• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey ACE Coming to PS3 and Vita in 2014

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Thought the first was a real slog to get through, but here's to hoping this release improved on it in every way.

No OT
No hype..
I'd been waiting for this since last month and I'm enjoying it quite a bit,
I'm on chapter 4 now, only died once on the Grendel base protect mission.

Tried to do an EX mission with the Orc Hero and Orc Chief since killing them individually was CAKE..

got my behind handed to me on a platter.

yeah, this game gets pretty hard -__-

Seil

I enjoyed the original so I picked up Ace. Even though I imported my save data, I ended up starting a new character haha... I'm in Ch. 5 right now.

My class preferences have changed a lot and I'm not really sure if it's due to the changes or what. Originally, assassin and hunter were my favorites hands down. Still enjoy the assassin, but I can't get back into hunter at all. Surprisingly liking the sword warrior even though I found it really bland originally, too.

I enjoyed the original so I picked up Ace. Even though I imported my save data, I ended up starting a new character haha... I'm in Ch. 5 right now.

My class preferences have changed a lot and I'm not really sure if it's due to the changes or what. Originally, assassin and hunter were my favorites hands down. Still enjoy the assassin, but I can't get back into hunter at all. Surprisingly liking the sword warrior even though I found it really bland originally, too.

EX skills make a bit of a difference now, I am looking for a swordsman EX skill that spins and hurts a crowd!

I planned to go assassin, but from all the word of crits being capped at 20% the gonzo builds from RO where assassins could get 60% crit are now impossible it made that less desirable.

Any news on when this is released in Europe (for the Vita?). I was hoping it would have been released yesterday via the PSN Store but it doesn't look like it was. I can't find any official release date for the Euro release either. Otherwise I'll just import the physical USA version...

ironcreed

Banned
I never paid this much attention back when it released on Vita, as I don't own one. But I have been watching a ton of footage just to make sure it's up my alley and I am beyond sold. The gameplay and customization looks fun as hell. I'll be downloading it tonight or tomorrow.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I just finished 2-9 and I have to ask...when does the difficulty pick up? 'Cause I didn't even have to TRY to kill the
giant bird monster
. I just mashed away at it and it died. I know the difficulty picks up, since the whole reason they added AI mercenaries you can hire is because people complained about the difficulty wall in singleplayer in the original version, but when?

Seil

So I just finished 2-9 and I have to ask...when does the difficulty pick up? 'Cause I didn't even have to TRY to kill the
giant bird monster
. I just mashed away at it and it died. I know the difficulty picks up, since the whole reason they added AI mercenaries you can hire is because people complained about the difficulty wall in singleplayer in the original version, but when?

Really depends on multiple things. Entirely solo or using mercenaries? And if the former, normal or tavern mode? Tavern's scaled up even in single player and you can't hire mercenaries. Class and player skill are also a factor.

If I had to make a guess, near the end of either Ch. 3 or Ch. 5 it may pick up. It varies, though.

Seil

I can't remember if it was like this in the original, but it seems there's a massive bias in terms of weapon drops. An unfortunate one at that, as it seems you receive far fewer class-appropriate weapons x.x I had a 23 dry streak on swords last time I bothered to count lol... Same thing with assassin, but with katars. Blah.

And bought. I'll be jumping in later on tonight. Looks like this is serving as the OT for the few of us who care.

Nice. If you decide to go online, I'd be game. I'm in Ch. 7, though, so early stuff would probably melt haha. Can't wait to get past the original's content and into the new stuff x.x

Edit: Heh... Figures that after I complain about the lack of sword drops, I finally get my first Halomonas sword drop.

giant bird monster

At that point the game has barely even started, and the mercenaries are a HUGE help, I was breezing through thanks to large potions and strong weapons up to about the 4th stage, then it got real, I'm on the 5th chapter and still have yet to beat the orc hero and orc chief Extra battle, they KO my mercs way too fast for me to slash them while they're distracted..

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, it feels like they kind of ease you into everything for the first few hours in order to let you get a handle on the systems at work. That might turn some off, but there is a good bit to take in. I also like that sense of progression as more and more unlocks and you go from facing weak mobs that you can hack through to long fights with a giant that you have to be methodical with. The gameplay feels great as well and I am totally addicted.

Just as a side note, the Japanese always know how to nail the feeling of facing something that is much larger and stronger than you. Making a wrong move and getting knocked all the way across the field and seeing most of your health bar disappear in one or two shots is on glorious display here. It's Japanese games like this that I will eventually be buying a PS4 for.

This game has a pleasurable glut of bosses, sure a small few of them "seem" like reskins, but they make them different enough so you don't feel like deja vu..especially love what happens when you fight Fafnir the lizard..I was expecting the exact same fight as the other lizard and was surprised when he did things a bit differently, especially toward the end!

Yeah, it feels like they kind of ease you into everything for the first few hours in order to let you get a handle on the systems at work. That might turn some off, but there is a good bit to take in. I also like that sense of progression as more and more unlocks and you go from facing weak mobs that you can hack through to long fights with a giant that you have to be methodical with. The gameplay feels great as well and I am totally addicted.

Just as a side note, the Japanese always know how to nail the feeling of facing something that is much larger and stronger than you. Making a wrong move and getting knocked all the way across the field and seeing most of your health bar disappear in one or two shots is on glorious display here. It's Japanese games like this that I will eventually be buying a PS4 for.

Word. I've gotten farther, learned the card system and ditched refining weapons for doing "tasks" for my homoculus weapon and I'm enjoying myself a lot more than I expected!

Did you try to go toe to toe with Grendel the first time you met him? That was ..humbling for me..when you finally have to BEAT him.. that whole making a wrong move getting knocked across the play field thing happens a LOT..and its certainly glorious..

ironcreed

Banned
This game has a pleasurable glut of bosses, sure a small few of them "seem" like reskins, but they make them different enough so you don't feel like deja vu..especially love what happens when you fight Fafnir the lizard..I was expecting the exact same fight as the other lizard and was surprised when he did things a bit differently, especially toward the end!

Word. I've gotten farther, learned the card system and ditched refining weapons for doing "tasks" for my homoculus weapon and I'm enjoying myself a lot more than I expected!

Did you try to go toe to toe with Grendel the first time you met him? That was ..humbling for me..when you finally have to BEAT him.. that whole making a wrong move getting knocked across the play field thing happens a LOT..and its certainly glorious..

LOL, yes. I was of course doing the ore quest when I ran into him and learned real fast that I was not prepared. I got the rest of the ore I needed from the barrels and was happy to see the quest end, but I'm looking forward to meeting him again for a nice long battle. This really is a great game.

Seil

Nice to see people enjoying the game!

I've finished the original chapters and just did my first run in the tower which was pretty cool. Looking forward to experiencing more of the new content now that I've reached that point. Open to helping out with earlier chapters if anyone wants to go online, though.

ironcreed

Banned

I've finished the original chapters and just did my first run in the tower which was pretty cool. Looking forward to experiencing more of the new content now that I've reached that point. Open to helping out with earlier chapters if anyone wants to go online, though.

How many chapters are there and how long did it take to get to the new Tower content? I just want to get an idea of what I have to look forward to, beings I am only in chapter 2, lol.

Seil

How many chapters are there and how long did it take to get to the new Tower content? I just want to get an idea of what I have to look forward to, beings I am only in chapter 2, lol.

Old content includes 9 chapters and a lot of extra quests. I think I've clocked a bit over 20 hours going through the 9 chapters. Took my time more than necessary, but also wasn't near as slow as I could've been since I'd already done those chapters before haha.

I've no idea how much there is in the ACE content beyond the fact that the tower has 400 floors. Not sure how many new quests and whatnot will unlock while going through it.

ironcreed

Banned
Old content includes 9 chapters and a lot of extra quests. I think I've clocked a bit over 20 hours going through the 9 chapters. Took my time more than necessary, but also wasn't near as slow as I could've been since I'd already done those chapters before haha.

I've no idea how much there is in the ACE content beyond the fact that the tower has 400 floors. Not sure how many new quests and whatnot will unlock while going through it.

Sounds meaty enough. Thank you.

Vamphuntr

I got it and started it yesterday. Never played the original. So far I feel it's really shallow. From my understanding there was no Ace skills in the original? That must have been really boring.

I took a mage and I kind of regret it since you are more or less mashing buttons anyway and it appears your "spells" are simply mashing the buttons in different orders unless I'm missing something :(

Gestault

I still haven't finished the first game, despite having bought it very early on in the title's release window. Because I'm dumb.

LOL, yes. I was of course doing the ore quest when I ran into him and learned real fast that I was not prepared. I got the rest of the ore I needed from the barrels and was happy to see the quest end, but I'm looking forward to meeting him again for a nice long battle. This really is a great game.
Seriously it is, and trust me, where you are now, you're barely even starting!

Did the original game have a lot of missions where you fight 2 or more bosses at once, or are those only in the extra/ace Missions?
I got it and started it yesterday. Never played the original. So far I feel it's really shallow. From my understanding there was no Ace skills in the original? That must have been really boring.

I took a mage and I kind of regret it since you are more or less mashing buttons anyway and it appears your "spells" are simply mashing the buttons in different orders unless I'm missing something :(

you're not locked in, after a certain chapter you're free to choose whatever job you want, so don't sell those weapons yet! And yeah, i couldn't imagine this game without ace skills being as fun, but I can still see the appeal, once you start fighting actual bosses and nit just the giants, the game opens up, and you understand why you're fighting and farming and upgrading, to get stronger and kill things faster. How far are you anyway?

Vamphuntr

double post -__-

Not very far. I think I'm near the end of the first chapter. It was kind of a blind purchase. I knew what kind of game it was and was looking for a vita game to play and was really disappointed as soon as I started playing. I was expecting a minimum of customization and skills for the different jobs. And the skills are basically the order you mash buttons. Ouch. Even Phantasy Star Online on the DC had actual magic spells you could improve and that was 13 years ago.

ironcreed

Banned

The first few hours are a slow burn as you are introduced to everything and the basic 1/2 star quests early on are easy, but the giant fights are going to be where it's at. It is supposed to get quite challenging as you unlock more and progress. In which case, it will be nice to have some easier quests to grind for drops and materials.

jackal27

Banned
Never played the first so I am definitely picking this up, but my backlog is huge right now. My RPG backlog is nothing to sniff at either. I need to finish Bravely Default or Final Fantasy X HD before I drop money on this.

Seil

Did the original game have a lot of missions where you fight 2 or more bosses at once, or are those only in the extra/ace Missions?

I'm not actually sure if there are any outside of the Menia/Fenia duo in the main quests that involve two bosses at the same time. There are a few that have you fight a couple back to back, though.

Not very far. I think I'm near the end of the first chapter. It was kind of a blind purchase. I knew what kind of game it was and was looking for a vita game to play and was really disappointed as soon as I started playing. I was expecting a minimum of customization and skills for the different jobs. And the skills are basically the order you mash buttons. Ouch. Even Phantasy Star Online on the DC had actual magic spells you could improve and that was 13 years ago.

The combo system is a matter of design choice. In general, the combos will line up between the classes. Like, Tri > Tri > Tri > Tri > O will be a single target finisher and so on. I'm also not a big fan of the mage, though.

ACE skills also changed a few things. Sword Warriors could hold O to charge an attack originally, but now that's an ACE skill, for example.

But hey, the game's not perfect and it's not for everyone.

jackal27

Banned
So, how much like Monster Hunter is this? I've always like Monster Hunter, but it moves kind of slow and requires such a huge investment. Is this more pick-up-and-play friendly? It seems a bit more action oriented.

Seil

How do you get more Ace skills? I'm in Chapter 2 and there is only one I can buy.

Progressing through the chapters will unlock more. There are 5-7 ACE skills ultimately depending on the class. And you can have 3 equipped at a time. Mage gets the most, with 3 or 4 being attacks. They also get a teleport apparently.

So, how much like Monster Hunter is this? I've always like Monster Hunter, but it moves kind of slow and requires such a huge investment. Is this more pick-up-and-play friendly? It seems a bit more action oriented.

Not much at all. It's better to consider it more akin to PSO than MH. Yeah, you go through these zones on missions and kill bosses, but that's where the similarities end really. This is far more action based and fast paced, your weapons are actually drops rather than crafted. You get cards as drops which are socketed into your outfits and that's where your builds really come from. Etc.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, I'm kinda of two minds about the game so far. Now, keep in mind I'm only about 10 hours in, so any/all of this could change, and I could be completely wrong about some or all of it.

First off, the combat, which is the biggest part of the game. It's...not bad. Not great, but not bad. I don't have any problems with how it works in general, in fact I quite like it. This is probably due to the fact that in essence, it's exactly the Musou combat system. Triangle > Circle, Triangle > Triangle > Circle, etc. And I love Musou, so this has been easy to get used to. And the ACE skills are nice too. Not too much to say about them. Dashing/air dashing works rather well, but doesn't feel very "fluid", like rolling and dodging in MH. My problems with the combat come into play when talking about how it "feels", though. It just doesn't have much weight or "oomph" behind it. You rarely ever feel like you're hitting anything. I mean, the combat itself is enough fun that this doesn't become *much* of an issue, but if you're a MH vet coming into RO for the first time, it can be a bit disappointing. I'm also not sure I like just how similar all the classes feel thus far. Usually in games like this there's one or two styles I really like and gravitate towards, and several others I don't like and avoid. However in this...I can't really find any that I love or hate. They're all just...decent. I don't find myself having more fun playing one class than I do playing any other. Which is both good and bad I suppose.

The second thing is the customization. Now, granted, I haven't spent enough time with the game yet to really have grasped the whole system, but my initial impressions are that I expected a bit more from it. Most of the loot feels pointless since a large portion of it goes towards customizations that are entirely cosmetic. Clothing and headgear are basically pointless (aside from the one embedded skill that outfits seem to have), with all the *real* customization coming in the form of cards. Which again is both good and bad. It's nice to be able to make your character look exactly the way you want without worrying about stats and such. But grinding for loot and materials feels a bit hollow when you're doing it for purely cosmetic reasons instead of doing it for new equipment that will make you stronger. Now I know loot is also used to refine weapons, and that's nice. But the fact that the game seems so short on weapon types makes it a bit empty feeling. One of the cool things about MH is all the awesome looking weapon types and variants, and RO seems to largely lack that. The loot tables seem weird, as well. I'm still very early in the game, but I've already found a Bone Staff that GREATLY outclasses anything else available to the Mage at this point in the game. And my mage set is now ridiculously overpowered as a result.

I don't have much issue with the stages or the "repetitiveness" of them like some reviewers seem to. I'm a Musou/MH vet, I'm used to revisiting the same areas over and over again. The one problem I do have is that many of the areas seem very small and narrow. It feels like you spend a lot of your time fighting in small, cramped hallways rather than larger, more open areas. I also find that the camera tends to freak out a bit in smaller areas, sometimes making it impossible to see your character while in the middle of combat. That kinda sucks.

One other thing I should bring up is the AI mercenaries. From what I gather, these were added as a response to players' complaints about hitting a large difficulty wall while playing solo. However, in my experience thus far (I'm at the start of Chapter 4), they don't seem too terribly useful. Their stats are low, their equipment is bad, and they more often seem to serve as meat shields/decoys rather than actual useful fighting partners. I thought that maybe they'd scale up as you progressed through the game, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

So yeah, overall...it's taking some time for the game to grow on me, but I'm coming around on it. Slowly, but I am. I mostly just wish the loot gathering felt more important that it does. I've mostly been playing solo, but I have ventured online a little and it seemed okay. Not a ton of lag, mostly smooth. Oh, one other thing I noticed. When using the Hunter and doing any combo ender that involves multiple arrows (for example, the spread-shot one), the game noticeably lags for half a second or so. Like, just completely freezes up for a fraction of a second. Seems like a bit of a weird technical error (I'm on the PS3 version, by the way). I hope this is something that can/will be fixed in the future, since it's a bit jarring.

The second thing is the customization. Now, granted, I haven't spent enough time with the game yet to really have grasped the whole system, but my initial impressions are that I expected a bit more from it. Most of the loot feels pointless since a large portion of it goes towards customizations that are entirely cosmetic. Clothing and headgear are basically pointless (aside from the one embedded skill that outfits seem to have), with all the *real* customization coming in the form of cards. Which again is both good and bad. It's nice to be able to make your character look exactly the way you want without worrying about stats and such. But grinding for loot and materials feels a bit hollow when you're doing it for purely cosmetic reasons instead of doing it for new equipment that will make you stronger. Now I know loot is also used to refine weapons, and that's nice. But the fact that the game seems so short on weapon types makes it a bit empty feeling. One of the cool things about MH is all the awesome looking weapon types and variants, and RO seems to largely lack that. The loot tables seem weird, as well. I'm still very early in the game, but I've already found a Bone Staff that GREATLY outclasses anything else available to the Mage at this point in the game. And my mage set is now ridiculously overpowered as a result.

One other thing I should bring up is the AI mercenaries. From what I gather, these were added as a response to players' complaints about hitting a large difficulty wall while playing solo. However, in my experience thus far (I'm at the start of Chapter 4), they don't seem too terribly useful. Their stats are low, their equipment is bad, and they more often seem to serve as meat shields/decoys rather than actual useful fighting partners. I thought that maybe they'd scale up as you progressed through the game, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

So yeah, overall...it's taking some time for the game to grow on me, but I'm coming around on it. Slowly, but I am. I mostly just wish the loot gathering felt more important that it does. I've mostly been playing solo, but I have ventured online a little and it seemed okay. Not a ton of lag, mostly smooth. Oh, one other thing I noticed. When using the Hunter and doing any combo ender that involves multiple arrows (for example, the spread-shot one), the game noticeably lags for half a second or so. Like, just completely freezes up for a fraction of a second. Seems like a bit of a weird technical error (I'm on the PS3 version, by the way). I hope this is something that can/will be fixed in the future, since it's a bit jarring.

The stuff you get from the clothing store isn't purely cosmetic, you really do want those outfits that have the cards that work best for your build, and it helps that the outfits actually get pretty wild in later chapters, especially once the job restriction is dropped! if you're not on chapter 4 or 5 you're pretty much still playing the tutorial, the stages will get better, and the bosses will get more difficult, particularly the ACE missions which I may not touch all of them till endgame..

The AI partners ARE for the most part meat shields, and they serve that purpose, especially compared to the previous game solo..

Imagine some of the harder boss fights such as Grendel if he were to aggro to you 100% of the time.. that would turn a good but hard boss fight into a tedious slog, so they're there as distraction..They do level up alongside you when you go to the next chapter for sure though..and actually start doing more damage as opposed to just getting KO'd ever 4 minutes. :D There's actually a card that raises your ATK when your allies are KO'd so take advantage if you get it..

its definitely going to take a bit of an investment to really appreciate what they've achieved here..

jackal27

Banned
Not much at all. It's better to consider it more akin to PSO than MH. Yeah, you go through these zones on missions and kill bosses, but that's where the similarities end really. This is far more action based and fast paced, your weapons are actually drops rather than crafted. You get cards as drops which are socketed into your outfits and that's where your builds really come from. Etc.

Excuse while I change my pants and tell every one of my friends to buy this game.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I never played Phantasy Star Online, but always heard good things about it.

I own Monster Hunter, put in a good 10+ hours of it, and I'm really not feeling that series at all. It's mainly the lack of direction/narrative. I guess I'm just one of those guys that really enjoys the story element of RPGs as much as the other systems. Probably why I prefer Soul Sacrifice to MH.

I only played the demo of the original Ragnarok, and thought it was ok.

Is this game significantly improved over that one, and does it lean more towards Phantasy Star or Monster Hunter?

I also have Gods Eater Burst, and enjoy that more than MH. I don't hate MH, I just don't think it's for me.

Seil

Excuse while I change my pants and tell every one of my friends to buy this game.

To be honest I'm a huge fan of PSO and not liking this much so far.

Yeah, it's not an insta-buy just because one's a fan of PSO. It's just closer to PSO in terms of genre than MH. I'd recommend trying the demo for the original version first. Though ACE has some improvements, the basics of the game are still the same. Though I really don't think the game picks up until around chapter 5.

jackal27

Banned
Yeah, it's not an insta-buy just because one's a fan of PSO. It's just closer to PSO in terms of genre than MH. I'd recommend trying the demo for the original version first. Though ACE has some improvements, the basics of the game are still the same. Though I really don't think the game picks up until around chapter 5.

Hmmm... I'll go ahead and give the demo a shot, but I'm pretty easy to please. Like I said, I love both MonHun and PSO so I'm feeling pretty good about this.

EDIT: Tried the demo and really enjoyed the game play. Has a bit of a beat em style and I can get behind that. As long as thing games has a good amount of loot, I think I'll really dig this.

Seil

Hmmm... I'll go ahead and give the demo a shot, but I'm pretty easy to please. Like I said, I love both MonHun and PSO so I'm feeling pretty good about this.

EDIT: Tried the demo and really enjoyed the game play. Has a bit of a beat em style and I can get behind that. As long as thing games has a good amount of loot, I think I'll really dig this.

Glad to hear. There are hundreds of monster cards to collect and plenty of outfits/accessories to unlock. You can also extract cards from weapons to grab their skills. Weapons can have bronze, silver or gold borders with silver and gold having a lower cost to socket when carded. There's plenty to keep you hunting/farming for a while haha. Even moreso now with ACE's additions.

Quantum

I finished the original on the Vita and was going to wait to pick this up, I ended up getting the card version for the vita via amazon while I was ordering something else -

The first time I played it was so much harder without the mercs. well that and the fact I had a few cards transfer from my first 80 hours with the game.

there is a lot of grinding, a lot of playing the % boss drop for an item to expand an outfit or for a weapon upgrade.

For me it scratches the right itch.

Everything is better in this version so far - I even digitally bought the PS3 version and I'm really liking it. I'm just about to finish the game (the original part) and am excited to see the new content. Cross save is amazing - I can play at home on my ps3 and out and about on the vita.

this might be the first real use of cross-play/save I've really been about to take advantage of.

so far the new quest/upgrade weapon thing is completely lost on me- I refined a +10 tier 3 sword that destroys a 10 quest upgraded tier 2 weapon - perhaps I'm missing something.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, NOW the game's getting difficult (which is a good thing!). Just did the "Orcish Powers" extra quest and even with two AI partners, and a really good weapon and some good skills, I still ran through all my potions and almost didn't clear it.

Pangya

I've played the original and been playing a lot of ACE recently. I imported my original save over so if anyone is looking for a specific card and is playing on the Vita version, I can Near it if I have it. It seems that Assassin has been nerfed pretty badly. On the plus side, it seems Swordsman with Hjalnir Edge is more viable than in the first game.

If anyone needs help in quests or anything PM me and I can definitely help out.

OmegaZero

Is it just me or does the Vita version of this look noticeably better than the original?
I can't quite place why but there is something different.

Hunter seems buffed too. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, if someone could near me an Orcish Trans, I'd appreciate it. :b
#LazyDSBuildScrub

PSN is OmegaZero663.

Top Bottom