• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey ACE Coming to PS3 and Vita in 2014

Loudninja

Since we first announced our action RPG Ragnarok Odyssey ACE back in May, we’ve gotten all kinds of questions, the most popular among them being, “What exactly is Ragnarok Odyssey ACE?” Fans want to know if it’s a DLC expansion for the original Ragnarok Odyssey, if it’s a whole new game, whether your character and/or story progress carries over, and so on. Because I’ve got a minute, in between proofreading ACE’s script and heading out to the voiceover studio, I wanted to answer some of those questions now.
Ragnarok Odyssey ACE is a full game — a revised and expanded version of the original Ragnarok Odyssey. We’ll be releasing it early next year in North America for both Vita and PS3, and up to four players will be able to cross-play between the two platforms.

Both versions will retail for $39.99. As a “thank you” to returning players on the handheld, ACE’s Vita version will ship with a bonus soundtrack CD, with 25 songs — including one very nice composition from Nobuo Uematsu, called “Roar of the Black Dragon.”
Players with existing Ragnarok Odyssey saves can import their character’s physical appearance, voice, job class, and cards (except for those equipped to clothing at the time of the transfer — those don’t carry over, and neither do cards acquired by “near”). If you’ve downloaded any of the original game’s DLC, you can bring it over to ACE just by re-downloading it from PlayStation Store.

New players and returning veterans will both take the campaign from the top, but that’s because there’s new content throughout the main story. Likewise, there are new Trophies to earn, so your Trophies from the original will stay with the original while ACE offers more Trophies for your collection.

So what kinds of new content are we talking about? To begin with, there are new skills, items, and quests, including a new 100-floor dungeon called the Tower of Yggdrasil.
More than that, we’ll be bringing over the Japanese version’s expansion patches. The 1.10 patch, which launches in Japan this week, adds new features including daily quests, online rankings, log-in bonuses, random card draws, and special rare random card draws. Our version won’t launch with it, but we’ll be releasing the patch as free post-launch content, so players will have some new features to look forward to after launch. And that’s just 1.10…

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/24/ragnarok-odyssey-ace-coming-to-ps3-and-vita-in-2014/

lonely

Held off on the first once this was announced, well that and digital only in Europe. But will import this.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
"Vita has to Many Games!"

I'm still going through the first, but the fact that this will probably let me co-op play between PS3 and Vita Versions is great. I don't have friends with Vitas, but I do have ones with PS3s....

Or, past that, wouldn't mind playing between Vita and Vita Tv.

I'm glad it's coming early next year, I might be through with the old game, and have time to recoup by then!

Hunt'n MORE monsters! Pop'n MORE Porings!

Alchemy

Neat, enjoyed the first Vita one. Dunno if it was enough to pick up 1.5 and not a true sequel, but maybe I can convince my wife to play this with me and we'll pick up both versions and play multiplayer like we did with Monster Hunter 3.

Minions

I bought it the first go around... before it became "ace edition". Don't know if I want to double dip... though I might grab it on ps3 when it gets cheap enough.

It's a phantasy star like game, instead of being a hunting like game. Dungeons instead of arenas, button mashy flashy combat instead of being tactical and attacking specific body parts.

Oh yeah? Pretty sure there are quite a few fights that are affected by attacking certain points... I remember having to ground birds from flying by breaking their wings, as well as other things on different bosses... (This was over a year ago, but I'm pretty sure what i am saying is correct)

I bought it the first go around... before it became "ace edition". Don't know if I want to double dip... though I might grab it on ps3 when it gets cheap enough.

Oh yeah? Pretty sure there are quite a few fights that are affected by attacking certain points... I remember having to ground birds from flying by breaking their wings, as well as other things on different bosses... (This was over a year ago, but I'm pretty sure what i am saying is correct)

Oh yeah forgot about the bosses, still feels more like a phantasy star rip off to me.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
is this full priced?

no discount if you own the first?

edit: oh nvm. fuck that.... wait for ps+ free or sale.

How many games even do that anyway? I hear people asking for a discount on extra bonus versions of games like this, but I personally can't think of ANY game that does that for returning customers. This does have a character/item transfer feature to the new title, however.

OmegaZero

Hopefully the new class skills change things up a bit. Certain classes got too repetitive to have fun with for me after a while (Sword Warrior, Cleric, Assassin).

Is this much more deeper combat-wise than MO?

"MO"?

If you mean Monster Hunter (MH), the answer is yes and no. Characters have more moves and abilities in this, the combat is faster paced, and you are MUCH more mobile. Despite all that, RO is less tactical and (imo) feels less satisfying to play. Combat basically feels more "mashy", with less satisfying audio and video cues. While positioning is important to avoid boss attacks, it isn't nearly as important as MH due to the increased mobility. Armor and weapon set customization also is lacking in comparison to MH, though a decent amount exists due to cards that you could collect from foes to gain new abilities or boost certain stats.

If you didn't mean MH, then whoops. :b

How many games even do that anyway? I hear people asking for a discount on extra bonus versions of games like this, but I personally can't think of ANY game that does that for returning customers. This does have a character/item transfer feature to the new title, however.
Why not offer it as an add on as well?

Nothing I read makes it seem like this couldn't be like a extreme legends add on option.

1337Sauce

Love the boxart! Never got too far into it when I purchased it the first time around on the Vita, but definitely willing to give it a go on the PS3 when it comes out.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Why not offer it as an add on as well?

Nothing I read makes it seem like this couldn't be like a extreme legends add on option.

Actually, XSEED has said that Ace has so many extensive upgrades throughout the game that it wouldn't be possible to make it as DLC. Not to mention it's on the Japanese side of things usually that has the say on how to present it.

Edit: Here's the link to a post Tom made on it: http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showtopic=27387&#entry841976

dokish

Banned
Can I download this on US PSN?

Also, putting here my post on the OT

Bumping this thread because I don't want to make a new one just for this. April is coming and Ragnarok Odyssey ACE will be available at PSN and I was thinking of downloading it since I've been a big fan of the game on PC for several years and even finished the amazing Ragnarok Tactics on PSP.

Is this game worth buying?

I glanced through GAFers impressions and also the GameFAQs board, and it seems the online community is basically dead? Also, I read somewhere that you have to choose just a "few" classes because otherwise other ones will become useless or not that powerful by itself (Priest).

I'm a Healer kind of guy and always choose this kinda of class. Will I have trouble playing this?

What`s the replayability? There's a lot of unloackables, things to collect, etc? There's a NG+? RPGs with lots of equipments and armor usually pleases me.

MSMrRound

Had old game. Wouldn't really buy it again though...gonna support XSEED through Akiba's Trip/Shinovi Versus (when it gets confirmed) and Trails FC instead.

It's a phantasy star like game, instead of being a hunting like game. Dungeons instead of arenas, button mashy flashy combat instead of being tactical and attacking specific body parts.
Oh nice. I was thinking it was another MonHun clone in a sea of MonHun clones. Might pick this up now.

ironcreed

Banned
How long of a game is this and how many locations? These are the only real questions I have. Other than that, everything looks so old school and fun.

Top Bottom