• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

IoCaster

ShdwDrake said:
Hrm... I have no rage config file... safe to add it?

You can create an autoexec.cfg in your /base folder and use the old "exec autoexec.cfg" in the console once you've launched the game. Any commands that you want to execute pre-game launch should be added to the launch options via desktop shortcut or Steam.

Sullichin

FINALBOSS said:
PS3 here too. I mean don't get me wrong, the games is smooth as hell, gunplay is cool, animations are amazing. But the pop-in is EXTREMELY distracting. I was under the impression that the PS3 install was PURELY textures too. L O L is all I have to say.

And this is coming from a guy who never finds framerate/aliasing to be a problem.

I pretty much agree with everything in this post. Often I'll go into an official thread, see people complaining about graphical issues, and think "Nah dudes, this game looks great, stop being so picky". Gears 3 has some pop-in during cutscenes - that i can deal with, who cares. This has constant pop-in, during gameplay, that is extremely distracting. Totally breaks immersion when I'm supposed to be staring at this beautiful world and it's just some grey globs that get detail over the course of a couple of seconds. And god forbid I look away from that vista and then back.. the textures are gone. The game is very smooth otherwise... but I can't help but be bothered by this major problem. It almost seems like a joke that the game is 60fps, you can run through areas before their textures load. :p

jett

D-Member
burgerdog said:
I told you there was cause for concern when brink ran like shit on my pc. BF3 and Witcher 2? No problem. Brink and Rage? 10 fucking FPS. Pathetic.

I just rewarded these fucks with two sales, I bought the 360 version of rage(along with ps3 dark souls!) a few minutes ago. I would have bought it used but it was cheaper to get it new because of the $20 coupon.

I guess I won't be playing Rage for a long ass time. I don't intend to upgrade this thing until the next generation of consoles arrives, and I certainly won't spend money on a PS3 version. Sad times for me, Rage was on my top 3 most anticipated fall titles...

x3sphere

I'm not having any problems with a HD6970 (latest drivers)

The only time I see blurry textures is when you turn around really fast, and it's only for a split second. Not an issue in normal play.

So any way to make the game not crash on start up? I get about a second of sound (no picture) then the game just stops. I installed those new ATI drivers but apparently they did nothing. System specs are:

ATI 6970
Intel 930 @ 3.6ghz
6 GB

Colocho

Banned
SalsaShark said:
where would i put it? its the selling point, everyone knows about it, i focused more on the story and characters.

And yes its 60fps
While it's not really a selling point, a brief mention of it for those of us who are just getting interested in the game, doesn't really hurt anyone.

Gvaz

Banned
Wallach said:
Yeah, fuck that. 95% jpgs are still lossy as fuck, just do what you're doing.
They're acceptably lossy, I'm not loading no 3MB pngs even on my 2.5mB/s download connection >:[

Karak

So ya...installed it on the work PS3 and it was worse than the slim. And I did indeed get the disappearing textures on people. Only in the first town, and not in the battle scene after you leave town. But the moment I came back, John Goodman was missing his skin:(

As I am walking out of the office our lead tech comes in.
"Hey, that's not Rage is it?" He asks.
"ya I got it for the PS3 for work."
"I was just coming to play." He holds out his hand and has the 360 version. "Take this...its dangerous out there."

More of a nerd that I am:)

Fucking bastard hahahahah. I have to put in a return for work. Which is going to suck. The HR lady is a Bitch:(

~Kinggi~

Banned
Someone explain to me why my 360 dvd drive is spinning and loading like a bastard after installing all 3 discs to the hard drive?

EekTheKat

Playing the PS3 version (after install and the launch day patch/extra content patched it)right now on an early Slim with a Momentus XT drive - only a couple instances of very minor texture pop in but the rest seems pretty damn good so far. Haven't seen one texture pop in since then.

Could've sworn I saw the dynamic framebuffer at work in one scene, but it very, very quickly recovered.

Really pretty game though. Framerate so far is really nice. Audio on PS3 so far is really good in surround.

~Kinggi~ said:
Someone explain to me why my 360 dvd drive is spinning and loading like a bastard after installing all 3 discs to the hard drive?
it's a glitch that happens on a lot of installed games. there's a work around to stop it, but i forget what it is.

played this a bit more. yeah, textures continue to pop in as you turn. i'll get a frame drop if i turn my back to a settlement and then spin around to bring it into view... going to see if defragmenting my game cache will help with that... but performance in 'instances' is a perfect sixty.

and as expected, while the game design is a bit meh... the control and feel of the gameplay isn't. so far i like the enemies. they don't just run right at you. those with melee weapons leap and sidestep and shooting them out of the air is so good.

i love the way enemies will get knocked on their ass but continue to shoot at you. no surprises there though. ID's gunplay has never been an issue in any of their games. the sound of the weapons... the response and impact of bullets... they get it.

i'm playing on hard too. seems like a 'hard' kind of game.

Sullichin

EekTheKat said:
Playing the PS3 version (after install and the launch day patch/extra content patched it)right now on an early Slim with a Momentus XT drive - only a couple instances of very minor texture pop in but the rest seems pretty damn good so far.

Could've sworn I saw the dynamic framebuffer at work in one scene, but it very, very quickly recovered.

Really pretty game though. Framerate so far is really nice. Audio on PS3 so far is really good in surround.

Try pivoting in a circle and pausing at different intervals. Do you notice the constant texture pop in?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
kamspy said:
Isnt it ATi's fault for not having the latest OpenGL?
No, not really. This game has been in development for 7 years. Are you telling me that only the very latest drivers are good enough? It should have been tested and working on ATI hardware during development, not relying on some driver that didn't yet exist.

dark10x said:
No, not really. This game has been in development for 7 years. Are you telling me that only the very latest drivers are good enough? It should have been tested and working on ATI hardware during development, not relying on some driver that didn't yet exist.
i don't think that's fair. DX 11 games were in development long before DX11 was released. devs are obviously working with beta drivers, and beta versions of the APIs. if they have to wait until the API is locked down and released before making their game, then we'd always be years behind the APIs.

that'd suck.

it's a brand new engine, that runs on a brand new version of OGL, even if it's been in development forever. of course it's going to need the latest drivers... hasn't that been par from the course for every ID game?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Technical issues aside, this game is EXTREMELY fun.
It really is. Now that I have things running well, I'm actually playing the game, and loving it.

Wallach

So I just finished the first hideout.

I can't decide if I like KB/M or controller more so far. They both handle well. Driving the ATV is much better on the controller, which I expected. I was thinking of using the controller just to drive but I might just go with it full time.

Weapons are bad ass. Desperately want to find more shotgun ammo because the double-barrel is sublime. The stupid monocular sight thing was a waste because I couldn't un-equip it, so I lost iron sights not just on the pistol, but on the double-barrel. That was pretty stupid, so I sold that shit right after I bought it. Besides that I pretty much am constantly looking for a reason to fire these things.

I love the AI and reactions from the enemies so far. One guy, I blew his knee out and he crawled behind some cover and tried to stay out of line of sight. The way they react to every shot is really satisfying.

It's funny that this time around the engine is not doing justice to the art. The first hideout alone is fucking gorgeous and every inch of it feels hand-crafted. If there's any justice id will be able to patch this game on PC because the assets their art team created for this game are amazing. Shame that we don't have less butchered textures; I hope id has learned from this because the console-parity ideal has proven to be a cancer on their development process.

Wallach

Neuromancer said:
Is the stuff in the Anarchy Edition download pack any good?

I don't have access to the armor or the vehicle, but the fists are neat and the double-barrel shotgun is wicked.

EekTheKat

Sullichin said:
Try pivoting in a circle and pausing at different intervals. Do you notice the constant texture pop in?

Found a video of it and I'm trying to reach that same area now. But from what I can tell my game so far isn't as bad as that video. I do see very few textures come in but it's like a jump from 3 to 4 instead of 1 to 4 (with 1 being super blurry to 4 being fully loaded ).

My slim's HDD is significantly faster than the stock drive though with a bigger cache. (from what I understand of Mega Texturing, this may have an impact on performance).

Gav47

Wallach said:
I don't have access to the armor or the vehicle, but the fists are neat and the double-barrel shotgun is wicked.
When you get to Wellsprings you have to choose a set of armor (for the rest of the story, or so it sounds like), one makes you take lees damage, one gives up a discount at shop and one does something with item crafting. The preorder armor gives you all three advantages. The Rat rod is ok, seems to accelerate a lot faster than other vehicles.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
So after totally uninstalling the radeon drivers, running driver sweeper, and installing the newest drivers again, the game is now running beautifully. I've been lazy lately and just been overwriting ati drivers as they come out rather than fully uninstalling first. Guess I learned my lesson. Uninstall always. Massive improvement.

DaBuddaDa

Giantbomb - 4/5 - Brad Shoemaker

Over the first couple of hours, you may find yourself coming to terms with the style of game Rage actually is, rather than the type of game you may have expected it to be based on some of its peripheral design elements. A deep and sprawling experience it's not, but as a focused, directed shooter with a few other things to do between the shooting, it hits the right notes. And damn does it look good doing it.

Well said, Brad.

Spider bot is boss! I deployed that bad boy at
Mutant Bash TV
and he just chewed those mutants up whether it was from stand off distance with guns or
his powerful melee attack

~Kinggi~

Banned
So lets try and turn this thread around into the positive and point out for those without issues (360 here) game is amazing. Holy heck 60 fps with these visuals is totally worth some weird texture pop. Which is almost non-existant btw. In fact the worst it has been was the very first area when you get outside and have that view.

Played about 3 hours so far (360), this game is on some baller shit. SO much fun to play, looks amazing, the MP is actually pretty cool. Couldn't be more pleased with the game so far.

D6AMIA6N

Why is it that every multi-plat OT turns into a PC troubleshooting clinic? It brings nothing to the conversation about the actual game. If this is what it takes to be a part of the PC "master race" then thank god I gave up on PC gaming years ago.

burgerdog

Okay, installed game to 360 and I have seen pop-in twice in 1 hour. Now that I'm playing the game at 60fps it is extremely fun. I'm loving the enemy hit reactions.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Its been a long time since I have been wowed by console graphics but this game made me say wow! (360 version)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
D6AMIA6N said:
Why is it that every multi-plat OT turns into a PC troubleshooting clinic? It brings nothing to the conversation about the actual game. If this is what it takes to be a part of the PC "master race" then thank god I gave up on PC gaming years ago.

thanks for contributing to discussion about the actual game

InertiaXr

D6AMIA6N said:

It is sounding like this is one of the worst PC ports in years as far as I can tell, although I haven't donated money/played this thing yet. Saint's Row 2 is still probably worse though.

Why is it that every console player harps on people that play PC games? It brings nothing to the conversation about the actual game. If this is what it takes to be a part of the "console race" then thank god I gave up on console gaming years ago.

D6AMIA6N said:

Becuase PC's get fucked royally for console *peasants*. That is why, i'm of the belief that development of a game that is coming out for all 3 platforms needs to start on the PC and then down ported to consoles to avoid this problem.

D6AMIA6N

subversus said:
thanks for contributing to discussion about the actual game

You too big guy.

Commercials look great, videos look great, screens look great, but still not sold. I'll be interested to see the consensus in a week or so.

Peterthumpa

Ok, I'm about to hit the purchase button 'cause clusterfucked or not, this game look really fun and I really dig the settings.

Questions though:

I've got a GTX580 and the latest 285.38 "Battlefield" beta drivers. Am I good?

I see people from the red side claiming that after this latest driver update, they're running @ 60FPS now. Is this the case with NVIDIA too?

Is the texture loading problem bad on NVIDIA's hardware to hinder gameplay?

When the textures are correctly loaded... are they good enough? Saw some pictures which (supposedly) had their textures loaded in the right manner and they were kinda low res anyway.

Top Bottom