll be fun though, the way the mutants move reminds me of AvP.

Sound has also been fine, playing with 5.1 head sets, guns seems to carry enough WOMP! without it becoming annoying.

TBH, either I'm not that sensitive to all of these glaring tech issues. Or I'm less forgiving for those issues, since I do believe the good outweighs the bad. With the fov fixed, I'm really enjoying the game.

I really do dislike this texture pop-in stuff. I mean the game for me chugs a bit now and then but for the most part i get a good framerate for the old Nvidia card i use but damn id, way to fuck over the pc crowd with this texture pops.

54-46!

Well I'm glad I ordered Dark Souls as well, might have to put RAGE on the shelf til a patch hits.. anyone tried it with a 4890?

Definity

Solo said:
So based on what I've read so far, I think my rig will be one of the lucky ones (i5 2500, 8GB ram, GTX570) to be able to run it mostly problem free. But people are suggesting the use of the beta drivers? I tried those for The Witcher 2 and my performance was VERY poor, so I went back to the latest official drivers and got great performance. Now the opposite is true for Rage?
That is my exact setup and I can't run anything more than AAx4. If I do it has monster fucking screen tears that rip my eyes out of socket....don't get me started on the textures up close. :(

Twinduct said:
Been playing for around 4 hours. I've only noticed a few pop-ins from textures, mostly noticible when moving into a new area (aka load screen). I also noticed it when I zoomed in at random spots with the sniper, whilst in in the wasteland. the texture pop-in is quick though, nothing close to UE3 engine at the start of the current gen consoles.

But the fact of the matter is we're six years out of that on consoles, so on PC with a new engine like this there is no excuse for it to happen. And to be honest, the UE3 texture pops on consoles weren't as bad as RAGE is even on PC, because in RAGE it is happening everywhere, all the time.

I'm a very forgiving guy when it comes to games, so I am hoping this is just a tech issue that can be fixed because I really do want to play and enjoy it. But as it stands right now, I can't.

DaBuddaDa

If this had come out in 2008, it would have gotten 9s and 10s. Good thing I still really enjoy a lot of games from 2008. Diving in!

garath

Saw this posted on Steam forums:

I'm running a single gtx570.

Once I updated to the latest 285.38 beta drivers (supposed to be Rage optimized), turned on vsync, triple buffering and tweaked my fov and a few other settings in my launch settings, it looks great for me at 1920x1080 resolution.

+ cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 + image_anisotropy 16 + image_usecompression 0

- change fov from default of 80 to 100
- disable intro vids
- improve texture sharpness over distance
- use higher quality textures

Might be worth a try for the nvidia users.

TheExodu5

Banned
Twinduct said:
Running around, if not on, 60fps. GTX580, 2500k, 8Gig Ram .. all stock.
Anywaym the gunplay feels tight enough, god I love the shotgun. The car handling is fine, although I'm still trying to figure out why they're not allowing camera look whilst driving (streaming issues? :p). Btw the ATV controls like complete shit, the buggy/ cars is so much better.

-_-

Well, I'm supposed to be receiving the PC version today from Futureshop, as I pre-ordered it during E3 for $40. I guess it's going back now. $5 sale for me.

dark10x said:
Hmm, so performance on ATI cards does seem to be poor. I'm seriously crushed here.

I'll try it when I get back, but I'm tempted to just send it back unopened and buy the console version instead. I just assumed PC performance would be flawless.

This is why PC gaming gets on my nerves sometimes. It CAN be great, but then you run into this kind of shit. Anticipating a new game only to find that it doesn't work properly on your hardware for no good reason.
But chances are that even with poor performance it'll look better than consoles, so don't send it back.

legbone

holy shit. those gamersyde videos are impressive. can't wait until i get off work so i can get into some rage. i feel bad for the pc players that got a shitty port or whatever. seems you guys are always getting screwed (dead island anyone?). glad i picked this up on 360. those vids from gamersyde are jaw dropping.

Top Bottom