• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

outsida

garath said:
Saw this posted on Steam forums:

Might be worth a try for the nvidia users.
Not sure if it was the 11.9 caps, the restart or these settings but my game is running much better now.

ATI btw.

(._.)

Banned
plagiarize said:
So did ATi release a second driver for rage today, different to the one released yesterday? If so any impressions with that yet?
I have the one released on October 3rd. It really didn't fix anything. I have a feeling we will be waiting a couple weeks till RAGE works fine on ATi cards.

derFeef said:
It's the second game now with the checkered textures after Brink. Would have thought both (AMD and Beth) would have figured out a solution.. but no.

See, I was really lucky and didn't have any technical issues with Brink from the start...runs flawlessly. Not that there's any correlation or technical relationship between the two to any great length, but I do hope - on the flimsy premise of my luck with Brink - that Rage won't be a dog on my little Pavilion. Just had a very smooth few rounds of BF3 and it looked quite good, so I'm feeling quite proud of the little laptop at this point.

That said, a few patches wouldn't go astray, Carmack ol' boy.

TheExodu5

Banned
garath said:
I agree about Red Orchestra 2 and Dead Island but Deus Ex was fine day 1. I had that pre-loaded and played for about 10 hours (thanks vacation day) before even checking the internet to see the state of things.

Deus Ex had (and still has) stuttering, and the mouse lag is still there today with certain settings on. I still haven't played it due to those issues.

StuBurns said:
Regards of technical issues, this is a shooter, and no matter how long it takes them to finish the PC version, it will be in superior controls if nothing else, and for a shooter, I can't imagine any factor weighing more heavily in your platform decision.

Superior controls?

Always love this. I mean, why is it so superior? Because you can kill things that much quicker?
Unless it's a means of staying competitive ala online FPS, I don't see anything superior anymore about clicking shit to death while being hunched over my keyboard. It's merely a different input method and I really wish we could move on from this.

Guess i'm just a enjoy the ride, not the destination kinda peron.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Mastperf said:
Plenty of PC gamers on here double dip when the PC version is delayed or announced later.

Well that's just stupid. By doing that you are supporting current marketing trends of delaying the PC version.

DaBuddaDa

AgentOtaku said:
Always love this. I mean, why is it so superior? Because you can kill things that much quicker?
Because a mouse looks where I want to, when I want to, immediately. Analog sticks feel like I'm piloting a mech or something with all of the delay and acceleration and the accuracy of a shotgun spray. It's not about speed, it's about responsiveness and greater range of control.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After doing more reading, I think I'm going to return the PC version before even trying it. The 60 fps video Blim posted sold me on the console version of the game. I haven't seen a single post suggesting that I will see decent performance on my 5870. The game is clearly broken on the PC at this time. The fact that people on the steam forum are OK with getting "30-40 fps" is just not acceptable.

I agree about Red Orchestra 2 and Dead Island but Deus Ex was fine day 1. I had that pre-loaded and played for about 10 hours (thanks vacation day) before even checking the internet to see the state of things.
Deus Ex was NOT fine on day 1. The loading times were taking 30-60 seconds on most PCs for the first couple of days. Their first patch solved this and resulted in 3-5 second loading times instead.

There was also serious stuttering issues occurring for nearly everyone. They somewhat mitigated those problems with another patch and it's much smoother, but it's still not perfect (which I suspect is a limitation of the engine).

DaBuddaDa said:
Because a mouse looks where I want to, when I want to, immediately. Analog sticks feel like I'm piloting a mech or something with all of the delay and acceleration and the accuracy of a shotgun spray.

Unless it's a badly calibrated game ala console version of FarCry2, there's no reason your stick can't look where you want it to, when you want it to.
There's a reason why online shooters on console are very much flourishing today (and obviously preferred in many cases). Sure there might be some aim-assist in some cases, but people are still having fun and that's what matter regardless and not complaining.

(._.)

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Deus Ex had (and still has) stuttering, and the mouse lag is still there today with certain settings on. I still haven't played it due to those issues.
DE:HR I believe for the most part ran fine for most people at launch. It seems like a ton of people with ATi cards are having game breaking issues with this game.

Does anybody here have an ATi card plus not having any issues with the game ?

AkuMifune

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Superior controls?

Unless it's a means of staying competitive ala online FPS, I don't see anything superior anymore about clicking shit to death while being hunched over my keyboard. It's merely a different input method and I really wish we could move on from this.

Guess i'm just a enjoy the ride, not the destination kinda peron.

Let it go, he's just baiting you. When faced with a desperate situation, the subset of GAF that suffers from this weird inferiority-complex will always fall back on the ridiculous kb/m agenda. At least their numbers slowly dwindle. Enjoy whichever version you like, it makes no difference. I'll probably pick up the one that works best when my backlog is free, regardless of platform.

Sysgen

undercoverb0ss said:
Ugh I'm seriously tired of this bullshit with ATI. I have 6970s in CF but it looks like with all these problems I'm not going to be able to play this game.

I'm ready to sell these cards and jump ship to nvidia.

It's also nVidia. It's a sh*t release.

dark10x said:
After doing more reading, I think I'm going to return the PC version before even trying it. The 60 fps video Blim posted sold me on the console version of the game. I haven't seen a single post suggesting that I will see decent performance on my 5870. The game is clearly broken on the PC at this time. The fact that people on the steam forum are OK with getting "30-40 fps" is just not acceptable.

Deus Ex was NOT fine on day 1. The loading times were taking 30-60 seconds on most PCs for the first couple of days. Their first patch solved this and resulted in 3-5 second loading times instead.

There was also serious stuttering issues occurring for nearly everyone. They somewhat mitigated those problems with another patch and it's much smoother, but it's still not perfect (which I suspect is a limitation of the engine).

Good on you not opening your copy. Sucks for Steam users though

and yeah, as I said, Deus Ex is fucked on my AsusG73JW Notebook. Essentially wasted $40.

Mastperf said:

There's so much wrong with this I don't even know where to start. This is a game 7 years in the making...made by John Carmack and the folks at id. John Carmack...7 years. To say it should have been a safe bet is an understatement.
Please look at the posts context and sequence before emitting a judgment, because you seem out of line here. Im giving dark10x good advice when trying to make him reconsider rewarding a company that just let him down by supporting the very same product just on other platform. If he controls his anxiety a bit he could make a better judgment.

Like you point out and we fully agree i might add, id took it's sweet time in development so there's no fucking excuse for them to fuck up this badly the PC release.
dark10x said:
So I should just pirate the game instead?

Make no mistake, I will play this game one way or another. I'm not going to hold off simply because that's what a consumer should do.

I don't believe the PC version is ever going to be that much better. The only improvement is brings is image quality (higher resolution), but that alone doesn't make a huge difference. This is one of the rare instances where the console versions run as well as you'd expect a PC version of the game.

I'm happy to compensate them for the hard work they put into the console version, but am disappointed this didn't translate to the PC. Doesn't mean I'm going to avoid the game, though.
Pirating was never my suggestion. Your in hype mode dude so reason went out of the window it seems. I'll comment on your sentiments still :)

1- Image quality makes a huge difference. So your claim is kind of ironic since one of the most hyped aspects of the game are its visuals.
2-You are happy to compensate id software for the hard work they put in the version of the game you didn't purchased. For this id loves you bad :)
3-In regards to avoiding the game. No need to avoid it, im not necessarily suggesting that. But contrary to what the consumerism in the vidgame world has lead us to believe a good game will remain good even some days after the release.

Yet convinced i entered bizarro world no other way to look at it.

Spat_triate

It's pretty shameful that even Carmack couldn't lead his team to produce a polished pc product. I was going to pay full price for Rage, but now i'll wait for the steam sale.

So I haven't been able to catch up on the last couple of pages, but what are the chances we are able to return it, if we bought it on Steam?

outsida said:
Not sure if it was the 11.9 caps, the restart or these settings but my game is running much better now.

ATI btw.
Out of interest what settings are you using and what framerate are you getting?

v0mitg0d

One of my favorite things about id Software is how self-aware they are about their place in the industry. They fully realize their ability to craft graphically stunning worlds is unmatched, and they're even hip to how critics feel about their ability to tell stories--or the lack thereof--and it seemingly doesn’t concern them. This has been id Softwares modus operandi since Wolfenstein, all the way up to Doom 3. And hey, I thought Doom 3 was a lot of fun. It definitely provided enough entertainment for my $50, but that game was also released 7 years ago. The video game landscape--along with my personally preferences--has changed quite a bit. Though I love love LOVE me a gorgeous looking game, these days I need a little more than that. My praise for the creative spirit in a video game has risen over that of technical execution, and this is just one of the many reasons why I didn't fall in love with Rage.

But before we get into it, let's get some specifics out of the way. I played Rage on the Playstation 3 (this also means I have no idea how well the game performs on the PC or Xbox 360). There was an 8GB mandatory installation that took 18 minutes and 43 seconds to complete. My total game time came out to be 13 hours and 15 minutes, and that’s with completing most side-missions. According to my TV the game was running at 720P and--unfortunately, due to some tearing--it appears V-Sync has been disabled.

A MUSEUM OF RAGE--YOU CAN LOOK BUT NOT TOUCH
First and foremost, Rage--running at its much touted 60 frames per second--is simply glorious to watch in action. It is one of, if not, the most impressive graphical achievement in console gaming today. Mind you I do say that with slight hesitation because it’s not flawless. There were some rare moments of screen tearing, and this normally happened to me during highly intense combat sequences. But the single biggest issue is that some fairly egregious texture pop-in takes place throughout the entire game, and it can be really distracting too! Despite these issues, Rage still had many moments were it smacked me across the face with something stunning and, for at least a few moments, I had to stop to take it all in.

AN "OPEN" WORLD THAT'S CLOSED FOR BUSINESS
Technically speaking Rage is an open-world game, and indeed it allowed me to explore at my leisure, there just seemed to be little point to it. The world is surprisingly small, and...barren (hoho). The few, narrow roads that line the landscape come across as nothing more than hallways that led me to my next destination. Only having a few smallish open areas for arena-type battles weren't enough to make up for that fact either. There was no sense of discovery for me, and in a world that looks this good that's criminal. It's SO disappointing!

The encounters with patrolling bandits did kept things interesting for a few hours but after a while the whole process ran a little long in the tooth. Eventually I found myself driving around these encounters to avoid all vehicle combat because it just wasn't rewarding enough. There are no experience points to be earn by killing them, the bandit bounties are marginally worthwhile, and frankly these encounters are just not as fun as the first-person segments--why not move on, right?

One things that was immediately apparent early on was the wonderful design of the landscape. Unfortunately the rocky structures and hills are littered with invisible walls. Perhaps I’ve played too much Fallout New Vegas, but I really wanted to explore those magnificent looking mountains to see if I could find a random cave--not happening.

Included in the game is a mini-map to help you get around the wasteland, and it’s a big help too. Whenever a new mission is acquired a marker will pointing you in the right direction, but what would have been even more helpful is if there was an overworld map too. If you’re like me and want something like that then you’ll have to go to the manual because it’s located there--what?

SOLID GAMEPLAY MECHANICS GO BOOM
The first time I used ironsight with one of the Rage weapons it became immediately clear that the shooting would feel solid. Guns in this game, like no other, appear to have a real weight to them with just the right amount of kick. There are not a ton of weapons (a la Borderlands), but I found the arsenal to be interesting and large enough to kill whatever crossed me path. The Wingstick was, without a doubt, the most fun to use in combat. I was always sure to carry a ton of them with me, because it was such a blast to play with. Later on in the game you unlock the ability to make an Advanced Wingstick, with the ability to hit multiple enemies. Yes, loved this, more of it please!

Each weapon has 4 possible ammo types, all fairly unique and cool looking when fired. There are minor upgrades (think laser sights, additional damage, etc) to purchase for weapons from a local vendors, but they're typical. Unfortunately Engineering only allows you to craft ammo and not parts for the weapons themselves, so you're essentially stuck with the same weapons throughout the entire game (save one, and that's found near the end).

A few hours into the game I was offered the option to choose a specific type of wardrobe (or class). The first options was a Wastelander, where I could look like a local and receive discounts on cash purchases. The second was a Roughneck, who has increased armor. The last was the Fabricator who has enhanced Engineering capabilities. I choose the Fabricator, but it was never really clear just how beneficial it was to my Engineering ability, and no one ever eluded to the fact that I was now someone who was crafty. Without that or perhaps class specific missions it felt like a missed opportunity to pull me into the world.

Side-missions were fine overall, but some would lead to the exact same spot more then once. In one instance I was told to clear out some mutants in the sewers--and so I did--and an hour later someone else wanted me to track down some bandit...in the same sewers. Thankfully this wasn't a very common theme throughout the game, but it’s worth mentioning. These side-missions varied from finding a relative to helping someone kill some other guys uncle to assisting someone named Stanley deliver mail. The later consist of delivering packages within a given time frame to various mailboxes that are sprinkled throughout the wasteland. Fun for a few hours, but ultimately forgettable.

One of my favorite mechanics in the game is the defibrillator mini-game. If you go down, you’re offered the chance to revive yourself by playing a little rhythm mini-game. If you’re successful you’ll not only revive yourself but you’ll send out a shock-wave that stuns the enemies surrounding you. The defibrillator recharges about every 20 minutes, so it’s not something you can abuse. It’s an original concept that’s useful, fun and engaging.

One of the more enjoyable things in Rage is Engineering. You will be able to construct a bunch of items with all the junk you collect throughout the wasteland. Things like Sentry bots, additional ammo and wingsticks, health packs and more. It’s a fun, rewarding system to use. Throughout the game you’ll come across a few locked doors here and there. These doors are only accessible with a lockgrinder, which can only be obtained through Engineering.

DRAB VEHICLE ACTION IS DRAB
The introduction of vehicles of Rage wasn’t a bad idea, but it’s unfortunate id decided to focus so much attention on them. Sure driving around the wasteland completing the Stunt jump challenges is fun for a bit, but again, it feels a little pointless after a while.

The racing action held within the cities consists of speed runs, missile challenges, mini-gun challenges and arenas battles. Competing and winning in these challenges award race flags, and this currency is the only way you can purchase upgrades for your vehicle. It was an ok time, but again after a few races I was ready to move on to ids far superior first-person segments. I’m still sitting here, tripping out that id Software made a racing game.

“THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING IS THE WORLD CANNOT BE TOUCHED, ONLY FELT”
I wouldn’t call it completely fair to say id hasn’t provide an emotional experience with Rage. Sure the story is a bit boring and the characters are shallow, but the other parts--the running and gunning--evoked raw intensity through game. Rage is a pretty fun video game, but it's hard not to step back and be disappointed. This was their time to really shine with something special. Rage should have been a game that blew us away, but it doesn't.

I’ll never forget the moment the game ended, because it was one of the few transitional moments in gaming where I honestly felt blinded sided. I sat there, stunned with controller in hand, thinking I was entering the final act, but it suddenly all ended. It was anticlimactic, uneventful and utterly disappointing. It could be one of the worst endings I’ve ever seen in a video game, it’s that bad.

With Rage it’s become apparent to me that not only has id Softwares position in the industry changed, but also they refuse to grow with the rest of us.

butts

So are the BF3 beta drivers (Nvidia) ok for this game? I will be splitting my time between this game and the BF3 beta and I dont want to reinstall drivers every time I want to switch games.

jdmonmou

I definitely have buyer's remorse after purchasing this on Steam. This game is downright unplayable in some areas. Id can release a patch to make these performance problems go away, but they cannot change the fact that this is still a pretty mediocre game. After playing through the first five missions I don't feel compelled to keep playing. This game feels like a cheap Borderlands rip-off.

datamage

dark10x said:
Yes, duplicate monitors.

With those three nVidia cards I've used in the past, the monitor designated as "monitor 2" would often display a tear line. It isn't like normal tearing, rather, a distinct split in the image that only impacted that display. Now, with the 460, it only occurred when non-native resolutions were selected, so it was less problematic, but it was still something that annoyed me.

Secondly, the 24 Hz bug crops up in a few games that use DX10 or 11 (such as Crysis and Crysis 2). Basically, if one of your monitors supports 24 Hz, the game will simply use the first and lowest refresh (which is 24) resulting in a choppy experience. There was no way to solve this, as far as I could tell, and it was annoying.

I actually played through Black Ops on my PC and the framerate was flawless for me even with SSAA enabled.

The only game I've experienced the 24Hz bug with is Crysis. And that can be remedied by hitting Alt-Enter a few times, switching back and forth between window/full-screen. It eventually switches to 60Hz. Not ideal, but doesn't take too long to fix itself.

I have not experienced the bug with any other DX10 or 11 game. (Using a 580 here.)

DaBuddaDa

Usually a wildly varying range of review scores is more indicative of preconceptions and expectations either being met or not being met, not a valid critique of what the game is. See Jim Sterling's review for a clear example. It's summed up as: "Rage is not what I was expecting, therefore it was not very good." This is endemic of games that have had protracted development cycles.

TheExodu5

Banned
datamage said:
The only game I've experienced the 24Hz bug with is Crysis. And that can be remedied by hitting Alt-Enter a few times, switching back and forth between window/full-screen. It eventually switches to 60Hz. Not ideal, but doesn't take too long to fix itself.

I have not experienced the bug with any other DX10 or 11 game. (Using a 580 here.)

Funny enough, running with SLI on locks the Heroes of Newerth menu at 24Hz.

Mastperf

Refreshment.01 said:
Please look at the posts context and sequence before emitting a judgment, because you seem out of line here. Im giving dark10x good advice when trying to make him reconsider rewarding a company that just let him down by supporting the very same product just on other platform. If he controls his anxiety a bit he could make a better judgment.

Like you point out and we fully agree i might add, id took it's sweet time in development so there's no fucking excuse for them to fuck up this badly the PC release.

Pirating was never my suggestion. Your in hype mode dude so reason went out of the window it seems. I'll comment on your sentiments still :)

1- Image quality makes a huge difference. So your claim is kind of ironic since one of the most hyped aspects of the game are its visuals.
2-You are happy to compensate id software for the hard work they put in the version of the game you didn't purchased. For this id loves you bad :)
3-In regards to avoiding the game. No need to avoid it, im not necessarily suggesting that. But contrary to what the consumerism in the vidgame world has lead us to believe a good game will remain good even some days after the release.

Yet convinced i entered bizarro world no other way to look at it.
You suggested never buying games at launch. I pointed out that this is a game that id worked on for 7 years and should have been a very safe bet considering the developer and the time in development. There's nothing new about multi-platform games performing better on one system than another, and I said nothing about blindly supporting id. He wants to play the game now and he has two other systems that currently offer a smoother experience.
The whole idea of waiting for every new release is just ridiculous to most gamers. There nothing out of line at all about disagreeing with something like that.

codhand

Stop worrying about how it runs, worry about how it plays. I thought Carmack was the solution, after playing I've realized he is part of the problem, the problem of vapid, derivative, mindless shooters that keep the genre firmly stuck in neutral.

codhand said:
Stop worrying about how it runs, worry about how it plays. I thought Carmack was the solution, after playing I've realized he is part of the problem, the problem of vapid, derivative, mindless shooters that keep the genre firmly stuck in neutral.

Dude, Carmack is a engineer, not a game designer. He was behind the tech.
Throw your criticisms at the right people at least.

DaBuddaDa

codhand said:
John Carmack has zero to do with the gameplay design of RAGE. Nada, zip. He makes the engine that runs it, nothing else.

The blame falls squarely on the shoulders of Tim Willits.

garath

dark10x said:

TheExodu5 said:

Not going to derail this thread much but like I said, I played the game for a solid 10 hours before even coming up for air - day 1. I don't have the stuttering and I don't experience the mouse lag.

The loading was bad but tolerable - you spend so much time in a single area that the couple days we had to put up with it was hardly game breaking.

For people experiencing the stuttering I can understand how it's a problem - but that didn't seem nearly as widespread as something like RAGE's texture popping or Dead Island's..... everything.

It's inevitable that PC games will have problems on some systems. There are WAY too many different configurations and driver versions. People often forget it's not just video card drivers that can cause issues. Sound card drivers are rarely kept up to date and are a big culprit in game issues. Then add in all the different peripherals with their own sets of drivers. It's just a mess. I remember a game that was crashing every time I tried to save. Drove me nuts, couldn't figure it out at all. It ended up being my setpoint drivers for my logitech mouse. Weird huh?

What I'm trying to say is I agree that buying PC games day 1 is a crap shoot. If the developer missed a popular configuration or was relying on a new driver set from a graphics card that ended up late there could be widespread problems. I think I'm going to continue the trend of taking very few risks for day 1 purchases anymore.

Derrick01

Banned
So who got the PC retail version? I can't find the CD key in here. I've got the anarchy edition code and the sewers code but those won't work until the game itself is registered. I looked on the cd's, nothing...looked in the manual, nothing.

(._.)

Banned
codhand said:
carmack isn't a game designer. He is a great engineer. he would be practically unheard of amongst gamers if DOOM wasn't made by six people and if he didn't push his work.

garath

Derrick01 said:
So who got the PC retail version? I can't find the CD key in here. I've got the anarchy edition code and the sewers code but those won't work until the game itself is registered. I looked on the cd's, nothing...looked in the manual, nothing.

Oh man. You can't be serious. That would suck majorly.

Sysgen

DaBuddaDa said:
John Carmack has zero to do with the gameplay design of RAGE. Nada, zip. He makes the engine that runs it, nothing else.

The blame falls squarely on the shoulders of Tim Willits.

There are studios that just want to make a buck and there are studios that want to push design boundaries. Can't really fault either if their product sells.

JohngPR

TheExodu5 said:

DXHR patched the stuttering issue.

Derrick01

Banned
garath said:
Oh man. You can't be serious. That would suck majorly.

Yep I can't find this son of a bitch. I'm pretty sure the code for Deus Ex was on my gamestop reciept but I just looked at that too and it doesn't appear to be there. I...don't know what to do, this is a first lol

AkuMifune

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
Usually a wildly varying range of review scores is more indicative of preconceptions and expectations either being met or not being met, not a valid critique of what the game is. See Jim Sterling's review for a clear example. It's summed up as: "Rage is not what I was expecting, therefore it was not very good." This is endemic of games that have had protracted development cycles.

I think that's a fair comment. I don't know if you'd agree, but I certainly got the sense of that when the wildly various Dead Island reviews dropped. A lot of journalists can't seem to overcome their own expectations or they hold it against a game when it was marketed differently from what it really is.

I'm not sure if that's the case here, but I can see it being an even bigger issue for Rage when it evokes so many other games, but focuses on a different aspect than they did. I can see a lot of people just not caring the shooting works better when they can't play the campaign with other people, level up or build up phat loot.

DaBuddaDa

Derrick01 said:
Yep I can't find this son of a bitch. I'm pretty sure the code for Deus Ex was on my gamestop reciept but I just looked at that too and it doesn't appear to be there. I...don't know what to do, this is a first lol
I had the same problem with the PC boxed copy of Deus Ex. There were so many codes I missed the real one and it took me like five minutes to finally notice where it was.

Put everything back in the case, close it, take a deep breath, open it and carefully go one by one through every square inch of every piece of paper and you'll find it.

If you don't...refund!?

codhand

AgentOtaku said:
Dude, Carmack is a engineer, not a game designer. He was behind the tech.
Throw your criticisms at the right people at least.

Seeing as how three people have corrected me on Carmack's job title I will concede, my criticism is misplaced, but at the end of the day he got out as the mouth piece for this game and said it was the best game he's ever made.

AEREC

butts said:
So are the BF3 beta drivers (Nvidia) ok for this game? I will be splitting my time between this game and the BF3 beta and I dont want to reinstall drivers every time I want to switch games.

Thats what im using and havent had any issues.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Would have not given a shit if the Rage single player sucked if Id had included a badass multiplayer mode. id keeps trying to be something they are not. Please id stick to making incredible engines and great competitive shooters. It seems like they are ashamed of deathmatch and see story mode as some sort higher calling...fuck that.

Top Bottom