• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

DaBuddaDa

Rage is id trying to do something new and falling on their face, but being carried to safety by what has always made them great: unbelievable graphics and rock solid gunplay.

ctrayne

DaBuddaDa said:
Because a mouse looks where I want to, when I want to, immediately. Analog sticks feel like I'm piloting a mech or something with all of the delay and acceleration and the accuracy of a shotgun spray. It's not about speed, it's about responsiveness and greater range of control.
Totally agree. I cannot play FPSes on a gamepad with any degree of accuracy. People say it's fine with a pad, but what you describe is exactly how I feel. Stuff like AssCreed, on the other hand, is fantastic with a controller.

Derrick01 said:
Yep I can't find this son of a bitch. I'm pretty sure the code for Deus Ex was on my gamestop reciept but I just looked at that too and it doesn't appear to be there. I...don't know what to do, this is a first lol
Did you buy Deus Ex at retail? My serial number was on the back cover of the manual, I think. Have you checked there for Rage?

e_i

Oh god, the flickering is horrible. I'm using a Radeon 5850 with a gig of RAM. Id, you better fix this!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Derrick01 said:
So who got the PC retail version? I can't find the CD key in here. I've got the anarchy edition code and the sewers code but those won't work until the game itself is registered. I looked on the cd's, nothing...looked in the manual, nothing.
Really? Oh man, the more I read, the more I think I should just immediately box up my PC copy and send it back.

garath

Derrick01 said:
Yep I can't find this son of a bitch. I'm pretty sure the code for Deus Ex was on my gamestop reciept but I just looked at that too and it doesn't appear to be there. I...don't know what to do, this is a first lol

I think you can take it back to Gamestop and tell them there's no code in it. They usually honor returns like that? I think I had to do it once. I haven't bought a PC game from Gamestop in ages though.

outsida

plagiarize said:
Out of interest what settings are you using and what framerate are you getting?
For starters when I say running better I mean running without stutters, audio drops and the horrible texture popins. But this was posted on the previous page

I'm running a single gtx570.

Once I updated to the latest 285.38 beta drivers (supposed to be Rage optimized), turned on vsync, triple buffering and tweaked my fov and a few other settings in my launch settings, it looks great for me at 1920x1080 resolution.

+ cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 + image_anisotropy 16 + image_usecompression 0

- change fov from default of 80 to 100
- disable intro vids
- improve texture sharpness over distance
- use higher quality textures

I added those to my launch options and the game is running much smoother. But I also installed the newest ATI caps, cut Radeon Pro off and restarted so I'm not exactly sure what helped.

This is on a M18x 2620qm, crossfired 6970's 4 gigs of ram. Running at 1080p with 2x AA and I'm getting 34-50 outside it's really up and down but the frames inside are more stable. Also I don't have the specfic Rage driver installed yet as I haven't found a modded mobility one yet.

dark10x

This is on a M18x 2620qm, crossfired 6970's 4 gigs of ram. Running at 1080p with 2x AA and I'm getting 34-45 outside it's really up and down but the frames inside are more stable. Also I don't have the specfic Rage driver installed yet as I haven't found a modded mobility one yet.
That just doesn't seem acceptable to me. 34-45 fps outside in a game that runs at 60 fps on ancient console technology? Ridiculous.

Mrbob

dark10x said:
That just doesn't seem acceptable to me. 34-45 fps outside in a game that runs at 60 fps on ancient console technology? Ridiculous.

It's also running at 60fps on the 360 which uses ATI hardware for the video too. Amazing how ID can't get the game to run at 60FPS on PC which has hardware that is around 4 to 5 generations better.

Cancelled order. Looks like a Steam sale caliber game. On top of that, pretty pathetic that you can no longer expect PC games to work at launch.

Mastperf said:
The whole idea of waiting for every new release is just ridiculous to most gamers. There nothing out of line at all about disagreeing with something like that.
Should have been more specific in your reply then. Still waiting a bit is wisest thing to do, anyway i addressed that well enough already. It seems as time goes by people become more anxious let's leave it at that.

AgentOtaku said:
Dude, Carmack is a engineer, not a game designer. He was behind the tech.
Throw your criticisms at the right people at least.
Well when the game is the shit, Carmak's the man! When the game gets the heat, Carmak's just the engineer.

So i kind of understand from where codhand is coming.

Holy shit @ PC complaints. I was considering grabbing Rage alongside Dark Souls after work today but now I'm not sure if I even want the PC version (running a GTX 570 so Ati problem is non-issue).

Derrick01

Banned
garath said:
I think you can take it back to Gamestop and tell them there's no code in it. They usually honor returns like that? I think I had to do it once. I haven't bought a PC game from Gamestop in ages though.

I'm going to call the number they give in the manual first, which I'm assuming is bethesda's tech support. Maybe I can have a code mailed to me.

This is some serious hardcore bullshit though. I've never bought a PC game before at retail that didn't come with a code. I had another person scan everything over to make sure I wasn't going insane and he couldn't find a code either.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Hey guys, I haven't been following Rage at all, but I saw this article on twitter:

Rage graphics issues point to poor console port
id accused of shoddy coding
Written by Gareth Halfacree on 04 October, 2011 News > Distractions

Rage, the latest full game from first-person-shooter veterans id Software, is finally here - for US readers, anyway - but fans are complaining that the PC version feels like little more than a rushed console port.

Rage is an important title for id, the creator of classic titles like Doom and Quake: as the first title to use the latest generation version of its in-house game engine, it's both a blockbuster title and a proof of concept which needs to succeed if it hopes to license the engine to third parties in the same way as rival Epic does with its Unreal Engine.

It's also one of the first id Software games to be developed simultaneously on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. While that shows the flexibility of the game engine, it did raise early concerns that the PC release would be a mere port of the console version.

Sadly, those fears appear to have come true. The PC version, it transpires, locks away any advanced graphics settings from the users, allowing only adjustment of overall resolution, pre-set levels of antialiasing, and brightness, plus the option to run in a full-screen or windowed mode.

While those options might seem plenty to a console gamer, they're pretty barren in terms of PC games. A more usual title would offer such tweaks as view distance, texture filtering mode, texture size, shadows, bloom, HDR, and other niceties. Such options are required on PC games so the experience can be tailored to make full use of the available hardware.

As id's engineers well know, PCs are distinct from consoles for one very simple reason: they're module. An Xbox 360 game knows that it has a certain amount of processing power, graphics capability, and memory available to it no matter what model of Xbox on which it is running. A PC game has no such expectations: one player might have a bottom-of-the-range office system, while the other has spent several thousand on a quad-SLI monster gaming rig.

To make the game playable on all systems, it's common to include the aforementioned tweaks: some players might want to turn shadows off to gain a few extra frames per second on a slower system, while others will opt to use high-resolution textures on a system with plenty of graphics RAM.

Rage's issues go beyond a lack of control, however: a key setting in gaming is vertical synchronisation, or V-sync. This locks the framerate to the refresh rate of the display, preventing an issue known as 'tearing' when there are fast-moving images on screen. Many previous id games have shipped with V-sync forced on, with no way to disable it - but not Rage.

Instead, id has opted to force V-sync to off - meaning that users with anything less than a top-of-the-range graphics card can expect to see plenty of texture tearing as they play.

The company has already been forced to release a day-one patch to resolve issues playing the title on AMD hardware, and it looks like it's going to have to follow that up with a patch for enabling V-sync if it wants to keep PC gamers
- who have long been supportive of the company's efforts since Commander Keen appeared on floppy disk - on side.
http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/10/4/rage-graphics-issues-point-poor-console-port/

Is all of that true? D:

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:

There has to be something fucked up with the PC release. I mean their recommended requirements are stupidly low. How can a crossfired 6970 not hit 60fps?

Refreshment.01 said:
Should have been more specific in your reply then. Still waiting a bit is wisest thing to do, anyway i addressed that well enough already. It seems as time goes by people become more anxious let's leave it at that.

Well when the game is the shit, Carmak's the man! When the game gets the heat, Carmak's just the engineer.

So i kind of understand from where codhand is coming.

lol, i'm not opposed to giving Willits and the rest of id their due kudos. Gotta play the game first.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I know it sucks its day one and all, but the issues will be fixed eventually.

Fantasmo

I'm not going to be able to play this for awhile but I wanted to chime in and say the PC technical problems will be worked out within 2 weeks tops. While that's a huge issue for PC players, it's also why I stopped PC gaming altogether. The power is awesome but at such a high cost, technical issues were not something I was willing to put up with especially on eagerly awaited high profile games.

That said I have a concern. If this tech is based on baked lighting, how will Doom 4 fare? I know I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely adored Doom 3 but I keep hearing how the Rage engine isn't suited for dynamic lighting. Doom 3 was Doom 3 because of lighting tech. I absolutely adored the slower pace and poorly lit creepy atmosphere :-/

outsida

dark10x said:
True but I'm hoping its because I'm not running the "Special" Rage driver. Truth be told I'm just happy the game is running finally.

Just cut a dudes head off with the wing stick... Love hate relationship with this game.

Mrbob

Ellis Kim said:
Hey guys, I haven't been following Rage at all, but I saw this article on twitter:

Is all of that true? D:

It is all true, and thankfully ID TECH 5 isn't in any other game right now. Keep ID away from ruining PC gaming with their decision making.

As much crap as Activision gets for Call of Duty, at least their teams make sure the PC version is on the ground running on day one.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Ellis Kim said:

Is all of that true? D:
I didn't purchase Rage because my backlog is already enormous, but this pretty much tells me that I won't buy it until it reaches the bargain bin. And I believe I'll have to do the same with Doom 4/Quake 4.

I love id's classics and I'm a Carmack fanboy, but that is incredibly messed up, specially considering their pedigree.

dark10x said:
Yeah. This auto settings thing should put rage at whatever settings keep it at 60 fps, otherwise what's the point?

Hopefully when it's patched up that's how it will work, along with adding options for people that don't don't want that.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Funky Papa said:
I didn't purchase Rage because my backlog is already enormous, but this pretty much tells me that I won't buy it until it reaches the bargain bin. And I believe I'll have to do the same with Doom 4/Quake 4.

I love id's classics and I'm a Carmack fanboy, but that is incredibly messed up, specially considering their pedigree.

You mean quake 5 :). We already have a crappy single player focused quake 4. Wtf ever since doom 3 id refuses to update the arena shooter. Its your bread and butter guys! Wtf

Smokey

Mrbob said:
It is all true, and thankfully ID TECH 5 isn't in any other game right now. Keep ID away from ruining PC gaming with their decision making.

At much crap as Activision gets for Call of Duty, at least their teams make sure the PC version is on the ground running on day one.

lol

My copy will be awaiting at the house after work. Decisions, Decisions....I'll probably keep it on PC. And it was only $40. Eases the sting a bit if it really is crap on my machine and I'll know not to make that mistake again with iD.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Doc Holliday said:
You mean quake 5 :). We already have a crappy single player focused quake 4. Wtf ever since doom 3 id refuses to update the arena shooter. Its your bread and butter guys! Wtf
I genuinely forgot about it.

Figures.

Truespeed

Looks like my PS3 version is going back. The level of texture pop in is just ridiculous. I don't even think this can be patched. Does the 360 version have a similar problem?

Link

Mrbob

Smokey said:
lol

My copy will be awaiting at the house after work. Decisions, Decisions....I'll probably keep it on PC. And it was only $40. Eases the sting a bit if it really is crap on my machine and I'll know not to make that mistake again with iD.

Well performance wise you are probably ok being on team green. But you are going to take screen tearing up the arse because vsync is defaulted to off and there is no way to turn it on. Plus no way to tweak individual graphical options.

Truespeed said:
Looks like my PS3 version is going back. The level of texture pop in is just ridiculous. I don't even think this can be patched. Does the 360 version have a similar problem?

Link

ID Tech 5 bomba.

Smokey said:
lol

Ultimately I'm sure the PC version will be patched up and out perform the consoles.

The question is of course, how much has it price collapsed by then?

Biggzy

bluedeviltron said:
Cancelled order. Looks like a Steam sale caliber game. On top of that, pretty pathetic that you can no longer expect PC games to work at launch.

Which is the the main reason why I will never likely to do most of my gaming on the PC unfortunately.

This game exists only in screenshots, e3 awards, carmack fans minds. Such a terrible xperience on the pc and ps3! It's not even worth the time spent listening to that stupid talk at quakecon. forget the 60$.

Doom 3 feels like uncharted, compared to this. Am pissed at how bad the pc verison is and that stooopid texture pop in on the ps3 version. Id should just die!

DaBuddaDa

Fratkabula said:
This game exists only in screenshots, e3 awards, carmack fans minds. Such a terrible xperience on the pc and ps3! It's not even worth the time spent listening to that stupid talk at quakecon. forget the 60$.

Doom 3 feels like uncharted, compared to this. Am pissed at how bad the pc verison is and that stooopid texture pop in on the ps3 version. Id should just die!
Post of the forever.

Gvaz

Banned
plagiarize said:
Ultimately I'm sure the PC version will be patched up and out perform the consoles.

The question is of course, how much has it price collapsed by then?
Yeah but when will that be? A day? A week? A month?

Karak

Truespeed said:

Link

No. At least not in the 10 + hours I have played it. But again, it seems with the PS3, people are getting wide variances on how the game performs. I had some texture thrashing while walking forward on the PS3 and while spinning, none on the 360 while walking forward. Others don't have it while walking forward on the PS3. And now you have this...

sp3000

I hope all the fools who were going on about this game not being a port are eating crow. Lets face it, carmack made a crap port and all his so called programming skills aren't worth much when he cant even bother to put vsync into his game. So much for id being a pc developer.

Here come the apologists for this game whining about how it's still a great game despite the mediocre reviews.

Hope this game bombs. Lazy ports have no business in this industry.

charsace

Mrbob said:
It's also running at 60fps on the 360 which uses ATI hardware for the video too. Amazing how ID can't get the game to run at 60FPS on PC which has hardware that is around 4 to 5 generations better.
360 is a closed system though and a little different from the pc counterparts. PC is a moving target with so many different cards in so many different generations.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Biggzy said:
Which is the the main reason why I will never likely to do most of my gaming on the PC unfortunately.
This is honestly the first game in a while to not work out of the box. Witcher 2 had minor issues, but pretty much every PC game I've played this year has worked flawlessly on my rig.

Rewmac

Banned
My rig is kinda new I've bought it 3 weeks ago, well I bought the best I could afford at the moment. I have Gigabyte Radeon 6950 1gb card. Will this be an issue for the game?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Is there anyone in this thread who has purchased the retail-boxed PC version who was able to find the Steam code in the game? My copy hasn't shipped yet and if this problem is widespread, I'm just going to cancel and pick it up as a DD when it goes on sale.

Mrbob

Think of it, this way. Zenimax was trying to save us all from the travesty of the PC version by forgetting to include the codes in the box!

Rewmac said:
My rig is kinda new I've bought it 3 weeks ago, well I bought the best I could afford at the moment. I have Gigabyte Radeon 6950 1gb card. Will this be an issue for the game?

Until a patch hits, yes. Game is having a problem with all ATI cards.

Spasm said:
Can't wait to get home and tear into my Xbox master-race version.

Haha, made me laugh out loud. Nice timing with the tone of this thread.

dark10x

thetrin said:
This is honestly the first game in a while to not work out of the box. Witcher 2 had minor issues, but pretty much every PC game I've played this year has worked flawlessly on my rig.
I wish I could say the same, but when I stop and think about it, the vast majority of PC releases I've picked up this year had issues out of the box (some worse than others). Crysis 2 is about the only one that was virtually flawless from the get go. That and Space Marine, actually.

I'm still reeling over the fact that a game with Carmack behind the scenes is struggling on nearly every PC.

Top Bottom